Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Art of Sims Storytelling

Comments

• SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited April 2022
    @haneul Good to see you about again! < 3 And thank you, I'm glad someone gets something from my word-mess posts : P I always like hearing your thoughts as well, whether it's here or in your responses to my comments on Fier. They're always insightful.

- I'm with you on the 'chosen one'. Not something I'm keen on a lot of the time. Trying to think of an example of it I like but it's not coming to me. I guess for me, it's not something I often see done with a lot of depth.
    - Your point on aces is interesting, because when I was much younger I used to hate stories about prodigal characters because they tended to be one-dimensional and sometimes the character just won everything 24/7. I realise now how it's a good set-up for a lot of things, though, and can be done really well. I love characters who excel in one field, but also are just incredibly terrible at some everyday skill or task. :D
    - YES on adorkable characters. < 3 Especially if they're normally a stoic character and then in certain circumstances they go on excitable tangents and such.
    - Villain protagonists are fun. I really want to write something where the protagonist becomes the antagonist, or you've been following the antagonist the whole time, but I've yet to get to it. Though I guess TSAHF is sort of like that in ways...
    - Sims4MT is right IMO about male characters as well. There's nothing wrong with the dark and brooding types, but at the same time it's always fun to have the sweet, gentle and generally harmless guy. First that comes to mind for me is Gawain in Yimi's story.
    they/them or she/her
    edited May 2022
    OFF-TOPIC
    This isn't a question, but I felt it relevant to post this here.
    I've spent a fair bit of time writing up a sort of SimLit 'guide'. Whilst it's mostly about my writing process, I've aimed to write it so it is useful for all kinds of authors who write in all kinds of styles, whether it's challenges, narrative or a mix of the two. It covers everything from characters, different ways to plan your story, how I go about world-building, developing initial ideas, and a list of helpful sites I'm slowly adding to it.

Instead of it having a narrow outlook on the RIGHT WAYS to do everything like a lot of advice pages I've come across, it's intended to explore different options that work for the writer. Some bits will be more relevant to your process than others. I hope it somehow comes in helpful for some of you. < 3 I intend to keep building on it as ideas come to me.
    they/them or she/her
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,752 Member
    @SnowBnuuy This is a great resource! Both for new writers and experienced ones alike 😄 And you're right, there's never one "right" way to do it when it comes to writing. There's almost as many writing styles and narrative preferences as there are people, after all.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    @_sims_Yimi Thank you < 3 I’m glad you think so. I plan to keep adding to it when I come across useful resources, but a lot of the resources are either incredibly narrow or not entirely relevant to SimLit.

I was thinking of possibly writing my own character interview, or some kind of super in-depth character building type thing to fill out, but I don’t know yet, but we’ll see!
    they/them or she/her
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,342 Member
    @SnowBnuuy Your advice is inspiring! I've got it bookmarked.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
    @GlacierSnow I’m glad it’s inspiring < 3 I was worried I’d made it overwhelming in my usual rambling ways, but I’m glad all the refining paid off. Thank you < 3
    they/them or she/her
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    @SnowBnuuy - your guide is brilliant. :heart: It's written in a way that I think would make anyone approaching SimLit for the first time feel really comfortable and more confident, which is to say that it's inspiring.
    @haneul Good to see you around again! < 3 And thank you so much. I'm really glad I've had such good feedback on it, because I worried it might have been too much- everyone on this thread knows brevity is my weak point :D When it comes to new hobbies I think part of the stress when you're doing it online is a) knowing where to start and b) sometimes other guides are incredibly narrow on how to do things as well, so I'm hoping it'll get some new people writing maybe.
    they/them or she/her
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    @SnowBnuuy I'm looking forward to reading your guide, probably tomorrow...the urge to write forum posts is irresistible tonight, so I'm riding that wave all the way to the shore. As a new-ish Simlit author, I'm looking forward to learning a lot, and my story isn't so well-established that I can't incorporate some of the ideas I get into it without having to start all over. Thanks for sharing it!
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    edited May 2022
    @MoonlightGraham No problem! I hope you get something out of it! < 3
    I have the urge to write too hence a lot of these guides and such. It'll be ages before I can write my next project but I just need to write something XD
    they/them or she/her
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    the one time i preplanned was with the benders noel and lauren played along then generaration2 came along and ayden broke all the rules in 10 sim days. his favorite rule breaking moment was well he and i got in a argument and he won. but he cheated. so i caved. that was attempt 1 but in rl i hate 3 things the beach the circus and people throwing up. ayden played that last one i think he knew my weakness.
  • HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 789 Member
    @SnowBnuuy , that really seems a very useful guide! I will for sure give a look at it, the next time I will be starting a new story. Also, I found it very encouraging toward new storytellers, which is definitively a nice touch in such a guide!
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*
    @friendsfan367 It seems the Benders seek to betray you any moment they get the chance to :D

