Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What makes a sims 4 pack good ?

Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
I think sims 4 had some good packs .So what makes them good ?
Post edited by Horrorgirl6 on

Comments

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,340 Member
    - Focusing on a single feature and doing it right
    GTW tries to juggle Retail, Aliens and Active careers, and the first two are suffering from that. Strangerville has Sparring as an afterthought. Compare to Bowling Night that does the theme justice with in-depth details (switching into different shoes, themed team shirts and gloves in CAS, the different ball unlocks, an extra skill and even a secret achievement).

- Providing features that imagination cannot
    Fun as it can be to play, a university pack isn't really needed. I can easily gate access to careers and cheat-promote sims that graduate from my imaginary colleges that I ran before the pack released. But I cannot that easily imagine bicycles, cows or little spectres that zip around the lot.
    Especially the bicycles are great value, because modders have used them as bases for different vehicles including a wheelchair and a horse.
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    Occults, occults make a Sims 4 pack good. B)

Occults with developed gameplay (eg pre-nerfed Vampires) that includes both imaginative and more play directed features, lots of things for sims out of world to do (eg the festivals with City Living), good CAS that suits the overall (occult) theme of the pack, ditto for Build/Buy.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited March 2022
    For me, what makes a pack "good" is if it adds things to my game that I will use regularly and frequently. It could be gameplay, or it could be CAS and/or BB items that I really like, or it could be a new World.

I'm not like a lot of simmers here where I focus on just one aspect of the game so only think something is good if it enhances that. All a pack needs for me to consider it good is to do whatever it is that the pack adds in a way that I will use it and enjoy it regularly.
    That makes packs focused on highly "situational" things less good as far as I'm concerned. So a pack like Get Famous is less good than a pack like Seasons to me because what GF adds is situational and not something I'll even touch with most households, other than the World. If Del Sol Valley had been larger and more interesting, I'd think differently about the pack as a whole.

A pack that is very situational for one aspect, but I still rank as good would be Vampires. Because, though Vampires themselves are definitely situational, the pack has really great BB and CAS assets.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited March 2022
    Replayability, Customization, Variety, Cross-Pack Compatibility, Longevity.

Some of my favorite parts of Maxis packs was when I could use the features of the packs in all worlds, they allowed me to change how to play my households and offered me variety. Playing with a different household could lead to different results and using other packs could also lead to different results.

Some of my least favorite parts of Maxis packs was when I was restricted to a world, I could play different households and end up with the same results. Changing things around with different packs doesn't do much and the pack left a lot up to the user to "pretend" that things were happening.

Some of my favorite parts from different packs: The four different seasons, Apartments, The many different Cats & Dogs, Robotics, Wellness skill, The different temples in the jungle, photography, clubs.

Some of my least favorite parts from different packs: Rabbit Hole Solutions and Repetitive tasks from different packs or things that don't work well in the game.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I don't care much about CAS or build/buy. For me it's about the gameplay and the world. Get Famous has the best gameplay in my opinion. The best world goes for Windenburg because of that island. Of course there's other criteria too, but I find it really hard to pinpoint a recipe for success. Gameplay can feel not right (DU) or the world not be my taste (C&D).
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,572 Member
    I judge a pack on how much gameplay and immersion it brings. I particularly enjoy features that enrich my Sims' everyday lives.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,832 Member
    For me part of it depends on new or expanded features that aren't available in previous games. Knitting, farming,
    spellcasters, fame, vet clinics, sustainable living, Strangerville, JTB, etc.
  • JALJAL Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited March 2022
    logion wrote: »
    Replayability, Customization, Variety, Cross-Pack Compatibility, Longevity.

Some of my favorite parts of Maxis packs was when I could use the features of the packs in all worlds, they allowed me to change how to play my households and offered me variety. Playing with a different household could lead to different results and using other packs could also lead to different results.

Some of my least favorite parts of Maxis packs was when I was restricted to a world, I could play different households and end up with the same results. Changing things around with different packs doesn't do much and the pack left a lot up to the user to "pretend" that things were happening.

