Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you update 100s of Mods and CC?

2...Next

Comments

• ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    @Chaotic_Moira Just tried it now. It works :grin:

Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 367 Member
    @Chaotic_Moira good lick with the gallery working for you when offline cause every time I go to the gallery when offline it wants me to login
  • Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    @Chaotic_Moira Just tried it now. It works :grin:

I was just coming to post the same thing! 😀 Yay!

@Chaotic_Moira good lick with the gallery working for you when offline cause every time I go to the gallery when offline it wants me to login

The test was to see if you could login whilst in game though without the pushed update causing a problem. Since the game won't update while you are already playing, the theory was it should work. And it did. So I can play as normal, and wait to update until I know all my mods are compatible, no waiting..

Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    @Chaotic_Moira Did the Gallery load pretty quickly for you? Every time I've ever tried that while playing offline it gives me an attempting-to-connect message but I always lose patience after a couple of minutes or so of waiting to see if it'll ever actually connect. :lol: Maybe I'm not giving it enough time? :grimace:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    @VeeDub

You have to do a little bit of fiddling around.

Load Game
    Set Game Options | Other | Online Social Features/Auto-Reconnect to enabled

Then it should connect quicker
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
    @VeeDub

You have to do a little bit of fiddling around.

Load Game
    Set Game Options | Other | Online Social Features/Auto-Reconnect to enabled

Then it should connect quicker

Hmm, I already have it set that way, but it never completes the connection. I once waited at least 5 minutes, possibly more. After that I decided it wasn't really worth the bother, as I never have an urgent need to immediately browse the Gallery, anyway. :lol:

Thanks for your reply, though! Much appreciated. :)
    edited April 2022
    VeeDub wrote: »
    @Chaotic_Moira Did the Gallery load pretty quickly for you? Every time I've ever tried that while playing offline it gives me an attempting-to-connect message but I always lose patience after a couple of minutes or so of waiting to see if it'll ever actually connect. :lol: Maybe I'm not giving it enough time? :grimace:

This is an issue for me too. I don't have auto reconnect on. But what I do is try to connect, give it a few seconds, if it looks like it is going to stall out, I just hit cancel and then reconnect again, then it almost always connects normally. I don't know why, but this seems to work for me.

Honestly since it almost always stalls on the first try, usually I only wait like 5 or 10 seconds and cancel. I don't even bother giving it time, cause this seems to fix it. I have waited ages like you said just for it to not connect at all before I found this.

| Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
    VeeDub wrote: »

This is an issue for me too. I don't have auto reconnect on. But what I do is try to connect, give it a few seconds, if it looks like it is going to stall out, I just hit cancel and then reconnect again, then it almost always connects normally. I don't know why, but this seems to work for me.

Honestly since it almost always stalls on the first try, usually I only wait like 5 or 10 seconds and cancel. I don't even bother giving it time, cause this seems to fix it. I have waited ages like you said just for it to not connect at all before I found this.

Ok, cool. I'll try that the next time I play offline. Thanks! :)
    @VeeDub let me know if it works for you as well. Hopefully it does. It would be curious if it is something random for me.
  • AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    I don't. It's a wonder that my game still runs properly.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
    AngelEb95 wrote: »
    I don't. It's a wonder that my game still runs properly.

So you don't bother updating any mods even? Do you just keep playing and hoping nothing goes wrong?
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    My mods folder is currently 17.4 GB. I play with a lot of mods and CC. I use big mods like MCCC, Wonderful Whims, etc. I've never seriously considered playing a Sims game without mods, and with Sims 4, I've developed my own ways of protecting my saves.

I generally update things before I patch my game or buy a new pack. I never update or buy a pack on day 1. I was willing to be EA's beta tester back in Sims 3 days, but I experienced serious bugs and even lost saves because of it so now I always wait a minimum of a day or two after a patch drops to update my game to see what's actually being affected by the patch. Normally, I wait quite a while because I want to use updated versions of my mods.

