Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA is looking to sell or merge

kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
edited May 2022 in Off Topic Chat
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ea-reportedly-looking-for-a-buyer-and-has-spoken-to-disney-apple-and-amazon

EA is apparently looking to sell their company or merge with another company. They were going to merge with nbc but it fell apart last month.

A lot of tech giants have been trying to get into the gaming space including: Facebook, google, apple, and amazon.

EA is actually not the only gaming company that has been looking to sell. Ubisoft is also looking to sell and Activision (creator of call of duty games and overwatch) is in the middle of being bought by Microsoft. Apparently Microsoft bought Activision to prevent the tech giants that are new to gaming from buying them. But with Ubisoft and EA looking to sell they are likely to be bought by one.

What does this mean for the Sims franchise? It's hard to tell but it could be disastrous because The Sims 5 is in development and this could cause a lot of lay offs and the direction could be completely changed in the middle of development.

It could also not affect anything much or it could make things better. Honestly if I heard EA was looking to sell I would expect Microsoft to buy them since they are already intertwined with each other because of EA play being included with Microsoft's game pass subscription service. But it wouldn't be possible because Microsoft is already trying to buy Activision. And they only bought it because the price was down due to certain lawsuits.

So what do you guys think about this?
Check out my twitter and tumblr
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    Well, I'm concerned. I've spent a lot of money on this game, and I'm not done playing with it yet, but depending on who buys EA and what that entails, it might mean my happy days of playing the Sims 4 are over. I'm especially weary of Facebook and Microsoft, I want nothing to do with these two companies.
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited May 2022
    It's a rumor that they are looking to sell or merge, so who knows if it will actually happen.

As for my thoughts...I don't know. I don't think it's generally good thing for corporations to get even bigger because they will be in charge of a lot of power, a competitive market is a good thing for us customers because corporations have to try harder to get us to buy what they are selling.

I don't think EA needs to be bigger or be owned by a bigger company because EA are already in charge of a lot of studios and people. The bigger they are, the less they will care about the smaller studios if they don't make enough profit.

This could lead to more outsourcing for things like QA and Customer Service, which for us simmers, would mean more bugs for packs at release.

A merger or EA getting sold to a larger company could mean positive changes like Microsoft buying Activision but I don't think it's likely. EA are most likely looking to sell or merge in order to increase their profits.

I would rather that EA tries to look at why it's going well for other publishers like Sony and deliver similar games and experiences like they are able to deliver. They should be a little more brave with their investments instead of trying to chase profit.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Well, I'm concerned. I've spent a lot of money on this game, and I'm not done playing with it yet, but depending on who buys EA and what that entails, it might mean my happy days of playing the Sims 4 are over. I'm especially weary of Facebook and Microsoft, I want nothing to do with these two companies.

The thing is Microsoft has been in the gaming industry for a long time and they produced pretty good games lately so I'm not that weary of them. I would be worried if it was Disney, apple, amazon, facebook, or google. I mean it's not good that so many companies are trying to sell and buy out each other but im more worried about those companies buying than others.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    All I can say is that I'm not a fan of tech giants getting even bigger and I dread the idea of the trend towards monopolies. I'm not sure how it can potentially impact Sims development, but in the long term I generally prefer EA being independent of those giant companies. I'll wait and see what happens, I think some IPs develop along fine when under a new IP, but it really depends on who buys it and what kind of changes we'll see.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I've seen some information on this and I don't like their choices for talks thus far. Most seem to be new or peripheral to the video game industry. The last thing I think the most of us want is for these giants to break into the industry using beloved IPs as their teething ring.

Being completely honest, I have never really liked Origin and being migrated to whatever Amazon, Apple, or Disney comes up with doesn't sound fun. Plus we've already gotten a taste of Disney in the Sims via Batuu. Remember all the restrictions on what you could do with the Star Wars characters? Not reassuring.

Then there are concerns of going too deep down the mobile route. Comcast has more experience there, so if those discussions had succeeded hard to say where the focus would have been.

