Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Sterling Reputation. What are Your Thoughts. Sims Franchise.

I was thinking about The Sims and of course wanted to play TS1 as I thought about the overall gameplay, music, quirkiness and consequences.
I think most of us who have played since 2001 hold it dear to our hearts.

However, looking over the entire franchise and what has been gained and lost over these past twenty years, what are your thoughts of how Maxis can regain it's well known and sterling reputation of building the best loved game of all time?

I have liked all the versions. TS1 holds a special place because of the things I stated. And also because of the difficulty and consequences if I didn't take care of my little people living inside my pc.

TS2 was probably my favorite as I was so impressed with 3D, deeper personalities, improvements and newfangled ways to build and of course freedom to placed lots and remove lots without the hinderance of TS1's system of building hoods.

I was actually very impressed with open world in TS3, I won't ever forget the trailer and ad about stepping outside the Sim door...that was a great trailer. And I really enjoyed CASt and CAW.

TS4, I was impressed with many of the mechanics of how things work in that game, some multitasking, and not so impressed with other multitasking (it's main features).

However, as time has gone on, I think about what raves and reviews TS1 received and yes, Maxis had a sterling reputation with TS1 and it was called the most loved game of all time. (And best selling at the time).

I have enjoyed all these games, but some more than others. TS3 and TS4 not being the ones I played most, but enough to understand (years) things changed along the way and sometimes for everything that is gained there is always something lost. Such as consequences for a player's choice, or creativity freedom to place lots wherever you like in a world, and or the risk the Sim faces if the player doesn't pay all that much attention to them, that wasn't a good idea in the beginning of this franchise. And frankly why I was so invested in keeping my favorites alive.

I'm at a point I feel the franchise has suffered it's reputation because it's status quo now, to expect major bugs with everything released, with a shrug of the shoulders. It's status quo for us to no longer be all that dazzled by content (cough, kits), it's just expected these days there won't be a fast, emergency patch if there is a bug discovered. (Yes, that has been going on the past ten or more years)

It's common place now to place more value on CAS assets (kits, clutter patches, and stuff packs) than on any new, sparkling, dazzling, EP. Full of a new world, new, deep gameplay, new things to do, so many you are still playing that EP a year later to get to everything in it, and or even more than one world in it, and new socials, new animations of those socials, and new ways for Sims to have to overcome any consequences. It's all fluff these days in my humble opinion if I look back to TS1 and some of the other EPs in the others.

What should or could Maxis do to bring back the magic of The Sims to many of us who feel a bit jaded, and unfortunately because there hasn't been that much of a leap in technology, graphics, gameplay, depth, new innovations, etc. what could they do to bring back the sparkle in Simmers eyes like the first time you loaded up Magic Town, and or the first time you saw how to build a deck, and or the first time you saw a Sim could drive all the way across a map and you could ride along (camera control) and or the first time you realized your Sim died because you didn't know playing with a tiny rocket would land on their head. (lol)

I hope Maxis thinks about their sterling reputation of gameplay, the magic and dazzle and depth of its franchise and remembers only they can make it possible.
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited March 2022
    If I look at other game franchises and how they have gotten better, it has mostly come down to finding a formula that works, and then build on it. Call of Duty got a huge boost when Infinity Ward made Modern Warfare, which then also resulted in Warzone. Sony got a huge boost with their first party titles like God of War, Ghost of Tsushima etc.

I feel that has often been an issue with the sims, Maxis haven't really found a formula that works really well, there is always something missing, or things are not working as well as they should, they have to spend a lot of time reworking things or patching things or improving things etc.

I think that they need to find a good base and establish what works, and what doesn't, and then build on that. I'm hoping with Maxis next game that they are getting enough time and resources to make something that fans want and that they also can build upon, we shouldn't have to wonder about ghosts, pools, toddlers, ladders, bunk beds etc. The game should support these things from the beginning or not be difficult for Maxis to make so that they could really build something good that fans want, while at the same time pleasing EA's shareholders.

If they manage to do that, then I think that The Sims could grow into a large franchise.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    edited March 2022
    IMO, Will Wright and Lucy Bradshaw are the single two most impactful and talented people who have worked on the Sims franchise. Both have long departed.

