Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How I feel towards the majority of anti-occult players

Alright, this post isn't meant to attack anyone who's anti occult or doesn't want fantasy aspects in their game but I just want to address some major point the majority of them make when they tell us to play fantasy games instead of the sims.

1. The reason I play the sims is because it allows me to do things the majority of most games don't allow me to do. You can create houses, create people give them jobs raise a family. Design what they look like, go to college, etc. Name me one other game that reciprocates that. Exactly just the sims, and what's wrong if I want to incorporate some fantasy aspects into it. Maybe I'd like a family full of werewolves who are athletes or fairies who are gardeners, how about a spellcaster who is an evil scientist as well?

2. "why do you want dark things like werewolves, zombies, etc in the game anyway" Well I don't see why not, real life is just as dark if not darker and who said they need to be dark or scary? I wouldn't mind some goofy sim friendly zombies in my game who eat faux vegan brain substitutes.(I'm vegan btw) We're not asking for blood and gore in the game lmao.

3. "I don't want fantasy stuff in my life simulation game" That's perfectly fine believe me as someone who's an occult enjoyer even I get annoyed at seeing ghosts who just died calling my sim on the phone every 15 minutes to inform me they became best friends with Bob Pancakes. What's the solution to this you may ask? Simple don't buy occult packs if you don't want fantasy in your game so let us have that werewolf, fairy and dragon gamepack sometime in the future EA. Or at least create a toggle to delete all fantasy aspects of the game for those who don't want it.

My purpose of this post isn't to attack those who don't like occult stuff for the sims, but to express why those of us want it, Skryim, WOW, none of those games allow us to do things we can do in the sims. The majority of us just want a cuddly werewolf and pretty fairy family to play with.
t0j4i8.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    While this topic goes back and forth a lot, I think it reduces pretty simply: sims players are diverse and because that all content is not for all people.

Me for example? Love occults, hate story progression/neighborhood stories. Love the Sims, but these last few months of content have given me no reason to play. Does it feel good? No. Is it okay? Yes, because others wanted this kind of stuff and I can turn it off. Even the horrific bugs that came with it (and I was afraid of) I cannot get too upset about since it is basically part of the process at this point.

Long story short, we all just need to be a little tolerant of each other's interest and preferences. I dare say most people are!
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    The "but why do want that in your game anyway?" bit is judgemental, and another way of saying, "what's wrong with you, why aren't you like me?" And the answer to that is, "why does it bother you if everyone isn't like you?"

I could just as easily say ask them how an excitement level akin to Mister Roger's Neighborhood is even tolerable let alone fun, because that would drive me bonkers, I didn't even like it as a kid. But that would ignore the fact that different people have different motivations and what's fun for one, is boring for another, and my excitement might be someone else's upsetting material.

Agreed, that throwing shade is just a mark of immaturity.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I don't think it's so much an issue of there being occults in game as how they are implemented. Zombies in TS3 were obnoxious and there was no escaping them. I like how they approach the occults in TS4, I don't play with magic and the only sign of there being magic in the game is some random sims falling off their broom every once in a while.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited March 2022
    Sometimes Ive seen simmers say that "we dont need occults because this is supposed to be a real life simulator game" and I have 2 things to say about that. First of all, where exactly does it say that TS is "real life" simulator? Its just a "life simulator". You can simulate ANY kind of life you want your sim to live. Whether it be a happy family of 4 living in suburbia or an alien from Sixam looking for love in the big city.

2nd of all, for something that's supposed to simulate "real life" there's a whole lot of things going on that isnt exactly realistic. A vampire showing up at your door? Okay that doesnt happen irl, but you know what else doesnt happen irl? Being able to get a job at the hospital and be able to work your way up to Chief of Staff without having stepped foot in medical school. But I dont really see simmers clamoring for a university degree be required to even see level 3 in some of these careers. But oh sure, every occult's gotta get the nerf because "iTs NoT ReALisTiC". How is that fair to simmers who wanted, expected and PAID for occult content only for it to end up getting nerfed and/or receiving underwhelming gameplay? Im certainly not demanding for child sims to quit asking their parents for useless advice every other hour.

Post edited by InuMiroLover on
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    Gecko420 wrote: »
    1. The reason I play the sims is because it allows me to do things the majority of most games don't allow me to do. You can create houses, create people give them jobs raise a family. Design what they look like, go to college, etc. Name me one other game that reciprocates that. Exactly just the sims, and what's wrong if I want to incorporate some fantasy aspects into it. Maybe I'd like a family full of werewolves who are athletes or fairies who are gardeners, how about a spellcaster who is an evil scientist as well?

I guess the thing is actually the point you were making... Lol. The Sims is a series that does what no other series does. The life simulation aspect of it is nowhere else. That makes me prefer the game focus on that.