I'm just hoping an industry veteran that knows what they are doing picks them up, if it comes to it. If they hold out long enough, Microsoft might even be in a place where they can flash more cash. Not like EA Play isn't already on game pass. It would probably be the least disruptive acquisition. (Microsoft still isn't the biggest player in the industry, anyway.)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Am suspicious when a giant like EA that rakes in billions is even rumored to be following this route. Gives the feeling that either something has gone terribly wrong, or greed has taken a quantum leap. In the end, it is the little people - us - that suffer.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,182 Member
    I hope no one takes their offer because they know how toxic the EA brand is. But knowing our luck, good Ol' Zuckerberg will jump in and buy it and somehow make everything worse. Like Integrating Facebook into all of the games and deleting all your games if you delete your Facebook account.....just like the Oculus....
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,954 Member
    edited May 2022
    as much as I've been complaining about EA... for the love of watcher do not sell to any of these other companies I beg you

Facebook: will probably completely destroy the game with facebook ig whatever social media nonsense dear lord no

Amazon: honestly i don't even know because as non american gal... i cannot even use their existing subscription whatevers

so tbh i feel like this would just make the games unaccessible to me in general :smiley: yeah. nope.

Google: would probably tell my classmates from elementary what my sims been up to every 5 seconds and i probably couldn't find a way to unsync the freaking account

all because i once used skype 15+ years ago

Apple: Oh yes you'll have the world but buy the sims separately! comes with mega techy trailer where we explain why your sims tech techily and you should want the new bob pancakes 2.5 that is very innovative yeah, no.

Disney: tbh idk even I just feel like despite the possibilities in like branding side

disney has too big of evil lair behind that cute and magical outlook

they'd probably make like 99% of more merch tho tbh the whole game would probably just be merch from that point onwards while the game itself suffers tv shows movies whatever but god forbid anything good would come out of the game itself
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I just hope that whoever gets them knows what they're doing and is able to prevent the same mistakes that have been happening with this game. I will be watching this one closely to see what happens with Sims 4 and possibly Sims 5.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I hope I don't lose access to my sims 3 games.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,397 Member
    I don't think it will affect The Sims that much tbh
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Am suspicious when a giant like EA that rakes in billions is even rumored to be following this route. Gives the feeling that either something has gone terribly wrong, or greed has taken a quantum leap. In the end, it is the little people - us - that suffer.

I think if it doesn't affect the game that much it is more likely to affect the devs more than players tbh since its their job and livelihood. And mergers usually have layoffs and etc. Which will usually leak over into how the game develops but it can be not that big of a change for players.

I don't know if I'm making sense lol 😅
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

I think if it doesn't affect the game that much it is more likely to affect the devs more than players tbh since its their job and livelihood. And mergers usually have layoffs and etc. Which will usually leak over into how the game develops but it can be not that big of a change for players.

I don't know if I'm making sense lol 😅

You are. I suspect not a lot of layoffs would happen, though. The consolidation movement in games right now seems to be largely in the pursuit of more devs and more IP to make more games. What games, though, is an issue. Sims devs could be put elsewhere depending on the deal.

Who knows, though. I don't like their talks thus far, but maybe because it is largely on EA's terms. An acquisition could dethrone the current leadership and bring fresh blood into the company, which can be good or bad, but considering the current EA failures, 4's launch, and some of the rumors about 5 I am not going to actively worry about an acquisition ruining things until there is a concrete deal to scrutinize.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,227 Member
    edited May 2022
    Microsoft + Activision Blizzard isn't done yet.

EA + Apple/Amazon/Disney may not happen if FTC doesn't approve it.
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    Sony is looking to acquire gaming companies. I wouldn't mind seeing that happen.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    I'm skeptical of an EA purchase or merger. That being said, I can see how Disney might be interested, for cross-licensing ESPN with EA Sports.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    Disney because they have always been very good at imaginary multi-theme entertainment. And they can make Sims 4 more fun & better. ;)
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited May 2022

My choice would be Disney too, absolutely not Amazon, they have been doing terrible with their gaming studios which shows that you can be one of the richest companies in the world, gaming development still requires good people and a good direction. Apple would probably push for exclusivity or more mobile development, that only leaves Disney.
    logion wrote: »

My choice would be Disney too, absolutely not Amazon, they have been doing terrible with their gaming studios which shows that you can be one of the richest companies in the world, gaming development still requires good people and a good direction. Apple would probably push for exclusivity or more mobile development, that only leaves Disney.

This. I was going to discuss this too, but my post would just be a mirror of yours. I cannot see Apple not trying to cut off their own slice of the market and Amazon has had a number of screw ups with both games and studios. It leaves Disney, which I do not want for fear of the limitations like with Batuu.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,227 Member
    edited May 2022
    The most of IP are dead, I doubt The Sims, EA Sports games and Apex Legends are enough in order to seduce somebody.
    Disney is already looking for other companies to develop new Star Wars games, EA failed to do the job.

Apple have no interest for Microsoft/Sony consoles and PC and they don't need Origin.

Amazon, Google, Nvidia need studios for their cloud gaming service.