Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA is making Unreal Engine their new Game Development Standard

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
All but confirmed that the future of the Sims Franchise will be built in Unreal Engine 5. More and why that matters in the linked article.

Are you familiar with Unreal Engine 5?
Have you played any games made in Unreal?
What do you think this could mean for the future of the Sims Franchise?

He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464

Comments

• StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I dont know anything about it or what it means, im just hoping its a good game with a stylized aesthetic, not realism looks 😬
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    A good primer on Unreal Engine 5.

Why Should You Care About Unreal Engine 5

https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/11/what-is-epic-games-unreal-5/
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    i do not know to be honest has a player my motto is never trust what you see since thing can change proof of what i mean base on curent sims4 game when it was annonce the very first time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSV-A6IDKWY&t=1s so i am holding my judgement because what you see now do not mean it will be that way when the sims5 is officially realise
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I've played many games (of many types) made in various iterations of Unreal Engine, many of which are some of my favorite games of all time (including the original Deus Ex, which was made in Unreal 1). I wouldn't want to see just one major engine completely dominate the industry, but I do like that EA is expanding their use of this one. If Unreal 5 follows its predecessors that can only mean a greater likelihood of more stable games and a wider array of creative variety possible than some other choices they could have made. I don't yet know if I'll be around for the next Sims game, but if it's developed (and not just prototyped) in Unreal 5, there's at least hope for me to be there for it.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I am not familiar with Unreal 5 and I do not know if any of the games I have played in the Sims franchise have used it. If it works better than the current engine the game is built on (and much better than what Sims 3 was on), then I may try it. It all comes down to content and gameplay for me.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    This looks very interesting. I know Sims 5 is a long way off, but this is the first news that's made me kind of interested in it. The new Witcher series, Kingdom Hearts and Tomb Raider games will use it. I don't know much about the video game industry, I'll have to pick someone else's brain I know studied video game development later, but it looks pretty high end and great quality. What did they use to make the wedding stories pack, a gilligan's island coconut contraption? Can they use this for Sims 4? Some of us still want to play Sims 4
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    One thing that interests me the most is that it makes stuff like animating and the whole development process easier. I hope this means it won't require as much resources to animate and we will get a lot more animations and variations in animation with sims 5.

It also mentioned some feature it has that makes open worlds better or easier I think. This can mean more open and dynamic worlds with sims 5.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    I think honestly that Maxis is working on a totally new game, not The Sims 5...
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited April 2022
    As someone who has been strongly skeptical that EA would be willing to give away 5% of all of their profits from the Sims Franchise to Epic Games, I read that story yesterday and it made me hopeful that I'm wrong. That said, the headline of the story makes it seem like it's a done deal...but it's still just speculation based on the actual content of the article. Speculation based on strong evidence, but still speculation.

I'll keep my fingers crossed though, because the article is not at all speculating when it talks about the advantages that using the engine would have for us gamers. Those are facts.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    One thing that interests me the most is that it makes stuff like animating and the whole development process easier. I hope this means it won't require as much resources to animate and we will get a lot more animations and variations in animation with sims 5.

It also mentioned some feature it has that makes open worlds better or easier I think. This can mean more open and dynamic worlds with sims 5.

Yes. This is the biggest pro for me. I hope it will remedy the most tedious aspects of animating so that the devs can make many high quality animations that make the sims feel alive.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Sthenastia wrote: »

Yes they are but in addition to sims 5
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
    Sthenastia wrote: »

To clarify there is "Lost Astral" AND the next-gen Sims game. It seems we just got a new teaser for the former as this suggests something non-Sims related:
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    edited April 2022
    The future is bright indeed for Maxis! More content for Sims 4 and two new titles.
  • CangwenCangwen Posts: 220 Member
    I don't see a downside to The Sims 5 being built on the Unreal Engine, or whatever game they have planned.
  • SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    I'm not too picky on graphics but what does it really mean for gameplay features, build mode and CAS? only time can tell. I'm always cautiously optimistic about future Sims content and I try to keep my expectations in check, just in case I don't like the news.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2022
    I knew a long time ago that they were going to use the Unreal Engine, but I thought they would use UE4 since I thought they were developing TS5 sooner. But UE5 would be great as it is the latest engine version!

