Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Features no longer required

LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,177 Member
Hi,

What would you like to remove from the franchise ?

For example, I don't need these features :
  • Hygiene, Social, Fun needs : I ignore them, the moodlets are enough to warn me.
  • Aspirations : These goals go nowhere, I use cheat codes to unlock the rewards.
  • Relationship pane : It's a big mess, it doesn't really care about the different relationships. Dialog boxes do the job.

Comments

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Video gaming & web browsing on phones
    Death by Emotions
    Sims that randomly flirt with just anyone
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    Hmmm, it's hard for me to decide which feature I'd like gone, as a lot of features that some people may dislike don't particularly bother me (such as emotional deaths) or are just tuned terribly and in need of a fix-up rather than outright removal (Eco Lifestyle's NAPs are a good concept but their execution is really bad, save for Sharing is Caring that one can just go die...Townie behaviors are also a result of bad tuning than they are actively a bad feature such as pranking toilets or kids making excessive messes). Another thing about features I don't like is that I can turn them off too, so it doesn't really need to be removed from the game to not be a nuisance.

I wouldn't shed a tear if Story Progression is removed but it's pretty popular among the community and besides, I can turn it off anyway, so that's fine and dandy.

Obviously, I'd like the game to not require the stupid Origin launcher for me to start it up. When I buy this game off Steam, I want to use Steam to launch it, its DRM is perfectly fine, I don't need this additional bloatware on my PC just to play a game.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    The heavy hand.

Most the things which bug me, only bug me because they are constantly overdone. Like the messes the kids make, doing push ups, Vlad's required tutorial visit. It makes things become annoying rather than charming. So I would remove the heavy hand from the devs.

Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    edited May 2022
    Needlessly oversized objects like the telescope, microscope, cupcake machine, etc
    Autonomous hand washing
    Autonomous sit ups, push ups, and stretching
    Not being able to replace windows and front door in apartments without mods
    Those creepy 'can I give your phone number to a total stranger' phone calls. Seriously, they are creepy.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    edited May 2022
    in my case it simple ghost and ocults like vampires werewolves not aliens since i play them on occasion and what needs to come back is the never nude trait from sims3 and remove any kind of death and make sims imortel like in sims1
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,552 Member
    edited May 2022
    So, based on the OPs opening post, I think they mean features, as in management features or game mechanics, not preferred gameplay style. We go around and around about gameplay choices, and the fact is, there’s no one way to play The Sims. People are always ready to chime in on gameplay they want eliminated, though. Kind of bold to make those choices for everyone, but we can’t seem to help ourselves.

As to the original question:

Take out the hypersensitivity nerfs or give player controls. You can’t nerf out the unexpected game elements then complain that the game is boring. It is what you insisted it should be. Safe.

cyncie wrote: »
    Take out the hypersensitivity nerfs or give player controls. You can’t nerf out the unexpected game elements then complain that the game is boring. It is what you insisted it should be. Safe.

Huh? :/

Sorry, I just have no idea what the heck any of that meant. But I would like to understand what you mean. What is a hypersensitivity nerf? What are the unexpected game elements that are nerfed out? What do you mean when you say nerf?

I do agree the game is too safe.. That is the only part I understood, lol. I may be too old..

| Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |

Sorry, I just have no idea what the heck any of that meant. But I would like to understand what you mean. What is a hypersensitivity nerf? What are the unexpected game elements that are nerfed out? What do you mean when you say nerf?

I do agree the game is too safe.. That is the only part I understood, lol. I may be too old..

Sorry. Just my slightly snarky way of referring to the number of things that got tuned down (nerfed) due to players complaining that they were uncomfortable or disruptive. Things like random deaths, alien abductions, vampire visitations (in a vampire pack), etc.
    Sorry. Just my slightly snarky way of referring to the number of things that got tuned down (nerfed) due to players complaining that they were uncomfortable or disruptive. Things like random deaths, alien abductions, vampire visitations (in a vampire pack), etc.

Ahhh, I see. I only switched from playing Sims 3 to 4 this last year, so I wouldn't be aware of the changes. I do find it annoying that my sims never ever die of anything but old age. I still haven't even had anyone get eaten by the cowplant... Maybe it will happen eventually.

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    Randomized Sims
    (as in those sims that spawn everytime you play for absolutely no reason we have enough sims for every role by now)

Situational Outfits.
    (just why would i want my sims to wear anything i haven't assigned for them???)

Phone Calls
    (well most of them anyway are just spam like i heard you are friends with your kid ones and such should just be removed)
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2022
    I would not remove motives but add more. If motives are removed such as hygiene, then no need for bathrooms in the game. Nor fun objects...what kind of life simulator is that? Free to just grind and fill goals? I don't understand how others play sometimes if the Sim doesn't need fun then why bother? I would add more and more motives. The reason for the Sim to get up and live....if my Sim is perfect and doesn't need social activity then why bother getting them out of bed..wait, no bed needed if they no longer need energy.

I would remove Moodllets and Buffs. I don't need the game to hold my hand and show me with popups and moodlets and texts what my Sim feels. To me it's so unSims. (new word..UnSim). lol

I would never add any timed event challenges, If I wanted to play Free Play for those timed challenges I would be playing it. Not a mobile gamer, here.

I would remove any and all player rewards. Such as badges (TS3) for making a Sim do exercise x amount of times etc. And unnecessary things like lists of things like how many times my Sim peed...wasted talent and time. (TS4)

The series is supposed to be a life simulator not a tally sheet. :( Too many hands in the pot that don't quite get it.

I would most likely change the series back to the beginning and all signs, traces and or whatever would be gone for any moodlets, buffs, tally sheets, timed event challenges, (those that run for a specific time from the devs) Neighborhood Stories challenges, wasted talent and time could have been working on what happens if my Sim decides to jump out of the rocket...hm...does crash and burn back down to earth...let me see!, and or transported into a different world full of amazing animations.....Doctor Who style.

The games have become boxed ideas, I don't see any thing in the last several years that is outside of the box or much different than any mobile game out here.

Number one beef, I would remove the dev texts. Rorry is feeling sad...really, you think so? what am I? Five?

Edited to add, and oh, yeah, I would add in a robust memory system..why Sims are the way they are to each other and why they act in some ways not just traits. Like remember that time three years ago little Simmy you snobbed me when I visited your house? Well..my Sim didn't forget it! >:)

I would add player controls of the memoires to remain short term or long term then the Sim can soon forget it and or keep that memory forever. Short term might be your Sim met someone new but didn't really matter much to them. Long term memory the Sim partner cheated....keep that one forever...

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited May 2022
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I would not remove motives but add more. If motives are removed such as hygiene, then no need for bathrooms in the game. Nor fun objects...what kind of life simulator is that? Free to just grind and fill goals? I don't understand how others play sometimes if the Sim doesn't need fun then why bother? I would add more and more motives. The reason for the Sim to get up and live....if my Sim is perfect and doesn't need social activity then why bother getting them out of bed..wait, no bed needed if they no longer need energy.

Agreed. And, I actually would like more aspirations to pick from. I usually play on long life, and some of my sims complete several aspirations in a lifetime. I would like to have a larger pool of aspirations so I can more easily select ones that match their personalities. Needs and aspirations give our sims their purpose and daily lives.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,177 Member
    edited May 2022
    @Cinebar

About Hygiene, the sims wash their hands after using the toilet.
    My sims brush their teeth after eating and take a shower everyday or after workout. I never check the Hygiene level.

Environment/Room and Comfort motives are already gone but it doesn't stop your sims to use a bed or a sofa.

• DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Randomized Sims
    (as in those sims that spawn everytime you play for absolutely no reason we have enough sims for every role by now)

Situational Outfits.
    (just why would i want my sims to wear anything i haven't assigned for them???)

Phone Calls
    (well most of them anyway are just spam like i heard you are friends with your kid ones and such should just be removed)

The outfits.....certainly are random. Career outfits not being editable is a big niggle for a lot of people. The one I documented with Summer going to her job as a dishwasher in long evening gloves and an astronaut helmet is one. I once had a male sim leave for his job wearing what I assume was his wife's nightie. I have no issues with crossdressing, but it is a bit of an odd fashion choice for a gardener. He was very fetch at least.
    edited May 2022
    I would also stop the free services/transports/venues, the sims should pay when they visit gym, spa, swimming pool, museum, ...
    Life is also about managing the family funds.

Remove the household starting with $20 000 and buying a house by default, it should be $4 000 + rent an apartment.
    There is no challenge to start with that much money.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    I would also stop the free services/transports/venues, the sims should pay when they visit gym, spa, swimming pool, museum, ...
    Life is also about managing the family funds.

