Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA is making Unreal Engine their new Game Development Standard

Comments

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited April 2022
    It's not a matter of "good" or "bad" engine, it's more about the amount of efforts in order to do something which doesn't exist (5, 10 or 15 years of development).

For example the packs could be longer to develop with UE. In particular Maxis have no experience with it, it's a start from scratch.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited April 2022
    I think it's a good choice especially for studios like BioWare because EA have had trouble with the Frostbite engine which BioWare tried to make their games with. When it comes to Maxis I don't think they have had any trouble with their engine as far as I know, apart from it being originally supposed to support online play.

Apart from that, the sims4 engine have worked pretty well and from what I understand it was based on Unreal? They did their prototyping with it, which hopefully means that Maxis will not have anything against making The Sims 5 in Unreal Engine.

The thing that I am worried about is mod support, but from what I understand The Sims4 uses a python client which is why it's so mod friendly, and I guess The Sims5 will probably also use a python client but be connected to the Unreal Engine? So hopefully that means that The Sims5 will also be mod friendly?

Other than that I am happy with EA moving on to Unreal Engine 5 because it seems that there are a lot of people that are good at working with it, it also seems to be very flexible and powerful so Maxis will be able to make a game that will allow us to create the worlds we want and the sims we want, and in an art style which people will like.
    Post edited by logion on
    edited April 2022
    The next-gen SimCity would be nice.
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    I think honestly that Maxis is working on a totally new game, not The Sims 5...

To clarify there is "Lost Astral" AND the next-gen Sims game.

• simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member

It's not a matter of "good" or "bad" engine, it's more about the amount of efforts in order to do something which doesn't exist (5, 10 or 15 years of development).

For example the packs could be longer to develop with UE. In particular Maxis have no experience with it, it's a start from scratch.

I do think using Unreal Engine will improve efficiency, especially with asset creation and animations.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
    edited April 2022
    It's an iceberg like any projects.
    There is what we can see and the many issues we didn't expect to discover as things progress.

BioWare saw it with Frostbite 3 engine during 10 years, CD Projekt saw it with REDengine 4 and Cyberpunk 2077 after 12 years of development.
  • TasaarTasaar Posts: 64 Member

I do think using Unreal Engine will improve efficiency, especially with asset creation and animations.

If it means we don't get a laggy mess a la TS3, and a game with more depth than TS4, I'm game with literally any engine.
    edited April 2022
    Tasaar wrote: »
    we don't get a laggy mess a la TS3

It will depend on your computer. A cheap laptop with Intel Graphic card isn't recommended.

Unreal Engine 5 Recommended Hardware
    • Operating System : Windows 10 64-bit
    • Processor : Quad-core Intel or AMD, 2.5 GHz or faster
    • Memory : 8 GB RAM

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • BreazonaBreazona Posts: 1,335 Member

If it means we don't get a laggy mess a la TS3, and a game with more depth than TS4, I'm game with literally any engine.

Yeah, my first thought was Sims 3 as well. Adore this game but building it on an improved Sims 2 engine had to have hurt it, right? I mean I'm a bit of an idiot so I could be completely off base here!
    sims 2&3 my beloved♥
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Breazona wrote: »

Yeah, my first thought was Sims 3 as well. Adore this game but building it on an improved Sims 2 engine had to have hurt it, right? I mean I'm a bit of an idiot so I could be completely off base here!

The Sims 3 wasn't built off The Sims2 engine. It is it's own engine. It's just that it was too far ahead of its time.

The computers we have now play it just fine:
    • lag free and can load all EPs and SPs on SDD
    • graphics can be set to as high as your hardware will allow (just make sure to get the tool that will update TS3 to accept new graphics cards)
    • also, when people blame lag on the game itself, it is usually a routing issue which can be fixed
    • the newer computers also have faster CPUs which actually govern the number of townies and tourists you have going out and about and going to the lots

I really should set up a YouTube channel and do videos on how I set up a world, how I play sims and do some tutorials on some things that would be helpful.... 🤔

edited April 2022
    we don't get a laggy mess a la TS3

It will depend on your computer. A cheap laptop with Intel Graphic card isn't recommended.

Unreal Engine 5 Recommended Hardware
    • Operating System : Windows 10 64-bit
    • Processor : Quad-core Intel or AMD, 2.5 GHz or faster
    • Memory : 8 GB RAM

Can someone explain how EA is going to reconcile using Unreal Engine 5 with their goal of being cross-platform (including mobile devices)? I can't imagine a real, non-spin off Sims game running on an iPhone. But then again doesn't Fortnite (also uses Unreal) work on an iPhone? Anything on this would be helpful.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited April 2022
    @simmerorigin, Unreal Engine 5 supports the two biggest mobile operating systems, iOS and Android, as well as Windows, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S/X and Nintendo Switch.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited April 2022
    logion wrote: »
    The thing that I am worried about is mod support, but from what I understand The Sims4 uses a python client which is why it's so mod friendly, and I guess The Sims5 will probably also use a python client but be connected to the Unreal Engine? So hopefully that means that The Sims5 will also be mod friendly?

