Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Deleted

SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Post edited by Simburian on

Comments

• cynciecyncie Posts: 4,632 Member
    I’m guessing it’s a way to give some support to mod and cc creators in a EA sanctioned way that bypasses some of the messiness of recent paywall/stolen content/Patreon controversies.
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    But all it does is give the creator money. It does nothing for the player. At least on patreon you would get something for your money.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Safety, I guess? I know next to nothing about this, but if they are taking control of payments and info, then the creator shouldn't have them, right? Unless they start hitting creators that aren't in the program (which might be the idea) it'll be pretty useless overall, but we'll see.
    Well, they don’t have to allow creators to paywall anything. They did that to give them a way to personally benefit from their work, and people being people, that’s been abused. If they decide to disallow paywalling, this would be a way for players to safely support creators they like. I would assume creators would need to be enrolled in the program. This is all just guessing, though.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited May 2022
    I think with creators they mean Content Creators (previously called gamechangers). So I don't think this has anything to do with CC and Mod creators.

Epic already has it, you can enter a content creator code from a youtuber or streamer when buying something on the Epic Games Store and they will get a small share of the money.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    RedShoe7 wrote: »
    But all it does is give the creator money. It does nothing for the player. At least on patreon you would get something for your money.

This isn't just for people on patreon, it's for every content creator, even youtubers. So, if you like someone's content, be it CC, mods or build tutorials, or let's play videos, you can reward them without spending any additional money.
    crocobaura wrote: »

This isn't just for people on patreon, it's for every content creator, even youtubers. So, if you like someone's content, be it CC, mods or build tutorials, or let's play videos, you can reward them without spending any additional money.

Yes, I get that. My point is this only benefits these creators. And I was replying to the comment relating this program to the controversy on patreon. I don’t see how this helps that at all . Anyway if EA has money to burn why not give us more content in the packs we pay for.
  • caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    It's just another way of supporting content creators. Since it's being tested atm I believe a lot more people will have their own codes in the future. It's totally optional (you can buy packs without using any of their codes). Epic Games also does this especially with Fortnite. It's totally harmless in my opinion.
    he/him
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

Yes, I get that. My point is this only benefits these creators. And I was replying to the comment relating this program to the controversy on patreon. I don’t see how this helps that at all . Anyway if EA has money to burn why not give us more content in the packs we pay for.

I don't think this is meant to address the patreon controversy in any manner. It's simply a way to say thank you to creators whose content you enjoy. So if you enjoy their content and want to see more of it, even if its free, you click on that button. I think its a great way to support a favourite creator, especially as its conditioned by a purchase, so in a way, its a vote with your wallet kind of vote. You don't just click without thinking and the possibility to vote is limited by the number of purchases.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    edited May 2022
    What's going on? I haven't been on the forums much this week. Was this an announcement?

Edit: Nevermind, I found the announcement.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,310 EA Community Manager
    edited May 2022
    Heya,

The Support A Creator program is something we're testing as a way to give back to content creators who make any sort of content for the Sims 4. This is very much a beta version of the program so not many codes are floating about right now.

You can see the current scope of the Creator Network and who's eligible to participate here.

If this proves successful, we will be looking at expanding the program down the line.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited May 2022
    I saw they were doing it for Madden as well, they had a FAQ page that explained a little more.

So how it was explained there was that the chosen content creator the person felt deserved a little recognition, would get 5% of what the person spent. So for example, if a player bought $100 in player points the chosen content creator would receive $5.

So in the case of TS4, if someone bought a $40 EP and chose to add a content creator's code to their purchase to show support, then the content creator would receive $2.00.

The only problem I see with this is, in my eyes it will probably be pretty biased and unfair. Because there's no way that they'd give a code to EVERY SINGLE CONTENT creator out there, whether they would YT'rs, CAS, BB, Modders, Builders, Sim Creators, etc. There's literally thousands of people who offer their creativity to others and some of them are very unknown but do extremely quality work.

Then you'll have content creators begging simmers to pick them when choosing someone to support.

It could get ugly real fast because I see it as only the most popular content creators will ever actually benefit from this program.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    @Chicklet453681 Agreed. To me it's one of those things that sounds awesome on paper. In practice? I'm concerned that it'll indeed end up basically a popularity contest, with the "winners" pretty much being whomever can shout the loudest to get the most numbers on various forms of social media. Meanwhile, there would likely be a number of people who actually deserve proper attention but will get much less (if any), as you mentioned.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
    VeeDub wrote: »
    @Chicklet453681 Agreed. To me it's one of those things that sounds awesome on paper. In practice? I'm concerned that it'll indeed end up basically a popularity contest, with the "winners" pretty much being whomever can shout the loudest to get the most numbers on various forms of social media. Meanwhile, there would likely be a number of people who actually deserve proper attention but will get much less (if any), as you mentioned.

Exactly, it just doesn’t feel right and, again, it does nothing for the game or the players. I just think EA should focus on making the game better and making the players/buyers happy. There hasn’t been much of that lately.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    I saw they were doing it for Madden as well, they had a FAQ page that explained a little more.

So how it was explained there was that the chosen content creator the person felt deserved a little recognition, would get 5% of what the person spent. So for example, if a player bought $100 in player points the chosen content creator would receive $5.

So in the case of TS4, if someone bought a $40 EP and chose to add a content creator's code to their purchase to show support, then the content creator would receive $2.00.