Some of my favorite parts from different packs: The four different seasons, Apartments, The many different Cats & Dogs, Robotics, Wellness skill, The different temples in the jungle, photography, clubs.

Some of my least favorite parts from different packs: Rabbit Hole Solutions and Repetitive tasks from different packs or things that don't work well in the game.
    I agree a lot with this, and for those reasons rate seasons, get together and parenthood highly. I also really liked the new careers that came with discover university (though university gameplay itself got repetitive fast).

However, I'll also rate games like Island Living and Snowy Escape highly because of the massive amount of location specific gameplay it adds. Living in Sulani is vastly different to just visiting, and life there is also very different from say Newcrest or Willow Creek. It adds something unique.

Cas/BB is important, and there are game packs that I find myself returning again and again to. Few of my builds are made without something from snowy escape or spa day and if it's an ordinary home movie hangout and parenthood are used all the time. In fact I bought movie hangout because I thought I'd use the cinema a lot, but what I find myself using is the bb items more than anything.

Dine out is in my mind one of the worst ideas for a pack that ever existed. It's buggy, repetitive, there is a lack of variety in game play and limitations that makes little sense - it's also one of those "greedy packs" that exists only because it was a way to make extra money. Restaurants ought to be base game, running them a part of GTW. My wedding stories rates right up there too - as many of the interactions ought to be base game.

Now if I was in charge, the Basegame would include seasons (with weather that can be toggled on and off entirely or by world), most of get together, all interactions in parenthood and restaurants and retails stores.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    That it works properly, the pack has been designed and crafted with care and attention to detail, that bugs and glitches are minimal to non-existent, it has been thoroughly tested, and other such things. Any pack type.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,323 Member
    I think there are two things that particularly make a pack good for me.

One is that a lot of care was put into the details. For example, I love that in Spa Day, when you watch sims doing the yoga class, even if they are all at the same level and they all fail at a specific pose, they do not all fail in the exact same way. Some start shaking and jitter around, some can't reach far enough, some fall over, some just give up. This kind of variety and detail captivates me. The more detail, the happier I am.

The other is that the player is given full control over how and when features of the pack are used. Everything in the pack needs to be optional, including any new systems that affect how the player plays. A good example of this being done well is the fame system. You can have it on for every sim, off for every sim, off for most sims but on for just the ones you want it on for. If you have it on, the things that will raise fame are clearly marked so you can avoid them if you want to progress slowly, or choose them more if you want to progress quickly. And you can quit it by stepping out of the spot light any time you want. I like this. An example (in the same pack) of this being done poorly is the reputation system. It's just on. For every sim. Whether you like it or not. There is no way to get rid of it, and no way to modify it.

So, basically, how much I like a pack amounts to a combination of whether the features included are both optional and detailed.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I tend to gravitate towards packs that have the occult, because to me that makes the game interesting.
    Next up, I like packs that were similar to Sims 2 or Sims 3, because I have a soft spot for the previous versions, and I don't want my Sims 4 not have them.
    Finally, I like packs that work seamlessly together, where you have to think about what pack actually had the item, because it flows so well with another. Seasons is one of those packs that is a pack you don't really think about, but adds so much.
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited March 2022
    I have a very heavy bias for packs that augment the core gameplay (Seasons, Parenthood) or change it meaningfully (Vampires, Get Famous). Seasons basically affects everything and everyone. Parenthood augments the gameplay of every family. Meanwhile Vampires might affect a chosen few but it does so in a very substantial way. The gameplay of a vampire can be vastly different from others. Get Famous has a very similar approach.

Packs I'm usually not a fan of are the ones which basically offer a "brief distraction". E.g. holiday themed ones which require you to travel to a specific location and do a specific thing for a little while. Packs like this often end up being forgotten after trying them out like 2 times. However, I think they CAN be done well depending on how much depth there is and how much advantage they take over their theme.

