Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For those of you who don't use mods, why?

Just genuinely curious, why don't you guys use mods? I'd like to hear your opinions/thoughts about it.

Comments

• Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I depends on what platform you play the game on.
    Consoles like the PS4 don't allow modding in the game at all, so most people who play on that are reliant on the pack for the most part.
    PC you can mod the game, and make it how you want.
    I own most of the game for my PS4, because my PC can only really handle the base game with some mods I did put on it.
    I have an older computer, and although it can handle the mods for the most part, I can't too crazy with them.
    For my PS4, I am limited to the packs I own in order to create what I want. It makes you think outside a box a bit, and limits quite a bit.
  • Cary1213Cary1213 Posts: 91 Member
    I've been playing the game since the first The Sims and I've always had fun without mods. The reason is I never new they existed until the third game and even when I found out about them they just never interested me.
    SvgJRlK.png
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,967 Member
    edited April 2022
    I don’t use mods for a few reason. 1. being I am older and am no computer techie, I’m afraid I will mess something up using mods and CC. In other games one of my daughters used to install the CC, so, I never really learned how to do it. Is it as simple as buying through origin and loading the game packs? 2. I don’t want to have to worry about updating mods every time we have an update. I’m curious, do you have to update CC too? 3. If I have a bug, I want to know it is not something I downloaded from a source other than game/pack/patch related. 4. I think many of the things people download mods for should already be in the sims game, and we should not have to depend on mods for it. 5. If I used mods and CC I would spend all my time looking for them rather than playing the game, and I would be overflowing with both mods and CC, as it is I already own all of the packs, and spend a lot of time making people or building, or changing already made builds.
  • ItsMeThatGuyItsMeThatGuy Posts: 305 Member
    Mods have risk of virus! Be cautious! And be safe!
    I am NOT part of anything in EA and I'm just a player. I try my best to answer questions in the Sims forums, and showing info about the Sims, even posting answers and thoughts of feedback! I have been playing the Sims 4 for 2 years.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    Haven't needed them personally to enjoy my game. Though once 4 is complete I may consider a few I have seen. Same as I did with Sims3 & 2.
    Just my personal preference. Although I will admit to using one once to complete a rocket ship. Then removed it.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    edited April 2022
    Mods have risk of virus! Be cautious! And be safe!

This has been answered better than what I had to say, but rest assured, millions of happy modders are the proof. The biggest challenge modders face is having to update them every time there's a game patch for Sims4, and learning which mods conflict with each other, and which are or are not working or up to date, and keeping them up to date.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited April 2022
    I don't need or want mods in my game.
    There is not even a single reason for me to use mods, because the game works fine for me as it is. I don't have many bugs in my game and I also have more than enough things to do. I like my vanilla game. :)
    Post edited by Kimmer on
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited April 2022
    I have a couple of reasons why I was completely vanilla for the longest time:
    • I don't want to worry about updating my mods
    • I prefer to play the original game and handle the bugs my way
    • I haven't found a mod that would feel necessity to me
    Although with that said I did get map replacements just recently. I'm not super worried about updating, because I can just as well play without them and it wont affect my gameplay. They're not a necessity, but I always disliked how the maps looked so they make me happy.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I had a lot of cc and a couple of mods early on but the upkeep with every game update ended up being not so much fun with playing find the broken cc. I started to lessen the amount of cc I had until I just never put it back in after an update. My game ran great with out the mods! I ended up putting MCCC back in recently to cheat something and my game is not running so well, could be coincidental. I miss a couple of cc things and I do like some of the things MCCC can do but...

Long story short, it was too much work keeping it all updated.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I didn't use mods until I started my decades challenge and that was because I wanted things in game that reflected the times.

Aside from that I really don't use them. I think there are some great modders out there that have definitely improved the game. The reason I don't really use them has more to do with what my computer can handle. I can only speak for myself as in the past when I used mods and CC it would slow my game down, then after having to update the game several times going back and trying to find mod updates just got tiring. With all the recent updates it's one reason I haven't played my decades challenge because I just haven't gotten around to updating or seeing if there's updates for the ones I'm using.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited April 2022
    I don’t use a lot of mods. Depends what they are really. I don’t need them but some do enhance things.
    I don’t download mods that alter the game, change settings or population etc. I like things as they are.

TS2 - I was not computer skilled yet. (I added a few clothing and objects later on though.)

TS3 - I downloaded hairs, make up, skin tones, furniture, different colours of wallpaper, plants, cars etc. The amount of stuff I bought from the store along with all the CC I was amazed my computer ran! 😂

TS4 - I just get some furniture sets that appeal as I build more.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2022
    I think there are mod users and Mod Users!!!!!. I consider myself a mild and cautious mod user. I see where some people have so many mods that the game doesn't much resemble The Sims and is really a totally different game. That's fine, but I haven't got the patience to keep that much modification updated and functioning, and I really do want the game to be representative of the original intent. I only use mods to change things that are preventing me from telling my story my way, and nothing else. The same with CC. I only add what I need and don't load up on things just because they're pretty.

