Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you guys like male Sims or Females better?

13...Next

Comments

• ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I play male sims mostly, but I can't say it's only because that's what I'd rather look at because I don't usually play guys I have done up as "eye candy". I just like them to be ordinary and believable. Sometimes I will just see a character I've made and they seem to suggest a life story and some tantalizing possibilities, so I go with that.

some people play "as" the sim, others play with them as action figures or characters in a play, and all are valid. I know that whatever your gender is in real life doesn't necessarily have to do with what you play in a game: look at VRchat: you'll see a LOT of anime girls, most of whom are guys.

I don't like having to spend a lot of time in CAS, don't like fiddling with makeup, can't even perceive half the colors anyway, a lot of the makeup options look either like mud, or like garish screaming shades of purplish pink that I hate. Makeup is hard and I don't even like the results if I can even see them, they're too much.

The women's clothes in Sims4 are also awful. So much of it looks like the closet of a woman who went clubbing a lot in the 2000s but never got rid of anything outdated. I also notice that women's clothing is either outright dowdy, or it's skin-tight, super skimpy and revealing, so you either have to be an old cute grandma, or an 18 year old college student on Spring Break.

So I have played a few female characters but I tend to stick with premades so all those decisions over appearance are already done. And I also will tend to end up playing the guy more often if they get involved with one, instead of them, actively.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,489 Member
    edited April 2022
    With me, it depends on the character of which I create my own in CAS. Erik is a guy and I do agree the clothing is limited. In the last three saves starring Erik Cantrell, I have made it a point to change out which suit he wears when he goes to the Starlight Accolades, especially so he's not wearing the same suit twice, once he wins. (this strategy also helped me keep count of how many he's won.) This makes for a shortage. While he's still a Teen, I can get away with a few more of the flamboyant styles IE the suits with spangles on them. When he became a YA, I switch out his wardrobe for something more suitable. I think I've about exhausted the different styles and colors of the suits.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,832 Member
    Female sims because I love dressing them. There's only ever one male in my sims family and that's the dad. After that I do whatever is necessary to ensure female offspring.

There are plenty of males in my game but they're just relatives, friends, potential mates, etc.
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    I prefer playing male Sims. I'd say 95% of all my Sims are boys. I don't mind playing girls, but I've always enjoyed playing male Sims and creating stories for them more.

I agree CAS is underwhelming for male Sims. I'd love to see a bigger variety in clothes, but also more hairs, facial hairs, and accessories.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    I'm about 50/50 on which I prefer to be honest. I've never really seen sim gender as a meaningful part of my game if I'm honest. I sorta view sims as genderless and I just let them decide who they like/how they want to dress. Of course, I still want them to be stylish so I do edit their choices, but if my guy wants to wear pigtails and mini skirts I let him and visa versa. I'm just going to choose a pigtail style that looks nice with a mini skirt :P

Are you referring to crossdressing? Why, I would never do that to any of my sims..... ;)

To be fair, I wasn't actually suggesting anyone does, just stating that my sims wear whatever they please. . . but I'll edit it to make sure they are at least fashionable :D I think no outfit is completed by adding the dreadded eyeball ring! :P
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    Most (but not all) of the sims I actually play with are male.

I don't necessarily feel a lack of male clothing options, but I wish that facial hair could be set individually by outfit the way hairstyles can be. Often, I've wanted to make a guy who is scruffy and unshaven in his everyday or sleep outfit, but clean-shaven for his formal and party clothes. But with the way CAS treats facial hair, I can't do this.

@GlacierSnow Precisely. It's Saturday evening, and the only time I've left the house today was to go for a walk around the neighborhood with my wife, daughter, and dog. I'm looking a bit scruffy today. By Monday morning, I'll probably be clean-shaven for work, but not necessarily so. If we had gone to dinner tonight, I would have shaved.

I'd like my Sim guys to have the same flexibility.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Sexy Linda, Justine Keaton, and Trevor Phillips.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    I have no preference. It depends on the story.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    @FatTribble23

I forgot Aretha has a few really nice male CAS items. You may want to check out JolieBean. She has some nice male items too.
    @DaniRose2143 Ah yes, I love Joliebean! They have their own subfolder in my mods folder haha.

Thank you again for pointing me to MacLayneSims. I found a lovely suit which is pretty much exactly what I have been looking for. It is so beautiful and classy!
    McLayneSims Felipe Formal Suit.
    BVNnk2x.jpg
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,808 Member
    @FatTribble23 Every girl's crazy about a sharp dressed man! He is the best for men's CAS. I'm happy you found what you needed. Don't hesitate to ask if you need a hand finding cc, I'm always happy to help!
    @FatTribble23 @DaniRose2143 The men's CAS creators you've mentioned here are really, really good. Thanks for the suggestions!

I've always found it easier to find trendy fashions for male Sims, while clothes for traditional/classic/L.L. Bean guys have been harder to find.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
    @MoonlightGraham It is so hit and miss with male CAS. If I come across any good new recommendations I will be sure to let you and @FatTribble23 know.
    @MoonlightGraham It is so hit and miss with male CAS. If I come across any good new recommendations I will be sure to let you and @FatTribble23 know.

@DaniRose2143 Thank you very much! Z and I just found another good source for male CAS. Marvinsims says his blog is "retired," but there's some very good stuff here. My avatar Sim is modeling Marvinsims' Black Watch plaid flannel shirt, with a simple white t-shirt under it.
    bFYYwVa.jpg
    I hope people don't think I've hijacked the thread, and if so, please accept my apology. Several people commented on the differences between finding CAS for and dressing male and female Sims, so I thought I'd share what I found. :)

Yevsas mairzeemo!
    @MoonlightGraham I don't know that you're really hijacking anything. Part of the discussion has centered around how hard it is to find these items. By sharing your helping people find things that maybe they didn't know were out there. CC crazy as I am, I had never heard of MarvinSims, so all these ideas and links help, imho.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I remember an artist on YouTube recently.
    He was answering questions his subscribers were asking him.