I'm not a fan of the leadership in charge of the Sims right now, including the VP of Franchise Creative, Lyndsay. In interviews, she's made it clear she has a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach to video game development.

(I'm referring here to the way she describes TS3 and TS4 base games in interviews; she's said things like "I didn't like this in the previous game, so I wanted to try out this." It's SO casual, as if making a tweak to the base game formula isn't going to have a cataclysmic effect on the entire generation of the game. It appears aimless to me.)

This helps contextualize the dramatic see-sawing of included features and design choices when you compare the base games of Sims 2, 3, and 4.

Post edited by simmerorigin on
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I hope Maxis thinks about their sterling reputation of gameplay, the magic and dazzle and depth of its franchise and remembers only they can make it possible.

Electronic Arts might have something to say about that.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited March 2022
    Just mho, but I totally agree with @Simmerorigin, regarding the importance of specifically who is in charge of various aspects of the franchise. And, personally, I don't think that is likely to happen as long as they are part of EA. That kind of leadership with vision isn't something you see a lot of under the EA umbrella, and when you do it is almost always due to an acquisition with the person leaving within a few years of the acquisition occurring.

The reason is simple, EA's formula for financial gain is not something that really lends itself to people who are more visionary than status quo and the corporate culture suffocates the type of person that can deliver it.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I mean Will Wright is making games with nfts and play to earn systems rn so Im glad he's not doing that bs with the sims franchise lol
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    In terms of a formula that works EA/Maxis need look no further than TS1 & TS2. They worked spectacularly. The foundation is laid, build on it with the same passion and spirit.

Fully agree with both @Simmerorigin and @Stormkeep.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2022

Electronic Arts might have something to say about that.

I think the challenge is on Maxis, not EA. EA doesn't tell Maxis what sort of pack to build, nor how many cas assets to add, nor what type of gameplay to apply, such as linear and or sandbox. EA doesn't tell Maxis what free patches should include content and or just a challenge for players, nor do they tell them no you can't make one pack work with another. They might tell them hey, we've made a contract with this celeb so produce some products with this celeb etc. however, it's totally up to Maxis to show EA their 'vision' of what they are doing and whether EA wants to produce another game. It's almost like a publisher of books who tells their writer, here's the contract now fill it with twenty books. It really is all up to Maxis of what sort of books they would be writing.

ETA: I get what you are saying, yes, It's EA's money and if they weren't publishing Maxis' games, then yeah, you are right.
    However, I think The Sims was produced by EA wasn't it? And they had a budget and they had deadlines and they had problems and like any other game they had a challenge to build something spectacular and they did. It's really sad there hasn't really been any new innovation for this series in a very long time, years. In my opinion I feel like the innovation stopped with multitasking and maybe an easier way to build in TS4 however, not much to see after that type of innovation that the other games didn't do, too.

I mean The Sims was huge and in it they innovated a Sim leaving the lot (finally) and going to a community lot in EPs. In TS2 they jumped from 2D to 3D, and added generational play, a huge leap forward. They also innovated weather, drivable cars and even a bigger innovation of how to build and manipulate land formations. Just a few things that came along with TS2. In TS3 they innovated open worlds, a CASt system and so much more. In TS4 they innovated (but not really only expanded) multitasking (it's main selling feature). There hasn't been very much in the last several years that actually dazzled and blew people's minds like in the past. (Concerning innovation).
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    EA has owned Maxis since 1997, so yes, they were the parent company all the way back to the Original TS1, @Cinebar. THey aren't just the publisher, they are the parent company. I blame EA more than Maxis for alot of the misteps that the franchise has taken along the way, but it is indeed fair to point out that they have always had a say in things for the franchise since the beginning.

It's not at all accurate to say that everything is up to Maxis, though. With in-house studios, which is what Maxis is (actually several studios under the Maxis division umbrella) management of the parent company is involved to some degree in the entire process. The extent of that involvement largely depends on the parent company's culture and management philosophies.
    But ultimately, when they can fire and replace anyone they choose all the way up to the top level at Maxis, they definitely have a ton of influence.