What I like about the engine is
    • that it is extremely organized and broken down into workable components. It's not a mess like some of the engines that EA had developed under various game studios it owns - which were an absolute nightmare to for modders to make mods based off them.
    • the Unreal team has already optimized it - the Maxis team just has to make sure they understand how it all works
    • this engine comes with excellent educational and debugging support - the Maxis team will have lots of help making sure their game works well in every way
    • modders will also get help at the Unreal forums for how to make great mods for the game - the forum may even create a whole section for the game if asked
    • content creators will also get lots of help and resources to make awesome stuff for the game as well.

I've had plenty of games made in the Unreal Engine. The latest one I'm playing right now is, of course, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands. It's works great, very few bugs, none of which are game-breaking and the graphics are beautiful and lag-free! Like I said before, Maxis has the full help and support of Epic game engineers to make a great bug-free game. The only way they'll mess it up is if they go full multi-player and forget about those who only want to play offline and in singleplayer. But you know how EA is..... :(:/

I knew a long time ago that they were going to use the Unreal Engine, but I thought they would use UE4 since I thought they were developing TS5 sooner. But UE5 would be great as it is the latest engine version!

What I like about the engine is
    • that it is extremely organized and broken down into workable components. It's not a mess like some of the engines that EA had developed under various game studios it owns - which were an absolute nightmare to for modders to make mods based off them.
    • the Unreal team has already optimized it - the Maxis team just has to make sure they understand how it all works
    • this engine comes with excellent educational and debugging support - the Maxis team will have lots of help making sure their game works well in every way
    • modders will also get help at the Unreal forums for how to make great mods for the game - the forum may even create a whole section for the game if asked
    • content creators will also get lots of help and resources to make awesome stuff for the game as well.

I've had plenty of games made in the Unreal Engine. The latest one I'm playing right now is, of course, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands. It's works great, very few bugs, none of which are game-breaking and the graphics are beautiful and lag-free! Like I said before, Maxis has the full help and support of Epic game engineers to make a great bug-free game. The only way they'll mess it up is if they go full multi-player and forget about those who only want to play offline and in singleplayer. But you know how EA is..... :(:/

Well said.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    It's been suggested here before that TS5 be built on an existing engine instead of a proprietary one, and UE5 has been suggested a lot, including by me.

I hope that some form of the Metahuman Creator gets built into what becomes the new CAS.
  • spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    Animation and looks are one thing, if the game play and characters are not there, if its shallow and no drama or excitement, then it will still be a dud for me. I like the looks of Unreal Engine and have played games that use it, but if they keep going in the direction they have been with the Sims it will just be a great looking version of Animal Crossing.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited April 2022
    UE5 was just released though. So if they plan on using it for TS5, that means they haven’t even started working on the game yet. Most will not be happy about that. There will be many more years of TS4 after all it seems.
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited April 2022
    The sims franchise + Unreal engine 5 = GOOD results! it's a really good engine, fun will come out of this!
    Heck if they REALLY wanted to; they could make a very realistic sims game from it, just look at the matrix awakens, that was a interesting demo. : D

They could use that engine to randomly generate a big sim world or a sim city for a sims game. :O
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited April 2022
    I still doubt about The Sims and Unreal Engine. It reminds me when players said The Sims will be better with Frostbite Engine.

It's mainly good news for Mass Effect and Dragon Age franchises, BioWare suffered the most.
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    Unreal 5 is a good engine; trust me, the ff7 remake ended up turning out to be really good as well.
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I still doubt about The Sims and Unreal Engine. It reminds me when players said The Sims will be better with Frostbite Engine.

It's mainly good news for Mass Effect and Dragon Age franchises, BioWare suffered the most.

Frostbite might've actually been fine for a Sims game itself, but the corresponding modding community would've suffered greatly. I know a lot of people didn't like the use of that engine for Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda, but I happened to enjoy both games quite a lot. However, modding was a nightmare for both of those. Frostbite is notoriously difficult to work with in that way.

But you do make a good point. Having a great new engine is no guarantee in and of itself that it'll work well with a particular game. That depends on what the developer wants to do with it, but if they feel Unreal will help them achieve their vision for the next Sims game, we'll just have to hope they'll make the right choice to achieve it. With an engine as flexible as Unreal, they just might do something awesome. Then again, it may not be the kind of awesome that everyone likes. But we could say the same of a proprietary engine, too.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)