Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we please have a sexual preference option?

Comments

• Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member

crocobaura wrote: »
    I think the sexual non-discrimination is deliberate. It promotes the free love, LGBTQ and transsexual communities they have been otherwise actively promoting. I am more bothered by the fact that my sims get an automatic pink bar with whichever sim decides to do a random declaration of love. Some of those sims my sims hardly knew, being smooched when they hardly knew them is considered assault nowadays, not love.

It sounded like you were equating indiscriminate woohoo with being LGBTQ because you lumped them together as bolded above, and then proposed "So, maybe it's a lazy way to code relationships in game and not a desire to include LGBTQ representation but the fact remains that sims do not discriminate and have an anything goes approach to relationships."

How could it be or not be, a desire to include LGBTQ representation, unless you thought LGBTQ representation was connected with indiscriminate woohoo? Anyway, you seemed to be saying that wasn't your intention, and I am not moralizing for or against polyamory or monogamy myself, just pointing out that polyamory has nothing to do with whether someone is straight, so representing LGBTQ people isn't the same thing as promoting or representing polyamory.

The game does ignore orientation and relationship status and treats all Sims like interchangeable parts, which is annoying to most everyone because if your Sim is in a relationship, other sims don't seem to recognize or respect that.

It does need some kind of solution, but that's not about LGBTQ representation, more like lack of memory, consequences, or any way to have a Sim act like their actual supposed description, whether it's traits that don't matter, or orientation that doesn't matter.

Gay, straight, or Pan, there's hardly any point in Sims getting wed in the first place because they act just as unattached as they did when single, regardless. It's a larger problem, that nothing literally matters with Sims4 sims and it makes them boring or impossible to get immersion with.

You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,383 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I think the sexual non-discrimination is deliberate. It promotes the free love, LGBTQ and transsexual communities they have been otherwise actively promoting. I am more bothered by the fact that my sims get an automatic pink bar with whichever sim decides to do a random declaration of love. Some of those sims my sims hardly knew, being smooched when they hardly knew them is considered assault nowadays, not love.

It sounded like you were equating indiscriminate woohoo with being LGBTQ because you lumped them together as bolded above, and then proposed "So, maybe it's a lazy way to code relationships in game and not a desire to include LGBTQ representation but the fact remains that sims do not discriminate and have an anything goes approach to relationships."

How could it be or not be, a desire to include LGBTQ representation, unless you thought LGBTQ representation was connected with indiscriminate woohoo? Anyway, you seemed to be saying that wasn't your intention, and I am not moralizing for or against polyamory or monogamy myself, just pointing out that polyamory has nothing to do with whether someone is straight, so representing LGBTQ people isn't the same thing as promoting or representing polyamory.

The game does ignore orientation and relationship status and treats all Sims like interchangeable parts, which is annoying to most everyone because if your Sim is in a relationship, other sims don't seem to recognize or respect that.

It does need some kind of solution, but that's not about LGBTQ representation, more like lack of memory, consequences, or any way to have a Sim act like their actual supposed description, whether it's traits that don't matter, or orientation that doesn't matter.

Gay, straight, or Pan, there's hardly any point in Sims getting wed in the first place because they act just as unattached as they did when single, regardless. It's a larger problem, that nothing literally matters with Sims4 sims and it makes them boring or impossible to get immersion with.

Well, the indiscriminate woohoo does allow for all the range of sexual orientations including LGBTQ. If sims were discriminate then some would not have been possible. A straight sim would not accept woohoo advances from a same sex sim same as a gay sim would not accept woohoo advances from an opposite sex sim. As it currently is, there are no real straight or gay sims, in fact all are by default bisexuals. I am not equating the indiscriminate woohoo with being LGBTQ, merely stating a fact of how the game is coded, and it affects all sims in the same way.
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    Love is too free right now and there are no really loyal sims. I really hope relationships and love overall gets an overhaul.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I just want a loyalty trait in the reward store. So that no matter how hard someone flirts with your sim they will always stay loyal to their partner. Sims will get flirty with anyone and that always annoyed me.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,841 Member
    edited March 2022
    shellbeme wrote: »
    Love is too free right now and there are no really loyal sims. I really hope relationships and love overall gets an overhaul.
    I just want a loyalty trait in the reward store. So that no matter how hard someone flirts with your sim they will always stay loyal to their partner. Sims will get flirty with anyone and that always annoyed me.

If you don't mind using mods there is one from chingyu available for free on Patreon that has CAS and Rewards Store traits for loyalty and committed, among other things. And they work. Your sims won't flirt or do any romantic interactions with anyone but their partner.

