Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best expansion pack based on it's world?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,833 Member
    City Living (San Myshuno)
    @Beardedgeek It's better than Del Sol Valley for residential lots, four empty, plus a rental that you can flip for your use. But it's worse because there's only the wedding chapel and a lounge for community lots. I have several households to add for my story so I had to evict the two premade households to make room. Plus my storyline is going to need one or two of those lots for community lots.

It's a great world for sims who are content with being homebodies or for storytelling that doesn't require a lot of space for a big cast of characters. The limitation with treating it like it's isolated and a long way from the rest of the worlds is really a problem of my own making. It depends on your interpretation of sims geography and your view on how easy it is to travel between worlds.

In mine Tartosa and Sulani are separated from the rest by oceans. So is Windenberg but there is so much to do there and it's so big that isn't a problem. Tartosa is great for some types of storytelling, all wrong for others. It's a bad fit for the storylines I have going now, but it was a great fit for the original. My story took turns I didn't foresee when I started so it's outgrown the world it was supposed to be contained in.
  • Options
    Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    Get Together (Windenberg)
    The limitation with treating it like it's isolated and a long way from the rest of the worlds is really a problem of my own making. It depends on your interpretation of sims geography and your view on how easy it is to travel between worlds.

Ah, that is interesting. So you see the worlds more as separate land masses around the globe? So you would need to have a lot of needs met in the one world. That is interesting.

I weirdly have a mix in which most are just different cities that could be traveled to and fro easily, with a few that I consider further destinations.
    Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • Options
    The limitation with treating it like it's isolated and a long way from the rest of the worlds is really a problem of my own making. It depends on your interpretation of sims geography and your view on how easy it is to travel between worlds.

Ah, that is interesting. So you see the worlds more as separate land masses around the globe? So you would need to have a lot of needs met in the one world. That is interesting.

I weirdly have a mix in which most are just different cities that could be traveled to and fro easily, with a few that I consider further destinations.

I'm one of those people who draw comparisons between the sims worlds and real world counterparts. To me Tartosa is Italy or Greece. Sulani is Hawaii or one of the Pacific islands. Windenberg is Germany. Most of other worlds have American locales. WC is New Orleans, BB is Maine. OS is Arizona, DSV is L.A., EH is Seattle, and so on. So those worlds to me aren't that difficult to travel among. It's all a matter of perspective.
  • Options
    @Chaotic_Moira This conversation has given me something to think about. Since I made that post explaining how I see the Sims world I've been thinking about how I got to that view. It all started with Willow Creek and comparing it to New Orleans. It didn't really start spreading to the other worlds until about a year ago. I've been giving this some thought over the last couple of hours and while I'm getting ready for work. Now I'm seeing how I'm limiting my storytelling by having such a restrictive view. And how I'm dragging the real world into my little escapist world. I owe you a big thank you for giving me something to think about. I used to have a much broader view and more expansive stories and I've gotten away from that.
  • Options
    @Chaotic_Moira This conversation has given me something to think about. Since I made that post explaining how I see the Sims world I've been thinking about how I got to that view. It all started with Willow Creek and comparing it to New Orleans. It didn't really start spreading to the other worlds until about a year ago. I've been giving this some thought over the last couple of hours and while I'm getting ready for work. Now I'm seeing how I'm limiting my storytelling by having such a restrictive view. And how I'm dragging the real world into my little escapist world. I owe you a big thank you for giving me something to think about. I used to have a much broader view and more expansive stories and I've gotten away from that.

I actually get what you are saying though. I think it is natural to see certain areas of the real world reflected in what they build. I mean Del Sol Valley is hard pressed to not be L.A.. I sort of let that be the inspiration for the characters who live in those cites - as in would this place fit their personality though, not really their nationality. The only time I leave worlds as theoretically far away is when the only inspiration I get is as a destination. That happened for me with Sulani. There just isn't anything that comes to me for a character living in that world, so instead it is a vacation spot for now. Tartosa is currently in a bit of limbo with this as well. It is beautiful, but I just keep seeing it as a lovely honeymoon spot.

There is no wrong play style. But I can see it being harder on you playing that way. I mean just getting enough of the community lot needs met with limited housing is a huge issue. Then the sims traveling wherever they want between worlds is another..