As a result, it's not much of a big deal for me when a patch or update comes through, since my mod/cc folder is so light.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,855 Member
    Haven't gotten around to it yet.
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    With sims 1 and sims 2 I had so much mods and cc and loved it, but when sims 3 came along my game just seemed buggy with them, I had endless problems until I went vanilla. With sims 4 I make my own cc and mods so that I know when they break and I can attempt to fix them. I know what I put in my game because its mine. I do however have ONE mod that is not mine and its the most beautiful one ever its Purplebex's baby skintones <3
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I have downloaded a lot of fun mods this year and great cc and have collected some I haven't tried yet like some new occult ones, I really love all the food mods and clothing/hair CC, but it made my game run a bit laggy and created some bugs/conflicts and it was getting tiring trying to figure out which ones were conflicting, creating problems, why some Sims had the dreaded question mark tattoos or bizarre CC outfits, and stressful finding which mods/CC needed updates, so I removed them. I've always played vanilla anyway so I don't mind. I'm just happy the game runs faster and more smoothly on my computer this way.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    The only mod I use is one I'm not allowed to talk about. Let's just say it's not one of the usual ones talked about here, and it adds some comedic moments to my gameplay.

But as far as the mainstream ones go, I simply have no need for them. I'm not a nitpicky type of player where everything has to be micromanaged to perfection, I really have no problem with the game as it is
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited May 2022
    I've heard too many nightmare stories about mods crashing games, corrupting game files, etc... and I've had similar experiences myself in the past (especially with Sims 2 and Sims 3). When I do use mods, it's very rarely... and it's usually hairstyles or clothes. Not gameplay mods.

Also, EA/Maxis should be the ones providing us the content we want... not a 3rd party doing it for free. It's truly sad how we need to rely on people, who aren't even being paid, to fix games. Especially when these games cost us hundreds upon hundreds of dollars to begin with.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,949 Member
    edited May 2022
    I used to (as habit left from ts3 days i overused them greatly) but I stopped using them when I started this save because

1. tbh I was just too lazy to keep track of mods and cc folders and things would get broken all the time

2. many of my saves got broken beyond repair because of point 1 and I wanted to lessen the chance of that happening to my current save since i wanted to make it longer one for once so i started it mod free
    and I am keeping it that way and yes this has indeed been my longest save yet

3. When I used to add mods to my game I found myself overusing them instead of playing with game as whole or finding in game way to do the thing

for example say i added mod for killing sims in more interesting ways all i would do is just kill sims constantly because i would always be like "Ha I could use death in this story too since i now have it and i shall use it" which tbh got kinda depressing real fast :sweat_smile:

4. due to point 3 having dropped mods I found my stories would become more creative as I didn't hang onto the specific new gameplay thing anymore but tried to actually dig what all game has to play with without me adding anything to it and i also get to play with things i had ignored for ages

5. I just want to see game as what it is for now and i feel like mods and cc interfere with it for me

also as for cc I just don't really have the actual need anymore so much with all these packs to use

I do always wish for more alternative wear and occult gear so i do sometimes look at cc like that and curse myself being stubborn about keeping my game vanilla but thats really about it for cc

Oh and not using mods and cc its also much easier to share things in gallery so thats another reason I don't really get into them in ts4 as much
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I do use mods...a LOT of mods. But even I can see there's a good reason not to use them. It's kind of a pain in the butt every time the game gets updated.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    They are a pain in the butt to maintain and curate, namely. When I was younger and less tech savvy I was also terrified of malware (although still good to be cautious, I dig around in game files on the regular now so I have a fair idea of what they should look like).

4 is the first Sims gen I could even need mods to keep me engaged and even then my issues would require more of a commitment to fix and maintain than I am willing to put in (I did give it a shot, by the way, and then went back to vanilla). Origin really needs a mod equivalent of the Steam workshop or Paradox's curation. It makes using mods and CC so much more accessible and seamless.

For the record, I do and have modded other games. Rarely extensively, mind you. Usually consoles commands or file edits can do all I could ever really want for the game I am playing. Compatibility mods are a bit of an exception, but I don't typically need a lot (especially when you can brute force some files). Anyway, it just isn't worth it for me.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Most mods does not do anything I want or need, it's that simple. The only mod I use is MCCC for obvious reasons and that one is hopefully able t be phased out when story telling gets better.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Most mods does not do anything I want or need, it's that simple. The only mod I use is MCCC for obvious reasons and that one is hopefully able t be phased out when story telling gets better.

Why hopefully?

Modding is a playstyle in its own right. As the developers add stuff - modders work out how to modify it :grin:
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • hely0thely0t Posts: 345 Member
    Simply this: I see no point in them for me, so I don't want to use them. To me it's tampering with the games in unnecessary ways that then gives them an "unclean" feeling. I'm also very particular about having some random rubbish cluttering my laptop. The only thing I do use for any game is PetzA for Petz 4&5, only because it is actually convenient for me when playing those games as I do, and I've been using PetzA for well over a decade so now it goes hand-in-hand with the games.
    "You've got a face, I've got a face, it's all gonna be alright." - Noel Fielding
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

Why hopefully?

Modding is a playstyle in its own right. As the developers add stuff - modders work out how to modify it :grin:

That's already been addressed above by someone else, there is a difference between people who use mods, and people who Play With Mods (tm). I use mods just like I use mods in say Bethesda games: To streamline a few things, improve a few things and workaround bugs. But a lot of say Fallout and Skyrim players are just like the avid Mod users here, the whole "purpose" of the game for them is to mod it as much as possible so yu you can barely recognize it. I never use any CC for example, just like i don't use "improved" character models for Fallout.

That is not wrong, at all, but that is a completely different way to use mods.

I only use MCCC because there was no storytelling. That's it. I also always run with Testingcheats True so I can shift-click and reset bugged sims and say auto-repair townie Servos.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek