Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we please have a sexual preference option?

I'm getting tired of having to struggle to undo unwanted same sex relationships in my game. I understand gameplay freedom and I have nothing against homosexuality but I don't want it in my game without my control.

Please make this a gameplay base game update soon. It ruins the flow of the game. Make it optional please.

Comments

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I so agree with you.
  • Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    Agreed. So very much agreed.

"This Sim is attracted to Male/Female/Both/None."

Would make some of my households easier when I don't have to watch every Sim with a flirty mood.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I would like gender preference options too. I want sims of different sexual orientations in my game, including asexuality, but I want to be able to set those preferences myself in CAS for sims I'm playing or else keeping my eye on.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I have always wanted this too and if/when it's implemented it will probably be my favorite (most needed) update out of all updates!

It's extremely hard to "play my way" when I have to fight with the system to keep my sims acting appropriately to the story I've decided.
  • Options
    SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    Yes, I don't understand why we still don't have this. We really need that kind of control (maybe with an option to let the game decide for those who want it to just happen) (and ideally some kind of wider preference system eventually). I just want my flirty sims not to flirt with literally everyone in the room and my currently unplayed sim not to end up with a bunch of budding relationships... And I want my sims to stay whatever I've set them up as. And yes, it should include "both" and "none" options.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited March 2022
    Agreed.

I'm surprised they never implemented a system like that.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It must be impossible because some of us have been asking for sexual preference settings in CAS for this game and before the end of TS3 since as long as I can remember. :/
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I would like this too, as well as a chemistry system with turn ons/offs, and a loyal trait or something similar to prevent cheating.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I remember back in TS3 someone requested this for CAS and I and many other people gay or straight all agreed we didn't want labels because we didn't like labels in real life. However, I eventually changed my mind. This would be great for many types of players. Because some were afraid if this was set in stone in CAS then their Sim couldn't change their preferences. However, Maxis has been very good in the past games of creating code and not so rude interactions of Sims to refuse a flirt with just putting up a hand to say no, I'm not interested if the other Sim was not their type or their chosen attraction gender. They could do that now, if they added sexual preference to the game. The Sim could just politely say, I'm not interested. It's been in the game since TS1. Why it's not in TS4, is beyond me, or I have never seen it.

Edited to Add:
    They could add a text to the player 'Do you want so and so to accept the flirt?' if it came from a Sim who is not their preference and the player still be in control to answer yes, change their Sim preferences or yes accept it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited March 2022
    I'm getting tired of having to struggle to undo unwanted same sex relationships in my game. I understand gameplay freedom and I have nothing against homosexuality but I don't want it in my game without my control.

Please make this a gameplay base game update soon. It ruins the flow of the game. Make it optional please.

and same goes for opposite: i want no unwanted straight relationships in my game for my gay/lesbian sims either

and tbh meanwhile i sort of get sims making relations while i don't play them (probably result of them interacting as walkbys) it also drives me crazy cause nothing stays and sims be forgetting they know their grandma and grandpa cause i was playing another family
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yea I had to download a mod to make this happen. For example, it totally removes the Romance options from the pie menu for Sims when talking to Sims of the same gender to prevent a Romance bar from appearing. It would be nice if this was a built-in feature. The less mods I have to use the better.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    This would be good.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Definitely. This should have been an early priority in the game.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    I would LOVE this option!
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    This would be welcome.

When I don’t play my households, they always seem to be developing flirty relationships which is very frustrating.

Brent Hecking has romanced a lady townie. 🤷🏼‍♂️. That doesn’t make sense.
    Somehow Bob Pancakes has a romance with Katrina Caliente! 😂🤦🏼‍♂️.
    Dylan Sigmore has also flirted with a lady townie. The pink bar is there but lower than quarter way. 🤷🏼‍♂️.

It’s funny but very annoying at the same time. I fix it by using the ‘let’s be friends’ when I next play them and find out who they have been flirting with.

