Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Still no Spiral Stairs?

While I understand that the various wall heights introduces a problem, I'm sure you can find a solution, guys. Come on, we need spiral stairs. At the very least, give us lift-tubes of various heights, so we have one for each wall height.

You could just stretch the stairs and add two additional climbing animations, one for each height. The difference would be minimal. Not all stairs in real-life have exactly the same incline either.
This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.

Comments

• Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    edited March 2022
    You have something similar in Sims 4 for PC. Ordinary stairs can be bend.

27_03_14.png

27_03_15.png

Post edited by BoergeAarg61 on
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    edited March 2022
    Nice, but it needs to be stackable and in a 2x2 area. For my builds anyway. I tried with ladders, but they can't be stacked, and the stairs end up 3x3.

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Eco Livestyle came with a different kind of stairs.

27_03_16.png

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Is it stackable? I have four floors and two basements to connect within a 2x2 space?

• Options
    No, but it can be made higher with an arrow at the top.
  • Options
    No, but it can be made higher with an arrow at the top.

Will they get off on the rights floors?

• Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I would love a spiral staircase too
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Spiral stairs are still missing in Sims 4 and they‘re something I often need in my builds. I always loved using spiral stairs in Sims 1 Sims 2 and Sims 3. Sims could even slide down the railings, my favorite feature!
    maxresdefault.jpg
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited April 2022
    In theory the custom height isn't a big problem, there are 2 options
    • The spiral staircase could be 3 fixed sizes with additional straight steps to adjust the height.
    • Or it could end with 1 tile where we would put a straight staircase in order to link it to the floor.

blog-i11.jpg15907511.jpg

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    • The spiral staircase could be 3 fixed sizes with additional straight steps to adjust the height.
    • Or it could end with 1 tile where we would put a straight staircase in order to link it to the floor.

blog-i11.jpg15907511.jpg

Wouldn't spiral stairs be same height as regular stairs but arranged in a spiral pattern? Why would we need those additional contraptions you mention?
  • Options
    edited April 2022

blog-i11.jpg15907511.jpg

Wouldn't spiral stairs be same height as regular stairs but arranged in a spiral pattern? Why would we need those additional contraptions you mention?

By default there are 3 wall heights but there is also a platform tool which can add more steps and lower the ground.

This is in case it's too difficult to make a dynamic animation that can handle custom heights.

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member

blog-i11.jpg15907511.jpg

By default there are 3 wall heights but there is also a platform tool which can add more steps and lower the ground.

This is in case it's too difficult to make a dynamic animation that can handle custom heights.

I see no reason why they couldn't behave like regular stairs and shrink or grow a number of steps if there is platform below. It's a uniform animation, in that a sim goes up or down a fixed distance with every step, just like with regular stairs.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    @crocobaura

Honestly I don't know what is the technical issue, Maxis didn't explain it.

Some apartments in San Myshuno need spiral stairs.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited April 2022
    I'm sure the reason why we don't have spiral stairs 8 years later is the same reason we don't have many basics their budget is trash and they can't be bothered to hire a decent sized team of animators to animate new features for this game. It's why we get endless kits and reused slightly altered content sold to us as "new"
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    @ChadSims2

I don't think because Maxis grew from Redwood Shores only to Austin, Canada and Europe.
    Many new people have joined the studio since 2019.

Of course it's possible that they keep their strength for bigger projects (Lost Astral and The Sims UE5).

If they work on TS4, we should begin to see the results in 2023 or 2024.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    @ChadSims2

I don't think because Maxis grew from Redwood Shores only to Austin, Canada and Europe.

A lot of new people joined the studio since 2019.
    So you assume all these people work on the Sims 4? And how many of these people spreading the globe create animations for the Sims 4 because besides kits the last year we got slow dancing and some farm animal interactions and a lot of reused content. Seriously they should put this global team of Sims 4 employees you speak of to work they could not even animate a dishwasher or a elevator and so much more.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited April 2022
    Yeah it‘s so annoying that they can‘t manage to add spiral stairs to Sims 4... we had them in every mainline series Sims game.
    I often build houses in Sims 4 and just think.... this is where a spiral stair would perfectly fit in. But we don‘t have them in Sims 4 yet.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    LIL_LillyLIL_Lilly Posts: 93 Member
    spiral staircases sounds nice, sliding down is even better hey even round stairs would be a nice addition. I have stairs irl so they mean alot to me. being able to put elevators anywhere not just in apartments/penthouses is on my wish list for sure
    Yes, I play big families in the sims. please add crawling babies and pre-teens, My mom played sims 1 and 2 now I play 4, its just family tradition at this point
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,333 EA Community Manager
    I just want you all to know - regardless of the topic I bring up spiral stairs for you all in every single meeting I'm in.

It's part of my Email signature as well.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    I just want you all to know - regardless of the topic I bring up spiral stairs for you all in every single meeting I'm in.

It's part of my Email signature as well.

Hey, thanks! If you don't mind then, I'd like to make a few suggestions for future discussions.

- If possible, I'd like them to be stackable, with each "landing" occuring in the same location for each floor. In the example below, the red and green dots in the bottom floor need to end at the same colored dots on the second. For a normal wall, 12 steps will be required to match the animation, for a medium, height wall, 16, and for a full height wall, 20. However, added heights should not push the landing further clockwise. The footprint should remain the same for all heights.

9JIREWF.png

- They should be configurable such that someone can adjust their circumference and whether to leave a hole in the middle, rather than a simple pole. For example...

- 2x2 with a pole
    - 3x3 with a one tile space in the middle (pole is then copied in the four cardinal directions)
    - 4x4 with a two tile space in the middle (pole is then copied in the four cardinal directions)
    - etc

- They should be configurable such that clockwise and counterclockwise can be selected.

oJTBL9Q.png

** The problem is step count. While 12 (steps) / 3 (quadrants) = 4, the other heights aren't evenly divisible by 3. So, what's you'll have to do is use 4,5, and 6 (steps per quadrant), and make new animations to suit, for every life stage that can ascend/descend. This is because squeezing another step into a quadrant raises the slope of the entire stairwell.

Good luck!

• Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,333 EA Community Manager
    Absolutely! I'll send this up the chain :)
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Absolutely! I'll send this up the chain :)

We all appreciate it!

• Options
    LIL_LillyLIL_Lilly Posts: 93 Member
    Thank you so much EA_Cade! I really appreciate it! :D
    Yes, I play big families in the sims. please add crawling babies and pre-teens, My mom played sims 1 and 2 now I play 4, its just family tradition at this point