Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims are Divorcing: Who gets What?

MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
I have two sims, Carmen and Frederico. They have two kids, Son Juan and Daughter Serena. They also (as do most people) have a house. Who gets what?

EDIT for details: They just aren't in love anymore, and have been arguing a lot.

Frederico is Level 3 in the Business career and Carmen is a Stay-At-Home-mom. They are both cheerful and family-oriented, but Frederico is a genius and Carmen is good. The kids get along with their parents equally.

EDIT 2: It is 5:04 PM in my game on Friday. They were not able to patch tihngs up enough and have divorced. The poll has Carmen getting the kids and the house, and so she shall, but the kids will live with their father on weekends (starting tomorrow in my game.) Frederico will move into a house nearby.
Post edited by MyriadSims on

Sims are Divorcing: Who gets What? 35 votes

Frederico gets all 3
17%
ladybreidThriorMonaveilUniqueKhaosNightlyCoffeeIrateCorvid 6 votes
Carmen gets all 3
48%
imhappyStormkeepelanorbretonsimgirl1010pammiechickannaliese39RedShoe7EricasFreePlayhappyopiNikkihSERVERFRAAmapola76ElliandreElisetomFatTribble23d0ll_v0m1tJunkyPoem 17 votes
Carmen gets the house but not the kids
0%
Frederico gets the house but not the kids
2%
DarkLady2788 1 vote
Carmen gets the kids but not the house
8%
StrangerthanncisGibbs02InuMiroLover 3 votes
Frederico gets the kids but not the house
0%
They split the kids: Specify, along with who gets the house in this scenario
22%
taydevmusteniOceancatGordySimmingalUmbreon12Zoeyevesterphantling 8 votes

Comments

• EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited March 2022
    Why are they divorcing?

Also, what are their traits/careers etc?
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I am wanting to know more. Was either at fault in the divorce or is this an issue of compatibility? Was either a stay-at-home parent? Who do the kids have the best relationship with? Is either in the criminal career?
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited March 2022
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Why are they divorcing?

Also, what are their traits/careers etc?

They just aren't in love anymore, and have been arguing a lot.

Frederico is Level 3 in the Business career and Carmen is a Stay-At-Home-mom. They are both cheerful and family-oriented, but Frederico is a genius and Carmen is good.
    telemwill wrote: »
    I am wanting to know more. Was either at fault in the divorce or is this an issue of compatibility? Was either a stay-at-home parent? Who do the kids have the best relationship with? Is either in the criminal career?

They just aren't in love anymore, and have been arguing a lot.

Frederico is Level 3 in the Business career and Carmen is a Stay-At-Home-mom. They are both cheerful and family-oriented, but Frederico is a genius and Carmen is good. The kids get along with their parents equally.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    OK, thank you for the additional input. I think Carmen should get the house since she will need additional time to get back into the work force and may not be in a position to buy one. Hopefully the couple can work out shared custody of the children, so they both can continue parenting.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    Shared custody. As for the house, what's it like? I don't know if Carmen can hold a very big house on her own without income. She might need to move into something smaller or start a career.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    Frederico gets all 3
    I say Frederico gets all 3. For no other reason than most of the time people pick the wife to get the house and/or kids. Also adds for a dramatic storyline. In my head, she was being unfaithful (gym trainer, mail man, Don Lothario…) and that lead to falling out of love and arguing. Or maybe she just wants to go off with no attachments/baggage and pursue an acting career.
    Gordy wrote: »
    Shared custody. As for the house, what's it like? I don't know if Carmen can hold a very big house on her own without income. She might need to move into something smaller or start a career.

It's a two story with a kitchen, dining room, living room, two bedrooms (Master & Child), 2 bathrooms, as well as a laundry room. It costs about 30k. I do not think, unless Carmen can get a good job, that she could feasibly afford to pay bills more than once.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited March 2022
    MyriadSims wrote: »
    Gordy wrote: »

It's a two story with a kitchen, dining room, living room, two bedrooms (Master & Child), 2 bathrooms, as well as a laundry room. It costs about 30k. I do not think, unless Carmen can get a good job, that she could feasibly afford to pay bills more than once.