Also, because they are the parent company, it's natural for the "company culture" to permeate throughout. That takes time though, and is why i blame EA more than Maxis. The culture of EA was not the same as the culture of Maxis originally, and it took time for EA's culture to permeate Maxis after the acquisition. What we see now is the final result of that. Especially considering for a time Maxis studios was dissolved completely before being reformed within EA...what we have now is just the name and logo, nothing of the original studio remains.
  • Options
    PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
    In terms of a formula that works EA/Maxis need look no further than TS1 & TS2. They worked spectacularly. The foundation is laid, build on it with the same passion and spirit.

Fully agree with both @Simmerorigin and @Stormkeep.

I agree that Sims 1 and Sims 2 have been the best. I don't dislike the Sims 3 or the Sims 4 but whenever playing them, I was always thinking back to the Sims 1 & 2 and how it was done better then.

The Sims 1 was not that easy to play in the beginning. I found it particularly hard to make friendships in the Sims 1 due to the interests. If you didn't chat about the same interests as the other Sim the relationship would be getting minus points. This was the very first time I installed a mod to help with that because it did impact my game quite a lot and was very annoying. Of course, like all the Sims games once new EP's came along everything became easier and better. I enjoyed the challenges with Sims 1 as most thing conspired to make your Sims life a little harder LOL.

I used to enjoy the cut videos in the Sims 2, like getting a first kiss, woohoo in the hot tub and getting a degree at the end of university to mention a few. I liked how we had the burglar coming along and trying to fight him/her or if a burglar alarm was installed the police would turn up. I like how sending a newly made Sim to University and being able to take them on vacation while at Uni, either for the experience or just to acquire more skills. Finding out about the Secret Society and being taken under the cover of night LOL. University has never been the same in the Sims 3 and Sims 4. In fact, I find it quite boring and rarely send my Sims there in the Sims 4. And when our Sims hit rock bottom how the Social Bunny would come along and pick them up and dust them off LOL. Being able to play instruments as a band was also great fun and very funny when people had no skills. There was so much to make the game as I wanted.

And of course, my favourite pack in the Sims 2 was Open for Business. We could almost sell anything. I had a great deal of fun with that pack and making all kinds of businesses. How customers would throw down their bags when impatient because the person working at the till was inexperienced. To me all these little things added to the fun of playing.

I loved how we could customize things in the Sims 3 like furniture and clothing. The cars and other transport were fantastic. I did feel the open world a little too overwhelming and I wouldn't be able to play if that was ever re-introduced. Gardening and Fishing was also great in the Sims 3 as was the World Adventures Pack. I loved how we could forage and go and pick crops from other Sim's gardens.

I feel I go through the motions when playing the Sims 4 these days. I want to find out all the game has to offer but most of the time my Sims are happy people and even when getting moodlets that are not good they are often offset by all the good ones so has no real impact. I feel that the special places to explore (ie grottos) in the Sims 4 were a let-down, as are the bugs that constantly appear in the game and never seem to get fixed or get fixed then become broken with a new pack introduced. It means I have to go and find a mod to fix it so I can play that aspect of the game. I feel the Sims 4 has lost its fun aspect and spontaneity in terms of not seeing things that previously would happen in the games before, especially with the non playing Sims on community lots.

I do wonder about those making the content how much they have previously played Sims 1, 2, 3 and 4 to compare. Do they understand how long-term Simmers like myself are passionate about the game. I understand how they may not want to replicate the same things over and over and try out new things, but there are some things that are classic, like some interactions, true NPC's or townies and certain gameplay. Why it is decided they should not be put into a new game beggars belief to me. If it isn't broke don't fix it unless of course it's a major bug!

• Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    EA has owned Maxis since 1997, so yes, they were the parent company all the way back to the Original TS1, @Cinebar. THey aren't just the publisher, they are the parent company. I blame EA more than Maxis for alot of the misteps that the franchise has taken along the way, but it is indeed fair to point out that they have always had a say in things for the franchise since the beginning.