The only problem I see with this is, in my eyes it will probably be pretty biased and unfair. Because there's no way that they'd give a code to EVERY SINGLE CONTENT creator out there, whether they would YT'rs, CAS, BB, Modders, Builders, Sim Creators, etc. There's literally thousands of people who offer their creativity to others and some of them are very unknown but do extremely quality work.

Then you'll have content creators begging simmers to pick them when choosing someone to support.

It could get ugly real fast because I see it as only the most popular content creators will ever actually benefit from this program.

The impression that I have gotten from content creators that have used the Epic supporter code is that they see it more like a small benefit from being Epic partners, a lot of them often say "Here is my Epic supporter code if you want to use it". Because it doesn't really give them a lot of money and it's also tricky for them to show or mention the code anywhere.

So I don't think there will be any controversy over it. It's for the content creators that are with the EA creator network. However, there is no list or whatever which says who they are, so I have no idea who are part of that apart from people who previously were game changers.
  • KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    It's (from my perspective) a really bright-coloured frog in the jungle. Looks real nice from afar, but holding it will likely bring more trouble than it's worth. Granted, the only way to at least make it more worthwhile would be to give the user a discount, but I guess they want to see how eager fans are, first.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,827 Member
    edited May 2022
    Here are the participants in the beta program.

lilsimie, simfinity, Conjureuse, Mprin, Kosmo, EnglishSimmer, Ebonix, HeyHarrie, MTSims and Neddeplay

ETA: Sims 4 content creators.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Heya,

The Support A Creator program is something we're testing as a way to give back to content creators who make any sort of content for the Sims 4. This is very much a beta version of the program so not many codes are floating about right now.

You can see the current scope of the Creator Network and who's eligible to participate here.

If this proves successful, we will be looking at expanding the program down the line.
    @EA_Cade It doesn’t look like mod creators are eligible, or did I miss something?

I would love to be able to support @83bienchen for creating so many mods that make the game more enjoyable for me.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,804 Member
    With a certain scandal that shall remain nameless, @EA_Cade please forgive me if I wandered too close to that land mine just now, still making the rounds, this seems like particularly bad time to introduce this. People are getting tribal over the one thing and I can see it bleeding over into this as it turns into a popularity contest which it surely will. It's almost inevitable nowadays, people divide into tribes over their common cause or belief, or whatever.

I'm all for giving back and supporting those that make this game that much better and more special. It's the timing and the environment into which this is being released that worries me. It hope it works, with all my heart I hope it does, and all the content creators profit as they should. But it still feels risky in the moment.
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,310 EA Community Manager
    babajayne wrote: »
    Heya,

@EA_Cade It doesn’t look like mod creators are eligible, or did I miss something?

I would love to be able to support @83bienchen for creating so many mods that make the game more enjoyable for me.

Nothing to announce just yet. Please keep in mind that this is a Beta test, the scope of which we hope to grow exponentially over time.
    With a certain scandal that shall remain nameless, @EA_Cade please forgive me if I wandered too close to that land mine just now, still making the rounds, this seems like particularly bad time to introduce this. People are getting tribal over the one thing and I can see it bleeding over into this as it turns into a popularity contest which it surely will. It's almost inevitable nowadays, people divide into tribes over their common cause or belief, or whatever.

I'm all for giving back and supporting those that make this game that much better and more special. It's the timing and the environment into which this is being released that worries me. It hope it works, with all my heart I hope it does, and all the content creators profit as they should. But it still feels risky in the moment.

I'll give you a pass if you can give me one in return. We don't have anything to announce yet on that front either, At the moment we're engaging with the right teams behind the scenes to explore options available to us.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,804 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    Heya,

Nothing to announce just yet. Please keep in mind that this is a Beta test, the scope of which we hope to grow exponentially over time.

I'll give you a pass if you can give me one in return. We don't have anything to announce yet on that front either, At the moment we're engaging with the right teams behind the scenes to explore options available to us.

Deal! Whewwww
  • ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    Think this a good move and have been using the Epic support a creator since that launched. Basically anytime you make a purchase you can put in a content creators code and they get a small percentage. It's a nice way for a company to say thanks to folk who basically market their game across social media.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited May 2022
    It's basically the same as affiliate links that retailers use, but instead of a link, it's a promo code.

It gives creators 5% of the sale price of the items you buy via Origin or EA Desktop.

You don't have to use anyone's code, but if you do, they get a small part of the profit.

The way I see it is: If you are going to buy something on there anyway, why not support someone by using their code. It costs you nothing, it supports creators (of all types, even bloggers, forumites, fan sites, challenge creators etc, if it gets rolled out to everyone in the Creator Network after the trial) and it's less profit for EA (for those who think EA is greedy).

As long as they have a promo code and you know it, you can support them by using it at checkout.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,957 Member
    edited May 2022
    logion wrote: »
    I think with creators they mean Content Creators (previously called gamechangers). So I don't think this has anything to do with CC and Mod creators.

Epic already has it, you can enter a content creator code from a youtuber or streamer when buying something on the Epic Games Store and they will get a small share of the money.

Yes, I think they are doing at least a couple of things here. 1. Using the system as a marketing tool, to see which content creators have the most influence over which packs are bought, and 2. Because content creators make a commission off of every pack you buy and put their code in, it encourages them to promote the packs and kits rather than diss them. When I was young and worked in a drug store, we used to make a small commission off of things like perfume and make up. It does encourage a person to push a product if they know they are getting a tidbit out of it…. Smart marketing strategy.
    Oh, it’s YouTubers, then. I never pay any attention to them anyway, so carry on.