Like zombies? Zombies in video games are a dime a dozen. They're literally everywhere. It's so cliche. A decade ago it was so prominent it was annoying.

But I'm not out here necessarily complaining when supernatural stuff comes into the game. I have no problem with it here and there. It's okay to have some fantasy. But I do personally think with The Sims being the only life simulator, when it doesn't focus on that it is a bit disappointing.

It's not like there isn't quite a bit of supernatural stuff in The Sims 4 already. In fact, there have been numerous packs dedicated to supernatural stuff. People act like it's been so sidelined, but the problem is that The Sims 4 is pretty much lacking in every category and everyone feels sidelined.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    BariSaxy wrote: »
    It's not like there isn't quite a bit of supernatural stuff in The Sims 4 already. In fact, there have been numerous packs dedicated to supernatural stuff. People act like it's been so sidelined, but the problem is that The Sims 4 is pretty much lacking in every category and everyone feels sidelined.

If by "numerous packs dedicated to supernatural stuff" you mean 3 (Vampires, Realm of Magic, Paranomal) -- or 4 if you count Spooky Stuff -- out of a total of 50 packs released so far for Sims 4, you're right. Even if we also throw in those dedicated more to sci-fi flavored fantasy (Strangerville, Batuu), that only gives us a possible total of up to 6 dedicated to their themes. The remaining bits of fantasy/sci-fi are exactly that -- bits inside something else. I absolutely agree with you on the latter part of your comment, though. Recently it seems like many different kinds of players have felt a drought in terms of things of interest to their particular tastes.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    userafwuserafw Posts: 34 Member
    I just wish some of the ghosts were friendly and would leave gifts behind for you like flowers and crystals at random, or even a doll or music box. Kind of like a monster loot drop, only without having to fight and win the loot. Maybe you would actually have to befriend them to give you the gift. Better yet, the loot dropped could be used in crafting, like making lamps, flooring, nectar barrels, and decor. Funny that Sims 4 has a hidden mine, but you cannot do anything with it, not even ore and crystals to make wands with.

I’d also like to see exclusive recipes, or special decorations, or cooked dishes arrive in the mail the first time you befriend an NPC or default household that comes with the game, one recipe per NPC. Stardew valley does that, but so could Sims 4. For instance, if you befriend Linus in Stardew, he gives you his special fish bait recipe, or if you befriend Granny, she gives you her cookie recipe.

Maybe Bella Goth could give you a special nail polish, or Nancy Landgraab could give you a jeweled bracelet or “borrowed” diamond necklace, Judith Ward could give you a wig that functions like a hat, Mr. Fabulous could give you a hand mirror, vlad could give you a free Vampire skill book, and Johnny Zest could give you an album. .

Those of us who like RPGs tend to be more into the mystical I think.
  • Options
    userafwuserafw Posts: 34 Member
    Other special gift ideas: free skill books, coffee punch cards, free coffee pot, free tea set, skin cream clutter, joy buzzer, top hat, feather boa, pocket watch, chainsaw sculpture, death flowers, set of toddler blocks, functional flute, decorative sword decoration in glass case, exclusive bar drink recipe that can be made by lev 2 and up, or one time VIP access pass to bypass the fame door without fame once only: once in, and once out, or for one Sim day before it ends.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    So what are realistic players suppsed to say in response to this thread?

Idc what occult they add to the game as long as its opt-in / tied to its own dlc. I hated how Sims 2 nightlife came with vampires. That has nothing to do with the big city. Or in Seasons came with witches. Im glad Sims 3 brought toggles.

I don't think you should buy a occult focused dlc then complain, thats stupid. But its fair to argue you dont want an occult and good to make toggles or opt-in options in game.

My reply based on the Sims franchise as a whole, not just TS4
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    BariSaxy wrote: »

If by "numerous packs dedicated to supernatural stuff" you mean 3 (Vampires, Realm of Magic, Paranomal) -- or 4 if you count Spooky Stuff -- out of a total of 50 packs released so far for Sims 4, you're right. Even if we also throw in those dedicated more to sci-fi flavored fantasy (Strangerville, Batuu), that only gives us a possible total of up to 6 dedicated to their themes. The remaining bits of fantasy/sci-fi are exactly that -- bits inside something else. I absolutely agree with you on the latter part of your comment, though. Recently it seems like many different kinds of players have felt a drought in terms of things of interest to their particular tastes.

I definitely count the sci-fi ones, as they are fantasy as well.

It's true that TS4 has a toooonnnn of packs now. But to get to that 50 number are you counting Kits? You see, I don't really regard kits as significant content. Save for the vacuum one, they haven't really added anything that I couldn't get through CC. So I'm really looking at EPs, GPs, and SPs. I understand that supernatural stuff still makes up a small portion of that. I suppose it just feels like the focus on supernatural stuff has increased in frequency over the last few years with more of these packs.

