March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who is still building worlds?

flstriderflstrider Posts: 1,912 Member
edited February 16 in Nominated Threads
I cannot believe that it has been over 3 years since I have posted in these forums. I have been working with the Unreal Engine 4 for the past year and have learned that the heightmaps I created for CAW work in unreal as well. I am getting ready to work on figuring out the scaling of the heightmaps to recreate my Sims 3 worlds into Unreal and also return to CAW and create some new worlds for the Sims3 starting with the reworking of Stormwind/Elwynn Forest. I am wondering who is still around and if the Sims 3 is still popular enough to warrant a return?

Some of my work in Unreal so far:
shipworks2.png?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
overview.png?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
Lumbermill_Start.jpg
My World's thread linked in Sig
NewSig.jpg

Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• MadDoctor61MadDoctor61 Posts: 414 Member
    I'm still building, well really, working on my first world. The forums are vibrant so it would seem that there are still plenty of people playing The Sims 3. I came to post my own question.
  • RLP4444wildblueRLP4444wildblue Posts: 28 Member
    Ohhhh, wow , that would be so nice . The worlds I play in are made by you , Rflong7, Quailhogs , Il Grande Lama , Tedhi , YourPicasso25, PotatoBalladSims , Doublemedion694 . The detail in the worlds these players make is so incredible and lifelike . It feels almost like I have shrunken down and am in the world , and some I wish I could do just that. I don't play with more than 3 of the EA worlds , and own all of them. I and so many others appreciate what all of you world builders do , never stop. I can not operate caw , and have to play my game in shorter intervals because I get severe migrains and am prone to seizures . So I make the time I spend playing count , and all of the content you creators make is so vital and makes the game enjoyable . So please all of you never stop. Thanks again for all you do .
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,988 Member
    I still make them and I'm currently working on one right now.
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    I find the Mod the Sims forums a bit more active then here. Glad you are back - I've always loved your work!
  • KiearaPhoenixKiearaPhoenix Posts: 212 Member
    Just finished one. Taking a brief break but gathering materials/ideas/inspiration for planning a small to medium world with a japanese cyberpunk feel. Or might go the small historical feudal japan route, haven't quite decided.
  • wineland88Pwineland88P Posts: 599 Member
    Just finished one. Taking a brief break but gathering materials/ideas/inspiration for planning a small to medium world with a japanese cyberpunk feel. Or might go the small historical feudal japan route, haven't quite decided.

I love the idea of this world! Should be really fun to play when it is finished!
  • SomosvariosSomosvarios Posts: 17 Member
    Hello! I am working in 3 worlds. 2 are in test mode. I am building the another one, a apocalyptic world.
    1.Supernatural world.
    2.Small rural world: Ceubert
    3.Apocalyptic: Aresburn
    4a2f98f5630854cc5288548d8426378dc9958df0.jpg
    55fa944a3c294bf77bfeddc96c4b7872bd08e2ab.jpg

• goderguygoderguy Posts: 6 New Member
    Please forgive me if this request is forbidden, but do any of you still building worlds take requests? I am looking for a lush/green version of Lucky Palms. Editing in CAW is just too far beyond my creative/patience skillset. Layout and scenery wise, it's my favorite world (I do not have any custom ones as of yet), and would like a greener version with a non-arid climate. If this post/request isn't allowed, please delete and accept my sincerest apologies.
    edited February 2022
    @goderguy
    Someone answered your post over at MTS with a link - I knew someone still had those files!
  • goderguygoderguy Posts: 6 New Member
    Yay! Thanks for the heads up. 😁 I figured no one was going to have the file, or wouldn’t reply to the thread any longer.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Please do return! TS3 has been discovered again by those in seek of gameplay richness, open words, cars, freed babies, etc. and modders are making new stuff for it all the time. Sims4.youtubers hmwho only recently tried 3, extol its virtue. A Renaissance is afoot.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    edited February 2022
    @goderguy
    I hope you got the download before it was deleted. Not sure why it was as I don't think that world is "pirated". I'm going to see if it's in my history folder. /fingers crossed
    Found it and downloading as this world is really a lost creation. - let me know if you need.
    Post edited by KatyFernlily on
  • elisa27140elisa27140 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey ;) moi j'aimerais bien utiliser le logiciel CAW mais il ne se lance pas ! sniff quelle dommage
  • paddenstoel00paddenstoel00 Posts: 3 New Member
    I would really like to create a world myself, but I always get an error whe ntrying to edit in game. :( I've been trying different things to fix it, but I'm slightly giving up now... Is there maybe another way to get all rabbit holes in my worl other than edit in game? Would it become a problem if I would never edit in game?
    edited February 2022
    @paddenstoel00

Edit in game is borked depending on your versions. What I do is remove the DCache and/or Mods folder while working in EIG. It's mainly the store content (located in the DCache folder) that keeps it from saving, etc. Of course, some content won't show up because of this. DO NOT delete these files but place on the desktop or in a safe place you remember so you can add them back into your game once finished with editing. You can always redecorate your lots as you want after you have them placed and your world is finished.

