Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Morale is Rock Bottom? How do you feel about the state of the Sims

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    My morale is rock bottom. I'm continually disappointed, and I question if things will improve
    I've given up and stopped waiting and hoping for a new iteration that will be great. I don't care anymore basically. I'm just here to promote The Sims 3 occasionally. It's still a great game - still supremely playable and can be played in so many ways!

Screenshot-204.jpg

I'm playing Gearbox's Tiny Tina's Wonderlands right now which I actually pre-ordered! Something I hadn't done in YEARS! It is SO MUCH FUN and hardly has any bugs from Day 1!!!

There's also been a lot of other simulation/survival games that while not quite life simulation games are still pretty fun. The key thing is to expand your interests. Try other genres of video games and you might end up liking these others so that you're not as upset about the plight of The Sims series or so dependent on it that you buy its packs even though you really don't want to. You no longer need to settle for it when you have other options!

• simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    My morale is low. It's going to take significant work by EA and The Sims to get me satisfied and trusting the team again
    I think they should forget about sims 5 and keep sims 4 running, with a more permanent crew so theres continuity.

What if EA/Maxis kept Sims 1 going on forever? Nobody would have aging or toddlers.

What if EA/Maxis kept Sims 2 going on forever and ever? Nobody would have open world or Create-a-Style.

What if EA/Maxis kept Sims 3 going no forever and ever? You would not of gotten to enjoy the experience of Sims 4.

And just imagine how buggy and unplayable Sims 4 will become if it keeps going on forever and ever. Just imagine how many people will stop supporting Sims 4 and move on to Paralives. Sims 4 was built on an engine that was never meant to last very long-just look at all the bugs,glitches and issues that pile up on a daily basis..look at all the complaints piling up with those bugs and glitches.

It's time for EA/Maxis to end Sims 4 and move on to Sims 5. You can still enjoy Sims 4 even after Sims 5 comes out. Who knows-you'll never find out what Sims 5 is going to be like if you keep wanting Sims 4 to never end. Who knows-Sims 5 may just have things like cars,free babies,Create-a-World and other great things that the Sims 4 weak engine cannot handle.

This. All of this. I'm ready for Unreal Engine 5 to make Sims 5's foundation solid.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very concerned about the creative direction of VP of Franchise Creative at the Sims. I'm concerned about what creative decisions she will make for the Sims 5. But I can be reassured that at least the base will be functioning well since it's on the backs of Unreal Engine 5. Allegedly.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    My morale is rock bottom. I'm continually disappointed, and I question if things will improve
    I think they should forget about sims 5 and keep sims 4 running, with a more permanent crew so theres continuity.

What if EA/Maxis kept Sims 1 going on forever? Nobody would have aging or toddlers.

What if EA/Maxis kept Sims 2 going on forever and ever? Nobody would have open world or Create-a-Style.

What if EA/Maxis kept Sims 3 going no forever and ever? You would not of gotten to enjoy the experience of Sims 4.

And just imagine how buggy and unplayable Sims 4 will become if it keeps going on forever and ever. Just imagine how many people will stop supporting Sims 4 and move on to Paralives. Sims 4 was built on an engine that was never meant to last very long-just look at all the bugs,glitches and issues that pile up on a daily basis..look at all the complaints piling up with those bugs and glitches.

It's time for EA/Maxis to end Sims 4 and move on to Sims 5. You can still enjoy Sims 4 even after Sims 5 comes out. Who knows-you'll never find out what Sims 5 is going to be like if you keep wanting Sims 4 to never end. Who knows-Sims 5 may just have things like cars,free babies,Create-a-World and other great things that the Sims 4 weak engine cannot handle.

This. All of this. I'm ready for Unreal Engine 5 to make Sims 5's foundation solid.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very concerned about the creative direction of VP of Franchise Creative at the Sims. I'm concerned about what creative decisions she will make for the Sims 5. But I can be reassured that at least the base will be functioning well since it's on the backs of Unreal Engine 5. Allegedly.

Do you mean that Sims 5 will use Unreal's Engine as the actual game engine?

I've seen mentioned in job postings for certain job criteria about needing experience or has experience shipping games with Unreal Engine, but I can't recall that it mentioned it was for "The Sims". I thought Maxis was making another new IP and just assumed it would be for that.

