Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In a Bad Sims Slump

I love the sims (first three anyway), but I'm having a difficult time making interesting Sims. A while ago I made a guy who I got attached to, but I find it hard to get attached to my own Sims because they tend to be boring at times. Can anyone given me advice on how to make my Sims more interesting or different, or maybe a different play style. A part of me really wants to play, but the others part can't figure a way to make interesting sims.

Comments

• PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    @elleskyheart: Do you play with the occults like aliens, werewolves, fairies? Maybe go to CAS and roll the dice for each feature and see what happens. :)
    :) Smile!

• elleskyheartelleskyheart Posts: 69 Member
    Puddinroy wrote: »
    @elleskyheart: Do you play with the occults like aliens, werewolves, fairies? Maybe go to CAS and roll the dice for each feature and see what happens. :)

Yeah, I don't mind occults. I'll give it a shot. Thanks =)
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Are there any skills or jobs, or even random activities, that you've never tried, or haven't in a while? Even if whatever it is doesn't feel as appealing as what your sims normally do, it can be a breath of fresh air for a few sim-weeks. For example, running a daycare is unlike anything else in-game; so is playing a homeless sim that you're trying to keep homeless, i.e. not rags to riches.

One of my favorite things to do is to have a sculptor sim try to furnish the house with sculptures as much as possible. (For example, not only chairs and bedside tables but sinks and toilets and whatever else they can make.) I've also been planning to have an inventor sim use the miner to put tunnels all over town, which other sims will then hopefully be able to use for adventures and to travel across the map quickly without my having to buy them all teleporters.

There are so many activities for our sims to do, pretty much every player has something they haven't tried yet.
  • elleskyheartelleskyheart Posts: 69 Member
    Are there any skills or jobs, or even random activities, that you've never tried, or haven't in a while? Even if whatever it is doesn't feel as appealing as what your sims normally do, it can be a breath of fresh air for a few sim-weeks. For example, running a daycare is unlike anything else in-game; so is playing a homeless sim that you're trying to keep homeless, i.e. not rags to riches.

One of my favorite things to do is to have a sculptor sim try to furnish the house with sculptures as much as possible. (For example, not only chairs and bedside tables but sinks and toilets and whatever else they can make.) I've also been planning to have an inventor sim use the miner to put tunnels all over town, which other sims will then hopefully be able to use for adventures and to travel across the map quickly without my having to buy them all teleporters.

There are so many activities for our sims to do, pretty much every player has something they haven't tried yet.

Woah, I never even knew about the miner stuff and the sculptor idea is cool because maybe one could make a challenge with having said sim make most of the furniture. Thanks so much.

And yeah, there are skills I haven't done along with jobs, so I should really think about which ones to go for. I'll try and do a story of some sort. I think my main problem is I tend to make sims who don't have many flaws and sometimes that can be boring.

But thanks for the ideas =). Maybe I'll also role a dice or something for random traits for the sims as well. I know some people do this to keep things interesting. Thanks again!
  • spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    You would be surprised how some of the careers can add interesting game play. I have had Island Living since it came out but just started a new save with My Sims living there and it is like a new game. I usually don't go for the careers like Conservation and Marine life but it has turned out to be really interesting and a lot of fun. I liked the Scientist Career a lot to, there are a lot of surprises in that one.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,280 Member
    spend4zen wrote: »
    You would be surprised how some of the careers can add interesting game play. I have had Island Living since it came out but just started a new save with My Sims living there and it is like a new game. I usually don't go for the careers like Conservation and Marine life but it has turned out to be really interesting and a lot of fun. I liked the Scientist Career a lot to, there are a lot of surprises in that one.

@spend4zen, the OP is having a slump in The Sims 3 game, not the Sims 4... ;)
  • wendyyi1wendyyi1 Posts: 579 Member
    edited March 2022
    I think my main problem is I tend to make sims who don't have many flaws and sometimes that can be boring.
    I used to do this too, but these days I always make sure all my sims have a 'flaw' because it makes them more interesting. Although I still can't bear to have a sim with the Hydrophobic trait (Yuck!) or Never Nude.
  • NitroglycolNitroglycol Posts: 121 Member
    edited April 2022
    A lot of the sims I create are inspired by fictional characters, real-life celebrities, or people I know/have known, and I assign names, traits, and LTWs based on that. So for instance I created sims named Devon Hando and Juliana McKenna, gave them both the Virtuoso trait, gave him Slob and Party Animal, gave her Loner and Neurotic, had them start a band called The Citrus Children, etc.
  • jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    Look up the dumpster dive challenge. Will put new life back into your gameplay.
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    I did and took a huge break from Sims(something I have greatly regretted but my computer lost all my save files) I had no time to play but I have always wanted to get back into the game.
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    Whenever I get into a slump with Sims 3 I go to the Badges that are available on mypage

https://mypage.thesims3.com/

I still haven't managed to complete all of them, and some of them I won't ever try to complete, but I've learned a lot of things I never would have thought of trying to do without reading their challenges.

I have been playing the game since June 2009 and am still finding new things to do with the game.
  • wendyyi1wendyyi1 Posts: 579 Member
    There are heaps of challenges to do. Some are a defined length and others are multi-generation.
    I'm currently doing the Around the World in 50 Days challenge.
    It's lots of fun.