Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Played the Sims 2 for the first time, shocked at how hard it is

Comments

• JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I love the Sims 2. If it had story progression and more neighborhood freedom to explore the worlds, (open world would be awesome but to just be able to move about an open neighborhood), with an updated graphics like the Sims 4, I'd say it would be the best Sims game of all of them. It is challenging but more comical and entertaining than the others.

But Sims 3 did offer some new things like houseboats and more supernatural play with mermaids and underwater lots. I think Sims 3 has been the most innovative, (aside from Sims1 being the first of its kind) with introducing those new aspects like open world, under water lots, boats, and even World Adventures, Showtime, and Into the Future features and aspects.

Just imagine if they could combine the best features of all the Sim Gen games. That would be an amazing game.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I began with Sims2. For the longest time it held my heart. I have come to love Sims4, however. I do play with a few mods. (Never even touched Boolprop, had me scared to death). Took me ages to work up the courage just to build my own neighborhood, but once I did that I never played the others. I also had fun creating Starfleet Academy. And I now use cheats, where I never used to. I find it very difficult in Sims 4 to keep up the full households' needs, I'm sorry to say. Playing Sims3 all the way to the end, softened me too much. I'm all out-of-gaming-shape. LOL I've changed my focus to create obstacles for myself to overcome, which gives the game more of a challenge to me. I can't go backward. The problem with Sims2 is you have two game lengths to play. Normal or aging off. That is strictly unacceptable to me. What can one accomplish in that short of a time? One can barely get to know their Sims. Plus, having to turn on and off the aging, (so that Sims can get to the next age level) is bothersome. The Toddlers in Sims4 are far superior in any iteration of this game. I miss the Sims2 babies, however. Instead, they stuck us with less than the burrito baby of Sims3, in a nod to The Sims. Face/palm.

Think of Sims2 in terms of Time Management.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    TS2 was the game I became severely addicted to! I would play and play and play, non-stop. I loved how it threw you curve-balls and sometimes totally wrecked your plans! The element of 'danger' made it all the more exciting. By danger, I mean unexpected deaths and random loss of jobs etc.

It did become less difficult over time, as I became used to it. But then I tried the Apocalypse Challenge lol.

As much as I enjoy TS4, I do wish it was more difficult. Everything is so set up for rainbows and unicorns unless you try really hard for it to be otherwise. Even evil sims are not particularly evil.
  • thenightcourtthenightcourt Posts: 173 Member
    I downloaded/played TS3 not long ago, and was shocked at how bad it is.

I can't even imagine the concept of downloading mods to make a game more difficult...

I loved TS3 during it’s time, but I couldn’t go back and play it now. What didn’t you like about it?

I felt that the gameplay was not intuitive, and CAS is a disaster lol

That’s totally fair lol
    Never forgive, always forget.
    TS2 was the game I became severely addicted to! I would play and play and play, non-stop. I loved how it threw you curve-balls and sometimes totally wrecked your plans! The element of 'danger' made it all the more exciting. By danger, I mean unexpected deaths and random loss of jobs etc.

It did become less difficult over time, as I became used to it. But then I tried the Apocalypse Challenge lol.

As much as I enjoy TS4, I do wish it was more difficult. Everything is so set up for rainbows and unicorns unless you try really hard for it to be otherwise. Even evil sims are not particularly evil.

I wish there was a middle ground between TS2 difficulty and TS4 difficulty. I feel like I have to try way too hard to kill sims in TS4, which ruins the fun a little bit. I want to occasionally be surprised by the game, and that never happens.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    There is no one size fits all. We all have different play styles, so it is a good thing there are different Sims options to choose from.

Agree, which is why comparing the games in terms of “better” or “best” is problematic to me. Some want challenge and a chance of defeat. Others want a canvas for their own imaginations. I’m in the latter category, so S2 was always getting in my way. That doesn’t mean I think S4 is better. It’s a different game for a different play style.

Depends on what exactly you are comparing.

Overall? Yea, that's subjective and just leads to needless arguing as no one is wrong or eight in which is overall better

But if you go down to the pieces is where one will be better than the others.

But since we all play differently, those pieces have different weights on how we view the game as a whole and which is better overall.
    @thenightcourt

What motive or motives do you have the most issue with?

