Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

T.O.O.L and BB&B...

LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
edited March 2022 in General Mods Discussion
I'm NOT tech savvy at all, I'm old and easily frustrated. lol I'm wondering if anyone can help me...HOW do I install these mods? As a builder, I really feel desperate to get T.O.O.L mod to bring my builds up a notch but I've tried downloading it and installing it and obviously I've done it wrong. I've got a new laptop, not even a year and a half old, and am using windows 11. I've got plenty of room and power to use these mods. ANY and ALL help will be so appreciated that words will escape me!
Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!

Comments

• GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    Here's a quick checklist of all the problems I could think of:

Have you unzipped the download file?
    - For BBB you should have a folder called "Tmex-BetterBuildBuy"
    - For TOOL it's called "Tmex-TOOL"

Have you dragged those folders directly into your mods folder?
    - It should be something like */Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/Mods
    - They won't work if you put them in a sub-folder.

Have you enabled script mods in game?
    - Under Game Options: Other > tick the checkbox that says "Enable Custom Content and Mods" and "Script Mods Allowed"

Have you properly tested if the mods are working? If I remember correctly, they should show a notification to let you know they're installed, but perhaps you missed it?
    - For TOOL, press shift-T to get the TOOL menu.
    - For BBB, you may need to activate it. There's a tick box you must check called "Organized Debug" in the build buy catalog filter menu. (It's in the same area where you sort for color and style and such). The tick box should be there if you installed it correctly.

Hope this helps!
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member

- Under Game Options: Other > tick the checkbox that says "Enable Custom Content and Mods" and "Script Mods Allowed"

Have you properly tested if the mods are working? If I remember correctly, they should show a notification to let you know they're installed, but perhaps you missed it?
    - For BBB, you may need to activate it. There's a tick box you must check called "Organized Debug" in the build buy catalog filter menu. (It's in the same area where you sort for color and style and such). The tick box should be there if you installed it correctly.

Hope this helps!

I did unzip it, or at least I thought I did. I did drag them to my mods folder. Do I have to have 2 separate folders for these thing? 1 for BBB and another for T.O.O.L? Do I put them in the mods folder? I've never downloaded mods before, CC yes but never mods. I don't remember seeing a notification letting me know they installed. Do you know what the latest T.O.O.L. and BBB is? So I download the right one?
  • GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member

Hope this helps!

I did unzip it, or at least I thought I did. I did drag them to my mods folder. Do I have to have 2 separate folders for these thing? 1 for BBB and another for T.O.O.L? Do I put them in the mods folder? I've never downloaded mods before, CC yes but never mods. I don't remember seeing a notification letting me know they installed. Do you know what the latest T.O.O.L. and BBB is? So I download the right one?

When you download the mod as a zip it's called something like: "TwistedMexi's TOOL v2.4.1 Official.zip". Inside that zip is a folder called "Tmex-TOOL". You need to drag that folder directly into your mods folder. It's similar with BBB.

So, when you go to your mods folder you should see a folder called "Tmex-BetterBuildBuy" and a folder called "Tmex-TOOL". If those aren't there, you haven't installed it correctly.

If the folders are showing up correctly in your mods folder, but the mods still aren't working in game, it might be because you don't have script mods allowed in your game options. If you've never installed mods before, there's a high chance this might be the case, as the game doesn't enable them by default. To enable them, go to the options menu, and under "Other" check off the tick box that say "Script Mods Allowed".

The best way to find the latest version would be through TwistedMexi's homepage: https://twistedmexi.com/
    Thank you so much for your explanation! I'm about to run out the door to see THE BATMAN but when I get home I'm gonna try yet again! THEN I'll have to figure out how to use it! lol
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I just downloaded some Twisted Mexi mods yesterday. I had a problem with them because I initially had the box checked that said open with Windows Explorer. This resulted in a zip folder that unzipped into pyc files.

If these are like the ones I downloaded, you want to make sure you save the file instead.Then, when you click on the download arrow on your browser you will see it. Just click on open containing folder and drag the script file into your mods folder.
    I tried again, both BBB and the T.O.O.L. are in the mods folder, but they're still not working or showing up in my game. I've got CC and Script Mods enabled. I give up. This really sucks, I wish I was tech savvy just even a little bit! Don't get old, y'all!
  • MarmaladeJadeMarmaladeJade Posts: 108 Member
    I tried again, both BBB and the T.O.O.L. are in the mods folder, but they're still not working or showing up in my game. I've got CC and Script Mods enabled. I give up. This really sucks, I wish I was tech savvy just even a little bit! Don't get old, y'all!

I'll be turning 40 next year so, I got 10+ years to go before I can say I'm getting old. Anywho, Don't give up so easily. I hate to do this but since I'm hard-headed and I'd feel bad if you couldn't at least get to try these mods, I'll break it down for you. Please forgive me if this seems/sounds condescending in any way; that is not my intention at all.

1. Delete the Tool and Better Build/Buy folders. Sub folders or copies of the mod must be deleted first or at least sent to the Trash/Recycle Bin.

2. Save (don't open or extract) Twisted Mexi's zip files for the respective mods you want (T.O.O.L. & Better Build/Buy). Try and pay attention to where they save. I did not "upgrade" to Window's 11 so I don't know if there is still a "Downloads" folder (I learned from Windows XP not to upgrade so soon with Microsoft.)