@HermioneSims I’m glad you think so < 3 Yeah I really do hope it encourages people to give SimLit a go. Too many people hold back from trying new things because they think they won’t be ‘any good’ at it (me included) and I want people to focus more on having fun with something than trying to tick every ‘how to do X well’ box.

Also apologies to everyone for sort of derailing the thread from our usual activities. I have yet to find that screenshot I accidentally deleted off Imgur for our story description challenge, and haven’t thought of any storytelling questions to ask everyone.
    they/them or she/her
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    @friendsfan367 It seems the Benders seek to betray you any moment they get the chance to :D

@HermioneSims I’m glad you think so < 3 Yeah I really do hope it encourages people to give SimLit a go. Too many people hold back from trying new things because they think they won’t be ‘any good’ at it (me included) and I want people to focus more on having fun with something than trying to tick every ‘how to do X well’ box.

Also apologies to everyone for sort of derailing the thread from our usual activities. I have yet to find that screenshot I accidentally deleted off Imgur for our story description challenge, and haven’t thought of any storytelling questions to ask everyone.

yeahall i did was say one word ayden never heard before , NO. i told the story in the lounge basically elsa cheated so i had him cheat which complety blew up in my face cause he wanted to leave her i said no then later he gets out of bed in the night which i didn't think anything about and threw up. and i caved.
    Hi everyone, I thought that it would be funny to throw in another picture for the mini writing challenge proposed by @_sims_Yimi

What do you make of this picture?
    2n8q7uS.png
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*
  • LIL_LillyLIL_Lilly Posts: 93 Member
    edited May 2022
    Bekey, Jaklin, (aka Jacky) Morco, and flint were childhood friends. They had known each other ever cense. Jacky and flint were even dating. even though it was hot that day morco made the mistake of wearing a sweater that day. so he felt bitter towards the world, he got mad at Jaklin and insulted her to witch Flint pushed him. Jacky thought her boyfriend over reacted and thus yelled at him Bekey knew if this kept up it might end they friendship she cut in on purpose to make them mad at her instead of each other this backfired and they all said they would not be friends anymore so they called a cab. bekey thought "know I've done it" she rode in the cab "and on my birthday too" she closed her eyes hoping it was all a dream then she woke up it was a dream and she found herself in her 10 year-old body again "oh i'll be late for school" what a bad dream little did she know it was not a dream but a veson.
    sorry if my story is bad.
    In response to @HermioneSims's pic
    Yes, I play big families in the sims. please add crawling babies and pre-teens, My mom played sims 1 and 2 now I play 4, its just family tradition at this point
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    Here's my effort:
    The four gathered outside of the bank, dressed in civilian clothes. Only Charlie had met the other three; he had personally recruited them. Jen, Meg and Chris had never met each other but that's part of the reason Charlie had recruited them, if anything went wrong, they couldn't betray the others. The other reason was that they were the best crew in the city. Each had won a reputation of being the best at what they did. Charlie gathered them around the outside of the bank and spoke.

"OK, Ms Crimson...you can see the cameras; two on top of the bank, one at the entrance and one across the road. You get to the junction box at 07:55 to cut the wires and feed. Ms Violet, you wait over there in the car, keep the engine revving because we're going to hit the van in under 3 minutes so we need the quickest getaway from here. Mr Green, you take out the driver, I'll deal with the co-driver and any bank guards that come out. Remember, we need to get the money out of the van, into the car and be gone in under 3 minutes. You got it?"