Chingyu Faithfulness Mod
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I would love to have gender preference in my game, tried to do a bachelor, bacherlorette in my game and all the contestants went after one another. Had to make them all related. so dumb. I gave up.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    I think we need:
    1. We define whether the sim is LGBTQ or not. Then the Sim will reject the flirting of someone they are not attracted to.
    2. The attractiveness system - let's determine who likes our Sim (back, body structure, eyes, hair etc.).
    3. Traits affect who the Sim likes, eg a materialist will like a Sim who has a good job and a lot of money.
    4. Sims will more often flirt with attractive people, but reject flirting from those who are unattractive.

I think it's logical and the game would be much more interesting.

I've found that premade marriages and Sims you bring into the game as a couple will be easier to flirt with each other. I do this: I bring marriage into the game, "divorce them" through MCCC, then give "forget all relationships" and then it's much easier to flirt because the Sims "remember" that they were a couple.
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • Options
    AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member

I think it's a pity to lose space for a trait. If there was an attraction system, you can make pairs that will please each other 100% and then they will reject flirting from less attractive Sims.

Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • Options
    hely0thely0t Posts: 345 Member
    When I began playing Sims4 again this year, I wondered why this wasn't a thing. I like that Sims are pretty much all pansexual/omnisexual, but to have the option to have a set sexuality for them would be nice, and gender identity.

But I can see that causing people to start asking "but what about this orientation and that gender identity".
    "You've got a face, I've got a face, it's all gonna be alright." - Noel Fielding
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited April 2022
    Wait.... is the Neighborhood Stories thing causing sims to establish random romantic relationships while you're not playing them?? And you can't even turn this option off?? :s

Look, I'm neither straight nor gay, I am aro-ace, and so are several of my sims, so the thought of returning to their households only to find out the game has hooked them up with any rando sims at all would just be.. No. Bad. Stop. That's not in character. Get rid of that pink bar THIS INSTANT. You're not attracted to ANYONE.

I also have gay sims who should absolutely not be flirting with sims of the other gender. And I have sims who are bi, who I'm more lax about. Unless they already have a partner. Then it's still bad. No sims that I'm playing should be allowed to cheat on their partner while I'm not looking.
    And if I had any sims I specifically thought of as straight, it would be weird if they started going for sims of the same gender too. I get it. If you have a specific identity in mind for your sim, it is always jarring when they randomly start acting completely out of character.

So yeah, we definitely need a way to lock in every played sim's orientation. I think this is one thing the LGBTQA+ community and the straight folks can agree on. Even my straight brother brought this up once.

Random townies and some premades can still have undetermined orientations, and that would be fine to me. Allows for more player stories. I also don't mind knowing what the townies get up to, that's just fun. But I do draw the line at my own personal sims who already have lore and their own stories going on.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    Aericia wrote: »

I think it's a pity to lose space for a trait. If there was an attraction system, you can make pairs that will please each other 100% and then they will reject flirting from less attractive Sims.

Yea i wouldn't want it taking up space that's why I said reward store trait you can buy with those sim points. They give your Sims traits without taking up space. I wonder though if a sim sees another sim that matches their attraction preference atleast 90% would they flirt with them....
  • Options

If you don't mind using mods there is one from chingyu available for free on Patreon that has CAS and Rewards Store traits for loyalty and committed, among other things. And they work. Your sims won't flirt or do any romantic interactions with anyone but their partner.

Chingyu Faithfulness Mod

Thank you I'll look for this!! 😃
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    Wait.... is the Neighborhood Stories thing causing sims to establish random romantic relationships while you're not playing them?? And you can't even turn this option off?? :s

Look, I'm neither straight nor gay, I am aro-ace, and so are several of my sims, so the thought of returning to their households only to find out the game has hooked them up with any rando sims at all would just be.. No. Bad. Stop. That's not in character. Get rid of that pink bar THIS INSTANT. You're not attracted to ANYONE.

I also have gay sims who should absolutely not be flirting with sims of the other gender. And I have sims who are bi, who I'm more lax about. Unless they already have a partner. Then it's still bad. No sims that I'm playing should be allowed to cheat on their partner while I'm not looking.
    And if I had any sims I specifically thought of as straight, it would be weird if they started going for sims of the same gender too. I get it. If you have a specific identity in mind for your sim, it is always jarring when they randomly start acting completely out of character.

So yeah, we definitely need a way to lock in every played sim's orientation. I think this is one thing the LGBTQA+ community and the straight folks can agree on. Even my straight brother brought this up once.