It's not at all accurate to say that everything is up to Maxis, though. With in-house studios, which is what Maxis is (actually several studios under the Maxis division umbrella) management of the parent company is involved to some degree in the entire process. The extent of that involvement largely depends on the parent company's culture and management philosophies.
    But ultimately, when they can fire and replace anyone they choose all the way up to the top level at Maxis, they definitely have a ton of influence.

Also, because they are the parent company, it's natural for the "company culture" to permeate throughout. That takes time though, and is why i blame EA more than Maxis. The culture of EA was not the same as the culture of Maxis originally, and it took time for EA's culture to permeate Maxis after the acquisition. What we see now is the final result of that. Especially considering for a time Maxis studios was dissolved completely before being reformed within EA...what we have now is just the name and logo, nothing of the original studio remains.

I completely agree with your post. If Maxis had the freedom and proper financial backing it needed, I'm pretty sure they would have come out with a better The Sims 4 like they did with the previous games in the series. The previous leadership at EA that brought us the best games in the early 2000s helped produced TS1-TS3. You started seeing the difference in the last few expansions of TS3 when the old leadership left and the new leadership came in.

Every EA game except for a few games like the Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (which I LOVE - if any of you haven't played it yet and love actions games, YOU SHOULD GET IT!!!) and It Takes Two (fantastic co-op game with wonderful story and puzzles), have been a total flop because of bugs and lack of features, etc. Take for example Battlefield 2042 that I was so looking forward to, which turned out to be a crap game at launch and even now is still bug-infested and still missing a lot of features that previous games in the series had. Sounds familiar to The Sims 4.

I've pretty much given up on Maxis and the future of The Sims series (voted that way in the other thread with that poll) because of EA. I feel bad for the few original devs still in Maxis (even though, yes, they are well-compensated in salary and position, but still). There are videos on YouTube on their The Sims channel about the launch of The Sims 3 back in the day. They were so happy and proud of that game!

The Sims 3 - Behind the Scenes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouH0G6-wK9g

I'm not as upset as I used to be though. I've found other genres of games that I've come to enjoy:
    • Action adventures games like the Tomb Raider series and Hitman series (the latest trilogy is AMAZING!!!)
    • Shooter games like the Borderlands series (am anticipating the release of a new spin-off called Tiny Tina's Wonderlands!)
    • Survival games like Dysmantle and Subnautica (lots of exploration, resource gathering, crafting, fending off enemies - surprisingly addictive to me!)
    • Farming/Harvest Moon type of games like My Time at Portia and Stardew Valley (very relaxing and just enjoyable to develop relationships of the townspeople in the games!)

BUT this all happened because I was so unhappy with The Sims 4 and it's DLCs, and how EA and Maxis were handling its production, and how they've treated the simming community. It's gotten to the point where I don't trust EA anymore (not just because of TS4, but the other games they've released under this leadership) and felt I needed to expand to other genres so that I wouldn't be so dependent on just The Sims games like I did before.

So as I had said before, I totally agree with you that this is more EA's fault than it is Maxis.

• Options
    edited March 2022

I completely agree with your post. If Maxis had the freedom and proper financial backing it needed, I'm pretty sure they would have come out with a better The Sims 4 like they did with the previous games in the series. The previous leadership at EA that brought us the best games in the early 2000s helped produced TS1-TS3. You started seeing the difference in the last few expansions of TS3 when the old leadership left and the new leadership came in.

Every EA game except for a few games like the Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (which I LOVE - if any of you haven't played it yet and love actions games, YOU SHOULD GET IT!!!) and It Takes Two (fantastic co-op game with wonderful story and puzzles), have been a total flop because of bugs and lack of features, etc. Take for example Battlefield 2042 that I was so looking forward to, which turned out to be a crap game at launch and even now is still bug-infested and still missing a lot of features that previous games in the series had. Sounds familiar to The Sims 4.

I've pretty much given up on Maxis and the future of The Sims series (voted that way in the other thread with that poll) because of EA. I feel bad for the few original devs still in Maxis (even though, yes, they are well-compensated in salary and position, but still). There are videos on YouTube on their The Sims channel about the launch of The Sims 3 back in the day. They were so happy and proud of that game!