How many Sims and what ages are they?
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    So continuing this thread...
    i have played TS2 since i first heard about it for PSP, switched to pc immediately after. I've been playing it for years, and it is not necessarily hard (although i may be used to its difficulty!) I enjoy that life throws curveballs at you: like one can lose their job if they choose the wrong choice in the chance card. Although, lately i have been hitting ignore because i don't want them to lose their dream job. But anyways, i also like that sims have a more chance of dying! For instance pregnant sims, they get really hungry easily, and they can also die unexpectedly. If their wife/husband is able to withness their death, they have a chance to save them if the friendship is high enough. i also like the environment motive: as it does inspire people to decorate more. I like it's difficultly and the ability to balance needs and wishes.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    @thenightcourt

I’m playing the Broke household with 4 sims, and it isn’t a single motive, it’s all of them lol. Time management is my issue, I think :)

i have played TS2 since i first heard about it for PSP, switched to pc immediately after. I've been playing it for years, and it is not necessarily hard (although i may be used to its difficulty!) I enjoy that life throws curveballs at you: like one can lose their job if they choose the wrong choice in the chance card. Although, lately i have been hitting ignore because i don't want them to lose their dream job. But anyways, i also like that sims have a more chance of dying! For instance pregnant sims, they get really hungry easily, and they can also die unexpectedly. If their wife/husband is able to withness their death, they have a chance to save them if the friendship is high enough. i also like the environment motive: as it does inspire people to decorate more. I like it's difficultly and the ability to balance needs and wishes.

While Sims do die easier in TS2, I don’t think pregnant Sims could die!
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I honestly HATE how hard it is! I rely on BoolProp to cheat their motives whenever I play.

I use Maxmotives lol
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I still love Sims 2 (I have the Ultimate Collection), even though the game is almost 18 years old. I love the replay value and the fact that each time I play, the outcome is different. I have all of the different neighborhoods (and a few from Mod The Sims). Each time I play the same household in each neighborhood, something different happens.

I am currently playing Marla Biggs (who is a university student), and each time I think she is going to leave college without a boyfriend, she always manages to drop my jaw at the last possible minute by falling in love. I am currently playing her Senior year at Sim State University (she starts out at Academie LeTour but I move her from the Student Bin) in Veronaville. She is in love with a dormie. I can't wait to see what happens next time when I play a different neighborhood.
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I've been loving on Sims2 again ever since my Sims4 game lost the ability to zoom in and out, or use 1st person mode (but to be honest the only fun for me in sims4 was testing out mods that I hadn't already grown tired of), and was amazed at how much more engaging it is. It could be the only Sims game I play and I'd be happy.

As for needs decay, something I had never figured out until just recently, is to check out the aspiration rewards. You click that when the icon is glowing, and you can use points (king of like vampiric or magic points, which purchase those traits or bonuses?) to buy slower fun-and-social decay under one category, or slower hygiene-and-sleep decay or whatever combo it was, and what I do first, is get slower decay on all needs. Then I go for financial or career advantages.

It really helps a lot!
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
    @thenightcourt

I’m playing the Broke household with 4 sims, and it isn’t a single motive, it’s all of them lol. Time management is my issue, I think :)

It's hard to start with one of the harder difficulty families.

I would step back from the Brokes and maybe look into one of the houses with just 1 or 2 Sims in them - preferably teen or older.

Or make a household with just one or two sims.

Get used to the controls and the rate at which needs drop in an environment with less risk of failure.

But if you want to stick with it here are some tips:

1. Group meals even if it's a single Sim household. Make sure you store the left overs. This reduces time to get a Sim to eat on busy mornings when they overslept or they have better things to do than cook a meal.
    2. Red hands raises fun really fast if they live with someone who has a good relationship with them.
    3. Upgrading the bed is first priority. Faster they sleep, the less time they spend sleeping and more time they can use to get a promotion or tend to other needs.
    4. No one ever died from low hygiene, fun, bladder, social, or energy on their own. Hunger is the first priority for all Sims. Followed by Social for kids and younger as they will get taken by the social worker if their social is too low for too long. Just be mindful of low motives if you have ghosts on the lot as the scaring will drop their motives.
    5. If they are too tired to eat a meal at the table, either pull the chairs away from the table and have them eat or have them eat a snack. They can't nap in their plate if they have to hold it and without a table, Sims will hold their plate and they will always hold a snack. If you go the snack route choose chips or cookies and then have them sleep for an hour or two and then wake them up to eat some left overs before sending them to bed again - if no left overs, have them eat another snack to get them to morning.
    6. If you can't get all motives topped off before work or school they will eat and take care of their bladder at work. Unless they have platinum aspiration they likely won't get promoted if you send them with low hunger and/or bladder due to their motives being too low, but if you find yourself crunched for time, it's something to be mindful of.
    7. They will watch tv until directed to do something else, even if you told them to watch tv so you can't queue anything up past watching tv.
    8. The floor dividers will keep things moving in the bathroom and let someone shower and use the bathroom without having any embarrassment issues. Just remember to leave some space in front of the tub/shower and toilet for Sims as they have to be in the same room to use the item.
    9. The floor dividers will also work as sound proofing so you can block off the crib and then a toddler or infant won't wake a sibling or parent in the same room.
    I've been loving on Sims2 again ever since my Sims4 game lost the ability to zoom in and out, or use 1st person mode (but to be honest the only fun for me in sims4 was testing out mods that I hadn't already grown tired of), and was amazed at how much more engaging it is. It could be the only Sims game I play and I'd be happy.