Also, it was my understanding, that even for Sims 4 they did all prototyping in Unreal and just ported it over to the engine they created, but I could have misunderstood.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,289 Member
    I'm very happy and satisfied with the state of The Sims, though I have some minor concerns
    I've always been Easy-Going in nature. Up until the mod I need the most broke, I was still quite happy with the way the Sims is going. I love what MWS gives, but that needs to be fixed to work correctly. I took the very same couple through the paces of a wedding three times, and although the third time was just okay, it was better than the first two tries.

I humbly ask that the Team focuses on fixing what's broken in the Sims4 overall, first, then worry about what should come next. God-willing, I'll still be here.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited March 2022
    You are not mistaken, @Chicklet453681. I also think people who are jumping to the conclusion that Sims 5 will use the Unreal Engine are engaging in wishful thinking.

Any game made with the Unreal Engine needs to share 5% of all profits with Epic Games once the game earns over $1 million. I think those folks are not considering just how much 5% is for a Sims game. That would be 5% of all profits, from every EP, GP, and any other type of pack or content, not just base game. It's a massive amount of money. Sorry, this is EA we are talking about...I just can't see them being willing to part with that kind of money.

That said, EA has taken a shift in the past few years where they have used Unreal Engine for a few other games....so...maybe it will happen. We'll see.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    I'm very happy and satisfied with the state of The Sims, though I have some minor concerns
    Although I lean very strongly towards unwavering support and happiness I do have a personal concern or two which is why I went with the option I did.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    It may, or it may not. If TS5 goes the online route as rumoured and feared, the engine could be so busy trying to cope with no telling how many logged in users that there is nothing to do but wander around a totally static world. It would be Sims, so no monsters to fight or treasure to take. The worlds and NPCs need to be static so that anyone can enter at any time and find the exact same world everyone else does. There can be no personalization of any kind, something I learned in the now distant past. Many years ago, I briefly tried one of those adventure online games. Static, very dull, and gave up on it after about a month.

Even if it stays single player, what's to keep EA from making the game ever more tailored to ever younger audiences to gain ever more potential players to amass ever more revenue? As long as we remain Pavlovian sheep gobbling up every bit of broken mess they throw at us, what's the motivation to change regardless of version.
  • BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,764 Member
    My answer needs a bit of explanation. I’m happy with Sims 3, but not Sims 4. I get bored with 4, while I play Sims 3 without getting bored. That’s why I’m somewhat okay with EA.
  • GrouchybeastGrouchybeast Posts: 149 Member
    None of the answers really fit the way I feel. I wouldn't say that my morale is lower than before or that I've lost trust, because my expectations have been rock bottom since well before I bought The Sims 4.

At this point, The Sims has been a buggy mess for a very long time. I dip in and out and play when there's a new pack I like the sound of, but I'm not expecting things to get better because, well, if Maxis/EA were capable of doing better software development, they probably would have figured it out by now. So I accept that status quo is probably the best we're going to get, and make my play and purchase decisions accordingly.
    "Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member

I see your point of view but at the end of the day the engine is beginning to really show its age a lot of people want to move on to something new and different and that's Sims5. Did you really expect Sims 4 to last forever? Remember it came out in 2014 that's 8 (9 in september) years ago now.
  • kkdladykkdlady Posts: 1 New Member
    I feel "meh" right now. I'm neither dissatisfied or satisfied with The Sims franchise
    I'm somewhere in the middle.

Besides the occasional times my brother would let me play with him, I've never been super into videogames and computers. I feel like I'm one of the only people in my generation that technology doesn't come naturally to. But I've been playing sims 4 for the last year or so and I've fallen in love with it. I'm amazed every day by what people can create and the incredible options we have to modify the world, characters, and lives. It's all new to me and it's all amazing.

However, I also think I've seen the ways that videogame design and user-friendliness have improved and evolved since I was a kid, and am kind of surprised by all the simple things in sims that just don't make sense. Maybe it's because I don't find computer systems intuitive, but I'm constantly questioning why so many of the basics are difficult to understand and deal with when there's been so much improvement in other parts of the game. A couple of specifics I've thought of today:

- Why can't we add filters/have a "favorites" folder for the item databases so we can easily access favorite items and colors and create styles for characters and homes?
    - Why wouldn't you be able to use the eyedropper tool on terrain paint?
    - Why wouldn't we have an option to turn off the camera auto-adjusting for floor levels?
    - Why would "Off-the-grid" items be their own category rather than a filter?
    - Why can't you filter/sort items by characteristics like environment, water consumption and comfort scores?
    - Why wouldn't appliances and upgrades show actual, understandable information about how they affect bills?