It would be interesting if in sims 5 they kept free movement between worlds, but you could turn it off with certain worlds if you wanted..
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • Options
    Tartosa really is best suited as a destination world. It is a lot like Sulani, Forgotten Hollow, and DSV, best used for niche gameplay. As I was saying this morning I really hadn't sat down and thought about the restrictions I was placing on my storytelling by viewing my worlds the way I have been recently. I prefer bigger, more expansive stories, and for a long time that was what most of my saves were. But I sort of drifted away from that. Now with the Tartosan Sun story I'm back to the old way of storytelling and I was finding myself boxed in. I needed a bit of a nudge to get me to reevaluate things, which you and @Beardedgeek gave me. Thank you for that, because now I'm seeing ways to make all this work.
  • Options
    @DaniRose2143 I am glad to have helped. :smile:

• Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Island Living (Sulani)
    Tartosa really is best suited as a destination world. It is a lot like Sulani, Forgotten Hollow, and DSV, best used for niche gameplay. As I was saying this morning I really hadn't sat down and thought about the restrictions I was placing on my storytelling by viewing my worlds the way I have been recently. I prefer bigger, more expansive stories, and for a long time that was what most of my saves were. But I sort of drifted away from that. Now with the Tartosan Sun story I'm back to the old way of storytelling and I was finding myself boxed in. I needed a bit of a nudge to get me to reevaluate things, which you and @Beardedgeek gave me. Thank you for that, because now I'm seeing ways to make all this work.

I don't consider Sulani a destination world, it is the world most of my households live because it is the best world :smile:
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Island Living (Sulani)
    I think my brain melted with this question, lol.

So, the question is not what our favorite world is but what is our favorite in relation to the pack theme? That's actually really difficult to answer, as most of them fit superbly.

Hmm...I'd say the pack that fits its theme the least is Get Together, because the theme is generic and feasibly any type of world could accommodate it. That's not to say I don't like the way it was executed, because I do, I love Windenburg so much and the club system. Also, Snowy Escape is one I will put near the bottom because there are parts of the world that aren't snowy at all and don't even seem wintry so minus points for that theme. The Eco Friendly one is just one of my least favorite worlds in general, though it did the theme very well, so that's out. Del Sol fit very well but did leave out the larger city Hollywood feel, so I will eliminate it. Now it gets harder to determine.

So... Ugh, I hate to eliminate it, but Brindleton Bay, while brilliant for the cats looking for fish on the harbor and stray dogs chasing gulls on the beach, it's another one whose theme could be flexible, but also it's depressing because the animals are so sick all the time, so I'm sadly withdrawing that one.

So that leaves Henford, San Myshuno, Sulani and Britechester. Okay, it's not going to be Britechester because it falls a little short for me in getting the overall feel of campus grounds. It's not bad, it can be immersive, but something is missing, I think it's the mischief. At this point I'm going to eliminate Henford as well. I love the world a lot, but it leans just a little too much into farm with really large lots when I think of cottages as being small and quirky, and the name is "Cottage Living", not "Farm Life". They work together well of course, but I'm looking for the best theme representation in my mind, so I have to drop something.

Well, there it is. San Myshuno city life or Sulani island life and I know which one I like better. Both are great for their respective themes and both pull it off really well, both are fun to play, but one does it better without question in my mind, maybe because of the lack of cars and traffic, or because one section of the city feels inferior and the park too isolated, but Sulani wins. It feels like an island escape, there are volcanoes, shipwrecks, festivals and dangerous waters, and something about the aesthetics make me happy. Plus, sharks are terrifying and the storms are incredible there and some of the tide surprises are delightful. Plus, Merfolk.

Yes, I can live with that decision.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    Cats and Dogs (Brindleton Bay)
    While Windenburg is the largest and Sulani is unique with the islands, I really love the coastal town feel of Brindleton bay. There are three distinct districts and it feels "homey."
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Island Living (Sulani)
    ashcrash19 wrote: »
    While Windenburg is the largest and Sulani is unique with the islands, I really love the coastal town feel of Brindleton bay. There are three distinct districts and it feels "homey."

I have yet to have a single family living there but it is very well made.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited May 2022
    Island Living (Sulani)
    Island Living.
  • Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    City Livings getting my vote, it's the closest I've gotten to big world I can fill with custom Sims who get to know each-other much easier and naturally. Although some apartment effects are kinda frankly annoying to play under, especially ones that play sounds like Gnomes, but its also the closest feeling to Late Night's Bridgeport, nice big city skyline and some room to exist.