If you want my opinion on "how NOT to do a pack" then look no further than My Wedding Stories. Technical issues can be fixed. My main issue with it is that they have a very specific theme but then fail to actually add depth to it, not taking advantage of that specific theme. It's just a shallow micromanagement event which is missing all the potential fun drama wedding scenarios could have. Heck, it's called My Wedding STORIES. Yet all the party events are basically copy-pasted with nothing making e.g. bach parties unique and the weddings themselves are missing so much content that should be there. The pack is such a missed opportunity.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    I prefer packs that appeal to many of my households, and preferably on their home ground. Needing to travel somewhere is fine, but then most households will do it just once and the pack becomes non-existing. Functionality is more important than BB/CAS, and functionality affecting social relations or how I organize/plan my sims' everyday/life in general is better that getting one more career. Packs bringing new ways to work from home, even if I must imagine parts of my sim's new business, is great. Packs providing cross pack functionality is also good.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    - Focusing on a single feature and doing it right
    GTW tries to juggle Retail, Aliens and Active careers, and the first two are suffering from that. Strangerville has Sparring as an afterthought. Compare to Bowling Night that does the theme justice with in-depth details (switching into different shoes, themed team shirts and gloves in CAS, the different ball unlocks, an extra skill and even a secret achievement).

- Providing features that imagination cannot
    Fun as it can be to play, a university pack isn't really needed. I can easily gate access to careers and cheat-promote sims that graduate from my imaginary colleges that I ran before the pack released. But I cannot that easily imagine bicycles, cows or little spectres that zip around the lot.
    Especially the bicycles are great value, because modders have used them as bases for different vehicles including a wheelchair and a horse.

Unfortunately EA failed to expand on a sims personality by not giving an extra trait slot for attending University.
    That's what I liked about TS2 University because it felt like your sim had an experience that added to who they are.
    Sometimes I would give out traits that I felt matched my sims Uni experience.

TS3 University added social groups as well for which you could earn an another trait in addition to the academic one.
    TS4 got nothing.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Ok so for me I think I find that I like most packs. So I find that there can be many reasons I will find that a pack is a good one.

So packs that integrate into normal everyday gameplay I tend to like. You can get the full experience in basically any world. And I like packs that will offer a different experience for different sims/households.

But I also like packs that have gameplay specific to one world. I like playing with many different types of sims. So packs that offer a new way to play and the lifestyle and everyday game play feels different than other worlds are good imo. I also like when these type of packs feels different for each sim or household you play with.

A good example is Sulani but the pack doesn't do a good job in being replayable. I don't think we have yet to get a pack that has a world that is both vastly different from other worlds and also has a lot of replayability on a similar scale to Cats and Dogs or Get Famous.

For me dine out is one of my favourite game packs because I use it a lot. Every new world that releases I love making a restaurant that fits the world and making a menu that also fits the world or culture. I also like having my sims go out and eat at restaurants and that's something I do with basically every household I play with.

Seasons is also used a lot. I mean it's one of those packs that are so integrated into every type of gameplay that it's impossible to not play with it.

And ik a lot of ppl don't like mws but after the fixes I think it's a pack I will use a lot so it's probably going to be high up on my list of most used game packs.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I love the Variety and Details. The humor. Occults are vital for my play. Cross-pack compatibility is also super important.

I like that the worlds are all distinct in terms of architecture and foliage. I think my favorite EP is Cottage Living for the farming, the pretty world, and cottages. But I also very much like City Living, which is so completely different. I love being able to send my sims to the Jungle, the city, the countryside and even to another world. I love having lots of options in CAS and BB. I can have a stone temple next to a sleek spa or gym.

I also love the details, both large and small. The sweetness of one sim teaching another sim how to knit, the way I can customize my Vampires so they are all distinct from one another. Sometimes I'll just watch a new sim cooking - it is hilarious! The animals in Cottage Living are wonderful, and I love how much that pack has added to my game. When a Vampire sneaks into a house that has the 'no shoes' rule, they take off their shoes! That's so crazy and so much fun.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    For me, how much it changes up the game. I know a lot of people buy packs to enhance their existing gameplay, but for me I buy them to have completely different experiences. If a pack is in depth enough and different enough to make the game feel exciting and new to me again then it's a great pack in my opinion
  • Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited April 2022
    What makes a Sims expansion a good one?