I think EA has diluted their packs too much. Because it used to be that you'd get several of the packs they're making into one, and thus you have a balance of realism and supernatural in a single pack and people can pick and choose what they want to play from it. But since EA has spread the content so thin, now we go months and months and months without anything (save for Kits. Meh) only to get one or two small packs that only cater to one niche each. That can make people on all sides more frustrated.

Like when the Game Packs were dominated with supernatural/sci-fi themes for several in a row. That was feeling excessive to me. (Batuu really was excessive all by itself. Why EA, why? SMH)

I don't know what's going on over in that studio, but they aren't handling this well for any of us.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    @BariSaxy Yes, I was indeed counting kits in the total. Like you, I don't consider them "meaty" enough to be considered overly important to my game (the vast majority are of no interest to me, anyway). But I feel like they should be counted in such totals because some players will always feel that any given DLC is significant (including kits) while other players will not. I felt like it wouldn't really be fair to completely dismiss those players out of hand.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited March 2022
    Personally I feel that arguing about what the next pack should be (doesn't matter if it's occult or realism...) is barely worth it because Maxis have not released anything substantial for a while.

It feels like the community is fighting over scraps for content for this soon to be 8 year old game.

I understand that occult players feel left out, but I'm not sure what people expected? I thought when Get To Work was released that all careers after that was going to be active, we would get cars, a firefighter career etc.

Nothing of that happened so I'm not sure how to feel when people are arguing about werewolves and fairies.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I thought Get to Work would add cars. It made sense as you went to work with your Sim. When I found out they were not included I didn’t buy it.
    I dislike the teleportation of regular jobs where Sims stand outside and vanish. To get a loading screen following my Sim to their active job didn’t appeal.

I don’t mind occults. I prefer real life play but I got Vampires and they haven’t been too much. I’ve only got one mermaid, Nalani since Island Living a few months back. Where are the others?

My concern with TS4 is the fragment division. One pack for werewolves another for fairies. Would we get a ‘main’ pack then other items in another pack or a kit? 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️.

In TS3 there was an alchemy store? I would like something like that and your non occult Sims have to research the supernatural to start down that path. I would like it harder to convince an occult Sim to turn you.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    edited March 2022
    + negative and positive and good and evil do not close each other out

and neither does occult and family gameplay

what if i want lovely happy family that gets attacked by horrible monsters

what if i want lovely family that are secretly horrible monsters

what if i want horrible monsters that are actually lovely family

what if i want to have horrible monsters, as pets for my lovely family

also lowkey all the other fantasy games are about killing horrible monsters not being horrible monster and having happy family

i don't want to kill dragons i want to hug them pet them and ride them to the sunset even if they burn my house down

i don't want to save world from vampires and werewolves id rather be and befriend them

and also even if i play occults i too want the toggles.

especially for randomized sim spawn

turn on/off for randomized sims as whole
    turn on/off for them autonomously becoming famous

turn on/off for them possibly spawning as occults (each occult separately)

if we had option to turn all that off

not only could occult players enjoy their own occult sims without randomized sim mess,

realism players would also be able to keep their occult free saves as game wouldn't spawn more once they've cured/ deleted the premade occults

and i add famous sims to that cause its most annoying thing when randomized sims do that famous sim nonsense constantly

then I would also really like npc manager that would let us choose the maids and butlers and sages and whatnot ourselves so sims do not need to spawn for those roles either and if sim is in wrong role it can be corrected
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    kokoro80kokoro80 Posts: 651 Member
    edited March 2022
    I am someone who does not like occults in my game. I still own the occult packs because I like the world, BB and CAS items and get plenty of use out of them. I think it's fine for people to want occult stuff in the game and for EA to release occult specific packs, I just prefer them to add an option in the menu to toggle occults on/off. That way everyone can enjoy having the packs in their game in the way that they prefer.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    kokoro80 wrote: »
    I am someone who does not like occults in my game. I still own the occult packs because I like the world, BB and CAS items and get plenty of use out of them. I think it's fine for people to want occult stuff in the game and for EA to release occult specific packs, I just prefer them to add an option in the menu to toggle occults on/off. That way everyone can enjoy having the packs in their game in the way that they prefer.

But there were player controlled triggers in the Vampire pack it's something I just couldn't get across to some who complained about vampires coming to the door late at night and coming in to bite their Sims. It was all because they went ahead and studied Vampire Lore...that was a major trigger, so was the making garlic wreaths. But no amount of common sense would convince people their vampire populations were caused by how they decided to play the pack and trigger vampires popping in or coming by the Sim house and the player making the Sim answer the door.... now they are nerfed and boring. I don't understand the selfishness of some who knew the pack was about Vampires...galore, but bought the packs anyways and decided it should be nerfed because they (maybe not you) like the world and the assets in buildbuy, and CAS.