Unreal engine 5 can handle mods as far as I know of, ff7 remake has mod support and it was made with UE5. lol
    Oh yes! Ark survival evolved is made with Unreal engine 4 and that game has mod support, I have the game and a bunch of mods for it. : D
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Unreal engine games have had mod support all the way back to the original Unreal. It's a developer decision at the end of the day, but the engine itself won't get in the way.
    The very first mod I ever personally wrote was for Unreal Tournament.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    edited April 2022
    "The latest UE incarnation, Unreal Engine 5, makes next-gen, NFT-based content creation viable for all."

Welcome to Metaverse ?

At a certain level Mass Effect 5 content could be imported into The Sims 5 ?
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Breazona wrote: »

The Sims 3 wasn't built off The Sims2 engine. It is it's own engine. It's just that it was too far ahead of its time.

The computers we have now play it just fine:
    • lag free and can load all EPs and SPs on SDD
    • graphics can be set to as high as your hardware will allow (just make sure to get the tool that will update TS3 to accept new graphics cards)
    • also, when people blame lag on the game itself, it is usually a routing issue which can be fixed
    • the newer computers also have faster CPUs which actually govern the number of townies and tourists you have going out and about and going to the lots

I really should set up a YouTube channel and do videos on how I set up a world, how I play sims and do some tutorials on some things that would be helpful.... 🤔

Finally, someone else who gets it. I took all the cc junk and redid my game right before Sims3 Supernatural came out because I'm a family player and babies were lines. I'm not rich, but I knew to get a good gaming computer when I bought mine and I bought an Asus. Taking off the cc was a night and day change in my game. Still to this day I can play with the whole store and all games without problems. The low end computers and the cc was the biggest issue with the Sims3. And you are spot on, it was ahead of it's time and all I can think about when playing the Sims 4 is how happy I was playing Sims3. Loading, getting out of CAS, saving are issues I hate about the Sims3 that Sims4 got right and that's why I mostly play Sims4 right now because I want to play instead of waiting to load and also because once in game(Sims3) I never want to quit. I can't count how many times I played morning until late at night all day long. TBH, I don't know if that has happened once in the Sims4.

The images for me that helped at the beginning of this is from OP and Simming girl and were the ones that showed the sim looking people walking around the jungle, or sim looking people walking, and the city picture/view. Wow, is all I can say. I hope sims look that real. We've had cartoons in the Sims3&4 and it's time to take this game to Unreal Engine and take Sims to new places and that means looking good. After seeing what's possible, I'm glad S5 is in production; I just hope they are better at putting out packs. Sims3/ and store had so much, but we get same old stuff in the Sims4 and I'm tired of paying good money for stuff already in game, just changed a little. I've had the whole Sims3 store and all games and all games from the Sims4 except 2 kits that are just clothes and seem to be what we already have just slightly different. I don't need that. I hope in addition to real engine that they concentrate on getting a bunch of content out like they did in the Sims3. No content/news in the Sims4 has seriously killed my interest these last few years.
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,934 Member
    edited May 2022
    Now I've gotta wait a year more just so I can get their games on Steam I bet.
    L9q8VGi.png
    edited May 2022
    Without creativity, an engine is nothing.
    After 4 Pets EP, the gameplay won't be improved or expanded compared to what we already know for 20 years.

Due to complexity of the development, the game can only recycle the old limited gameplay.

Honestly a beautiful game with a weak AI and gameplay isn't a fun game. Taking screenshots isn't the purpose of video games.
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Man, can't wait for EA to charge 70 bucks for an UNREAL EXPERIENCE base game. lol
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
    "The latest UE incarnation, Unreal Engine 5, makes next-gen, NFT-based content creation viable for all."

Welcome to Metaverse ?

I would be very surprised if the next-gen Sims game has some sort of cryptocurrency /NFT element
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Hope this will help with animations and whatever resources, and that the devs will be able to program better and have better optimization, etc. :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited December 2022

Welcome to Metaverse ?

I would be very surprised if the next-gen Sims game has some sort of cryptocurrency /NFT element

The thought of that makes me cringe.

*plays new sims game*
    I try to get my sim to marry another sim, I get a message saying "in order to get married; you must pay $100 IRL money to unlock wedding event".

Me: FLUFF THAT CARP!!!!!!!!
    AAAAH... AAAAH... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

*deletes game and jumps out of window yelling in madness* XD

If it got NFT's, the sims would die and I mean DIE!!!
    Post edited by MoonCrossWarrior22 on
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Better to stay on room side of window and vent frustrations by getting onto forums and warning everyone using such forms of upset verbiage as may suit the purpose.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    They can literally make Unreal Engine do whatever they want, so the engine won't limit them like the Sims 4 and previous engines have. Granted, will they, who knows - but they will no longer be able to say anything about engine limitations again.