The Sims 3 - Behind the Scenes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouH0G6-wK9g

I'm not as upset as I used to be though. I've found other genres of games that I've come to enjoy:
    • Action adventures games like the Tomb Raider series and Hitman series (the latest trilogy is AMAZING!!!)
    • Shooter games like the Borderlands series (am anticipating the release of a new spin-off called Tiny Tina's Wonderlands!)
    • Survival games like Dysmantle and Subnautica (lots of exploration, resource gathering, crafting, fending off enemies - surprisingly addictive to me!)
    • Farming/Harvest Moon type of games like My Time at Portia and Stardew Valley (very relaxing and just enjoyable to develop relationships of the townspeople in the games!)

BUT this all happened because I was so unhappy with The Sims 4 and it's DLCs, and how EA and Maxis were handling its production, and how they've treated the simming community. It's gotten to the point where I don't trust EA anymore (not just because of TS4, but the other games they've released under this leadership) and felt I needed to expand to other genres so that I wouldn't be so dependent on just The Sims games like I did before.

So as I had said before, I totally agree with you that this is more EA's fault than it is Maxis.

I don't know, did EA make the plan to build kits instead of stuff packs, and or did EA make the decision it was ok to release a wedding pack with that many obvious bugs? GPs are usually planned and worked on for about a year, right? I'm not in the camp that blames every little thing on EA. And I will go back to one point I made in the thread, the past games had a budget too, and look at what all they were able to accomplish. And it was probably for less pay and more hours and less money in a budget than would be required today. I think it's Maxis' vision rather than EA's.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2022
    I don't know, did EA make the plan to build kits instead of stuff packs, and or did EA make the decision it was ok to release a wedding pack with that many obvious bugs? GPs are usually planned and worked on for about a year, right? I'm not in the camp that blames every little thing on EA. And I will go back to one point I made in the thread, the past games had a budget too, and look at what all they were able to accomplish. And it was probably for less pay and more hours and less money in a budget than would be required today. I think it's Maxis' vision rather than EA's.

I get the impression that they're given a smaller budget from EA that's not comparable to what they had for previous games. And because of this, Maxis has to figure out how to stretch that budget. Which shows in the quantity and quality of their DLC output. It's like they don't have enough money so that they end up adding less items in upcoming releases. And it's like they don't have enough money so they can quality check the packs before they are released. It also appears that they don't have enough people hired to fix the ever growing pile of bugs - they're always so way behind it!

As I had already mentioned before, EA's influence is also reflected in the other poorly produced games that were recently released by its other game studios. These game studios had produced amazing games under the old EA leadership, but not since the new took over. So it's not so much the game studio as it is EA.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    I don't know, did EA make the plan to build kits instead of stuff packs, and or did EA make the decision it was ok to release a wedding pack with that many obvious bugs?

Most likely, yes, they were involved by setting profitability targets that were required. Maxis management gets their bonuses and salary increases based on what EA management sets for their goals. This is a fact because that's how organizational charts work. The heads of a division of a company report directly to the big wigs of the parent company. Thus, the decisions of chasing profit with Kits is undoubtedly tied to EA management.

And yes, EA most likely did make the decision to have Maxis push out the wedding pack with that many obvious bugs, because they had a fiscal period ending and wanted those profits on the books before the end of the period.

This is basic management stuff. Anyone who has ever worked in any corporation at a management level knows this stuff.

And, ultimately, Maxis is EA. They are a division of EA. Their top management was appointed by EA. So even if no one above the divisional level was involved with any of this (which I seriously doubt), the fact that Maxis has decision makers making those decisions is directly the result of who EA put in charge there. EA has a history of destroying the creativity of studios which they absorb. The history speaks for itself.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I don't know, did EA make the plan to build kits instead of stuff packs, and or did EA make the decision it was ok to release a wedding pack with that many obvious bugs?

Most likely, yes, they were involved by setting profitability targets that were required. Maxis management gets their bonuses and salary increases based on what EA management sets for their goals. This is a fact because that's how organizational charts work. The heads of a division of a company report directly to the big wigs of the parent company. Thus, the decisions of chasing profit with Kits is undoubtedly tied to EA management.