As far as rabbit holes are concerned - I do not use them and prefer to use the rabbit hole rugs that can be placed in any building or on any lot, for that matter. I find that I save more space with the rugs plus the buildings I choose to use as workplaces for my sims just look nicer then the EA ones.
    https://www.nraas.net/community/Building

Example - my police station -

de823410c8e1aff3eae927ce2618ea824420d531.jpg
  • fluttereyesfluttereyes Posts: 2,337 Member
    I have made my own worlds since we first got CAW. None of the EA worlds ever offer what I need. I have a Scandinavian World and also more than one Scottish world. I tend to make larger worlds and not everyone can play them so I stopped uploading them when I closed my own site down. Yes I will make more worlds in the future when I get bored playing. The one I play now is a Scottish world and the town centre is made with the rabbit holes from University with rabbit hole rugs to change their purpose, it has more than one village in it, one with older styled houses and a more modern section of bungalows and houses and then there's a section with fairly modern builds. I would love to try Real Engine.

• texanskytexansky Posts: 1,346 Member
    I am working on a world called Alryne in Wimbourne county. I've got the town laid out with all of the typical shops and hangouts. I started this world to use for the Nothing Is Free challenge.
    Too many worlds combine multiple rabbit holes in a single lot, which doesn't work well for the challenge.
    I still need to add the equestrian lots and a couple of odd lot size hangouts. I will include extra 30x30, 30x40, 40x40, 50x50, 60x60 and 64x64 lots that people can use to add their favorites.
    Once I get the building all placed, I'll work on adding spawners, trees and other environmental objects to give the place some charm and a lived-in feel.
  • texanskytexansky Posts: 1,346 Member
    I'm making progress on Alryne Valley. I added Valley to the name. I started a thread here: Alryne Valley
  • ptitjunkyptitjunky Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi all !

After years without having touched the game, disgust with the Sims 4, even after having retained all the expansions, I naturally came back to The Sims 3, one of the best opuses for me (especially with the open world which is a real pleasure )

However I have always played on Sunset Valley, I don't really like the other worlds with their more than questionable optimization.

I long searched for a small world, which housed a downtown with buildings, and a suburban part; but there too always great disappointments.

So, I started with the CAW to make my world, small (to get the best possible performance) and focusing on what I was looking for (city, suburbs) so I started working on an "Old Town" map of Sims 1 in order to allow my sims to take advantage of all the extensions without making it overflow with useless objects and functions (CC, Store etc) only from the base game and extensions (vanilla).
    I'm currently working on this project, unfortunately I'm learning slowly and I'm not the best at creating.

So, I throw a bottle, if ever people would be interested or would seek the same thing as me.
  • pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member
    I'm not usually a user of CAW, but I kind of started trying to create my dream world. It is heavily based on another world called Coventry, which is a New England style world. I was so excited by the look and feel of this world and was eagerly waiting for it's release! Unfortunately, it seems that it has been abandoned :'( So, I decided I would make my own version! I call it St. Walden, which is the last name of my first legacy family (you can see Sybil Walden in my signature). CAW is a lot harder than I thought it would be and takes a lot of work, but I haven't given up on my world yet! I think Sims 3 is still popular enough to return to it, though I do wish the forums were more active. It was so active just a couple of years ago; I took a little break and came back to an almost dead forum :/
  • GenLaureneGenLaurene Posts: 1 New Member
    @KatyFernlily do you have a copy of CAW? I had some bugs and reinstalled Sims 3 and when I went to download CAW the link no longer works. After speaking with EA they told me this is no longer available :(
    @GenLaurene - if you click on the archived link at the bottom of this page - https://thesimscatalog.com/sims3/downloads/worlds/create-a-world-download/ - you should be able to get it. Not sure of the version.
  • ApGengarApGengar Posts: 1 New Member
    well, actually I started to build world some time ago, but I had a lot of problems with the roads, I was recreating beacon bay for TS3 but I only made the beta world and the sims, and I kinda get stuck :'(
  • CordeliaBeaufortCordeliaBeaufort Posts: 76 Member
    Not building worlds but I still do tomb building, currently working on a tomb!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top