I can't be bothered with a spreadsheet, but I have a general sense of which mods are most likely to cause problems and/or need to be updated, so I just check those individually. After a while, I think everyone gets a sense of which types of mods will likely be affected by patches (ex. T.O.O.L, BetterBuildBuy, UI cheats...).

My process is to backup my saves by copying them to another folder, update the mods, remove the mods folder, delete cache files, update the game, repair the game, run it once, and then put my mods back. Some patches are more troublesome than others, so I won't necessarily exercise this much care every time, but it's generally what I do.

Luckily, my game doesn't have any issues. I'm able to play my 64x64 lots with a ton of objects, lots of Sims, lots of mods, and no lag.

• MsDSweetsMsDSweets Posts: 86 Member
    O-M-G!!! You guys are awesome. This is a great convo. I am a guilty mod hog. My current mod folder is 200gb. :# I need intervention - mod rehab.

On another note - I'm reorganizing my mods folder. Decided to create one folder that is CAS (with individual creator folders inside); one that is B&B (with individual creator folders inside) and then one for FOODs. Already have one for jobs, traits, holidays. As for SCRIPTS - They will be the only folders directly in the mods folder.

As far as updating goes, I use Discord and the Sims Forum, waiting about a week to allow modder updates to be posted.
    The only mods that are must haves - just can't play without: MCCC, UICheats.

Also, I have a vanilla save for those desperate times.

• FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I have almost 15,000 files in my mods folder. I had to find a way to organize those files that made sense to me and would minimize stress if updates were needed.
    • I keep items for each CC creator in their own folder and each individual mod in its own folder.
    • I have corresponding bookmarks in my browser for each CC creator and mod... organized alphabetically.
    • I check the updates thread here daily.
    • I also keep the mod links in a separate folder so I can easily choose "open all" to open all my mod links at once and go through one by one to check for updates that may have been missed on the updates thread. I only do this every other week or so.
    • I'll play a vanilla save and wait a few days if there's been a big update.
    • About every two months or so... or after a major game update... I delete my entire mod folder. I go through my CC and mod links to redownload items I still want to keep. This helps keep my CC updated and makes me think about what items and mods I'm actually using.
    • In between times, I use a combination of SimStudio to batch fix items and Tray Importer to find broken CC.
    It does sound a bit time consuming, but most updates take me a couple of minutes and it has been very rare for me to have mod-related issues.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
    @FurAndYarn You download 15,000 files approximately every two months? Doesn't that take hours (not in Internet speed), but it sounds like a lot of time spent on CC/mod shopping.
    haneul wrote: »
    @FurAndYarn You download 15,000 files approximately every two months? Doesn't that take hours (not in Internet speed), but it sounds like a lot of time spent on CC/mod shopping.

It sort of accumulates over the weeks. I like to browse CC every morning as part of my wakeup routine.
    z5lD0kSm.png
    edited May 2022
    FurAndYarn wrote: »

It sort of accumulates over the weeks. I like to browse CC every morning as part of my wakeup routine.

Okay. I was just surprised because that's almost 2,000 items a week (300 items daily). I honestly couldn't handle adding and removing that much so frequently.
    Okay. I was just surprised because that's almost 2,000 items a week (300 items daily). I honestly couldn't handle adding and removing that much so frequently.

I always tell myself I'm going to cut back but then I see a cute CAS collection by one creator or a stylish living set by another. Then several mods are made up multiple files and all the little fixes from modders like Bienchen and LittleMsSam. I also do have a couple folders from retired creators that I just can't part with and those get moved back from my backup drive after every clean out. I'm always a bit surprised when I realize how much has added up in just a few weeks. :D

I think I enjoy the "shopping" for CC almost as much as the game. It's just part of playing for me, so I don't find it overwhelming... in fact, it's quite relaxing and cathartic for me.

z5lD0kSm.png
    @FurAndYarn :o Holy cow! Yeah I was thinking the same as @haneul... Just kinda confused about the deleting and reaccumulating. That sounds so overwhelming to me. I do enjoy when I find mods or cc I really need, or I see something really creative. I enjoy clutter mostly, or new modded bb objects that impress me. I have gotten lost in the pleasure of finding things I like. But I think dealing with the maintenance of it all just sort of spoils the pleasure for me. Whenever an update comes it's like I am 12 years old again and I am being told, no more games for you until you do your chores..

I couldn't remove my cc like that though. If I did, when I loaded my game all my sims would be bald. It would be a nightmare, lol.
    My process is to backup my saves by copying them to another folder, update the mods, remove the mods folder, delete cache files, update the game, repair the game, run it once, and then put my mods back. Some patches are more troublesome than others, so I won't necessarily exercise this much care every time, but it's generally what I do.

This thread has been a big help for me. I didn't realize before that I could keep playing without patching immediately. And the Wedding pack was a lesson for me on not getting the packs right away. I won't be installing a new one again until I see how things are going with it. I should write down the steps everyone takes so I just follow the steps each time or something, otherwise I forget little steps. Like I kept forgetting to remove my mods folder before updating, and then I kept forgetting to delete my cache...

Luckily, like you I have never actually had any problems despite my missing these things. I did once have an issue with my game crashing, and I went through and found the offending cc. It wasn't difficult..

So you repair the game even when you haven't been having problems?

MsDSweets wrote: »
    O-M-G!!! You guys are awesome. This is a great convo. I am a guilty mod hog. My current mod folder is 200gb. :# I need intervention - mod rehab.

On another note - I'm reorganizing my mods folder. Decided to create one folder that is CAS (with individual creator folders inside); one that is B&B (with individual creator folders inside) and then one for FOODs. Already have one for jobs, traits, holidays. As for SCRIPTS - They will be the only folders directly in the mods folder.

As far as updating goes, I use Discord and the Sims Forum, waiting about a week to allow modder updates to be posted.
    The only mods that are must haves - just can't play without: MCCC, UICheats.

Also, I have a vanilla save for those desperate times.

See I can't play without mods, so I don't have a vanilla save. As much as I LOVE MCCC and UICheats, most the ones I can't play without are by LittleMsSam and Bienchen. And there are a good handful. I could get by without MCCC or UICheats for a little while if I HAD to.

I only just learned I can play without updating the game, so that will be my method moving forward for sure. I will only be updating for new game play updates, or patches where I personally have experienced the glitches.. That means less maintenance for me. I currently did not update with last one.

This thread has been a big help for me. I didn't realize before that I could keep playing without patching immediately. And the Wedding pack was a lesson for me on not getting the packs right away. I won't be installing a new one again until I see how things are going with it. I should write down the steps everyone takes so I just follow the steps each time or something, otherwise I forget little steps. Like I kept forgetting to remove my mods folder before updating, and then I kept forgetting to delete my cache...

Luckily, like you I have never actually had any problems despite my missing these things. I did once have an issue with my game crashing, and I went through and found the offending cc. It wasn't difficult..

So you repair the game even when you haven't been having problems?

@Chaotic_Moira Forgetting to delete cache or to remove mods really shouldn't cause you any problems (hopefully :)), so I think it's generally fine to forget those steps. You can delete the cache files at any time and I remove my mods out of extreme caution/to remind myself to back things up. Updates really shouldn't mess them up.

I find that little bugs or odd things begin to show up if I don't repair my game every few months (e.g., a bald townie Sim). I think my playstyle is really computer intensive (Reshade, lots of CC, lots of mods, lots of Sims, lots of objects, maxed settings...), so I do what I can to keep the game running quickly and lag-free. I use big patch updates and new pack installations as a time to repair my game. I won't repair for every little patch.

@FurAndYarn I'm still impressed by how quickly you accumulate CC. I like CC shopping too, but unless it's something I never use, I don't want to remove it. I just keep it and add more and more... until my game becomes "spot the EA/Maxis item."