"Why do you draw only females?"
    His answer was, "Well... I like... girls."

Plus they just seem more interesting to create.
    I don't put as much effort into my male sims.
    In addition I do have some experience in design as a career, but a part of me wanted to try fashion design.
    I get to do that in the sims. I enjoy my photographer/Stylist/Model game play.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Female sims. They are less stupid than the males (noticed since TS2) and cuter to look at. The CAS options are much greater and more flexible, and they can do everything the guys can.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I like both, but I mostly play male sims. It can be frustrating as female sims get so much more variety and focus in CAS. I think male sims deserve more love.
  • Momma_Bear0705Momma_Bear0705 Posts: 28 Member
    I only like and play with sims that I have created or chosen to edit, regardless of gender, race or orientation
  • ItsMeThatGuyItsMeThatGuy Posts: 305 Member

@DaniRose2143 Thank you very much! Z and I just found another good source for male CAS. Marvinsims says his blog is "retired," but there's some very good stuff here. My avatar Sim is modeling Marvinsims' Black Watch plaid flannel shirt, with a simple white t-shirt under it.
    bFYYwVa.jpg
    I hope people don't think I've hijacked the thread, and if so, please accept my apology. Several people commented on the differences between finding CAS for and dressing male and female Sims, so I thought I'd share what I found. :)

No. It's just sharing other's creations, just as long as you don't leak it too much in the public!
    I am NOT part of anything in EA and I'm just a player. I try my best to answer questions in the Sims forums, and showing info about the Sims, even posting answers and thoughts of feedback! I have been playing the Sims 4 for 2 years.
  • spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    I am a Vanilla Simmer ( for now) and lean towards making male's. For a while I could not figure out why I chose to play that way until I realized what makes me " dislike" playing female sims. I do not like the way the female sims animate and act in the game, the constant giggling and acting like a ditzy blonde even if they are not. So now I only make females who fit that type, even if a male sim does the same actions, laughing up at the sky, giggling, sighing, it does not seem as ditzy or silly to me for some reason. Also I think some of it is the same reason as @Stormkeep but in the opposite. I prefer to look at males then I do women, LOL I do wish there were more styling options and CAS options for males though, but I am pretty good at using what is available for Vanilla if I do say so Myself.
  • spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    edited April 2022
    Just a note for Vanilla players who like making males but not happy with CAS and how they turn out. Try using make up and filters on your males, turn down the intensity of the makeup to help create shadows around the eye and jaw lines, lips. It does not have to look like make up I use it to create another layer of shadowing to the face. If you have ever done any kind of art it is the same concept of adding depth with shadow. Just play around with it. Same with hair meant for females and clothes, female tops can be a problem but some of the other items can work. I will add a few pics to try to show what I did with a few males, it might not show well with the pics I have though. These are not my best Sims but are just for the idea.
    [sSzkCTGY.png][/s]
    2lrWHWw.png
    this was just a quick re-make of Vlad and I could have done better.
    gAvsxGr.png
    Post edited by spend4zen on
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    spend4zen wrote: »
    I am a Vanilla Simmer ( for now) and lean towards making male's. For a while I could not figure out why I chose to play that way until I realized what makes me " dislike" playing female sims. I do not like the way the female sims animate and act in the game, the constant giggling and acting like a ditzy blonde even if they are not. So now I only make females who fit that type, even if a male sim does the same actions, laughing up at the sky, giggling, sighing, it does not seem as ditzy or silly to me for some reason. Also I think some of it is the same reason as @Stormkeep but in the opposite. I prefer to look at males then I do women, LOL I do wish there were more styling options and CAS options for males though, but I am pretty good at using what is available for Vanilla if I do say so Myself.

I'd never thought of that, but Sims4 sims are annoyingly air-headed in behaviors. Not even talking about their actions making no sense, but they all act like "ditzy blonde" stereotypes. But you say it's worse with the female sims, or at least seems so?

That is something I hadn't thought about in a while, but remembering how idiotic it looked to have Sims walking in a constant smiling daze, looking around with huge grins for no reason, reminded me a bit of that creepy "Johnny Cab!" from the original Total Recall movie. I think there were some mods to give them more serious default faces.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    I play with both because I like a good mix. And I think who I like most depends on how attached I've become to them, whether I am enjoying their storyline etc.

But I guess if it came down to it I would choose gals over guys. Maybe cos I'm a gal and can relate more to their clothing, hair and behaviour?
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    For some reason, I can't take making male sims seriously--not the case with female sims. Here's boytoy Mario Makavele, and if he looks a bit "over the top", that's intentional---he's a list of stereotypes all rolled up into one

UMmYH6s.png
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I tend to start off saves with a single female sim, but usually, the household ends up being an even split after a while.

I always create more female sims than male, but I think that's purely because I can easily create unique looking female sims, but the male sims I create, have a tendency to look alike no matter how much I try to change it up. I really try to avoid same face as much as possible, but I've yet to master that for male sims.

I absolutely love a lot of the male pre-mades though, more so than the female pre-mades. I remember that Danny Shino-Miller (from City Living) was my first favourite male pre-made, and I moved him in as a neighbour so that I could stage a meet cute with my sim lol. Most of the sims that I make, end up dating or marrying the pre-made townies.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.