Sulani looks nice but it's not somewhere any of my Sims live by culture at all. Glimmerbrook and Forgotten Hollows are just too small, none of my wealthy Sims can ever move there without kicking someone out of their house. And Mt Komorebi looks lovely, fits in nicely with some Sims and more homely, but again a same issue where my wealthier Sims are also pretty much exempt from living there due to a lack of housing unless it's a vacation home
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    viola-illyriaviola-illyria Posts: 182 Member
    edited May 2022
    Windenberg for being the biggest of the expansion worlds. We've not really had one of a similar size again. It's also beautiful with plenty to do.

I also love Del Sol Valley but it's too small. In the affordable district there's only two lots and one is so big I'm yet to figure out how to use it.

Honourable mention to San Myshuno for being my most played world and a very close second to Windenberg for favourite world.
  • Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,019 Member
    Island Living (Sulani)
    I wasn't going to vote on this because I couldn't make up my mind. There are several worlds I like. I love Sulani, Henford-on-Bagley, and Windenberg. Even the desert cities of Strangerville and Oasis Springs are pretty. So is Tartosa and Brindleton Bay. ... But I've been playing recently in Sulani, and I have to say, to me, it's just so beautiful. I also love the activities and the community in Sulani. It feels cozy and nature oriented--like HoB. I prefer small village rural worlds.
    y4mIVCKaVqV6cRo0ZWdSBjhkEKQB1z8RljNeSdi8-QY501WqMv3Hqim64s23Vp9gBOqIh6pCnt5T1vqgw_nCSP8-DPZ3YgWoxH83tSSi5JGVokV-_42Y-QKMHFxTQrAKBZSPMrjco5K4BMrmT9tA-pd_5ZsVpFzFlamjL8IBBXG4xqjxu6lAXQ-odwcHMiXlryw?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none
    y4mJSGQ6-OHL2o_emHT2mocMQS5q_dVR-G30V1hxzSKZHMMAASz4ePipMDyf2C3HahMTzu-TSG-zu8b2O6-qRNpOzcpQzaVpPrYSuZ08VRG57Oxpk3IEDXLW93gMiL4MuNvXDtF3l-kNNqzOdSNJ4QqAVCjR_e1D4gAfItkMYESjE8oufL5Pfq63pdN8JtJF7-D?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none
    y4m86B9N4YfbZWdUe-Pvl4udSQ4fIGBv3yeKSGpKtlQV5JtLawrisIoN25_SOmSJEJCTP2BWLBxTkR5GDfdvD0sGZ3QZ0F1WMmaCn5DuxL9nn8mK2IUmwYhetYM7VV_GQe27zgxU1SNCo1qovvBHXYbSE5tsv0AuV-r3s2UJv9NmUStg7d70DcNA2aW5yGwbt6-?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none
    y4mPh3iZRMGJNeZTqU_6_Zhmru1KeOhjJBji77j1-o1ENc0vWvsXCI_PjT_xCUJUHyqFk_5a_UUJwH1TTszr56wABeVyrfJMzvD2Z8e-8wOvnbGyo8Q5YgOBj4TvmOb4lUk7zUgDsR-W86GDjv81B3s3TiAafF4n-IRbnzj9Hfvrk2yyi3mdiEbN12ljJOgg9ki?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    Island Living (Sulani)
    Hooooooo, for me it is a close choice between Sulani, Windenburg and San Myshuno. I did pick Sulani because the family I am playing at the moment, are vacationing there away from the freezing snow in Willow Creek :tongue: But I really adore Sulani and not just for the scenery but also for what is possible to do there besides vacationing. I have several households in my rotation that live there.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Get Famous (Del Sol Valley)
    Get Famous world is by far my favorite if I could have it larger say 90 or so lots with a swimmable ocean I'd never touch any other world
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    I tend to find myself using Brindleton Bay and Windenberg the most. I think I just like that kind of climate/scenery and I also love the fact you have little islands on both worlds. They also both have plenty of lots, and pretty large ones at that!
    But I love my farmlife/simple living play too so I often find myself in Henford-on-Bagley....even though it rains all the time!
  • Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,019 Member
    Island Living (Sulani)
    @dogzdinner I love the island in Windenberg. It's my favorite part of that world. And I agree, rain is the only downside of HoB. Another great world and community.