"What about the cops?" said Jen; Ms Crimson

"They don't patrol here bur if we don't do this job in under 3 minutes they will be."

"What about shooters?" asked Chris; Mr Green

"Only use them if they pull one on you. You got it?"

"Yes Chief"

"Good...let's get to work"
    Here's mine.

Sooo.... That was a total disaster.

Tell me again, why am I required to hang out with my coworkers?

Rough month this month. Gotta keep it short. :lol:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    This was a tough one to work out something for XC
    The four friends were a combination of confused and disgusted at this place. THIS was where they'd be studying? It was a dump! Where were all the fancy coffee shops and eateries? There was a fast-food place on every corner and absolutely no sign of a single overpriced café in sight! No sign of any potential nightlife hotspot either. What was the point if you couldn't blow your loans on nectar every Saturday night? This was nothing like the luxury and comfort of Windenburg. Abigail wished she'd just taken a paternally-funded gap year to find her true self in Selvadorada after all.
    they/them or she/her
    edited May 2022
    I finally have my picture for our story picture challenge thingy...
    So I couldn't be bothered to go digging for that old pic I accidentally deleted off Imgur for our challenge, and plus it was an old pic and I wanted to have something new instead. So, I give you this image I put together to test out GShade:
    sOgXlqM.png
    CREDITS: Werewolf outfit and Werewolf Posepack 2 by Natalia-Auditore
    Post edited by SnowBnuuy on
    they/them or she/her
    I intentionally chose a picture which could give rise to many different interpretations in my last message, and the stories you built on it didn't disappoint! I enjoyed them all!

As for the new picture from @SnowBnuuy , let's see what I can think of...
    The clouds moved apart, clearing the view of a very bright full moon which, suddenly, seemed to fill the whole sky. Immediately everyone turned to Lucy already knowing what was about to happen, terrified. It was so unfair, they were just a few hundred meters away from the miraculous spring which could have cured her. Instead there she was, with her back arched and her teeth clenched for the pain that the transformation into a werewolf gave her. They all knew it was a desperate and dangerous mission, but they just wanted to see their friend smile again as she used to before being bitten. But that cloud had different plans for them, it decided to move apart just a few minutes before they could reach their destination and, at that point, they couldn't do anything else than run for their lives.
    2if86miljyb3.png
    edited May 2022
    @HermioneSims That picture was hard to come up with something for actually. Took me a while to conjure something up!
    I actually love how much you built on story-wise on top of this one picture. You have no idea how amazed I am by this... The fact that you've managed to fit so much backstory into one paragraph is brilliant. It's a horrible thought as well, seeing a friend lose all you knew about them in becoming a monster. I really enjoyed reading your interpretation, and I'm glad I used this new picture instead of the old one! You have the start of a possibly full-length story there already.
    they/them or she/her
    It's been kind of quiet over here for a bit. I hope everyone comes back, because I've been enjoying this thread.

I wanted to share with everyone here that spending some time reading and writing on this thread with all of you other SimLit writers, has helped me deal with my own anxieties about sharing my story online. I've decided to take the plunge! I have started figuring out how to use Weebly (the platform I ended up choosing), and I'm getting my existing chapters prepped to start posting them online. I currently have 35 chapters completed (all of "Season One" and part of "Season Two").

I've got a lot going on irl for family and work during August and early September, plus it's going to take me a bit to get things figured out with the website, since I've never done this sort of thing before (luckily, my husband has, so I have some in-house tech support :grin: ) but my goal is to get it all up and running and post the first chapter by early to mid October. Definitely before the end of the year.

Here is a little teaser montage for the story, if you're curious...

Seventeen & Maldusk: A supernatural soap opera

SAM-Teaser-Montage-S1.jpg

Coming... soon. (I hope). :open_mouth::lol:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    @GlacierSnow Oooooh awesome! I love these screenshots especially the kitty!
    they/them or she/her

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top