Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Brainstorming how a Sims Subscription Model could work

2...Next

Comments

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    thats a terrible idea if i went to buy the game i went to pay once no fee or monthly amount and pay each packs ep and kits like the sims 4 seperatly no monthly fees or hidden fees attach so i fully disagree with this

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. And please spare us the attitude. This is a hypothetical discussion.

i apoligize to say this but @simmerorigin but you need to realise not everyone can afford or went as a player to pay such a fee you also need no matter how diffrent opinions are learn to respect opinions of others thats what forums are made for so that players can post there opinion on the subject and as a player i am againts that idea 1000%

If you read my post it would be an opt-in system and this is all theoretical. I just made this post because I think there is a high likelihood that EA will implement a subscription service so I wanted to brainstorm. I am not against you voicing your opinions. I posted this knowing it would be controversial. I am against your harsh language. It's not a "terrible" idea. You can explain why it doesn't work for you without shooting it down. It's not a terrible idea. It's a controversial one. Maybe there is a language barrier or something but I hope that this is clear.

In your opinion it's not a terrible idea. But in friendlysimmers' mind it is a terrible idea. Neither of you are wrong.

Just because this is a hypothetical discussion of what EA should do, doesn't mean that players can't come in and state that nothing would make a subscription service for the game something they would want - regardless of if it's optional or not.

And let's not kid ourselves, EA are greedy. They will make it so that people are highly incentivized and rewarded for doing an optional subscription.

thank you @Seera1024 when i made this post i also took in consideration that there also inflation price rise and the fact that countrys have diffent curencys so the amount would not be the same for all like for exemple 5$ usd in canadien curency cad$ the amount would be 10$
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I have already mentioned something similar to this with my Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership. This is how I am able to access the Animal Crossing: New Horizons DLC pack Happy Home Paradise. I got that specific option because I thought previous Mario Kart games would be exclusive to it. But they are adding tracks from the older games to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. So now I am trying to decide if I really want to keep the Expansion Pack portion of my membership or just drop back down to a regular NSO membership and outright purchase the HHP pack for each Switch, with a gift card for the eShop.

If EA did this for Sims 5, I probably would not do the subscription service and just purchase the packs I want like I always have. But to just have a membership because I am scared I would miss out on specific content, no thanks. Not doing that.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited April 2022
    • Customers who buy most or all packs and would appreciate discounts

I'm in this category of customer, the sales and Build-A-Bundle already do the job very well.

A subscription should bring a new service.
    Maybe a Community Poll service, Maxis would create the content that the members would choose.
  • ItsMeThatGuyItsMeThatGuy Posts: 305 Member
    To me, I disagree. I do feel very pressured about the subscription on the game. Tokens are fine, and I wish you can get them for just playing the game to buy packs, or buy the packs with real money. But tokens do disagree as well.
    I am NOT part of anything in EA and I'm just a player. I try my best to answer questions in the Sims forums, and showing info about the Sims, even posting answers and thoughts of feedback! I have been playing the Sims 4 for 2 years.
  • chocolatefrostingchocolatefrosting Posts: 67 Member
    Good idea in theory but knowing money hungry maxis I feel like they would get carried away.
  • ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 371 Member
    Buy the base game and then a subscription service where you can either pay monthly or yearly or one time payment of tokens that can be used in a store similar to TS3 is fine as long as can be used for both pc and console players but also have the ability to purchase the kits and packs without having a subscription
    And on the Sims birthday, your birthday and at Christmas as long as you bought a subscription of some kind that year you will receive free items from the store for a certain cost. I believe some players will go for. But the number of tokens have to be higher then what you pay for then in TS3
    As most players might not be able to afford pay every month Another thing you should be able to use the EA wallet to purchase instead of using a credit debit or even creating a paypal account etc for those who don't have one or don't want even for a few seconds have their credit card on any site
    Another thing EA/Maxis can do is have a code for a certain amount of tokens with every DLC you purchase either for yourself or to gift
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I don't know what I would do. I'm not interested in that at all and having never done any of it, may would just quit and not get the Sims5 at all. Like someone said, there have been many packs I'm not interested in at all and paying a subscription for packs you don't want isn't appealing. Knowing there will be no open world is a real turn off for me at the start. I love some things about the Sims4, but as a whole compared to Sims3 and the unlimited things you could do in it, for me half of the Sims4 is just a huge let down from start to finish and if that's what we have to look forward to in Sims5, then I don't want it. I'm not wasting my money on the same content we've had for a few games now and less play in the "new" version than in the Sims3, which is highly underrated considering it's mass of content and content in it's EPs and worlds. The worlds/lots are nearly 3x larger if not more than the Sims4 and you could run all over the place.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    Buy the base game and then a subscription service where you can either pay monthly or yearly or one time payment of tokens that can be used in a store similar to TS3 is fine as long as can be used for both pc and console players but also have the ability to purchase the kits and packs without having a subscription
    And on the Sims birthday, your birthday and at Christmas as long as you bought a subscription of some kind that year you will receive free items from the store for a certain cost. I believe some players will go for. But the number of tokens have to be higher then what you pay for then in TS3
    As most players might not be able to afford pay every month Another thing you should be able to use the EA wallet to purchase instead of using a credit debit or even creating a paypal account etc for those who don't have one or don't want even for a few seconds have their credit card on any site
    Another thing EA/Maxis can do is have a code for a certain amount of tokens with every DLC you purchase either for yourself or to gift

