Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Morale is Rock Bottom? How do you feel about the state of the Sims

Comments

• SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 814 Member
    My morale is low. It's going to take significant work by EA and The Sims to get me satisfied and trusting the team again
    I am not looking forward to The Sims 5. That is why I'm sticking with The Sims 3 as there is still a lot I want to get done (I have an idea for a World based on one of the Golden Triangle villages) plus I want to get the Badges.
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 271 Member
    My morale is low. It's going to take significant work by EA and The Sims to get me satisfied and trusting the team again
    Clothing kits, decoration kits and a shallow pack every now and then doesn't really hold my interest. The last pack I bought was Paranormal. Can't remember when I last updated. The new content is just not interesting when your Sims remains without some deeper personality (family interactions, romantic interactions and personal quirks/traits that really defines them).

I'm willing to give Sims 5 a chance (and a thorough scan of all it's content), but I will not buy anything until I can see for sure what it will offer and what direction it will be going in. I'll not waste all my money on a slightly better-looking Sims 4 copy (with even less features than Sims 4 possibly, but even more fancy clothes and colorful walls that looks good but offers no gameplay).

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Clothing kits, decoration kits and a shallow pack every now and then doesn't really hold my interest. The last pack I bought was Paranormal. Can't remember when I last updated. The new content is just not interesting when your Sims remains without some deeper personality (family interactions, romantic interactions and personal quirks/traits that really defines them).

I'm willing to give Sims 5 a chance (and a thorough scan of all it's content), but I will not buy anything until I can see for sure what it will offer and what direction it will be going in. I'll not waste all my money on a slightly better-looking Sims 4 copy (with even less features than Sims 4 possibly, but even more fancy clothes and colorful walls that looks good but offers no gameplay).

How many EPs does TS4 even have now? I never even brought the base game but remember hearing a lot about these 'empty packs' a few years ago. The game is almost 8 years old yet the complaints are exactly the same as they where years ago
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member

How many EPs does TS4 even have now? I never even brought the base game but remember hearing a lot about these 'empty packs' a few years ago. The game is almost 8 years old yet the complaints are exactly the same as they where years ago

11 EPs, 11 GPs, 18 SPs, 11 Kits.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464

But yes, a lot of the complaints from the base game are still present. Sims 4's biggest problem is that the Sims 3 and 2 exist.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I'm very happy and satisfied with the state of The Sims, though I have some minor concerns
    EA is still interested in the Unreal Engine. See the advertisement from 4 months ago. It doesn't say what game, probably something their game programmers could use maybe.

https://gamejobs.co/Senior-Software-Engineer-Unreal-Engine-at-Electronic-Arts?msclkid=dc850288b8e011ec8948efc809369778
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    My morale is rock bottom. I'm continually disappointed, and I question if things will improve

All that output, but what have we gained other than a few additional worlds and more trinkets to use? Is the game fundamentally richer and deeper? Are the sims themselves more interesting and diverse in regards to personality and behaviour? Has actual gameplay been increased? It seems as though our original small cake has simply had more and more layers of fancy frosting added.
    edited April 2022

All that output, but what have we gained other than a few additional worlds and more trinkets to use? Is the game fundamentally richer and deeper? Are the sims themselves more interesting and diverse in regards to personality and behaviour? Has actual gameplay been increased? It seems as though our original small cake has simply had more and more layers of fancy frosting added.

Yep. "Lipstick on a pig" has been used to describe the Sims 4. The base game engine is problematic which is why I don't have confidence that it will be fixed.

This is also the same reason why I'm surprised that you voted in my poll that you want the Sims 4 to last much longer (2026+). For me, I have to give EA another shot at making a new game engine from scratch. You're right, there is much to be concerned about; it could be worse than the Sims 4 base game or be multiplayer. But for me, the problems with the Sims 4 are never going to go away no matter how many years of new packs and updates we will get.

So I'm all for a fresh start with Sims 5. If Sims 5 is as bad or worse, I'll just keep sticking to Sims 1-3 like I currently am. Or try out Paralives and Rod Humble's upcoming game.
    edited April 2022
    Simburian wrote: »
    EA is still interested in the Unreal Engine. See the advertisement from 4 months ago. It doesn't say what game, probably something their game programmers could use maybe.

https://gamejobs.co/Senior-Software-Engineer-Unreal-Engine-at-Electronic-Arts?msclkid=dc850288b8e011ec8948efc809369778

We know it's being prototyped in Unreal Engine 5. Mass Effect 5 by EA is also being prototyped in UE5.

Will the actual game engines be in UE5, too? We have no idea. I sure hope so.

ETA: I took a closer look at the job description. That's very promising. Hopefully an institutional priority for EA?
    My morale is rock bottom. I'm continually disappointed, and I question if things will improve
    Yep. "Lipstick on a pig" has been used to describe the Sims 4. The base game engine is problematic which is why I don't have confidence that it will be fixed.

This is also the same reason why I'm surprised that you voted in my poll that you want the Sims 4 to last much longer (2026+). For me, I have to give EA another shot at making a new game engine from scratch. You're right, there is much to be concerned about; it could be worse than the Sims 4 base game or be multiplayer. But for me, the problems with the Sims 4 are never going to go away no matter how many years of new packs and updates we will get.

So I'm all for a fresh start with Sims 5. If Sims 5 is as bad or worse, I'll just keep sticking to Sims 1-3 like I currently am. Or try out Paralives and Rod Humble's upcoming game.

