Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which expansion is the least essential for you?

Comments

• GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    Into the Future
    I use the stuff from ITF but I rarely ever go there.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Into the Future
    ITF because it's the only one I don't own and have no desire to get.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    Generations
    Out of curiosity, I noticed percentagewise 'Showtime' and 'Into The Future' make up over half of the 'Least Essential' list. I'm just curious as to what it is about these two packs which turns so many Simmers off?
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited April 2022
    Pets
    I have 3 of the 4 Pets-themed packs and don't play them at all. I totally skipped Sims 4 Cats and Dogs and My First Pet Stuff.

As for the most essential pack, it has to be Sims 2 University. I own all 3 University-themed packs but only actively play Sims 2 University.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    Showtime
    @mw1525, for me, my dislike for Showtime was a total dislike of an arts career - must have stemmed from my mother trying to force me into a music teaching career which I wasn’t suited for. 😁 so yes, it’s personal and I would never force any of my sims to do something I wouldn’t want to do.

Plus in real life. Success in the arts is not a straightline career as it is in the Sims 3. So no.

ITF is meh for me mainly because of the time it takes to travel to the future and back, but it’s still a darned sight more interesting than Showtime to me.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    Generations
    @Nikkei_Simmer - To be honest, I never play with any of the packs in the 'suggested' way. With that being said, I like Showtime because it introduces another level of 'acceptable sim entertainment' tools I can use without having to add an additional mod. And it offers non-rabbit hole careers I can build and use in any way I choose.

I find Into the Future to be a treasure trove of objects; interaction and Sims I can use to expand my gameplay especially in Lunar Lakes. Plus, at times I am 'Sim-lazy'. I like the genetically manipulated auto-descendants which are created from my Sim. This has been useful at times when I want to expand or deepen the history of my singular CAS created sim's life. A quick pop into the future, a quick save to the library of the auto-descendants, closing the game without saving and adding the new future family sims into the current day timeline (creating the family tree with NRaas, of course) and voila a fleshed-out family tree made from actual related Sims (although in a new family role).
  • movefan89movefan89 Posts: 60 Member
    Into the Future
    ITF, just dont really use it much.
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    Generations
    mw1525 wrote: »
    To be honest, I never play with any of the packs in the 'suggested' way.

Bingo ... We Have A Winner ... <3

One of the things I have liked the most in my years of playing Sims 3 ...
    Is that the "Suggestions" for the most part are completely irrelevant.

There are far more "Opportunities" in everything than the game ever suggests.
    There are billions of examples of what your Sim can access and do in Sims 3 ... Too many to list ... :D

Happy Simming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2pJVi6RnKc

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • KeiomestreKeiomestre Posts: 195 Member
    Showtime
    Out of curiosity, I noticed percentagewise 'Showtime' and 'Into The Future' make up over half of the 'Least Essential' list. I'm just curious as to what it is about these two packs which turns so many Simmers off?

Showtime has SimPort. From what I have read, it locks content behind a semi-online feature in a single-player game, which is unacceptable for me. So unless someday I really want that domino table, I don’t know if I will ever buy this one.
    ..... ..... ..... ..... My favorite Sims 3 family: THE ENFADONHOS!..... ..... ..... .....
    Vgfhu74.jpg
    Generations
    @BlackSand - Yep, there are literally an unlimited number of ways to play this game. The only restrictions are personal time, imagination and computer capabilities - beyond that, the sky's the limit :).

@Keiomestre - Being that I am a player who believes people should get the entirety of the content which they paid for without having to meet 'additional' requirements. I fully understand your reason for not wanting to buy Showtime. Personally, I have neither the time nor the desire to 'SimPort' which is why I use this mod in its place. If you use mods in your game, you may want to give it a try.

Simport Rewards Unlocked:
    https://modthesims.info/d/470934/simport-rewards-unlocked.html
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Supernatural
    I dont play occults and dont care about build/buy.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    Into the Future
    I like all expansion packs, but I must admit I haven't installed Into the Future, Supernatural, University Life and Island Paradise in years.
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    Island Paradise
    Difficult question. I had to weigh the question between Showtime, Pets and Island Paradise. I haven't used any of the worlds that came with these expansions yet (only tried out Starlight Shores for a few hours). Showtime and Island Paradise come with some of my favorite clothes though. I find Showtime the most disruptive for the game (all Bridgeport bar mixologists etc. are forced into those Showtime careers and wear those clothes on their jobs). I never play those careers, but I've made use of a genie once in a while. While I like pets in real life, I'm not fond of them in the game. Pets' saving grace is its synergy with Supernatural, and boy has it a lot of objects that aren't pet-related with several complete furniture sets, for example. Regarding Island Paradise, I simply don't use anything from it, aside from the occasional windsurfing during university stays and the clothes.

The poll winner ITF is not on my shortlist for cancellation. It comes with lots of furniture sets, the soil rugs and transparent roof rugs that I pretty much always use in worlds with autumn and winter, or cafeteria lots. While my families don't travel to the world very often, I have great memories of family stays there. I also use a plumbot for automatic gardening if the family doesn't need the skill, and I usually produce those in Oasis Landing. The elevator tubes also have their uses once in a while.
  • movefan89movefan89 Posts: 60 Member
    Into the Future
    I said into the future but I sometimes use the hair styles for the guys and girls. If I had a second choice it would be worlds adventures, I’ve never used the holiday features because I thought it was broken still. But that was years ago they may have fixed it now.
  • KeiomestreKeiomestre Posts: 195 Member
    Showtime
    @Keiomestre - Being that I am a player who believes people should get the entirety of the content which they paid for without having to meet 'additional' requirements. I fully understand your reason for not wanting to buy Showtime. Personally, I have neither the time nor the desire to 'SimPort' which is why I use this mod in its place. If you use mods in your game, you may want to give it a try.

Simport Rewards Unlocked:
    https://modthesims.info/d/470934/simport-rewards-unlocked.html

Thank you! I will have this mod bookmarked here.
    ..... ..... ..... ..... My favorite Sims 3 family: THE ENFADONHOS!..... ..... ..... .....
    Vgfhu74.jpg
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    Island Paradise
    movefan89 wrote: »
    If I had a second choice it would be worlds adventures, I’ve never used the holiday features because I thought it was broken still. But that was years ago they may have fixed it now.
    Stuff was still broken for me without mods, like someone getting two babies and one of them be made a homeless baby in China, plus other unpleasant surprises, but NRaas Traveler fixed all of that for me. And I use WA a lot in my games.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Into the Future
    The only thing I ever use from Into the Future is the garden rug that lets you grow plants on it. That's not an opinion on the pack though. I think it has a lot of great stuff in it -- just stuff that doesn't fit my gameplay style.
  • pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member
    Into the Future
    I chose Into the Future because it's currently the only expansion pack that I don't have installed right now. It was cool to play around with when it first came out, but it is just not essential to my play style. Though I'm sure I'll mess around with it again someday!

My second choice would be Supernatural, since I do not care in the slightest about occult sims. But, I do love Moonlight Falls and there are plenty of build/buy mode items from Supernatural that I regularly use, so it wins out over Into the Future!
  • paladinx333paladinx333 Posts: 11 New Member
    Supernatural
    I didn't care for supernatural stuff in Sims 2, so I won't be adding to my Sims 3.
  • NitroglycolNitroglycol Posts: 121 Member
    Of the ones I have installed it would have to be Seasons. I actually like it but am bothered by how much my game has slowed down since installing it. I had Pets installed briefly but it made my game unplayable.

Of the three I don't have (IP, Supernatural, and ITF) the only one I'd have much interest in is IP, but from what I hear it also is very bad for playability.
  • KNORearKNORear Posts: 522 Member
    Into the Future

I marked ITF because it is so inessential that I don’t own the pack. It just doesn’t appeal to me what-so-ever . I wish I could still get a hold of that dip kiss interaction another way though lol .

As for packs I do own , probably university since I rarely send my sims to college, nor do I get involved with the social groups much . About the only reason I have it is because I love the CASt items and some of the furniture it comes with .

• emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    Into the Future
    This was a toss up between Supernatural and ITF for me. I waited the LONGEST time to add Supernatural to my game because put simply: I'm not a fan of Supernaturals. :confused: Or playing them. (There's something about Sims 3 werewolves faces and antics that drive me up the wall! :grimace: ) I just prefer more realism in my gameplay and in my Sims stories. However.....I knew there would be a time where I would occasionally want a Supernatural sim (and because the items from that EP are RAD and are used in just about every custom build!) to play with and add to a story so I finally added it to my game. :)

I still have yet to add ITF, which is why I have deemed it the least essential for me. Which is funny because I really am a big Sci-Fi girl. :p
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    Showtime
    For me it's showtime. The only reason it wasn't late night is because it has a wide variety of function objects I can use to make my towns interesting.

But I've never used the careers, and the features have just never worked.

The game announces a concert is gonna happen and my whole sim family shows up to an empty stage. After a few times of this happening I just quit paying it any mind.
    The pack overall is just buggy and frustrating. The only reason I keep it installed at all is I enjoy the stage props, and there are a couple items that are fun.
    But honestly if this pack disappeared from my plays I don't think I'd notice at all.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
    Generations
    @KNORear - Since the pack isn't one which interests you I can understand your choice. However, I was wondering what people who had purchased the pack found so dislike-able about it.

@emorrill - Boy-oh-boy do I understand about Supernatural! I also prefer a realistic-type of game play. Everything in my game has to make some sort of sense to me while being, for lack of a better word, balanced. It took me a very long time to 'find' a place for my natural occult born/created Sims which sort-of fit in with my game play.
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,969 Member
    Showtime
    I don’t really bother with Showtime either. I’m similar to @Nikkei_Simmer in that I like the banana tree but that’s about it.

I do like ITF, as I find Plumbots useful. I don’t spend much time in the future when I send my Sims there.

Even if I don’t use the gameplay features of an expansion pack much, I like having the extra CAS and build/buy items.