Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Neighbourhood Stories: What Are Your Settings?

Comments

• EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I'm waiting for "Fall in Love" "Get Married" and "Get Divorced" options before I use it in my game. Currently it seems incomplete but so far it's looking really good, I like all the customization options.

You can still hook sims up with the advice phonecalls, etc. They don't need to be married to have kids together as the blog just mentioned "SO" - I assume any partner or higher would work for that, possibly even uncommitted lovers.

The autonomous option will likely come whenever we get a chemistry system, so they can do it in a way that makes sense.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Has anyone seen if the "move in" and "move out" options together splits up households? Like when teens grow up, do they move out on their own?
    I'm curious if it actually does a decent job of having a move-in feature, or if it is just a fancy shell game with sim households as the bean and homes as the shells.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Important to note! If you do want to disable the neighborhood stories periodically like I’m doing, use the checkbox in Game Options under Gameplay to do so globally.
    I just tried using the option at the top of Manage Households and it disabled them for anyone without custom settings, but those I had customized continued having updates. I’d have to open each of those households and disable them individually. So I realized it was just easier to use the big global one.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,572 Member
    I didn't actually notice it at first, but played households are automatically off for Neighborhood Stories unless you turn the options on. I'm bad about not reading the instructions on things so I probably should have known but at least now I don't have to micromanage my older saves quite as much.
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,013 Member
    @EmmaVane Thanks! I should have reread the tips and guides! :# Seems like I was remembering Sims 3. Didn't other sims move in with established households every so often in that version?
  • wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    If I have don't fill empty homes as my default setting does the move in option override that?
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,542 Member
    wahini2024 wrote: »
    If I have don't fill empty homes as my default setting does the move in option override that?
    From what people are saying here, yes it does override it.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    I've now got 4 different setups.

My default for "My Housholds" that are unplayed is to allow them to have babies and adopt pets, nothing else.
    My settings for "My Households" that are played is to turn it off entirely.
    My default for "Other Households" is to turn on everything except random move outs and deaths.
    My custom setting for "Other Households" which are elderly sims is to turn on only random deaths and retirement. (MCCC moves elder sims here automatically with my settings).

These are basically what I'm doing as well. Most premades are in "Other", and I turned off deaths when I got the notification that Moira Fyres had died of laughter. This is a save where I've done makeovers of all premades, so uhh....yeah. Besides, she is always so sweet and friendly. I happened to see her ghost right after the notification, so all thanks to MCCC, I saved her and moved her back in with her family. Phew. Straight to "Manage Households" and turned that setting off. Same with moving out. I don't like when premade families move to places they "don't belong". :D
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I really hate to sound ignorant here, but can someone tell me where I can find the menu for settings on this new thing? According to what's on default, that' all that's going on, it's a trifle boring. I just don't know where or how to adjust the settings. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    @GalacticGal There are some screenshots on the official blog that can guide you:

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/neighborhood-stories-system
    babajayne wrote: »
    @GalacticGal There are some screenshots on the official blog that can guide you:

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/neighborhood-stories-system

Thank you so much!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • aparkisonaparkison Posts: 135 Member
    I had to turn off accidental deaths for awhile (well, except for a Sim I'm targeting), because they were starting to drop like flies. So many deaths!
    Yeah, I can see why. I read part of a thread earlier today listing all of the deaths made possible via this patch. :open_mouth: I'll have to think about just how I wish to set up things, now that I've been directed to a very helpful article.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I really like this update. I had everything on at first, but I am customizing for each household now. The adoption rate is high compared to pregnancy, so I will switch that one off for a bit as well as the accidental death one. So far I really prefer customizing households individually, but the mass settings feature will be useful if I want to add a lot of pets or babies in future. I like switching over to the households that have news to play them a bit. So far I get around 2-3 news updates per Sim day.
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Poor Salim Benali managed to die sticking his finger in a light socket. :D And Penny Pizzazz adopted TWO children in her tiny studio apartment, I think I might need to move her to something more suitable. I am really enjoying this feature and hope they'll add more options.
  • cornflake88cornflake88 Posts: 368 Member
    The Caliente household adopted a child and then the game moved them out. I moved them back in and set them to not move. The BBF household adopted a child and 3 dogs! I made Willow Creek Park cat and dog friendly so hopefully they may visit with their pets
  • UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    I’m fidgeting with my settings as I play rotationally while setting up my base/AU save. So here’s a few things that I do.

I have specific settings for played households, each is different. For example Bob and Eliza adopted a cat (I gave them my own CAS version of Iggy) so I turned off the adopt pet feature. Now the only option selected for them at the moment is “can retire” but, Eric and Alice can only retire or have a baby and once they have a baby, I’ll turn that option off and add “adopt a cat/dog” on my next rotation back to them. Once my sims complete a goal I’ve set for them, I remove that option.

The Sages and Father Winter have all options turned off.

Households that I haven’t rotated to yet only have the option to join a career. Everything else is turned off until I play the household. If I don’t like the career or they didn’t pick one, I choose it and then turn off that option for them.

I set death by accident to Vlad only. I plan on using it for other households but for now, he’s the only one that gets that honor…I think he might still be alive. Don’t quote me on that.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    I’m fidgeting with my settings as I play rotationally while setting up my base/AU save. So here’s a few things that I do.

