Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Extreme lag when switching from build to live mode

SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
Hi everyone

Just wanted to ask if anybody else is experiencing this bug: whenever I switch from build mode to live mode, live mode freezes for about 20-30 seconds - time freezes and sims don't do anything. After 20-30 seconds, everything goes back to normal.

I've been experiencing this since the last patch that dropped. Is it a known bug? Tried without and with mods, no change, so it's not the mods...

Thank you for reading
Dakota
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited March 2022
    Hello Dakota.

Yes, that has been a bug for a while. Here is the Answer HQ Report: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-PC-MAC-Massive-Lag-when-entering-and-exiting-BuyBuild-Mode/td-p/9204644

Maxis have released patches that are supposed to fix it, but people still seem to have this issue.

A workaround is to click the pause button (... in the upper right) then the lag will disappear for most people. But you have to do that every time you enter/exit build mode.
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    Thank you for your answer, will try the pause button thing!
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,966 Member
    Yeah I get that sometimes. I just click on the calendar and that helps.
    the pause button thing doesn't work for me sadly :(
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited March 2022
    Dakota88 wrote: »

Which world are you playing in? I still get a lot of lag in Henford on Bagley, but other worlds seem to be working better.

Try a new game and see if you still have lag, maybe it's because you are playing an older save or have a lot of things on your lot, mirrors, fountains and cc can drain performance.
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    Try going into a character's profile. That's usually how I get rid of the lag.
  • JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 908 Member
    I have this problem, but I always assumed it was all my CC.
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    I thought they fixed this in the last patch. I saw an article on Sims Community that recommended repairing the game after the patch. It fixed the lag for a little while, but now it it's back again. I get the lag when I enter and exit photo mode, too. Hitting escape and waiting a couple of seconds seems to do the trick for me.
    logion wrote: »

Which world are you playing in? I still get a lot of lag in Henford on Bagley, but other worlds seem to be working better.

Try a new game and see if you still have lag, maybe it's because you are playing an older save or have a lot of things on your lot, mirrors, fountains and cc can drain performance.

I'm playing in Willow Creek and it is a five house lot with lots of things on it. Don't have a lot CC though...
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    logion wrote: »

I'm playing in Willow Creek and it is a five house lot with lots of things on it. Don't have a lot CC though...

When you have a lot that has too much going on, lots of furniture, clutter, etc. it will bog down the game because everything has to be loaded and accounted for, especially if Sims can interact with it. This can also happen when Sim inventories have too much in them.
    #Team Occult
  • CareyEve36CareyEve36 Posts: 287 Member
    Tabbing in and out of the game sometimes works but not always /:
  • SimCrazySimCrazy Posts: 9,908 Member
    If I clear my notifications, it stops the lag for me
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    unfortunately this issue has been around for at least 3/4 years. I remember having this issue around 2018 as well.... I don't see them fixing it anytime soon tbh.
    They keep claiming there are fixes but they never work. If anything, I won't be surprised if it isn't gonna be fixed at all.
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    @Dakota88 When you leave build mode, click save and it should go away. Doing this has always worked for me.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • TwinMagicTwinMagic Posts: 23 Member
    Hmm... actually it happens to be also something similar... I'm playing on an XBOX Series S, game gets too lagged almost freeze then it gets a better not fully ok, but you can play.
    If its too laggy I just do a save and load and it gets fixed.. I thought it was something like a RAM memory limitation...
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    @Dakota88 When you leave build mode, click save and it should go away. Doing this has always worked for me.

Like before leaving build mode or after before you unpause the game?
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    The way the OP described it is much more extreme than I typically get, but I don’t play in huge lots with 5 structures. I just get choppiness when it happens. I click on the ellipses (…) and click back out. I don’t even have to hit “save” and it gets rid of the problem 98% of the time. You can also hit Escape twice for the same effect. Although, a few days ago I had some choppiness in Del Sol Valley (the lower end residential area) and I had to reboot the game to get rid of it.
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member

Just casually dropping in, I think this person means AFTER. Since it states "when you leave". But that's just my estimated guess.
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I pull up the menu that has save, quite, and settings. The three little dots, it works pretty much every time for me.
    Thanks everyone for your kind and helpful comments. Unfortunately clicking ... doesn't solve it for me. :( I don't play on the lot, just building on it for my save file (so my Sims neighbours have nice homes). But I do playtest it because my Sims might visit so it should be playable. This is when I noticed something was wrong.
    Jean wrote: »

Just casually dropping in, I think this person means AFTER. Since it states "when you leave". But that's just my estimated guess.

Thank you Jean, I will try that.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    Dakota88 When you leave build mode, click save and it should go away. Doing this has always worked for me.

You don't actually have to save--although I recommend saving often--just bring the menu up. It works for me as well.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
    edited March 2022
    Bringing the menu up doesn't help, but saving actually does! Everything is back to normal after saving. But saving does take some time too, so I dunno if it really saves time and is faster than just waiting like 20-30 seconds haha
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    I noticed if I open the settings menu and then exit the menu the lag stops. But I understand how you feel, this was a major reason why I haven't played the game in a while because I was still suffering from this bug.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top