Random townies and some premades can still have undetermined orientations, and that would be fine to me. Allows for more player stories. I also don't mind knowing what the townies get up to, that's just fun. But I do draw the line at my own personal sims who already have lore and their own stories going on.

This post describes my feelings exactly. We need the opportunity to set our sims' preferences and have it stick.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited April 2022
    sims 4 sims a sexual preference its already in the code you pick it by having them flirt thats how the wishing well knows what your sim would like I only know about this because the well was bugged and I was asked to use a mod to see if my sim was gay he was not but the well thought he was.
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    sims 4 sims a sexual preference its already in the code you pick it by having them flirt thats how the wishing well knows what your sim would like I only know about this because the well was bugged and I was asked to use a mod to see if my sim was gay he was not but the well thought he was.

That may be, but it doesn't stick. If Sims are in a group conversation and one flirts with another, the other Sims will also get flirty and suddenly everyone has a romance bar to each other. And sometimes the game will do weird things with romantic relationships while I'm playing a different household. It's not an efficient system.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited April 2022
    LiELF wrote: »

That may be, but it doesn't stick. If Sims are in a group conversation and one flirts with another, the other Sims will also get flirty and suddenly everyone has a romance bar to each other. And sometimes the game will do weird things with romantic relationships while I'm playing a different household. It's not an efficient system.

Group chats are very frustrating! Why do they all become flirty?

It’s very difficult to have a conversation with a particular Sim within a group.

No it’s not an efficient system.

Bob Pancakes always has a new romance going when I come back to play him. How is managing to woo all kinds of different Sims? 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️😂

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited April 2022
    Does anyone here understand the ratings system? Perhaps an overt tag for sexual preferences might knock the game out of its T rating?

Hm. I just realized how poorly my questions were worded. I'll try again:

I have no idea how the ratings system works. Does anyone here know anything about it? Could it be possible that an overt sexual preference option might change the game's rating from a T for teen to something more adult?
    Post edited by Cynna on
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Honestly, they need a full blown attraction system.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2022
    I wanted to add this to the previous thoughts. The decision to not put sexual orientation in the game may be fueled by not wanting to deal with wave after wave of frivolous lawsuits from parents and activists wanting that stuff banned.

I seriously doubt adding the preference in CAS is against any law in the US. The Sim decides the preference when you make the Sim flirt with another Sim. That usually sets it, but in TS4, all Sims will be attracted to all Sims. This has nothing to do with anything taboo, but the lack of Maxis willingness to allow players to set their Sim's preference in stone. It could be a minor (small) problem in other countries but not in the USA, because we already try to set it, through gameplay and that only works temporarily because Maxis has not tweaked it enough, or doesn't want to tweak it enough to make it stick even if a whole crowd around your Sim is flirty. The problem is Maxis' failure to listen to forum users.

I think they think it would hurt players' Sims who want to be sexual preference fluid. But the problem with that is it affects other players who have made up their minds of which gender they will want their Sims to prefer.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    OribaOriba Posts: 41 Member
    Agreed!
  • Options
    Nah, they have added the ability to make your sim trans, so there is nothing keeping them from adding the ability to have a romantic interest preference. The sims teams has shown, pack after pack, that they are not afraid of making a statement on sexuality so I can not see this being any different.

I want my lesbians, lesbians, my gays gays, my straight people straight. I want to be able to set it up in my game, for my own emersion, just like if I want a trans character, I have the ability to set that up.
  • Options
    Nah, they have added the ability to make your sim trans, so there is nothing keeping them from adding the ability to have a romantic interest preference. The sims teams has shown, pack after pack, that they are not afraid of making a statement on sexuality so I can not see this being any different.

I want my lesbians, lesbians, my gays gays, my straight people straight. I want to be able to set it up in my game, for my own emersion, just like if I want a trans character, I have the ability to set that up.

I totally agree with you or were you disagreeing with @Cinebar?
  • Options

I wasn't really disagreeing with anyone, just putting in my two cents.. :) for whatever it's worth!

• Options

I wasn't really disagreeing with anyone, just putting in my two cents.. :) for whatever it's worth!

Your opinion is worth more than two cents.😀
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    It’s really hard to lock a sim down for no attraction, so I would appreciate that option. It doesn’t matter if you don’t initiate the romantic interactions, some townie in a flirty mood will mess it up. I had to waste a trait slot on “unflirty,” mod out autonomous flirting, and a few other things to keep two of my sims unromantic.