Remove the household starting with $20 000 and buying a house by default, it should be $4 000 + rent an apartment.
    There is no challenge to start with that much money.

Do you use mods or cheats to adjust starting funds?
    edited May 2022
    @Cinebar

There is also another aspect, all the human sims need to sleep, eat and use the toilet (Physiological needs).

But Slob sims don't need to take a shower and Loner sims don't need social interactions.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    Those are actually things I enjoy about the game. All 3 are a big part of why I still play Sims 2 rather than Sims 4.

The relationship system needs a MAJOR overhaul in Sims 4 (a Game/Expansion Pack centered around Romantic Interactions, Attraction System, Jealousy, Chemistry, Turn Ons/Turn Offs needs to hurry up and be released).

Managing Needs has ALWAYS been a central part of the Sims franchise. It would not be The Sims without being able to manage their needs, career/school, friends/relationships, etc.

Aspirations need to be redone so they're more like they were in Sims 2. There needs to be more actions geared towards fulfilling Wants that get them closer to the Aspirations.

Also, consequences for actions need to be brought back. What happened to the Jealousy/Fury associated with catching your spouse/significant other cheating?
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Im not speaking for anyone else, just myself. I have ideas for what i want added but answering OP these are features I dont need:

I dont need any occults except aliens.
    I dont need any 'gender' features in CAS that changes body shape from its original sex, or things along those lines.
    Any online component that shows ads, wants me to post my game on fb or whatever
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited May 2022
    Any online component that shows ads, wants me to post my game on fb or whatever

oh yeah that. like the main menu being blasted with ads its a big turn off for me
    as were all the ads in ts3 (those were even worse tho)

like remember how exciting it was to start up with ts1 and 2 cause there wasn't ads or whatever links on your screen just the game I miss that so much

like imagine if you start up the game and this is all you see

800px-TS2_MainMenu.jpg

worlds being replaced by saves
    new world by new save

and maybe adding options and gallery buttons on there somewhere

thats all you need really

also we could maybe choose the save picture like put screenshot or it could be animation of world of choice
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    Getting rid of a sims needs, aspirations and such just doesn't make sense to me. Managing what I want, against what they need, imo has always been a core component of the game. I do think the dang aspirations are pointless for my play style in sims 4, same with whims. But I don't want them gone, I want them fixed!

Most the things I want aren't removals, rather they are thing to be added, or reworked. I mean I find aspirations fairly useless. Most the rewards are either items to make the game easier (ironically in the easiest version of The Sims to ever be made), which I don't use, and traits which imo should be in the traits area of CAS (which I cheat to use so that my sims have the right personality); so what use is there for me to do aspirations? But why remove them, when they could redo them.. I like the idea of aspirations! I just think there needs to be something else to motivate one to do them. Same with whims. They just forgot they existed, and that might be because they never made much sense anyway.. I like the idea, but they need to be redone.

Personally I want to see when my sim is getting dirty, before they start to have a green cloud around them. And I have no desire to make them wash their hands and teeth all the time..

I agree on removing timed/goal event challenges.
    Also I would remove the welcome wagon. My sims can find friends on their own thanks.
    I would also remove new EP tutorial sims. The ones that always visit with a new pack to show you the ropes.. ugh
    I would also remove negative feelings about CHOOSING to not celebrate a holiday. Doesn't even make sense..

edited May 2022
    I'm surprised nobody asked to remove the 8-sim limit for household yet.

Note about Aspiration : The weakness is the Maxis point of view.

For example Fortune aspirations are about owning $300 000, it isn't really an ambitious goal. It's the price of a tiny 30m² apartment in Paris.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I'm surprised nobody asked to remove the 8-sim limit for household yet.

Note about Aspiration : The weakness is the Maxis point of view.

For example Fortune aspirations are about owning $300 000, it isn't really an ambitious goal. It's the price of a tiny 30m² apartment in Paris.

None of the neighbourhoods are Paris, and you can buy a plot of land and build a house for 20.000 anywhere, so 300.000 must seem like a fortune. Maybe these type of aspirations could increase the limit depending on the sim, if he lives in a 300.000 house then his fortune aspiration could be bigger, like maybe 1.500.000.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    This thread shows how we all consider different gameplay features to be integral to our gameplay. I love aspirations and timed events.