As for needs decay, something I had never figured out until just recently, is to check out the aspiration rewards. You click that when the icon is glowing, and you can use points (king of like vampiric or magic points, which purchase those traits or bonuses?) to buy slower fun-and-social decay under one category, or slower hygiene-and-sleep decay or whatever combo it was, and what I do first, is get slower decay on all needs. Then I go for financial or career advantages.

It really helps a lot!

That's also a good way to help with the needs - make them decay slower so you don't have to deal with them as urgently.

I usually forget about them as they were a late addition to the game.
    @thenightcourt

I would step back from the Brokes and maybe look into one of the houses with just 1 or 2 Sims in them - preferably teen or older.

Get used to the controls and the rate at which needs drop in an environment with less risk of failure.

Thank you for the help!! I had no idea kids could be taken if their social need was low for too long. I’m definitely going to stop playing the Broke household for a minute and play a single Sim for a while.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member

You do know about the aspiration rewards? The middle column is work related, and one of the perks is 80% chance of being right on the chance cards.
  • EcaEca Posts: 155 Member
    Harder but manageable :D
    giphy.gif
    Crystal Cover from Tumblr
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,396 Member
    @thenightcourt

1. Group meals even if it's a single Sim household. Make sure you store the left overs. This reduces time to get a Sim to eat on busy mornings when they overslept or they have better things to do than cook a meal.
    2. Red hands raises fun really fast if they live with someone who has a good relationship with them.
    3. Upgrading the bed is first priority. Faster they sleep, the less time they spend sleeping and more time they can use to get a promotion or tend to other needs.
    4. No one ever died from low hygiene, fun, bladder, social, or energy on their own. Hunger is the first priority for all Sims. Followed by Social for kids and younger as they will get taken by the social worker if their social is too low for too long. Just be mindful of low motives if you have ghosts on the lot as the scaring will drop their motives.
    5. If they are too tired to eat a meal at the table, either pull the chairs away from the table and have them eat or have them eat a snack. They can't nap in their plate if they have to hold it and without a table, Sims will hold their plate and they will always hold a snack. If you go the snack route choose chips or cookies and then have them sleep for an hour or two and then wake them up to eat some left overs before sending them to bed again - if no left overs, have them eat another snack to get them to morning.
    6. If you can't get all motives topped off before work or school they will eat and take care of their bladder at work. Unless they have platinum aspiration they likely won't get promoted if you send them with low hunger and/or bladder due to their motives being too low, but if you find yourself crunched for time, it's something to be mindful of.
    7. They will watch tv until directed to do something else, even if you told them to watch tv so you can't queue anything up past watching tv.
    8. The floor dividers will keep things moving in the bathroom and let someone shower and use the bathroom without having any embarrassment issues. Just remember to leave some space in front of the tub/shower and toilet for Sims as they have to be in the same room to use the item.
    9. The floor dividers will also work as sound proofing so you can block off the crib and then a toddler or infant won't wake a sibling or parent in the same room.

What are the floor dividers?
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    @thenightcourt

What are the floor dividers?

Tiny fences sims can step over.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2022
    TS2 is so easy to me now, that I could probably do stuff in my sleep. First when they are standing outside waiting to go in the house, stop all the socializing, send them to the bathroom. Don't let anyone cook anything. Make someone serve Cereal for breakfast. Send the kids on to school if the bus arrives. Get them out of the way because you want the adults to meet the neighbors and spend a lot of time socializing with them because in TS1 and TS2 Sims need friends for promotions.

Unlike TS1, TS2 Sims will at least talk to your Sim if you make that phone call and not curse out your Sim because they interrupted their TV program....lol. TS1 is harder than all four of them. TS4 players complain of how easy it is to build relationships and get married or whatever in TS4. They should try TS1 and find out how hard Maxis could actually make it, if they keep requesting different opposing relationship points. One Sim feeling closer to the other Sim than vice versa. TS1 is a very true and best example of just how hard Maxis made the game in the beginning.