I mean she could take up a hobby like Painting and build up skill pretty quickly, and be home for the kids. Frederico, on the other hand, has to work.

Or you could evict the whole family via map view (this sells the house and contents), split the household, and give them half the cash each, or 2/3 to whoever has the kids full time and 1/3 to the other.

They can then both move into cheaper houses or rent apartments. This gives Carmen some money to tide her over while she works on a profitable hobby or starts a career (Charity Organiser might be a good career for a Good sim, and it has the WFH option to set her own hours).

For the other parent to have time with the kids you could set up a Club and have gatherings at the other parent's place or community lots.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Self-made Other:
    They should work it out. You gave no evidence of violence or anyone being in any sort of danger. Love is a choice and a verb, not sentimental mush. Been there, done that. It works. IRL, btw.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited March 2022
    Carmen gets all 3
    Carmen is the mom who has been slaving away taking care of those kids and making sure they are fed and kept clean and feel loved. Obviously her husband has been so pre-occupied with work that he has neglected his wife so I'm sure the kids also haven't received much attention from dad. They'll still need their mom. All Freddy has been good for so far is providing money.
    She should get both kids and for that reason also the house, because the kids need a place to stay. Freddy should pay child support, seeing as providing money is all he's ever been good at as a father anyway.

If the above is not true, then I agree with @Oldeseadogge's "other" and that they should work it out.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2022
    I still think shared custody works out best. If Carmen gets a job, she'll have less time for her kids. When one parent works, the kids stay with the other. That way, everyone has quality time with everyone else.
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Obviously her husband has been so pre-occupied with work that he has neglected his wife so I'm sure the kids also haven't received much attention from dad.
    The kids get along with their parents equally. If the dad neglects his kids, then the mother's treatment would have to be about as good/bad as neglect. Is she shaking them down for lunch money? Maybe that's how she'll be able to afford the house.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Self-made Other:
    They should work it out. You gave no evidence of violence or anyone being in any sort of danger. Love is a choice and a verb, not sentimental mush. Been there, done that. It works. IRL, btw.
    I agree. See if they can rekindle their relationship. Send them on a romantic getaway. Marriage is about companionship through the good times and the bad. Aren’t they still good friends? Maybe the honeymoon period is over, but I don’t think that’s a good reason to divorce.

If you want them to get divorced, I think you should fabricate a new lover or dark secret.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Carmen gets all 3
    I chose this way because the kids should stay together and they need a home to live in. Frederico has a job so it would be easier for him to be able to afford rent on another place.

But it depends on the size of their house.

If it's a big house, I would sell it, split the money and have them both buy smaller houses.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    edited March 2022
    Carmen gets the kids but not the house
    If Carmen is good she should raise the kids. I’m picturing her in a nice apartment block and making friends to help her manage her kids. Frederico visits at weekends to take the kids to the park so Carmen can go to the spa for a well earned bit of pampering! 😊

I just remembered in one save Don married Nina but cheated on her with Dina. Once they split, I would use manage households once a week to give Nina some of Don’s money. Sort of like alimony. Nina never had to work!
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited March 2022
    It dependes on who is able to provide for the kids. Siblings should stay together.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • JALJAL Posts: 1,000 Member
    I would argue for shared custody (if you have GTW it's feasible to do by using the club feature, there is also a mod by LMS that can work), but since the game does not officially support it I get that one will officially be the "parent".

I would say that whoever keeps the house will get the kids. It might seem unfair, but it would be the more realistic scenario - one move out into something smaller. Logically, if you go with this option, Federico gets all three since Carmen can't afford the house right now.

Another option is to sell the house and split the money and both get something smaller. This would tie Carmen over until she can afford rent from her new job. That way she could keep the kids, as she has been the stay at home parent and hence has taken the majority of parental responsibility up to this point.

