Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gender Update Is Here!

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    This update sounds like "Sorry, you're not invited to the party, VIP only. Wait for your turn outside"

cfb_2x10.jpg

That's because it's really difficult to do this for some languages that the game supports. For some languages you would have to rewrite entire sentences.
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,332 EA Community Manager
    logion wrote: »
    This update sounds like "Sorry, you're not invited to the party, VIP only. Wait for your turn outside"

cfb_2x10.jpg

That's because it's really difficult to do this for some languages that the game supports. For some languages you would have to rewrite entire sentences.

Spot on. We're working on bringing this update out for all languages as fast as we can, while also doing our best to ensure we get it right.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,231 Member
    edited May 2022
    @logion

They delayed My Wedding Stories world release date for Russia ... They could wait for Spanish and French at least.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,832 Member
    We still have an SDX tomorrow and another update coming soon ahead of the GP.

No offense intended to anyone, I harbor no ill will, but as someone who can relate to the subject at hand it's disheartening to see some of the reactions. I don't get it? Why can't people just be happy for others sometimes? This game means something to us too and so does this update.

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Stupid question: My game is in german, and therefore doesn't support the new update yet. If I change my game language to english in Origin now, will I get the pronoun update?

Not a stupid question at all!

Yes, you'll get the update BUT your save files won't transfer. A new folder will be created for English saves, you can try copying the save files over to the English folder but it may have..."consequences".

I'm more attached to my sims than my saves (I re-use always the same sims plus some favorite premades). I suppose I could upload them all before switching languages and afterwards get them back again from the gallery. But it sounds like a lot of work, so I'll have to sleep over this. In any case thank you for the info @EA_Cade !
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member

No offense intended to anyone, I harbor no ill will, but as someone who can relate to the subject at hand it's disheartening to see some of the reactions. I don't get it? Why can't people just be happy for others sometimes? This game means something to us too and so does this update.

There will never be an update or game release ever that someone won’t complain about. Enjoy your game and don’t let them get you down.
  • LeccaLecca Posts: 126 Member
    This is wonderful, I’m so happy to have this option in my game!! Thank you sims team for helping me and my sims to express ourselves even further!! Can’t wait to see what comes next!!
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    I think @SimGuruFrost is around. 👋

On the Sims forums? How do you know?
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    edited May 2022
    This update is cool for the people who wanted it, and I'm glad that they can have it! I'll probably mess around with it a little bit, though I won't do much with it for the most part since I usually just play with male and female Sims. I am a little nervous about the gender neutral thing though. I really don't want the game to be completely gender neutral. Terms like mother, father, policewoman, etc. (like mentioned in the update post) should still remain in the game and be unchanged for the most part. I still like these terms and want to use them for my Sims without needing to have to customize them to have them show up. That would be a lot of work just to start a save file if it meant that you had to choose what each term would be for everything. I could be misunderstanding the update post though...

I also hope that randomly generated Sims don't start using other gender pronouns when we don't want them to. I wouldn't mind some of them having these pronouns, but I think it would be difficult for me in my 100 Baby Challenge if there were barely any male Sims around, for example. I don't know how that sort of thing affects the ability to get Sims pregnant. I wouldn't want to have to go in and change them if I didn't want them to use those pronouns in my save file. If there would be a way to turn this off if it's a feature for random townies, that would be great.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,021 Member
    edited May 2022
    I think @SimGuruFrost is around. 👋
    Hey Frost, consider dragons. They can be non-binary and use custom pronouns, too.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Downloaded the update, pretty happy with the execution as it seems they've really taken the community feedback in which is good. It's there for those who want to use it, but it's not obtrusive and it's easy to play and make sims as we've always been able to if you don't want to use it
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I'm happy for anglophone players who wanted this, but please don't delay anything for inventing German pronouns. The game needs bug fixes and content.
    Onverser wrote: »
    yay.png

That was my idea :p
    I'm curious to know if the custom pronoun will allow long text like "Her Excellency" or "His Imperial Majesty"

How the game will handle the custom pronouns with feminine/masculine/plural form for the adjectives and verbs in french.

I could also use the nickname, for example Mike instead of Michael, Vicky instead of Victoria.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,832 Member
    cyncie wrote: »

There will never be an update or game release ever that someone won’t complain about. Enjoy your game and don’t let them get you down.

I know and it's not my game. It's just seeing the reactions of my forum friends. I still consider them my forum friends, that's why their reactions sting so much.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2022
    Wow! So well done! I know a lot of players were worried about this update being either too inclusive or not inclusive enough!! Great job team! 👏 👏 👏.
    It's nice to see everyone happy. The custom option is great addition too!
    My royal sims thank you👸🤴
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited May 2022
    I'm delighted!
    May the other languages come along as soon as possible!
    (Hopefully languages without gendered pronouns can be fast-tracked? Finnish?)

from the patch notes by @EA_Cade
    Making The Sims 4 more inclusive of gender neutrality is an ongoing learning and development process for us and we will continue to update this feature over time.

Glad to know. There are sure to be some wrinkles, and I feel having it available in English only is problematic, hopefully it doesn't stay that way for too long.
    For now, we hope the ability to choose your preferred and custom pronouns for your Sims will make your game feel more welcoming and kind.

It does! Thank you!
  • WolfnightsingerWolfnightsinger Posts: 22 Member
    I was curious to see how this would be handled, and I'm really pleased with the results! This was very well done! It's such an unobtrusive change, but it means a lot to people. Thank you, team!
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    Came in here to say that I'm thoroughly pleased with this update and I was looking forward to it for months. Granted, I don't really have any trans Sims but I'm very glad the option is there for people who want to use it, plus I'm loving some of the custom pronouns people have made up in this thread. This has been an excellent patch, especially in the context of games now becoming more and more inclusive these days.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited May 2022
    This is perfect for roleplaying a certain character, like how in the comment mentioned "Her Majesty/Highness/Honor" etc.

Its fortunate its made in an opt-in way, that shows respect for everyones playstyles. Im glad its not something thats imposed. Some games omit sex all together and id hate to see that happen.

If they make a feature(s) similiar for Sims 5 hopefully they will keep things opt-in so everyone gets to play their way. Hopefully no one experiences bugs that gives a character the wrong description
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    what about players that have there sims4 game install in french?
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Stupid question: My game is in german, and therefore doesn't support the new update yet. If I change my game language to english in Origin now, will I get the pronoun update?

Not a stupid question at all!

Yes, you'll get the update BUT your save files won't transfer. A new folder will be created for English saves, you can try copying the save files over to the English folder but it may have..."consequences".

Can confirm at least one report of consequences that look a lot like CAS is broken.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • EcaEca Posts: 155 Member
    Good update. Now, can we have humanic babies, please?
    giphy.gif
    Crystal Cover from Tumblr
    edited May 2022
    I guess Servos will use "it" or "they" pronouns

because "we are legion" (Mass Effect 2)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top