After the Sims have eaten something, I make them watch TV..the cooking channel to at least get one cooking point. It gains fun and comfort and a cooking skill. Easy Peasy.

Don't let anyone cook anything without a smoke alarm in the rooms that have a stove, a kid stove and or a fireplace. I learned that lesson twenty years ago. On day one.

There is absolutely no reason at all any Sim should die in TS2 on the day they move in. It's not that hard, TS1, yes, never TS2.

No cooking until they have some cooking points and then there is still a risk of fire burning up your Sim if they cook something for the first time. Salads, sandwiches and cereal...and no grilling outside without smoke alarms.

As stated before, Active Sims take more care, they need more food, more sleep, more hygiene requirements. Sloppy Sims won't care they are that dirty, and or the house. Lazy Sims need more comfort and want to lounge a lot...let them it builds comfort faster than sitting. And remember furniture matters, the points on furniture and appliances matter in TS2 and were very low in TS1...it was very hard to find any chair in TS1 that was above 3 points and then those Sims won't stay seated when commanded. At least TS2 Sims will sit until you make them stop. :)

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    TS2 is so easy to me now, that I could probably do stuff in my sleep. First when they are standing outside waiting to go in the house, stop all the socializing, send them to the bathroom. Don't let anyone cook anything. Make someone serve Cereal for breakfast. Send the kids on to school if the bus arrives. Get them out of the way because you want the adults to meet the neighbors and spend a lot of time socializing with them because in TS1 and TS2 Sims need friends for promotions.

Unlike TS1, TS2 Sims will at least talk to your Sim if you make that phone call and not curse out your Sim because they interrupted their TV program....lol. TS1 is harder than all four of them. TS4 players complain of how easy it is to build relationships and get married or whatever in TS4. They should try TS1 and find out how hard Maxis could actually make it, if they keep requesting different opposing relationship points. One Sim feeling closer to the other Sim than vice versa. TS1 is a very true and best example of just how hard Maxis made the game in the beginning.

After the Sims have eaten something, I make them watch TV..the cooking channel to at least get one cooking point. It gains fun and comfort and a cooking skill. Easy Peasy.

Don't let anyone cook anything without a smoke alarm in the rooms that have a stove, a kid stove and or a fireplace. I learned that lesson twenty years ago. On day one.

There is absolutely no reason at all any Sim should die in TS2 on the day they move in. It's not that hard, TS1, yes, never TS2.

No cooking until they have some cooking points and then there is still a risk of fire burning up your Sim if they cook something for the first time. Salads, sandwiches and cereal...and no grilling outside without smoke alarms.

As stated before, Active Sims take more care, they need more food, more sleep, more hygiene requirements. Sloppy Sims won't care they are that dirty, and or the house. Lazy Sims need more comfort and want to lounge a lot...let them it builds comfort faster than sitting. And remember furniture matters, the points on furniture and appliances matter in TS2 and were very low in TS1...it was very hard to find any chair in TS1 that was above 3 points and then those Sims won't stay seated when commanded. At least TS2 Sims will sit until you make them stop. :)

At least 3 points mechanical before the repair anything electronic. And make sure they are in a good mood first just in case as that will keep the from dying if the get electrocuted. Raise their motives before trying again. No shame in calling the repairman either.

My upgrade order and reasons:

1. Kitchen: better appliances mean more filling meals means less chance of fire.
    2. Bedroom. Bed only and better bed means less time sleeping.
    3. Bathroom. Less time dealing with bladder and hygiene

Beyond that dependent on what else they need or want.

At least one toilet per 3 Sims. I usually only do full bathrooms and not half bathrooms so my shower to sim ratio is the same. Any fewer and you have to be more attentive as to the bladder levels.

Red hands builds fun super fast, if available. Does require some build up of a relationship.

Play without mods for some time. This let's you figure out normal game behavior based on how you play. That way you recognize a mod conflict or issue and not mistake it for regular game behavior.

Digging for treasure raises fun but will tank hygiene. Useful for easy quick money before skills are earned if you're holding off for a specific job.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2022
    Cinebar wrote: »

At least 3 points mechanical before the repair anything electronic. And make sure they are in a good mood first just in case as that will keep the from dying if the get electrocuted. Raise their motives before trying again. No shame in calling the repairman either.

My upgrade order and reasons:

1. Kitchen: better appliances mean more filling meals means less chance of fire.
    2. Bedroom. Bed only and better bed means less time sleeping.
    3. Bathroom. Less time dealing with bladder and hygiene

Beyond that dependent on what else they need or want.