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of those have obvious solutions, but I think the fact that I'm not sure and wouldn't know how to find out speaks volumes about the user-friendliness of the system. I feel like I'm constantly coming across simple but confusing things about the entire designing side of the game. And of course I'm saying this as someone with no understanding of programming... but I've done some work with databases and fully believe it has more to do with the organization than the capabilities of the program. The information is all there since it affects sims' environment, moods, bills, etc., it's just a matter of what does and doesn't get shown and how it's laid out. Most online stores, even, are organized in ways and have search/filter options that just intuitively make so much more sense.

I understand why they focus on new content since that's what brings in money. But I also think Sims is wasting a huge opportunity to be seen as an entity that listens to its players and actually responds to their thoughts. In a way that makes me think of Eric Barone/concernedape and Stardew Valley. The fact that I look up simple issues and find unaddressed forum posts from years ago seems kind of crazy. Sure, I've seen that mods can do just about anything to the game, but I know I get frustrated and overwhelmed with them and wouldn't be surprised if many people do. I'm much more likely to stick with a game if I don't have to jerry-rig it every time I play. And more players = more $$$, so win-win.

This ended up being way longer than I had intended... But clearly I'm passionate about it lol.
  • spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    I feel "meh" right now. I'm neither dissatisfied or satisfied with The Sims franchise
    I am feeling Meh right now about the state of the Sims. There are to many bugs and compared to past versions of the Game, Sims1, Sims2, and Sims3 the game feels shallow and a lot is missing from the Sims themselves. They have no real attraction scale or fears, all of them behave the same unless you really really work at raising a Sim and adding values to them. I do not play with Mods right now bc of the frequent patching, it then becomes work to keep up with shuffling mods. I also think a lot of the reason the Sims seem more boring and shallow now is they have based the game to much in reality, I miss the sandbox feel of the game where values are not forced in my face. A lot of the fantasy and wacky elements of the past game's are missing in favor of PC issues and Social Media. Most of the gameplay and newer packs center around things like Green living and School, Fashion and careers. The Game and Game packs started out in the right direction with Vampires, Dine Out, and Strangerville in the same love of fun and fantasy the other versions of the Sim had but then took a big turn somewhere. I think most of the older players miss the old feel of the game and with the way the world is right now we need a game that is not so based in reality, most of us play this game to get away from real life for a while. To play a game that just reflects reality is boring. Cottage Living was a breath of fresh air from the fashion thing but here again it is overly wholesome and directed toward cottage core players, there is only so much to it. Last I checked this is suppose to be the Sims, not Animal Crossing.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    My morale is low. It's going to take significant work by EA and The Sims to get me satisfied and trusting the team again
    I don't know about the state of "The Sims" in general but I think the state of Sims 4 is pretty bad right now. The Wedding pack pretty much defined what some part of the Sims team feels is important - a massive amount of gaudy cakes, gaudy cake toppings, gaudy clothing, build textures that don't match, cliche pre-made households, and game mechanics that don't work. Even the new wedding venue wasn't tested. But hey, the new world is pretty so who cares about quality?
  • JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    edited April 2022
    Wedding & Neighbhorhood Stories was the Cake Topper of a neverending Bug Report list. I'm so done trying to play a game that won't work.

At this point, I will not be subscribing to or buying Sims 5. Which is sad because Sims was my most beloved franchise for 20yrs.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    I'm an unwavering supporter of EA and the Sims. I'm extremely satisfied right now
    i am very satisfied with how it is in the game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    My morale rose again, due to the patches that finally came for the wedding pack. :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited April 2022
    I'm an unwavering supporter of Maxis and The Sims team. I'm disappointed that the team isn't receiving the support and resources they need from EA.

This. The Sims is literally a multimillion franchise. Billion, even.
    And in theory, that means the team should have PLENTY of resources and creative freedom to do what they want with it, with as much time as they need, right? At least that's how it should work in a world that makes any sense.

