Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"thesims 2 ep9 has stopped working"

lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
for the past few days, i've played the game with zero issues.

for some reason, though, today is the exception~ i can't launch the game from origin or my desktop shortcut without getting the error above. any posts i found on the subject were several years old, so i'm not quite sure what to do anymore.

thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

-von
I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif

Comments

• Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Hmm, that's weird that it worked and then now isn't. Did anything on your computer change, like any new updates or anything?
    @Rflong7 @kremesch73 :p
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

I would delete the Logs folder in Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection (it will regenerate)
    and delete the cache files - Accessory and Groups. Then try it...
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited February 2016
    Let us know if what Rflong suggested works or not. This way, we can try to help you troubleshoot your game further if required, and others will be able to use this thread if they run into a similar issue.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    thanks everyone :)

after about 20 tries, i was eventually able to launch the game. i haven't installed any updates or anything recently, and all of my other games (ts3, 4, and medieval) work fine, but i tried deleting the files mentioned above and i still can't launch the game again today.

it seems to be luck of the draw, really. sometimes i can start it and, others, it takes 20-30 tries before i can launch the game. any other ideas?
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

• Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    That is very weird that it will work sometimes and other times not. I wonder if it could be a memory issue? Ts3 would do that for me since it hogs so much ram sometimes it just simply would not run. I doubt ts2 could do something similar since it's so much older but you never know.
  • Options
    Do you start the game with the option: "Run as administrator"

I have mine set to always start that way, which isn't the same as being the administrator. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    My husband had this issue some time ago and I can't recall what we did To correct it. If you remove The Sims 2 folder from your Documents and place it on your desktop as a backup. Making sure there is no Sims 2 folder in your EA Games folder in Documents. Do you still have this issue?

This is the next thing I'd try after rflong's suggestion.

I should also ask at this point if you're playing on PC or Mac?
  • Options
    i am on a laptop, win7.

i finally got it started after 3 or 4 tries; i also noticed that i had 2 ea games folders for some reason, both with the sims 2 ultimate collection... one was empty and the other had my stuff in it, so i deleted the empty one and was able to start the game.

if this same issue happens again, i will try running as admin instead (i'm the only one who uses this computer, so i'm pretty sure my profile is admin already, but not 100% certain.

thanks again all :)

-von

• Options
    See, being admin isn't the same as running a program as administrator. Right click on the desktop start up icon and it will have the option to run as administrator.

Two folders? I used to get that with the old Sims 2 install and Win7.

• Options
    i am on a laptop, win7.

i finally got it started after 3 or 4 tries; i also noticed that i had 2 ea games folders for some reason, both with the sims 2 ultimate collection... one was empty and the other had my stuff in it, so i deleted the empty one and was able to start the game.

if this same issue happens again, i will try running as admin instead (i'm the only one who uses this computer, so i'm pretty sure my profile is admin already, but not 100% certain.

-von

Weird. This is the exact thing that happened to another player here recently. Luckily, removing the extra folder helped them. I hope it works for you too. I wonder why you guys wound up with two folders.
  • Options
    It's good to know for future help, at least. :)
  • Options
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    i am on a laptop, win7.

-von

Weird. This is the exact thing that happened to another player here recently. Luckily, removing the extra folder helped them. I hope it works for you too. I wonder why you guys wound up with two folders.

not sure. but this extra folder must be the cause of the issue; removing it allows me to run the game, though it reappears after i log out (just like the cache files do). i've taken to just deleting the extra folder before trying to start the game.

-von

• Options
    larisqwolarisqwo Posts: 1 New Member
    > @Rflong7 said:
    > Hi :)
    >
    > I would delete the Logs folder in Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection (it will regenerate)
    > and delete the cache files - Accessory and Groups. Then try it...

Hello, I had the same problem and this solution worked for me. Thank you for your help