I have specific settings for played households, each is different. For example Bob and Eliza adopted a cat (I gave them my own CAS version of Iggy) so I turned off the adopt pet feature. Now the only option selected for them at the moment is “can retire” but, Eric and Alice can only retire or have a baby and once they have a baby, I’ll turn that option off and add “adopt a cat/dog” on my next rotation back to them. Once my sims complete a goal I’ve set for them, I remove that option.

The Sages and Father Winter have all options turned off.

Households that I haven’t rotated to yet only have the option to join a career. Everything else is turned off until I play the household. If I don’t like the career or they didn’t pick one, I choose it and then turn off that option for them.

I set death by accident to Vlad only. I plan on using it for other households but for now, he’s the only one that gets that honor…I think he might still be alive. Don’t quote me on that.

I have also turned it off for these sims. I don't want them to loose their special roles because they move into a house. I find it odd that the system is by default enabled for these special sims. Are there any other sims that loose their role if they move into a lot.
  • ZiafarZiafar Posts: 701 Member
    I have a special save to test the neighbourhood stories. I noticed that in fact you do not only get news of people in your neighbourhood but also from elsewhere. At first I allowed everything for My households and other households. Got a lot of babies and adoptions, and two moving out. The two moved out families did not move in en empty house or appartement, they were just «not in the world». What I am afraid of is that the employees of my restaurants, whose competence have been maxed out might loose their job and be replaced by others with low competence.
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 997 Member
    Decided to turn off Move Out and Adopt Kids - game kept giving grannies new adopted babies. I also like to play with genetics for my couples so don't want a flood of adoptees. Kept have a new baby for couples but game is tending to give those couples who are almost elders new births so will keep an eye on it. Sure their teens can take care of the new sib but in some cases the kids are already married when their parents have a new baby. Keeping adopt pets - if I get an ugly one I change it. Any families I don't want changes for are still in My Households but most of them are in Other households. The deaths seem to have slowed down a lot and some of the move ins etc. give me a chance to get creative with my game so I like them. But most move outs just don't cut it for me.
    edited March 2022
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I have also turned it off for these sims. I don't want them to loose their special roles because they move into a house. I find it odd that the system is by default enabled for these special sims. Are there any other sims that loose their role if they move into a lot.

Because they do not lose their special role if they move into a house, only if you actually go into LIVE mode playing them. Which makes it safer to not move them into a house in the first place, but ultimately moving into a house alone is not a problem. There are no sim roles in the game where just moving them into a house, if you never enter LIVE mode with them, is a problem.

More dangerous for those special sims than the move-in option is the career change option as some of the special roles involve a career flag as well. So it is the right move to have neighborhood stories OFF for them, regardless
    Post edited by Stormkeep on
  • Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    edited March 2022
    Right now, I am playing a save that has everything on except move out. This is for every household except my played household, which allows nothing. I think I may turn off adoptions. That is the only thing that seems excessive right now. I have had a few deaths. But as this save is new, I am not upset about it. So far, the deaths seem appropriate. I lost a couple of sims to Mt Komorebi, one to electrical shock, one to heat exhaustion, and one to a cowplant.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I'm still confused about how to actually change individual households.

The patch notes say, "To change configurations, just select Manage Worlds in the Options menu, and then select Manage Households. From there, you can choose either My Households or Other Households, and then configure the Neighborhood Stories by selecting the button at the top-right for all the Households in that tab. Or you can configure them separately per Household, using the Neighborhood Stories button in each Household."

Well, I'm in Manage Households, but when I click on a household, I don't see a "Neighborhood Stories" button anywhere. Not in the menu popup, nor do I see it if I go all the way into CAS.
    edited March 2022
    @Amapola76, the botton appears on each household before you click on them, in the "manage households" interface. it is right next to the heart button that can be used to send them back and forth between "my" and "other" households.

Picture is worth a thousand words, the button in question which appears at both the top and on each household within manage households; follow the yellow arrow:
    47009e1ed193b657ca43e0520f9384727d76adca.jpg
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    @Amapola76, the botton appears on each household before you click on them, in the "manage households" interface. it is right next to the heart button that can be used to send them back and forth between "my" and "other" households.

Picture is worth a thousand words, the button in question which appears at both the top and on each household within manage households; follow the yellow arrow:
    47009e1ed193b657ca43e0520f9384727d76adca.jpg

Thanks, the pictures definitely helped.

It also doesn't work at all the way I would have preferred. I was hoping for something more like the Fame system, where you can turn it off globally and then still edit individuals. So I had gone into options as soon as I opened the game, and turned off the global toggle for Neighborhood Stories. But then there was no option to turn on individual households in Manage Households, which is why the buttons weren't originally showing up for me. So I had to turn the global option back on, and then the buttons appeared so that individual households could be edited.

I really don't love that they set it up that way. The only small mercy is that at least it was defaulted to off for "My Households." However, I play rotationally, and I have a LOT of households, which means that there are several that I rotate in and out of "My Households" and "Other Households." So it's going to take hours to get it set up to the point where I feel comfortable playing my main save without worrying about what will happen to all the households I care about. Thankfully, I only opened it up today because the kids are all off doing their own things this weekend, so for once I have the house to myself and can do whatever I want. :D