Interesting thoughts!
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
    I’m not in support of a subscription model at this point
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Jotaerre3DJotaerre3D Posts: 954 Member
    edited June 2023
    I’m not in support of a subscription model at this point

Me neither, that's why I stopped using Adobe Products, (Illustrator, Photoshop and others) and will stop using any software that moves to that model. :(
    Feel free to call me J.R., all my friends call me in that way.
  • Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 711 Member
    For a long time, I stopped using everything that converted to a subscription model. I think more of the world is preparing to convert to subscription only. Soon, I think the choice to refuse to pay for subscriptions is going to be a drastic one with extreme consequences. I have some things that are free or only $1 a month because I am a student. If I wanted to be in school, I had no choice to subscribe. It became black and white. I have made no final decisions about the course of my life concerning subscriptions; I just decide semester by semester if being in school is worth the subscriptions.

This thread is from 2022. I might have answered differently than I would now. The world has changed in a year and and what is expected from me has changed in a year. What I think about Sims subscriptions is in context of these bigger changes. What will be the context when Sims 5 is released?
  • Build_Mode_QueenBuild_Mode_Queen Posts: 24 Member
    Im one of the few people who likes the subscription idea. I think that it will mean fresh content more often. It's their choice ultimately. I think either way, there will always be players who are open to the games changes.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I guess it would depend on how they implemented it if I thought it was worth it. If they did something like WOW where you had to be subscribed to even play, I would not like that. If they did the token idea, say they followed the OPs idea of 5 tokens a month, at 5 dollars a month and expansions were 35 or 40 tokens, that would still be 35 to 40 dollars per expansion, how much are we really saving? Plus for me personally I am not that patient a person if it is something I really want, so waiting until I had enough might not work for me, I could see it working for some folks, especially if they are the type to wait for sales and such anyway. Again though it would all come down to how much they charged per month and how many tokens per month you might get. It is interesting to think about though.
    edited July 2023
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    I guess it would depend on how they implemented it if I thought it was worth it. If they did something like WOW where you had to be subscribed to even play, I would not like that. If they did the token idea, say they followed the OPs idea of 5 tokens a month, at 5 dollars a month and expansions were 35 or 40 tokens, that would still be 35 to 40 dollars per expansion, how much are we really saving? Plus for me personally I am not that patient a person if it is something I really want, so waiting until I had enough might not work for me, I could see it working for some folks, especially if they are the type to wait for sales and such anyway. Again though it would all come down to how much they charged per month and how many tokens per month you might get. It is interesting to think about though.

In my original brainstorm, I imagined that the packs would be offered as a discount to the list price of the expansion packs when purchased using tokens. So a list price $40 expansion might cost 30 tokens at 1 dollar each. This effectively earns you 33 extra cents on the dollar, as 30 tokens (times) $1.33 = $40 Expansion pack. You would only earn tokens by subscribing to receive them, effectively saving you money at the cost of giving recurring revenue to EA.

Now, I'm skeptical of any subscription model. I'm concerned about what Rene will look like.

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited August 2023
    For example :
    • Daz+ annual subscription is $70 , it includes $12 coupons (Annual total : $144, annual gain : $74 discount on the content).
    • EA Play $25 + The Sims 4 in 2022 : 10% discount on 1 EP, 2 GP and 8 kits (Annual total : $12, annual loss : $13)
    (Without EA Play + Sales : $25 discount)

A subscription worth it only if you get a real discount.

TS3 Store/Project Rene Marketplace remain the best way to sell content, letting the players decide when and what.

edited February 11
    I have subscription fatigue. I definitely don't want this. I'm glad the pack model is being maintained for PR.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    If sims 5 is a subscription game then I won't be able to play anymore. It's not exactly cheap if you want all content for sims 4 but at least the player can decide what to get and what not. a fixed amount of money going from my bank account each month is not an option due to real life situations.

And if the base will be free with a subscription for DLC content then I will get stuck with a very lackluster and bare bone experience.

So a subscription might very well be the end of playing sims after starting to play back in 2000. Perhaps it can work for a certain part of the sims community but I am not part of that group.