Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Copyright help!!!

Hi!!! I'm a huge Simmer and artist and I would love to combine my passions but I don't know what copyright laws are regarding selling art. I'm interested in creating digital portraits, drawn by myself, of clients as their Sim self. So taking a client, turning them into a Sim and then creating custom art work based on that image but not selling the actual in game renderings. Can I do anything with plumbobs, quotes in Simlish? Do I give credit anywhere? Who can I ask for correct info?

Comments

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,657 Member
    Hi!!! I'm a huge Simmer and artist and I would love to combine my passions but I don't know what copyright laws are regarding selling art. I'm interested in creating digital portraits, drawn by myself, of clients as their Sim self. So taking a client, turning them into a Sim and then creating custom art work based on that image but not selling the actual in game renderings. Can I do anything with plumbobs, quotes in Simlish? Do I give credit anywhere? Who can I ask for correct info?

I think EA/Maxis in general allow quite a lot of hints to the game. But if say the plumbob became a major part of your portraits, this might be different as the green thing is very much the branding of the game. So, I'd say using it once would be okay, but always including with your business it might be something different. I'm not a lawyer though, so id in your shoes, I'd contact EA support directly. It's better getting it from them than from other simmers.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Pretty well what was said above. It is best to contact the copyright holder and see if they have a process. They may give you permission or be willing to sell some sort of commercial license. Keep in mind, they can change their rules at any time, though.

The tricky thing here is at any point they could technically request you stop, violation or no violation. As long as they allege a violation and are committed to do so, they can take the issue to court if you do not comply. Obviously, if you are confidently in the right and don't mind going through a legal fight, it doesn't mean an automatic loss. However, I dare say most would try to avoid the process and capitulate.
  • Kristy79Kristy79 Posts: 1 New Member
    Is there a Forum for suggestions? I’m sure they are always making new things and ai love what they are doing but things such as Lawn Mower, new Rugs, video games not arcade. Pets dogs, cats, different throw pillows for couches, tooth brushes and Altoona paste