So either Frederico gets all three, or neither gets the house and Carmen get the kids. Either way, I'd work in shared custody in the mix somehow in practise even if the game doesn't support it. If you have MCCC in your game, you can also have child support if Carmen gets the kids, so that would give her some money too.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    edited March 2022
    I mean usually i would divide it like one gets the money other gets the house and basic furniture so they can sell that or stay or whatever

ofc if there is something absolutely sentimental to moving sim they may take it like say personal collections or something

and if there is kids they usually go with which parent they prefer

but usually if there is lot of kids i may just decide they naturally divided themselves according to with who and where they want to live
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    They should seek counseling and try their best to work it out. Marriages are just like any other relationships. They need work. If it's a matter of arguing, the parents should do their best to work out their differences. Maybe, they should take a bit of a vacation just the two of them. If you decide they should divorce, the mother generally gets the children, unless she's proven to be unfit. If both parents are family oriented, he should want the best for his children. She gets the house so they don't live out on the street, and since she's not been working, he owes her Alimony, and of course, he will be ordered to pay Child-Support. So much per child.

As for the child choosing which parent to go with, depending on the state, a child must be twelve in order to make a preference.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited March 2022
    Frederico gets all 3
    Frederico gets all 3 because he's the one who's employed. He can afford to take care of the kids and maintain the house. In the meantime, Carmen needs to change her priorities because she won't be a stay-at-home mom anymore. She can start a career that she likes based on her skills or aspiration. I think the kids will visit her often. The kids might even decide that they'd like to live with Carmen.

Dad: Cheerful - Family Oriented - Genius
    Mom: Cheerful - Family Oriented - Good
    With the exception of the Genius trait, the traits of both parents are pretty meh. No wonder they lost interest in each other.

• Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,420 Member
    As it appears to be a no- fault divorce, the house and all non-personal belongings should be sold and the money split evenly. They should have joint custody of the children, unless the kids are teens. If the kids are teens, they should be allowed to choose which parent they want to live with. I don't think the game will allow joint custody though. With that being the case, the siblings should be split. Divorce has a very high cost and that should be part of the story somehow. Perhaps that will motivate the parents to seek counseling and save their marriage.
    edited March 2022
    I have done some thinking and listened to your comments, and I have decided to give them a fighting chance, and if it doesn't work out (i.e their love meter doesn't become above, say, 50 or 75, by the end of one sim week) then they will divorce. If they do succeed, they will continue as normal. I will leave an update soon.
  • JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    Carmen gets all 3
    Kids should get the house with Carmen unless you're trying to create some chaos. Most siblings hate getting split between parents & it's very traumatic having to leave their childhood home for any reason

Frederico's a genius & would rebound easier. Give him a 1/3 of the money & 1/2 of the family furniture. If you have City Living or Eco Lifestyle, get him an apt. Temporarily, move the kids in with him for some vacations & holidays. Carmen gets free time & Dad has to manage the whole family without Mom.
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited March 2022
    Frederico gets all 3
    I know you have decided to give them a fighting chance (nice) but just my two cents. In the end I gave my vote to Frederico since that's the more uncommon scenario. Could be interesting. But I do think it can be a logical choice too.

Since Carmen can't afford to keep the house then Frederico should have it. If that's the case then it's also a pretty realistic option for him to keep the kids so they can continue living in the house they already consider a home. It might feel unfair but I think it's logical. At least for a while so Carmen can get herself settled. Would feel rather "wasteful" to me if the dad lived all by himself in the large house and the rest of the family moved to a smaller place while the mother is at the process of needing to get her livelihood in check. Of course, they could just sell the house, split the money and both move into a cheaper place which then removes any attachments to the old place.

Since neither parent is "guilty", both are family oriented and both get equally well along with the kids, it gets harder to decide who keeps them. (I don't think the kids should be split as long as they are kids but once they are teens they can decide their own preferences.) Normally I'd just say the one who has the better relationship or who is "more stable/invested" but their personalities (and I assume the way they are played) are very similar so I guess there's no glaring contrast between their investment level. Just because Frederico is the one who has spent less time around the kids due to his job, doesn't make him automatically "work obsessed distant one". He was providing for his family which in turn allowed the mother to stay at home.
    It is 5:04 PM in my game on Friday. They were not able to patch tihngs up enough and have divorced. The poll has Carmen getting the kids and the house, and so she shall, but the kids will live with their father on weekends (starting tomorrow in my game.) Frederico will move into a house nearby.