For me it's changing the way you play to tell more unique stories. Features that add to this playstyle are: apartments, festivals, seasons, cottage living (garden-to-table experience, lot trait that only let's you cook when you have the ingredients), neighbours stopping by, hobbies, likes and dislikes, sentiments, clubs, new careers, cross-pack gameplay, things restricted to age groups that are not YA (e.g. playing with void critters for kids only), the ability to create Sims with skills via story feature in CAS, unique (as in not just a recoloured mesh from another pack or BG) CAS items.
    Things currently not in game that would also add to this playstyle: bands, solo music career (cross gameplay with GF and CL), new instruments, new skills for toddlers and kids (e.g. learning nursery rhymes), new hobbies (e.g. pottery, jewellery making, ballet, sewing), unique interactions for elders (e.g. walking with a cane, yelling at teenagers, telling special bed time stories to toddlers that will make them sleep better).

What makes a Sims expansion boring?

Repetetive tasks (e.g. open careers in GTW), story-based gameplay (Strangerville), just scenery but not much to do (Island Living).
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    The livable worlds, CAS, build objects, gameplays, skills, traits, occults & different cultures. ;)
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    What makes a pack good for me is the gameplay. If it's a theme I am interested in I will use it a lot. When I look at getting a pack I look at what gameplay it brings. Create-a-Sim and Build Buy are extras. I never buy a pack just for CAS Build Buy or the world.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2022
    What makes a pack good is if it expands the base, the core of the gameplay. To expand the core, then there should always be more aspirations and not repeats of the tasks lists but new things to gain, new ways to get them, and new emotions, whims, careers, and of course newer animations and not repeats of the same old objects and interactions. New traits, new trait slots and of course, new townies, new NPCs, and new consequences.

The Sims should always be the focus of any pack, never the player. What happens to the Sim, how the Sim feels about stuff, what interaction and or memory and or consequence will change it's life forever? Or at least for a very long time. Gameplay matters, so much more than something to do temporarily and or decor but of course decor adds to immersion. But gameplay should always expand the soul of the Sim. It's not a race to the top or bottom but the journey.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    What makes a pack good is if it expands the base, the core of the gameplay. To expand the core, then there should always be more aspirations and not repeats of the tasks lists but new things to gain, new ways to get them, and new emotions, whims, careers, and of course newer animations and not repeats of the same old objects and interactions. New traits, new trait slots and of course, new townies, new NPCs, and new consequences.

The Sims should always be the focus of any pack, never the player. What happens to the Sim, how the Sim feels about stuff, what interaction and or memory and or consequence will change it's life forever? Or at least for a very long time. Gameplay matters, so much more than something to do temporarily and or decor but of course decor adds to immersion. But gameplay should always expand the soul of the Sim. It's not a race to the top or bottom but the journey.

I agree.
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    For me, what makes a pack good is if it sparks ideas and sets my imagination going.

I mean, I get why people find Strangerville boring, but I've played through it 6 times with a different angle on the story each time. Just like Romeo and Juliet was retold as (among others) both West Side Story and Warm Bodies, there are ways to hit the same story beats but keep the story itself new and interesting.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate new gameplay and new worlds, but if the worlds don't get my imagination going, I may as well be playing in Willow Creek or Oasis Springs. And if the Gameplay doesn't enhance the stories I'm inspired to tell, it may as well not be there, because I'm never going to use it.

For me it's all about the story I both create and discover with my Sims.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,572 Member
    Similar to what others are saying, I just need packs to inspire some creativity and inspire a little imagination to get new households and stories going. My sims do everything from vacuuming and laundry to vampire lifestyles and living on the alien side. For the most part I find the worlds offer me inspiration for some new families. Assuming they're still working off of the community polls from a couple of years back, I hope we're inching toward getting the rest of the supernatural forms in ahead of whatever mundane pack is in the works.
  • TawkTawk Posts: 23 Member
    My favorite is the Vampire Pack, because of the gothic collection of clothing and furniture.

So, yea, what makes packs good is what inspires each of us.