Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has Neighborhood Stories Gone Wild In Your Game?

Comments

• GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    Features like this actually prevent me from buying any more packs. I'll not update my game until it is guaranteed that no played sim will get hurt. All my houses are actively played and there is no way I would allow EA ruin it all by randomness.

I have it entirely turned off for all played and unplayed Sims and have not had one issue. If it's switched off, it's switched off. So don't let it stop you if you want more packs. :)
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    @catmando830 Yes, but only in manage households. If you haven't gone into manage households to turn it on then you have nothing to worry about, it doesn't run unless you check the box to turn it on. it doesn't run automatically.
    Not exactly. It’s defaulted as off for Played Households. But it’s defaulted as on for Unplayed Households.

The checkbox in Game Options will override whatever is in Manage Households, so that’s where I turn it off when I don’t want it running at all.
  • SamadamsPlayerSamadamsPlayer Posts: 583 Member
    I have aging off at the moment
    When I first put on neighborhood stories my saved households where controlled or so I thought and the rest they can do what they like got caught up in playing my game went to check on my saved families and in the span of one sim week a baby boom happened with all of them
    One household had 4 babies in a row
    Another had 3 babies whitest the rest had two babies
    So when I have it on I’m checking and making sure when a saved family has a baby I turn that option off after lesson learned
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    edited May 2022
    babajayne wrote: »
    @catmando830 Yes, but only in manage households. If you haven't gone into manage households to turn it on then you have nothing to worry about, it doesn't run unless you check the box to turn it on. it doesn't run automatically.
    Not exactly. It’s defaulted as off for Played Households. But it’s defaulted as on for Unplayed Households.

The checkbox in Game Options will override whatever is in Manage Households, so that’s where I turn it off when I don’t want it running at all.

Until somebody mentioned it, I never saw it in my game options. I rarely go in there, I have my game settings exactly how I like them so no real need to look around in there. The time or two I went in there after the release of neighborhood stories, the way the options menu lays out on my screen it was barely even visible so it never caught my eye. Same thing with the switch for bust the dust, it was hidden by the settings for Eco Lifestyle which were always open so I never saw the BtD switch until I googled how to shut it off.

Until somebody mentioned it, I never saw it in my game options. I rarely go in there, I have my game settings exactly how I like them so no real need to look around in there. The time or two I went in there after the release of neighborhood stories, the way the options menu lays out on my screen it was barely even visible so it never caught my eye. Same thing with the switch for bust the dust, it was hidden by the settings for Eco Lifestyle which were always open so I never saw the BtD switch until I googled how to shut it off.
    I understand that. But you had said it doesn’t run unless you turn it on in Manage Households. But that’s not true for Unplayed Households. It is turned on by default for them. I don’t know if you didn’t see that because of your screen resolution or if you only looked under the Played Households. I just felt it was important to point this out so people aren’t misled.
  • ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    As someone who always used SP mods and loved that aspect in sims 3, I was thrilled by this change. Initially.
    However it did run a bit out of control in my game and that's probably my fault for not going through all the unplayed households. But the sheer volume of adopted dogs and cats and babies appearing was too much.
    EVERY unplayed house is now full of babies and pets. One old lady has adopted 5 dogs. The Pancakes have 3 toddlers. I hadn't touched Sulani in this save and had no families there but now each household is chock full. Wasn't really expecting that.

So I'm going to start a brand new save and carefully check every household that might be playable in the future.

edited May 2022

I understand that. But you had said it doesn’t run unless you turn it on in Manage Households. But that’s not true for Unplayed Households. It is turned on by default for them. I don’t know if you didn’t see that because of your screen resolution or if you only looked under the Played Households. I just felt it was important to point this out so people aren’t misled.

You are correct, if someone had seen only my post they would have been misled. Sorry, I was just clarifying how I missed the fact that there was a global switch. I apologize for any confusion my reply may have caused, I never intended for it to sound like i was contradicting you.🙂

Edit: Forgot to add, I hadn't noticed any new or different behaviors from any of my unplayed households until I turned it on under manage household, that's why a global switch never occurred to me. Sincerely, thank you for cleaning up any messes my misinformed post may have caused.
    Post edited by DaniRose2143 on
    @DaniRose2143 It’s all good ☺️
    edited May 2022
    @babajayne I figured it was.🙂 I just need to slow down and not get so eager to chip in. I need to realize I have fallen behind in knowing the gameplay aspects because I have been so caught up in CAS and BB for the last couple of years. This place isn't going anywhere, so I need to read and go play more and get caught up, then come back and jump in.🙂

That misleading comment wasn't the first recently.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I have NS turned off completely for my households and others. However, I wish we could also turn off the phone calls as well. My challenge Sim kept getting calls from one of his friends (last year's challenge Sim) about having a baby. I had read if you tell them it's not a good idea, they will get indignant and have one to spite your decision. In light of that, I had him tell her to make up her own mind. She said that was too hard, blah, blah. Oh, and he was a teen at the time too. Who would ask that kind of a decision from a teen? Anyway, they ended up having a child. I didn't mind one child, I thought that would be the end of it. Nope!

She started calling him again, every single day, sometimes twice or three times a day. With the calls after the first child, I had him tell her no, it's not a good idea. She thanked him for helping them avert possibly making a mistake each time. I thought that meant they wouldn't have another child. Pfft, I should've known better. They had another one anyway. After that I took her into CAS and disabled her ability to have children. I don't have MCCC. At the end of my challenge last year, I made Essa and Josh YA vampires as part of my story. I didn't plan for them to have any more children, they already had grown twin daughters, grandchildren and even a couple great-grandchildren.

However, he then started to get calls from Bella Goth. I knew what to expect this time and edited her too in CAS. I guess that's what I'll need to do from now on if he gets any more calls. The weird thing is, while he was very good friends with the first Sim, he barely knows Bella. It's not very realistic she would call him and ask such a personal life decision of a virtual acquaintance. It's a fun feature, but it can be very annoying and not very realistic. I know it's probably hard to program something like that, but I wish it would at least not have them call so many times. When the Sim they've called gives their answer, that should be the end of it and it should only be calls from Sims they are very good friends with in the first place.

Just my two cents... Happy Simming! <3
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    It's not very realistic she would call him and ask such a personal life decision of a virtual acquaintance. It's a fun feature, but it can be very annoying and not very realistic. I know it's probably hard to program something like that, but I wish it would at least not have them call so many times. When the Sim they've called gives their answer, that should be the end of it and it should only be calls from Sims they are very good friends with in the first place.

That's exactly what I thought too! It should have been programed in that only friends with a certain level of friendship should have the ability to actually call and ask these kinds of personal questions.

Also, there should be some type of a flippin' cool down! If they just had a baby (or adopted a child ... same with pets), make them wait an in-game week or something before they can start hounding our played sims again with the need to procreate. Otherwise they just become the video game version of a human baby machine ...... popping out babies as often as most people change their bed sheets!

It isn't a special occasion the way it's set up now.

I shut mine totally off too, because of these very reasons!
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    Oh, my word! I just got the notice that Thorne Bailey passed away! Apparently, he should have taken those swimming lessons. :open_mouth: I thought I toned down the NS. This is beyond the pale. I've already lost Dirk Dreamer. Who is next? NS is decimating my GF NPSs. :'(
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    Vladdy daddy died!! 😱
    This is the first save where I didn’t delete him or any premades cause i wanted them in my game and especially Vlad. I wanted my evil sim to become a crime lord and fight him when the werewolves arrive as the alpha of the wolfs.

But he had to frigging repair something in his house and then die from electrocution 😭
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Just another silly question: I read that non played households will get babies and pets. Will the SP check whether there is actually a married couple in that household, and if their relation is high enough, or will the game decide that all those houses will just *adopt* kids? Meaning DNA is rather random?

I'd prefer that an unplayed married couple had SP kids getting some of their DNA, but maybe that is not the case?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    @Simmerville There are separate options for having babies and adopting them. I haven't really checked if the ones that get pregnant are in relationships, though, since I've only allowed it on unplayed sims I don't care much about. I'd be curious to find out the answer too.
    Just another silly question: I read that non played households will get babies and pets. Will the SP check whether there is actually a married couple in that household, and if their relation is high enough, or will the game decide that all those houses will just *adopt* kids? Meaning DNA is rather random?

I'd prefer that an unplayed married couple had SP kids getting some of their DNA, but maybe that is not the case?
    @Simmerville Go into Manage Households, then Unplayed Households, and click the new icon for Neighborhood stories in the top right. You’ll see all the categories which include Adopt a Child, Have a Baby and Adopt Cats & Dogs. Personally, I did not want anyone to adopt unless they were a same-sex couple. So I clicked on Adopt a Child to deselect it for all unplayed households. (When you deselect something, it no longer has a green background.) Then I scrolled to the same-sex households and clicked the same new icon for them to manage their individual Neighborhood Stories, and selected Adopt a Child. Similarly, if I notice that a particular household is having many babies or adopting many kids or pets, I’ll go in and disable their ability to do that while keeping the setting in place for all the rest of those households.

So you have either option - a sweeping setting for all played or unplayed households, or an individual household setting. There’s also a checkbox to disable Neighborhood Stories in those settings which is why you see it’s disabled in Played Households by default.

Note: once you change a household on an individual level, any changes you make in the overall category will not apply to them. They keep the individual settings you have set. This also means that even if you disable Neighborhood Stories for all your Played or Unplayed Households using the checkbox in that same settings window, the customized households won’t be disabled- which is why the global setting in Game Options / Gameplay is so important to know about. That one lets you toggle the entire system on or off in one checkbox. (Except the phone calls- it won’t disable those.)
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Thanks @babajayne - awesome!
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited May 2022
    Vladdy daddy died!! 😱
    This is the first save where I didn’t delete him or any premades cause i wanted them in my game and especially Vlad. I wanted my evil sim to become a crime lord and fight him when the werewolves arrive as the alpha of the wolfs.

But he had to frigging repair something in his house and then die from electrocution 😭

Which is bizarre in itself because, similarly to the Goths, his house is technology free (barring the kitchen). His kitchen is unused and covered in cobwebs as he can't eat human food. Can't break items you don't use.
    edited May 2022

Single sims can only adopt.

Romantically involved couples (I think they have to be at least offically together as bf/gf) can both procreate (if biologically possible via CAS gender settings) or adopt, unless you change their settings.

I'm not sure if they have to be living with their partner, but from what I heard about unexpected pregnancies elsewhere on this forum, I don't think they do. If you don't want a played sim's unplayed partner to randomly get pregnant via your played sim, make sure both households have "Have a baby" disabled. You might like that unexpected drama, however.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »

Single sims can only adopt.

Romantically involved couples (I think they have to be at least offically together as bf/gf) can both procreate (if biologically possible via CAS gender settings) or adopt, unless you change their settings.

I'm not sure if they have to be living with their partner, but from what I heard about unexpected pregnancies elsewhere on this forum, I don't think they do. If you don't want a played sim's unplayed partner to randomly get pregnant via your played sim, make sure both households have "Have a baby" disabled. You might like that unexpected drama, however.

I second this, only Sims living under the same roof with a relationship marked as bf / gf or more can have biological children. Otherwise adoption is the only thing that can happen.

The system is fairly well made, the only thing I am really missing is the ability for Sims in romantic relationships to move in together. Of course there should be a separate toggle for "divorce" so that if a Sim in a "in house" relationship already get a romance bar with a Sim from another household they won't leave their significant other.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • GoddessBylineGoddessByline Posts: 281 Member
    edited May 2022
    GirafHuntr wrote: »
    Features like this actually prevent me from buying any more packs. I'll not update my game until it is guaranteed that no played sim will get hurt. All my houses are actively played and there is no way I would allow EA ruin it all by randomness.

I have it entirely turned off for all played and unplayed Sims and have not had one issue. If it's switched off, it's switched off. So don't let it stop you if you want more packs. :)

This it what I resorted to as well after a long played hood got nuked by this in just one day of gameplay.
    Fortunately, I always make a copy of my playing hoods at the start of each gaming day, because I know from experience that %#&! happens. This was a particularly nasty "feature" though. It totally wreaked havoc om marriages, living situations and future plans for a whole hood. Luckily I lost no more than one day of game play, which is bad enough.
    I don't use CC so if you see something in a screenshot of mine, it's from the game.
    EA Account (Gallery) ID: BylineBelife
  • ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    Quick question, I could have sworn there is a toggle in the Options/ Gameplay tab that you check to stop empty homes from filling.
    That toggle is gone, have looked everywhere and can't find it.
    Did neighbourhood stories override that feature?

In my new save empty houses are filling up and I don't want that at all. Think it's happening as the population is still fairly low but there was a way of switching that off.
    The Sigworth family have adopted 2 toddlers and had 2 babies in just under a sim week in this new save.
    I wish the game took into account the size of house and bedrooms available because now they're up to 5 kids. It's disappointing but have reached the point of switching the feature off entirely.
    Scrapdash wrote: »
    Quick question, I could have sworn there is a toggle in the Options/ Gameplay tab that you check to stop empty homes from filling.
    That toggle is gone, have looked everywhere and can't find it.
    Did neighbourhood stories override that feature?

In my new save empty houses are filling up and I don't want that at all. Think it's happening as the population is still fairly low but there was a way of switching that off.
    The Sigworth family have adopted 2 toddlers and had 2 babies in just under a sim week in this new save.
    I wish the game took into account the size of house and bedrooms available because now they're up to 5 kids. It's disappointing but have reached the point of switching the feature off entirely.

The fill houses feature in Options was made redundant as it does the same thing as the "Move In" option in NS, but less customisable. The team removed it in the last patch, I think.
  • Sc4rls01Sc4rls01 Posts: 11 New Member
    Oh my god yes! My neighbours keep on adopting children!
  • Sc4rls01Sc4rls01 Posts: 11 New Member
    I also get the glitch with the asking if they should have a baby multiple times