Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For those of you who don't use mods, why?

13...Next

Comments

• IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    As many have said, one reason I don't use mods is the many updates we are getting with the game. If all my sims suddenly turned purple I'd be freaking out, and probably wouldn't think it was a mod that did it. I don't want to be bothered with checking them, updating them, and (gasp) holding off on playing till something was updated.

More importantly, I know myself. My mods and CC folders would grow to gargantuan proportions and would be a gigantic mess. I'd look at a new pair of CC earrings and download them while ignoring the 19,000 other earrings I already had. Same thing for mods. It would slow down my game and I'm already fighting lagging screens.

So. Even though I am sometimes tempted, I say no. I am happy playing vanilla; after all, I don't really know what I am missing, right? :)
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I'm now glad that my PC won't accept any mods for my games. Now that I know that there's problems with mods having viruses & for others the need to take them out of the game every single time there's an update or patch. No thank you.
    I'm quite happy with my vanilla, my 50 packs/kits along with my many cheats. :p;)B)

@SERVERFRA Just wanted to make sure that you do understand that mods don't have viruses.

Now if you go off and look around you might find a mod that's hosted on a site with sketchy ads that have viruses. But that can happen when you're out looking for how to fix a glitch in your game without the use of mods.

And if you stick with reputable sites such as MTS and reputable creators on Tumblr or Discord, then there's no risk of viruses.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I've been using mods in the Sims games since the days of the Sims 2 and have never encountered a virus.
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    I used to use mods in version 2 of the game, but I haven't found any reason to really use them now, especially with having to find and download them all again after the game updates? That sounds like a lot of work, I'm not super into it.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • NaomiSImblrNaomiSImblr Posts: 158 Member
    edited May 2022
    For all of those newbies with mods try it you won’t regret it I have a really low end pc it’s 6 years old at least I have 90% of all sims packs, I have some cc small amount I.e eyelashes/skin and 2/3 clothing items but I have some core mods which once you play with I could not play without mods such as

MC command centre
    Ui cheats extension
    Meaningful stories
    Better aspirations

I have some basic tuning mods such as gain hygiene when swimming/ no blurriness when bathing/nude etc that don’t really need updating regularly

But literally if you use just core mods mainly like I do simple as your game is updating and loading to turn on script mods and restart just load the bookmarks of the core mods and update they are updated pretty much straight away and don’t always need updating

Yes there is some slight lag but I have an old laptop but not enough difference between when there not installed to make me not play and I have settings on high and it runs well
  • Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    edited May 2022
    This is interesting to me.
    I do use mods, but would prefer not to, and I use very little cc. I started playing Sims 4 two years ago and only started putting mods in a few months ago. I tried, I really tried to go without..

I mostly assumed people (pc players) who didn't use mods were either afraid of them, didn't know how to use them, or like me just found updating things too much of a pain in the butt. I never imagined :o there were people that are just fine with the game the way it is, lol! I guess there are just too many things I want altered in the game that it is hard to imagine others don't. Obviously different play styles have a big effect.

If it wasn't for the updates, I would use 100s of mods. But cc, meh, other than hair which is MUST for me I only use clutter and some overlays. I am always surprised when people have massive cc folders. I feel like the game has loads of clothing and furniture already..

It's interesting how The Sims can be a completely different game with so much variance amongst players. You could probably look at 10 different players and see 10 completely differing needs for their game to feel complete.
    Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited May 2022
    As others have said, it's mostly a matter of issues with supported games and need.

I waited to use any with Sims 2 until after the game was no longer supported by EA to avoid issues with updates and conflicts. With 3 I never needed anything after support was dropped (and I no longer play it). And with 4, I only have two things (because the game is still being supported and updated) and one of those I wouldn't have if I could avoid it. The other has no conflicts.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    I don't use mods, because it seems such a hassle when new updates come for the base game and the mods break.

But I did once try out both a fairly simple cosmetics mod, which ended up annoying me with the hairs having no movement, as well as the red shelf one for better building. I liked the latter, but then changed platform and forgot to reinstall it. Since I reasoned that I didn't miss it much, I haven't looked it up again.
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Using mods is time consuming. I prefer to divide my free time between playing and building. Since Sims 2 I enjoyed my vanilla game. It's the style of play I enjoy. But I understand why people enjoy mods and cc ;)
  • ItsMeThatGuyItsMeThatGuy Posts: 305 Member
    edited May 2022
    Mods have risk of virus! Be cautious! And be safe!

This is untrue.

Mod and CC files for Sims 4 are not executable files and it is therefore impossible for them to carry a virus.

Where the danger lies is that there are some websites that seem to provide mods that are in fact distributing malicious files to the unwary or using download sites that also can offer some dodgy links.

The main mods such as MCCC are direct downloads from the mod creators website. There are other modders here who also offer direct downloads either themselves or through trustworthy third party download sites such as Patreon, Google Drive, etc

It is also true that modding your game does require some technical expertise, though nothing beyond understanding what a zip file is and how to copy files between folders on your computer.