And yes, EA most likely did make the decision to have Maxis push out the wedding pack with that many obvious bugs, because they had a fiscal period ending and wanted those profits on the books before the end of the period.

This is basic management stuff. Anyone who has ever worked in any corporation at a management level knows this stuff.

And, ultimately, Maxis is EA. They are a division of EA. Their top management was appointed by EA. So even if no one above the divisional level was involved with any of this (which I seriously doubt), the fact that Maxis has decision makers making those decisions is directly the result of who EA put in charge there. EA has a history of destroying the creativity of studios which they absorb. The history speaks for itself.

I have been in management positions (not gaming industry) and yes, corporations push a business model for sure, however, most of what you have said flies in the face of what those in very high positions in the past at EA and at Maxis have ever said about how much freedom Maxis does have and what ideas they get to do or not. EA isn't actually involved in any of the day to day direction of The Sims as much as some believe. Take the design of the newest kit to drop soon, you are right probably, EA probably loves kits and maybe pushed for them, however, the design of the newest one is all about oversized flower wallpaper among other things. To me it looks like someone doesn't know how to size wallpaper for the size of a Sim. Much like the wrong paper chosen for a dollhouse. Too large compared to a Sim head and body. I used to avoid cc that someone didn't size correctly in correlation with the Sim. But that's just my opinion of the new wallpapers. The point I'm making is, EA probably had nothing to do with what Maxis planned for a new kit nor the size of wallpapers.
    That's what this game has become, instead of a sterling reputation of almost bug free objects and interactions to overflowing with bugs and things like eyesore wallpapers.

But that's sort of getting off topic, I hope the next game and or even this game takes a large leap in technology and innovation that we haven't seen since the end of TS3.
  • Options
    MrCaptainPantsMrCaptainPants Posts: 9 New Member
    As far as I was concerned, The Sims franchise *had* a great reputation... until they blew it by not apologizing for releasing My Wedding Stories in its unplayable condition.

For me, the reputation of a franchise can be ruined not by the mistakes it makes, but rather how it handles those mistakes in the aftermath. Sweeping everything under the rug without issuing a "Hey, we really messed up here, and we apologize" letter to the community has SEVERELY tarnished their reputation in my eyes.

A company with a level of hubris that does not allow them to admit fault and demonstrate enough respect for their customers to earnestly apologize is not a company that earns my loyalty or my financial support. I am so disappointed. I really thought better of them. And I thought that they thought better of US. 😕
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,398 Member
    edited March 2022
    As far as I was concerned, The Sims franchise *had* a great reputation... until they blew it by not apologizing for releasing My Wedding Stories in its unplayable condition.

For me, the reputation of a franchise can be ruined not by the mistakes it makes, but rather how it handles those mistakes in the aftermath. Sweeping everything under the rug without issuing a "Hey, we really messed up here, and we apologize" letter to the community has SEVERELY tarnished their reputation in my eyes.

A company with a level of hubris that does not allow them to admit fault and demonstrate enough respect for their customers to earnestly apologize is not a company that earns my loyalty or my financial support. I am so disappointed. I really thought better of them. And I thought that they thought better of US. 😕

It's the EA-ification of the Maxis Studio. I'm not here to hate on EA just for being EA. But it's the bureaucracy of a Fortune 500 company that results in extreme outbound communication control.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options

I think a lot of us have felt that way for a very long time. I'm not one who thinks EA said go ahead and release that buggy, messed up, tragically subpar pack. The problem to me is many will accept the patch and thank Maxis for their hard work, and yes, it must have been a huge undertaking to fix some of it. However, I think this live service thing has broken Maxis reputation to the point we buy now, fix later with everything they have been doing for the past seven years. Just as much as MS woke up to the fact people were extremely unhappy with the live service of Windows 10 and it wasn't a good thing for an operating system to have to be constantly updated, and why some of their ITs are saying why they moved on to Windows 11, because live service of Windows 10 as a 'service', I think Maxis should really think about what live service has done to their reputation, of buy now, fix later. Because it's been an ongoing thing for several years of bugs and missteps. Profitable yes, but the reputation as a buggy, cash grab, gaming company has become all to real.