At least one toilet per 3 Sims. I usually only do full bathrooms and not half bathrooms so my shower to sim ratio is the same. Any fewer and you have to be more attentive as to the bladder levels.

Red hands builds fun super fast, if available. Does require some build up of a relationship.

Play without mods for some time. This let's you figure out normal game behavior based on how you play. That way you recognize a mod conflict or issue and not mistake it for regular game behavior.

Digging for treasure raises fun but will tank hygiene. Useful for easy quick money before skills are earned if you're holding off for a specific job.

Very good. Also, hygiene tanks when doing any other physical activity, it's easy to take care of Sims who enjoy reading a book more than pitching a softball.

A Sim who isn't playful but more serious enjoys reading the paper, and books, etc. Their fun builds faster by doing these things rather than watching TV. But all Sims' fun builds faster watching the sports channel. It must be an EA thing..EA Sports..lol.

OP, Sims in TS2 won't die just from hunger, their hygiene and energy have to be depleted, too. This was not the case in TS1, hunger killed them even if they didn't have low energy and or hygiene. Different traits matter in TS2 because as I said some Sims eat more often than others but better meals and better appliances are faster and last longer.

If you are really in direstraights just maxmotives. Or go to the neighborhood screen without saving. And yes, play without any mods until you learn what trait matters and why and which Sims get along better with others depending on their interests and likes, dislikes, and or traits, etc.
    But really most Sims in TS2 get along extremely well (patched out the odds in later patches) compared to The Sims.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • clop1000clop1000 Posts: 3 New Member
    The aging system and the need are just awful. Is it even possible to play this game without mods or buy only the most expensive items in the game?

Btw what are the best mods that increase lifespan of the sims? (I want something akin to the sims3 longest lifespan, when you have time to play with your sims).
    What are the best mods that increases the needs meter?

Btw does the cheat code "Aging -off" works only for your active family? And any other preexisting sims will die?
    Won't it lead that the neighborhood will be quite empty?

How do I reset the neighborhood to its initial state? Delete game files from "My documents"?
    How do I may a backup?
    clop1000 wrote: »
    The aging system and the need are just awful. Is it even possible to play this game without mods or buy only the most expensive items in the game?

Btw what are the best mods that increase lifespan of the sims? (I want something akin to the sims3 longest lifespan, when you have time to play with your sims).
    What are the best mods that increases the needs meter?

Btw does the cheat code "Aging -off" works only for your active family? And any other preexisting sims will die?
    Won't it lead that the neighborhood will be quite empty?

How do I reset the neighborhood to its initial state? Delete game files from "My documents"?
    How do I may a backup?

Several posts in this thread deal with how to deal with motives.

It is possible to play the game without mods or buying the most expensive items in the game.

Just takes more time to manage their motives. But yes, to make things easier, you do have to work towards earning the better items in game that will fill their motives faster so that they can work on the things you want them to work on and not just fill their motives.

I've got several Sims who do manage to be successful with what I want them to do with their life, despite having cheap to medium priced items in their house. I just have to do more micromanaging in those households than I do in a more established household that has gotten a lot of expensive items.

There are several mods out there that affect the lifespan. Most just change the number of days a Sim is in a specific age group. In Sims 2 this does mean that these mods do not change the remaining days in an age group for existing Sims. Only new Sims and existing Sims will be affected AFTER they age up again. There are a handful of mods that do modify the process of the aging up that would affect existing Sims. But those mods don't properly display how many days left they have. So it depends on what you would accept. The mods that affect number of remaining days could easily be modified to mimic the Sims 3 age span - just add the YA and Adult spans in Sims 3 together for the Sims 2 Adult age.

No mods affect the length of needs meters. Which means it's likely not possible. You'll just have use motive cheats and work towards being better at managing your Sims motives. The SimBlender mod does let you set motives to full, half, or empty (among many other things) but nothing increases the length of the needs.

Aging off will only affect the house you play. Sims 2 Sims only age when you actively play them or if they are on the lot you are playing (ie: Sims visiting your lot or the same community lot your Sims are visiting are not invincible, but they won't die of old age or age up to the next age).

The ONLY exception is when you age up a playable and the prompt to age up a Sim comes up. But only townies will be in there and not other playable Sims.

The original neighborhoods - Pleasantview, Strangetown, etc, can be reset. There are instructions out there for how to reset them all over the place. You can't reset a custom neighborhood back to square one unless you delete it and make the neighborhood again.

For back up, it depends on what you are wanting to back up. But if it is your saves, that would be the folders in the Neighborhoods folder. You would just make a copy of the Neighborhoods folder and that would back up all of your saves.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top