Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Style?

doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
edited April 2022 in Off Topic Chat
If Maxis decided to change the art Style for The Sims 5 what would you like to see?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

New Style? 65 votes

More realistic like the sims 3
29%
auroraael14ncisGibbs02heiblumeCororondreamerz13g01denswangoodcakebaker62bixtersDrago97232pandabear1836DeKaySimKonfetticomicsforlifeWispyecody6268Aenaladominoes007melsimbaremb 19 votes
Less realistic a more cartoony style
38%
crocobauraPlayerSinger2010ghilieGracieO312annaliese39AngelEb95EvaliynEnkiSchmidtStrawberryYogurtDaniRose2143OliiveSimsEvilyn_1007superkyle221Atreya33PeralLady_BalloraSeashoreLiviaGordyPlumbeebamber_ilumire 25 votes
Ultra realistic really showing the power of Unreal Engine 5
18%
simgirl1010JestTrupammiechickOnverserSheriSim57Behappy1stGeralt_ofRiviaDalekFridayjustice4bonehildaignominiusrexCabaNeibelleDramaticJedi5 12 votes
Pixar style think inside out
13%
rudy8292doogerieDoloresGreyAuronoiChieftainRememberJoyDaWaterRatWhatCobblersChatonLIL_Lilly 9 votes

Comments

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited April 2022
    tbh I wouldn't like to see change in art style
    I like the ts2 and 4 style where its nice mix of realistic and cartoony

would hate to go too realistic cause that ages really fast as soon as something else has more realistic graphics and most of the time what we call "realistic" is just unrealistic in non cartoony way

and again I would hate to go more cartoony cause then you start losing detail and sims start looking like kids show

i wouldn't be against more detailed version of the current artstyle though
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I didn't play Sims 1 or 2, but I played a bit of 3. I wasn't at all fond of that game's art style, but I wish 4 had leaned a bit more toward the realistic side of things while retaining its overall style. Maybe Sims 5 could achieve that. Whatever else that game might end up being, going more to the cartoony side would be among the things that would instantly lose me as a potential buyer. Going too realistic might too, mainly because I'm not confident that very realistic art and Sims games' typically rather goofy gameplay would ever work well together.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,828 Member
    edited April 2022
    There really should be an option for keeping this same art style, albeit with some tweaks. I chose less realistic, more cartoony, because it feels about as close to my answer as there is. The look of TS4 took a bit of time to grow on me, but I'm quite fond of it now. For me the changes need to be in the areas of color palette and the variety of swatches, and better matching of colors on objects that are likely to intersect with each other. Railing swatches need to better match wall swatches as an example.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    I'd like more of an SFM style-that style can be pretty cartoony and unrealistic at times. I don't want my Sims to look like they stepped out of some TV reality show-that would be TOO creepy for me.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I can't really choose, because to me TS4 already looks Pixar-ish with it's stylized non-detailed smooth faces and clay hair, it's always been very Toy Story or Disney Princess to me .... so that knocks out Choice #4.

Most definitely NOT more cartoony .... pretty much over that (it took a really long time for me to not cringe at how bright and happy TS4 was with all of the playschool color choices in the swatches, the overly exaggerated facial expressions with the constant joker grins and raising of eyebrows clear up to their hair line and their huge bugged out eyes with certain emotions when I first started playing. I also HATE the smeary grass and environment textures. The whole vibe of TS4 to me is already super cartoonish.

Absolutely NOT ultra-realistic, I can't stand those skins and skin overlays that have pores and stretchmarks and literally looks like you photoshopped a RL skin onto a Sims 4 character model, etc. That looks absolutely horrible to me. The Sims is not some "gritty" realistic game and they just look ridiculously out of place, not to mention the way sims act just look and their facial expressions make those realistic sims details look even more du-mb.

While I didn't mind TS3's graphics when that was the current game, now I feel like everything looks sort of dirty and grungy. So the lighting would need to be super improved, plus if they ever gave us a CAST type ability again they need to tone down their shadows and shading on things because sometimes they were WAYYYYY overpowering which would cause the dirty look. But I still do really love the environment looking a little more realistic.

My choice would be a more realistic stylized look, cartoony but not "kids cartoony" which is how I feel TS4 looks in it's unmodded version, more realistic meaning ... No Clay Hair, REAL FREAKIN' EYELASHES!!!!!! ..... better clothing and object mesh models details, none of this drawn on details. And regardless of the style they choose, for the Love of all things Sims ...... Please make furniture and objects SIZED TO SCALE!!!!!

So something like this would make me super happy:
    vNmO8Gx.png

You can clearly tell it's a game and not real people, it still has a cartoon/game look just not a childish cartoon look,

So yeah, that would be my preferred style of TS5.

• DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,828 Member
    @Chicklet453681 That screenshot is a great example of the perfect compromise between hyper-realistic and what we have now with Maxis Match. Clay hairs are starting to really catch on for me. The artists making them are getting better and better and they're not hideous anymore. The one thing I feel MM still doesn't have the hang of in clothes is jeans. They look more like sweatpants, bulky and loose. I want some that fit sims more tightly like jeans should. Not second skin tight, but not looking like sweats.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I mean, to be fair, Pixar itself uses dynamic hair and clothing, which we're not likely to see as video game options for a while - a few processor generations at least, and probably not until sims 6 or 7 depending on how long those take.

But improved textures that are more "Painterly real" are certainly doable, and a direction I hope they go.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    edited April 2022
    1. TS3s color palette was always too dark, muddy and muted, for me. I prefer TS4s clear color schemes. Plus, my Sims always wound up looking alike in game, with the same dolly faces, no matter how much time I invested in CAS. In TS4, I at least get in game the Sim I create in CAS. I also like the expressiveness of TS4 Sims, even if it is a bit over the top for some.

2. I certainly don’t want a less realistic style. No chibis or anime please.

3. I definitely don’t want a hyper-realistic style either. I find a lot of uncanny valley in the hyper-realistic style and it would definitely put me off.

4. Pixar and Disney have texture rendering developed to an incredible level, but I don’t particularly like Pixar’s recent adoption of the CalArts style for their character design, so no on that. Disney Animation’s characters are great, but still a bit too exaggerated for a Sim. But a toned down Disney style character design, without the exaggerated features and proportions but keeping textures in hair, skin and clothing, would be awesome. If you don’t believe me, take a look at Encanto. The hair is to die for, clothing has texture, weight and movement, skin has texture but isn’t hyper real, and characters are expressive. I realize this is Disney and not a game, but anything getting close to that would be awesome.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    Sims 2 and Sims 4 have a nice look. I hope sims 5 will have that kind of cartoony look. One of the reasons why I never warmed up to sims 3 is the look of the sims in that version.
  • fae_brassfae_brass Posts: 81 Member
    edited April 2022
    I play on console and the graphics are a bit pants. It would be nice to see better renders for console so play of light and textures have a realism to them but I would like to keep it stylised. I agree with others that ultra realistic or more realistic would age the game quickly.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Needs to be a balance. TS3's style is odd partly due to 2009-era graphics capabilities. Early concept art for TS4 showed Sims that were stylized, yet realistic. That being said, where we're at now I was originally quite critical of it, but it's quite fine.

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I just want more detailed meshes and a little more detail to textures.
    Also a variety of thick and thin detail to objects instead of everything being thick and blocky.
    They have been doing this with some objects later in the game.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I chose the third option, but truth is it doesn't have to be ultra realistic. I like the looks of GTA5 and Horizon Zero Dawn. I never thought Sims 3 looked realistic, it was a very dollhouse loom to me. But I do love the things that Sims 3 offered.

I don't mind the look of Sims 4, just wish it had the things that past games had that made the game really fun play. I could spend hours and even days playing Sims 1, 2, and 3 but when I play Sims 4 I only play a couple hours then don't even play for weeks or even months at a time. Now that could be because of real life stuff going on that prevents me from playing or even being interested in playing but I also think, and this is my personal opinion, it lacks in certain gameplay that really kept my interest the others have.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    sims 4 artstyle is everything
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • justice4bonehildajustice4bonehilda Posts: 185 Member
    Less realistic than now could kill the game imo. There’s a lot of generic cartoonish IPs. Sims is play with life, they meed to bring back the Sims 1 feeling.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited April 2022
    Honestly just any style other than the pixar style lol. I don't want the game to feel like a cute kids game
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I like realism, but in a way that fits the Sims. So, a graphical improvement of Sims 3 in terms of realism and with modern lighting and shading.

But I like the option for simmers to choose, so why not have two sets of skins? That would do a lot for those who like a smoother, cartoony skin, and those who want more detailed skin. :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    I liked TS3's style a lot and would love that again just updated for better quality ofc.

I didn't consider it that realistic on it's own but it was kind of a nice middle ground between cartoon and realism imo. Which I thought especially for CC users was amazing because you could go a little more realistic or a little less whatever you preferred without it looking wildly out of place, even without CC with the wealth of customization options and depending how you worked those sliders making sims you could still find a little more or less realism.

I like a little more realism personally but not ultra realistic. I find it a little unsettling and also I can't afford the computer that could handle that.

Ultimately art style isn't the biggest priority though. I wasn't a fan of TS4s art style but mostly I would have accepted it for an otherwise great game. But to go back to something along the lines of TS3 maybe a little more realistic would be a dream.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I would like to see a return to Sims 3 art. Due to the softer lines and graphics I can play that game far longer than TS2 or TS4.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,758 Member
    Yes please! I especially like the anime style they've used in their latest film, Turning Red (WHY didn't they release it in cinemas?! 😭) Would love it if the Sims was in this style.
  • LIL_LillyLIL_Lilly Posts: 93 Member
    if it HAD to change i suppose pixar.
    Yes, I play big families in the sims. please add crawling babies and pre-teens, My mom played sims 1 and 2 now I play 4, its just family tradition at this point