3. Have the folder where the zip files have downloaded opened, as well as your Mods folder. You'd want to cut (not copy) the zipfiles and paste them into your Mods folder.

4. Do not extract a thing. Double-click which ever zipfile you'd like and open the file.
    xsyab4bixz5a.png

5. If the folder looks like below, please let me know. You can also repeat the same steps for the other zipfile as well.
    8zfansszsst4.png

6. Go back to your 'Sims 4' folder and make sure that your 'Cache', 'Cachestr', 'onlinethumbnailcache' folders, and your 'localthumbnailcache' file are deleted.

7. Restart the game as normal, load a save and go into Build/Buy somewhere. If the Better Build Buy mod is installed correctly, you should more than likely have BB.moveobjects on. If you don't, press the tilde button ( it has this symbol: ~). With T.O.O.L., you should be able to shift click anywhere and the button with the mod's name should pop up.

I know that was quite a bit but I was trying to be cautiously thorough.
    I did not find you to be condescending at all! Thank you, I'll try again tomorrow. Real life must happen right now.
    Okay I'm going to be trying this today or tomorrow. I was going to do it a couple weeks ago but my 23yo son had a Grand Mal seizure. Scared the ever loving you-know-what out of me, he's been healthy so far. All his tests have been good though, no tumours, no real reason for the seizure. Thank god. But he can't play most video games and he cannot drive and that's driving him nuts. Anyway I took out all my mods and cc and am adding them back in so I'm gonna try again with T.O.O.L. and BBB when I get the chance! Thanks everyone for your help!

I'll be turning 40 next year so, I got 10+ years to go before I can say I'm getting old. Anywho, Don't give up so easily. I hate to do this but since I'm hard-headed and I'd feel bad if you couldn't at least get to try these mods, I'll break it down for you. Please forgive me if this seems/sounds condescending in any way; that is not my intention at all.

1. Delete the Tool and Better Build/Buy folders. Sub folders or copies of the mod must be deleted first or at least sent to the Trash/Recycle Bin.

2. Save (don't open or extract) Twisted Mexi's zip files for the respective mods you want (T.O.O.L. & Better Build/Buy). Try and pay attention to where they save. I did not "upgrade" to Window's 11 so I don't know if there is still a "Downloads" folder (I learned from Windows XP not to upgrade so soon with Microsoft.)

3. Have the folder where the zip files have downloaded opened, as well as your Mods folder. You'd want to cut (not copy) the zipfiles and paste them into your Mods folder.

4. Do not extract a thing. Double-click which ever zipfile you'd like and open the file.
    xsyab4bixz5a.png

5. If the folder looks like below, please let me know. You can also repeat the same steps for the other zipfile as well.
    8zfansszsst4.png

6. Go back to your 'Sims 4' folder and make sure that your 'Cache', 'Cachestr', 'onlinethumbnailcache' folders, and your 'localthumbnailcache' file are deleted.

7. Restart the game as normal, load a save and go into Build/Buy somewhere. If the Better Build Buy mod is installed correctly, you should more than likely have BB.moveobjects on. If you don't, press the tilde button ( it has this symbol: ~). With T.O.O.L., you should be able to shift click anywhere and the button with the mod's name should pop up.

I know that was quite a bit but I was trying to be cautiously thorough.

Okay....I've tried this and it still doesn't work. When I go to extract the files it says the folders are empty. I can "cut" but there is no option to paste? I'm not sure about that, I used to just drag things over. I give up...I'm just not getting this.
    TBH? I'm not even sure where my CC and MODS are going. I've got the red shelf and another set that, even after deleting my mods folder, are still in my game. I think having Windows 11 is my problem here.
  • MarmaladeJadeMarmaladeJade Posts: 108 Member
    Oooh, I haven't upgraded to Windows 11. I don't want that aggravation yet. I'd have to play around with my daughter's laptop or my sister's laptop to get a better idea.
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    I'm NOT tech savvy at all, I'm old and easily frustrated. lol I'm wondering if anyone can help me...HOW do I install these mods? As a builder, I really feel desperate to get T.O.O.L mod to bring my builds up a notch but I've tried downloading it and installing it and obviously I've done it wrong. I've got a new laptop, not even a year and a half old, and am using windows 11. I've got plenty of room and power to use these mods. ANY and ALL help will be so appreciated that words will escape me!

@Lizzychicago
    I've just recently added BBB back to my mods folder and realized after about 2 hours that the yellow BBB folder has two folders. Not sure why but BBB is in two yellow folders, once you unzip it as you have then open that folder and grab the yellow folder from there and add it to your mods folder and see if that works! The T.O.O.L mod also is in two folders after unzipping it open the first yellow folder and then grab the folder that is in there and add it to your mods folder. I hope this makes sense!
    BreeMiles wrote: »

@Lizzychicago
    I've just recently added BBB back to my mods folder and realized after about 2 hours that the yellow BBB folder has two folders. Not sure why but BBB is in two yellow folders, once you unzip it as you have then open that folder and grab the yellow folder from there and add it to your mods folder and see if that works! The T.O.O.L mod also is in two folders after unzipping it open the first yellow folder and then grab the folder that is in there and add it to your mods folder. I hope this makes sense!

I will try that, thank you! I also just wonder if Windows 11 downloads things differently?