I do wish we had a way to turning romance off outside the lot were playing. There’s no sense to the current system. It’s very immersion breaking.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    Chris_McSimsChris_McSims Posts: 120 Member
    That totally should be added in the game. I mean, we have pride flags, we'll get pronouns, why don't we have a system to select what gender(s) our sims are attracted to? This could also be the first step for an attraction/chemistry system.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It must be impossible because some of us have been asking for sexual preference settings in CAS for this game and before the end of TS3 since as long as I can remember. :/

If that is the case it must be relatively recent as TS2 played sims are neutral until the player makes the selection. At least some of the townies are pre-set.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I think the sexual non-discrimination is deliberate. It promotes the free love, LGBTQ and transsexual communities they have been otherwise actively promoting. I am more bothered by the fact that my sims get an automatic pink bar with whichever sim decides to do a random declaration of love. Some of those sims my sims hardly knew, being smooched when they hardly knew them is considered assault nowadays, not love.
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    I've never understood why this couldn't be a thing. Nevertheless, I have a number of mods that allow me to do this and I recommend them. (WonderfulWhims is great for this, IIRC)
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I don't know ... If the game then only auto-creates straight townies, I will quit playing it.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,832 Member
    edited March 2022
    BariSaxy wrote: »
    I've never understood why this couldn't be a thing. Nevertheless, I have a number of mods that allow me to do this and I recommend them. (WonderfulWhims is great for this, IIRC)

Yes WonderfulWhims allows you to choose sexual orientation along with quite few other factors for attraction. Basically turn ons and turn offs. Also I do believe you can go in and setup a percentage on how many sims in the world be straight and how many will be gay.

ETA: I went in and checked and yes WW, does allow you to control the distribution of sexual orientations of newly generated sims, including asexual and bi. The only way to control existing sims is through the like/dislike option in each sims personal settings. It's cumbersome but at this point it's the best way I know of to fix the issue.
    Post edited by DaniRose2143 on
  • Options

If that is the case it must be relatively recent as TS2 played sims are neutral until the player makes the selection. At least some of the townies are pre-set.

TS4 doesn't have the hidden option in code to stick to the gender we first pick for our Sims' attraction other like we do in TS2. As you know TS4 Sims will accept love from any other Sim. Many say it's because they are coded to be Bi. I don't know about the code in TS4 but modders would, but since there was a huge thread on TS3 about wanting sexual preference and that has been over ten years ago, it must be impossible to do in CAS or Maxis would have eventually done it, I think. Surely they wouldn't ignore such a longstanding request for over ten years to put this option in CAS. lol
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I think the sexual non-discrimination is deliberate. It promotes the free love, LGBTQ and transsexual communities they have been otherwise actively promoting. I am more bothered by the fact that my sims get an automatic pink bar with whichever sim decides to do a random declaration of love. Some of those sims my sims hardly knew, being smooched when they hardly knew them is considered assault nowadays, not love.

The T in LGBTQ already means trans, so it doesn't need duplicate mention. And "Free Love" isn't specific to LGBTQ people. Beatniks and shortly after, Hippies, were the first to make a Revolution out of promoting "free love" and the vast majority of them were straight, white, and privileged. The point being, whether and to what degree monogamy matters, is separate from orientation or gender identity.

I too am annoyed by how meaningless relationships and woohoo are in sims4 due to them not caring, and hooking up with anyone and everyone, but that's not because of LGBTQ inclusion or representation, and one doesn't imply the other. :)
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member

In TS2, once you did the "Scope Room" interaction or the "Check Sim Out" interaction, every other Sim on the lot would start showing their preference. You remembered correctly. I just finished playing TS2 and just did this.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

The T in LGBTQ already means trans, so it doesn't need duplicate mention. And "Free Love" isn't specific to LGBTQ people. Beatniks and shortly after, Hippies, were the first to make a Revolution out of promoting "free love" and the vast majority of them were straight, white, and privileged. The point being, whether and to what degree monogamy matters, is separate from orientation or gender identity.

I too am annoyed by how meaningless relationships and woohoo are in sims4 due to them not caring, and hooking up with anyone and everyone, but that's not because of LGBTQ inclusion or representation, and one doesn't imply the other. :)

I wasn't referring to monogamy as being desirable, nor did I say that free love is specific to LGBTQ community, but rather sim's predilection for hooking up with literally anyone. They basically have no taboos, and anything goes regardless of sex or marital status. As far as sexual orientation goes, everyone's bisexual by default, the only reason some don't get engaged in bisexual relationships is because they don't get the opportunity. Also, happily married sims will get pink bars with whoever pays them a compliment, monogamy is again not a choice but a lack of opportunity. So, maybe it's a lazy way to code relationships in game and not a desire to include LGBTQ representation but the fact remains that sims do not discriminate and have an anything goes approach to relationships.