It was rather simple for me, I'm not a fan of Pets of any type in The Sims..never have been, since TS1 and TS2, I have not purchased any Pet DLC, in TS3 or TS4 because I let others have their wishes and I don't want strays in my games though I love pets in real life, so no need for me to spoil their fun just because there wasn't a toggle and or I wanted some CAS stuff or world...

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    kokoro80 wrote: »

But there were player controlled triggers in the Vampire pack it's something I just couldn't get across to some who complained about vampires coming to the door late at night and coming in to bite their Sims. It was all because they went ahead and studied Vampire Lore...that was a major trigger, so was the making garlic wreaths. But no amount of common sense would convince people their vampire populations were caused by how they decided to play the pack and trigger vampires popping in or coming by the Sim house and the player making the Sim answer the door.... now they are nerfed and boring. I don't understand the selfishness of some who knew the pack was about Vampires...galore, but bought the packs anyways and decided it should be nerfed because they (maybe not you) like the world and the assets in buildbuy, and CAS.

It was rather simple for me, I'm not a fan of Pets of any type in The Sims..never have been, since TS1 and TS2, I have not purchased any Pet DLC, in TS3 or TS4 because I let others have their wishes and I don't want strays in my games though I love pets in real life, so no need for me to spoil their fun just because there wasn't a toggle and or I wanted some CAS stuff or world...

These discussions always forget about players like me who play many different save games. Some are realistic and some are not. I bought vampires because I want vampires, but not in every save.

Also I’m one of those people who has complained about break ins. No one ever believes me that I got break ins without interacting with vampires or vampire lore skill. I had one save where they broke in almost every night. And yes I mean actual break ins, not just them standing at the door. Maybe it was bugged, I don’t know. But it did happen and I’m tired of experiences like this being dismissed as people not understanding the game mechanics. Just to be clear, I never asked for vampires to be nerfed (they also were never nerfed in my game which was my point back then when I was complaining about the break ins) All I ever asked for was a toggle to turn them off.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Idk why they don’t just add an option in settings to disable occult lifestates like we had in TS3. That is literally the win/win we all deserve. There would be no more complaints.
  • Options
    SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,929 Member
    edited March 2022
    Yah i meant no hostility... (thats why i deleted). Wish people wouldnt quote out of context ... but thats just me lol
    Post edited by Slacker on
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • Options
    Gecko420Gecko420 Posts: 245 Member
    edited March 2022
    Cool i didnt know it was the majority, i felt an outcast as anti-occult.
    My personal choice is that if i want Magic or occult stuff im not gonna play Sims 4, i'll play Heroes of Might and Magic ! But thats me...

Good for you, as I said in my post none of those games contain anything the sims has which is why I choose to play the sims with fantasy elements. I still want the life simulation aspects just with a little hocus pocus here and there

Tell me can you go to college in magic the gathering? Can you raise a family? Can you fully customize your character, give them personality and give them a house?get pregnant? Give birth? Potty train your kids? Have a maid have a butler, own a swimming pool, If so maybe I’ll change my mind
    t0j4i8.jpg
  • Options
    SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,929 Member
    .... so many questions. Lol :|
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • Options
    Gecko420Gecko420 Posts: 245 Member
    Was just trying to prove my point..
    t0j4i8.jpg
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I like all gameplay styles and different types of packs including the occult packs. The supernatural, fantasy, sci-fi themes are part of the franchise history, we've had them since Sims 1. I think they make the game more fun and interesting. I think if people give them a chance they might enjoy them. I recommend the spellcasters or vampires.

I have seen a lot of people want to buy the packs for the build items and CAS clothes, but don't want the occult Sims. I agree there are really nice BB and CAS stuff in those packs, so it's too bad they don't like the occults because they are missing out.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,835 Member
    edited March 2022
    Elliandre wrote: »
    I like all gameplay styles and different types of packs including the occult packs. The supernatural, fantasy, sci-fi themes are part of the franchise history, we've had them since Sims 1. I think they make the game more fun and interesting. I think if people give them a chance they might enjoy them. I recommend the spellcasters or vampires.

I have seen a lot of people want to buy the packs for the build items and CAS clothes, but don't want the occult Sims. I agree there are really nice BB and CAS stuff in those packs, so it's too bad they don't like the occults because they are missing out.

What I don't get is the hostility towards those of us who love occults and occult gameplay, or Maxis for devoting any time at all to creating occults and content for them. At this point it is cannon that occults will be involved in the Sims, always have, and always should. I do agree there should be an opt out for those who don't want it, but why get mad at us for banging the drum for our favorite type of gameplay? And if they can't abide having occults in the game there is a huge amount of free Maxis Match cc available you can get CAS and BB items that are as good or better than what Maxis creates that would easily replace what comes in the pack.
    Post edited by DaniRose2143 on