It's not so much wanting as resignation. I never got into TS3. My TS1 was on a long dead machine but I do have the disks and a machine old enough to run it, provided I want to play it enough to endure installation misery. Both TS2 installations (this machine and said old one) are in dire need of extensive overhaul. That leaves TS4 for active Simming at present. The installation on this machine stops at University and has not seen Origin in years. Thus, it if free of the bugs and glitches that make a more current version unplayable. So, unless I want to do a lot of repair work a long lived TS4 is of necessity. Given EA's track record, I highly doubt TS5 will be even as 'good' as 4, let alone better. At my age am willing to be grateful for what I have, not hope for unbaked pie in the sky.

• SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    I'm very happy and satisfied with the state of The Sims, though I have some minor concerns
    So long as I can still actually play the games without many bugs, I'm happy. Of course, there is always some frustrating gameplay features I complain about in all Sims games but nothing that would make me stop playing the games. And since I alternate between them all, I never get bored of playing the Sims.
    So long as I can still actually play the games without many bugs, I'm happy. Of course, there is always some frustrating gameplay features I complain about in all Sims games but nothing that would make me stop playing the games. And since I alternate between them all, I never get bored of playing the Sims.

True, I just wish it was easier to play the earlier generations. Of course, it's against EA's interest to make it easy to buy and play the previous Sims games as it would cannibalize their profits.
  • MkinsMkins Posts: 79 Member
    edited April 2022
    I feel "meh" right now. I'm neither dissatisfied or satisfied with The Sims franchise
    I'm fine with things and have faith things will improve as long as we are open and honest and don't sugarcoat issues or be extremely rude and threatening either. The tide is changing and interests are shifting to the good old days for many gamers and the companies seem to have noticed this finally.

Looking back on the Sims 3 though I feel 4 could be hugely improved if they added the little things that made Sims 3 amazing. For me Generations was the one that struck hardest and I have the best memories of, especially prom night and driving lessons. I also wish since open worlds are not possible they could at least open the lots around your home so you see Sims across from you living their life.

Other than that and some more occult stuff, I'm chill about it all but the bugs have to be dealt with without breaking other things too. That is one thing I am not happy with.

True, I just wish it was easier to play the earlier generations. Of course, it's against EA's interest to make it easy to buy and play the previous Sims games as it would cannibalize their profits.

Not to mention expose the current version for the dreadfully buggy third-rate lash-up it is. It's hard to know the glories of Shakespeare or Jane Austen if all one reads is comic books.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I play older sims games and I see an AI that makes sense, where the sims behave in ways according to traits rather than emotions. I see emotions play a role in how they react to things, but traits temper those reactions. I see sims who get angry at another sim, but are only angry with that sim -- they don't turn around and just be mad at everyone and everything. I see sims who actually behave differently from one another, and it makes them seem more individual.

Sims 4 has a more modern engine, it should also be able to come up with an AI that feels like more than reactions to emotions. But it can't. The game is quite old at this point, but since it seems to be a cash cow, I don't see them starting a new game any time soon. This discourages me because again, the AI in the Sims 4 just is not that good when compared to previous games.
  • bookwormsimmer25bookwormsimmer25 Posts: 24 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    where the sims behave in ways according to traits rather than emotions.

This actually makes sense in the real life too.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Unless they're planning on reworking the entirety of TS4, I'd say they should just cut their losses and move on already. Sure, I'll be disappointed in the lack of any more occult gameplay, but at this stage, people like myself who love that kind of gameplay are getting crumbs so why bother holding out hope we'll be heard now? Might as well go into the next game and hope that they give occult simmers a fair shake.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Tinf0iITinf0iI Posts: 115 Member
    sims 4 has been a soulless, corporate shell of a game from launch. i didn't expect it to get any better, and was still disappointed. i can't believe i ever sunk money into that blatant cash grab. the only thing sims 4 did right was create a sim. unless ea plans on reverting to a more sims 3-esque game for sims 5, i'll be keeping my wallet closed.
    giphy.gif
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited April 2022
    I feel "meh" right now. I'm neither dissatisfied or satisfied with The Sims franchise
    Morale is ok, mainly because they added story progression which was a MUST but yea, still needs a bit more work but yea. Slowly gettin there. :O
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    To be honest, I moved back to Sims 3, and I'm having a lot of fun with it, it has a lot of gameplay and creative options, to name a few it has create style, create world, open world, is an awesome game
  • shinshinshinshin Posts: 6 New Member
    i want to love the sims right now but i'm not very happy with it right now. mods are cool at least
  • 2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    To be honest I was done with the sims 4 a while ago, it’s been so long now without a new release! Bring on the Sims 5! Hope we get some proper information soon.
    My origin id is sim2011
  • RainafallRainafall Posts: 2 New Member
    I have always loved sims. The new packs are not amazing. For example the Dream Decorator pack has one wallpaper. ONE WALLPAPER for a decoration pack?! That was a real let down. I expected more. Eco pack is OK. Wedding pack is ok but now my game is slow. Why can't I move the sims newborn into my chosen cot if they have the baby at the hospital. Why does the retail store work day not have the same rating system as the restaurant? Why can sims not heal cats as a vet if the house is equipped with vet gear as a cat hangout?
    Ugh. Annoying. But I love pretty much everything else.
    Also why can't sims drive?
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    Rainafall wrote: »
    I have always loved sims. The new packs are not amazing. For example the Dream Decorator pack has one wallpaper. ONE WALLPAPER for a decoration pack?! That was a real let down. I expected more.

This is why I haven’t purchased it. There’s four nice stone floorings and wallpapers… in the Star Wars pack! 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️.

I was very disappointed that the Industrial Loft kit came with one window. The window doesn’t match anything else. Three doors, one that stays open. Two big doors. There’s a nice living room and bedroom set but that doesn’t make it a loft. Just puzzling. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top