If in doubt about a website, it would make sense to ask here for an opinion.

I know they are not exe files. It's just you need to be careful when downloading them from malicious websites. I do use mods but I'm downloading them from places like Mod the Sims.
    I am NOT part of anything in EA and I'm just a player. I try my best to answer questions in the Sims forums, and showing info about the Sims, even posting answers and thoughts of feedback! I have been playing the Sims 4 for 2 years.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I don't use mods because they update the game usually once per month, sometimes twice and I really can't be bothered to go through a pile of mods and update them that much. There are a lot that do look really interesting to me though and I'll definitely try them once they stop supporting TS4.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 995 Member
    Though I've been tempted a few times to get certain mods I am doing OK with a few cheats every so often and just didn't want the hassle of having to get updates every time there was a patch. Perhaps because I had so many issues with Sims 3 which made me hesitate. But I do recall that when Sims 4 was in the works I did try out all the mods and cc in the Sims 3 game and always thought I'd do more of this when and if they ever announce the end of Sims 4.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I rarely use mods unless it’s really important and detailed (like many of the Sims 3’s NRAAS mods or Sims 2’s mods that deal with corruption issues, etc).

I sometimes add in CC, but I usually avoid mods. The only thing in Sims 4 that I really used mods for were for supernatural/occult stuff that aren’t in the game yet.

Reasons why I don’t like using mods: 1) I usually like the vanilla gameplay; 2) I don’t like updating mods or mods interfering; and 3) sometimes mods can cause issues with the vanilla game stuff especially after patches or interfering with other mods.

I just usually don’t want the hassle.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    edited May 2022
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Oh and not using mods and cc its also much easier to share things in gallery so thats another reason I don't really get into them in ts4 as much

That's actually a really, really good point.
    Even many of those of us who do use a ton of mods and CC disable it all when we are going to make something to share on the gallery.

I was trying to share a lot I built. I thought I had replaced the cc objects but kept getting the mods used warning. Finally dawned on me the wood flooring was cc! :open_mouth: It was the perfect choice for the style of the build, but I found what was a suitable replacement from the game assortment. Now, I find myself reluctant to use cc when building, even if I'm just building for myself. I never know when I might share something. Gah! I never thought to disable the mods/cc, however. Great idea!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I have used CC in the past, but generally I like to share my builds to the gallery so I stopped using them. I don't use mods because I don't want to have to update them every time the game updates. I seldom actually play the game, mostly I just build, so I don't care to add features not already in the game.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I have used CC in the past, but generally I like to share my builds to the gallery so I stopped using them. I don't use mods because I don't want to have to update them every time the game updates. I seldom actually play the game, mostly I just build, so I don't care to add features not already in the game.

Two reasons I am not using CC specifically:
    1. In Sims 3 CC screwed my game up so horribly you had to download a special program designed to track down and delete broken CC...
    2. Quite frankly the amount of Sims on the Gallery that claims to be CC free but are full of CC is so annoying that being angry at those lying (why DO that??) makes me boycott the whole idea. Childish? Probably.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • JokubasJokubas Posts: 100 Member
    edited May 2022
    So many reasons, I'm not sure if I will remember them all. For the record, this applies to pretty much every game for me, not just the Sims.

*Quality
    Most mods just aren't going to be very good. Even mods that look good can turn out to have glaring issues. I don't feel like sorting through that, and I've often found that recommended mods don't live up to their reputation.

*Consistency
    Anything that obviously wasn't a part of the base game is going to take me out of the experience. For instance, I'm not entirely fond of the art style in the Sims 4, but unless a mod is going to overhaul every art asset, I'm going to hate a mod that doesn't fit in visually.

*Bugs
    There are enough bugs without adding on top of them. Last thing I want is to realize I've permanently ruined a save several hours in because of a mod that had some unforeseen interaction.

*Updates
    In a lot of games, updates will break mods, and then you have to wait for the mods to update. Sometimes the mods never get updated again and you have to choose between an older version of the base game or never using the mod again (assuming you even have the former choice). Since updates to a base game are usually positive and tend to include bug fixing, I'd rather not have to even bother with the choice.

In general, I am pro mods. I believe in the players having that freedom, but there are too many things that make me personally avoid them pretty much on principle nowadays (I used to be pretty into mods). Although, the one sort of meta honorable mention I will say is that I don't like games using mods as a crutch. I don't blame anyone for using a mod to correct a flaw in the base game, but I do fault the suggestion that the base game should never fix it just because a mod already exists. It just seems like a weird encouragement for the developers to be sloppy.
  • Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    ... Quite frankly the amount of Sims on the Gallery that claims to be CC free but are full of CC is so annoying that being angry at those lying (why DO that??) makes me boycott the whole idea. Childish? Probably.

Wait, what!? I have never heard of this. How would they even do that. So far as I can tell, the game automatically tags any builds with cc on the gallery without a way to remove the tag.

Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |