Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a way to quickly end unwanted romantic relationships?

Even if you ask to be friends, people are still showing up on my romantic list. I don't use cheats. Is there a trick to get rid of them quickly or if not quickly, with some effort and diligence?

Comments

• ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    If you just use some mean socials a bit maybe that will push the romance bar down and then it will drop off eventually once it's below zero?
  • bruceleroy98bruceleroy98 Posts: 333 Member
    I've been doing lots of mean things and the relationship just gets red and changes to awkward.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,918 Member
    lol... you'll get 'enemies with benefits' if you keep that up ! im sorry it made me think of my oracle girl, i think theres no way, unless you save and delete and re-install the unwanted sim, youd have to use the modifyrelationship cheat with a negative value.
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited March 2022
    I've been doing lots of mean things and the relationship just gets red and changes to awkward.

Once they are in your sims romantic relationship panel, they stay there, even if you get the romantic relationship down to nothing (or negative)...as you've observed.

The only way to clear out the (now former) romantic relationship entirely is to get the sims' relationship with each other completely removed (relationship culling). This means both friendship and romantic relationship.

If you use mods, you can do this with MCCC, if you don't, you need to get both friendship and romantic down super low (either through gameplay or the modifyrelationship cheat) and then have the sim's avoid interacting with each other until the games' relationship culling removes them from each other's relationship panel entirely.
    Once their relationship has been culled, you can have them greet each other and it will be like they met completely anew.

Note, the sims need to have a lot of other relationships before relationship culling will take effect at all, so if either of them do not know very many people, you will need to change that as well for this method to work. More about relationship culling is available here. It's dated information, but still mostly accurate. Of special note is the various relationship bits that prevent culling. If any of them apply you will need to use cheats to remove them.

Personally, I find it all way too much trouble to try to do without the quick-and-easy solution that MCCC provides.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited March 2022
    Another thought, there is a social "just be friends" which end the romance and changes them back to friends, but maybe you might have to build up the romance a bit to see that social I'm not sure
    what she said ^ (never tried it, now i will) :wink:
    edited March 2022
    Asking to just be friends brings the romantic relationship (pink bar) down, but does not remove them from the romantic filter on the relationship panel. That is what OP is asking for and that shows both former and existing romantic relationships, unfortunately.
  • bruceleroy98bruceleroy98 Posts: 333 Member
    How long does relationship culling take? I'm about to resort to more creative measures lol. I definitely don't want to make the romantic relationship stronger just to possibly get the option to be friends. Where's a hitman when you need em?
    edited March 2022
    How long does relationship culling take? I'm about to resort to more creative measures lol. I definitely don't want to make the romantic relationship stronger just to possibly get the option to be friends. Where's a hitman when you need em?

It runs every night, so if you get the sims below the thresholds for both romantic and friendly, do not have any of the other bits that prevent culling, and both sims know enough other sims (35+ is what it used to be) it should happen overnight. I suggest following the link I gave above and reading that post as well as the one right below it to see what all the other bits are that can prevent culling, as it will never happen if those are present. You will absolutely have to use cheat codes or mods to accomplish what you want in that case.

Or, alternatively, move one of the sims to your gallery and delete them from your game. Then put them back in. This will clear out ALL relationships for that sim though, including family relationships....so it's a drastic measure.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,872 Member
    @bruceleroy98 Both current and former relationships show up in the panel. Just because they show up there, doesn't mean it's a current romantic relationship. Does that help?

Stormkeep wrote: »

Or, alternatively, move one of the sims to your gallery and delete them from your game. Then put them back in. This will clear out ALL relationships for that sim though, including family relationships....so it's a drastic measure.

What he said ;) lol
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    edited March 2022
    Cheat:
    modify relationship (your sim name) (other sim name) -100 LTR_Romantic_main
  • wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    If you want the romance bar fully gone the short answer is no. They need to be culled or reset back into the game where they retain skills and jobs but no relationships at all. I've personally never seen a culling or decay that took care of it because they managed to refuel the romance meter just enough while i wasn't in that household. I often reset if it's a major issue for my plot.
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited March 2022
    MCCC, remove the relationship and start over.
    it would be great if relationships can be forgotten like sims if you don't spend time with them instead of being stuck with that relationship bar forever there.
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    you will need the MCCC mod to remove it. no way to do it without mods
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I third the MCCC option. Works every time and effectively. Including total forgetting if desired.
  • RoseRyderRoseRyder Posts: 19 Member
    The modify relationship cheat did not work for me, does anyone know if this cheat still works? Has anyone used it successfully recently ?
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    @RoseRyder it was still working for me as of last night. I’ve had to use it extensively to restore my sim’s relationships after moving my game to a new save. You have to be very careful with typing it all in exactly. Modifyrelationship YourSimFirst YourSimLast TargetSimFirst TargetSimLast number LTR_friendship_main. Number = -100 to 100. Substitute LTR_Romance_main to cheat the romance bar. Sometimes hyphenated names and multiple names (Like Mary Sue) are a problem with this cheat.

• VicandraVicandra Posts: 3 New Member
    It's nice they let us reset romance "just be friends" but well... would be nice to get them removed from romantic interest list too.
    You might get someone there just by accident. My female sim just got slapped from cheating, even she has never made any romantic action to slapper... exept that she is good and friendly sim who had slight positive reaction when her friend flirted to her like weeks ago. Her ex boyfriend didn't react when she kissed her current husband but this random sim raged.
    And talking about her husband... he has 3 romantic interests even he is definately not been flirting around so there should be just his wife. And actually one of those is male... well, nothing against those relationships but this spesific sim happens to be straight...
    I had just saved game before that slapping incident and will see if I can avoid that, but if not... I guess I let her husband just turn aggressive and we will get fight :D
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Lock the unwanted stalker in a secret room (preferably in a basement) and take away the door. Okay, maybe that isn't the fastest way but it's the most satisfying, er so I'm told... 😏
  • blaq797blaq797 Posts: 145 Member
    I've had this happen in my game once autonomously... But aliens have a social they can use to "make a sim forget about them". And I think same for most of the other occults... For vampires, I think its "drain Life spirit" that works that way too. Thats what I try with papparazzi anyway.
    Sorry, Avatar is merely my favorite Sims 4 sim.