EA needs to loosen up a bit, give them a better budget and resources, more wiggle room, and also stop focusing so much on increasing the profits. The latest pack was clearly a rushed disaster that needed multiple patches to even function, so they should focus more on letting the team actually produce a quality game.

The money is right there, EA. Use it. Stop being such dumb, corporate dragons about it. Put those billions to good use. Sims money should go towards improving The Sims. It's only logical.

There's a reason the team had the Villainy branch in University give your sim an advantage in business and economics.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    Right before the release of My Wedding Stories, I pretty much quit the game, went back to TS3, and had fun. I've been disappointed with this game's releases since Realm of Magic, so I can definitely say that I don't have any faith in the game at all anymore. With the release of Destiny 2's Witch Queen and Elden Ring, I've completely left TS4 in the dust. I'll return if they release something good (like a well-made occult pack, maybe?), but who knows when that will be.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    A thought on the shallowness of TS4 sims, again coming from my ages ago online game experience. In that game there were 2 types of 'sims', the static ones that handed out quests and the active ones that were the avatars of the various players. The first were static, pre-programmed in dialogue, and boring as all get out. The others moved, provided their human owners wanted them to. If there was any interaction it was because player A was in reality chatting with player B. Since TS4 was originally intended to be online, the sims are the somewhat updated descendants of those types. The sims are shallow because they were never intended to be anything other than a shell. With the coming of the switch to single player EA now had to 'stuff' them somewhat in order to be reasonable characters. Problem is, compared to the TS1-3 sims that were designed from the ground up to be active on their own characters, the slap-dash fix is glaringly obvious.
  • skybird14skybird14 Posts: 90 Member
    I wouldn't say that my morale is low as it's going to take more than a computer game to have that effect on me but I have been continuously disappointed with the content that The Sims team have been putting out lately.

Not only have the recent kits had rather limited appeal for me in terms of the appearance of the items but the Wedding Stories pack didn't even work properly. If it wasn't for some of the incredible CC and Mods, I'm not sure I'd be playing the game at all any more.
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    You are not mistaken, @Chicklet453681. I also think people who are jumping to the conclusion that Sims 5 will use the Unreal Engine are engaging in wishful thinking.

Any game made with the Unreal Engine needs to share 5% of all profits with Epic Games once the game earns over $1 million. I think those folks are not considering just how much 5% is for a Sims game. That would be 5% of all profits, from every EP, GP, and any other type of pack or content, not just base game. It's a massive amount of money. Sorry, this is EA we are talking about...I just can't see them being willing to part with that kind of money.

That said, EA has taken a shift in the past few years where they have used Unreal Engine for a few other games....so...maybe it will happen. We'll see.

True, I am assuming the Unreal Engine 5 development as we only know the prototyping in Unreal. Mass Effect 5 is also looking to hire talent in Unreal Engine 5...I'm seeing the focus a lot.

It really would be a shame if they prototype something in such a powerful and reliable engine only to make a new engine for the real game.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
    edited April 2022
    I'm an unwavering supporter of EA and the Sims. I'm extremely satisfied right now
    @simmerorigin my motto is never trust what is shown we all tough this is what woe would of goten in the sims2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w but turn it it was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUc_VDWRAQo so we should not expect that what we see in trailer is true the same go when it was the sims4 launch trailer as reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFQbNU5fgls&t=2s
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

@simmerorigin my motto is never trust what is shown we all tough this is what woe would of goten in the sims2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w but turn it it was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUc_VDWRAQo so we should not expect that what we see in trailer is true the same go when it was the sims4 launch trailer as reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFQbNU5fgls&t=2s

I do not understand how your post is related to your poll response. As your post is about misleading marketing, then that would be a reason to trust EA less, not more. Instead, you voted that you are "an unwavering supporter of EA and the Sims."
    even if i am its because most of the packs i buy for the content of buy build mode

• UnseenHorizonUnseenHorizon Posts: 212 Member
    Still on The Sims 3 here and will probably remain so if the next iteration isn't significantly better than the last. I'm going into this with pretty low expectations though.
    "Hosting indoor firework shows since '00"
    Currently trying to pick up The Sims 3 again :)

You can find me lurking around The Sims 3 board, feel free to say hi!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top