Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What kind of content do you prefer ?

Β«1
LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
Hi,
  • The Sims 1 came with Expansion Packs
  • The Sims 2 added Stuff Packs
  • The Sims 3 expanded the Store
  • The Sims 4 created Game Packs and Kits

But what type of DLC does Maxis do well ?

What kind of content do you prefer ? 146 votes

Expansion Pack
71%
crocobauracanitbemanCK213ClothoStormkeepleigheIsb917SusanaLeoteshellbemeFabooshelanorbretonCynnaheiblumestismheadFlashMarkerMoon_WillowCinebarToriemueller_liteMilutinMujovic 104 votes
Stuff Pack
0%
LadyAmberly 1 vote
Store
3%
airotciv54duhboy2u2elelunicyClarionOfJoyuserafw 5 votes
Game Pack
19%
LeGardePourprePlayerSinger2010Mariefoxprice83simgirl1010EmmaVaneEnkiSchmidtLiELFSheepilingcalipossZiafarCattyBetsysuperkyle221WildIrishBansheeGlacierSnowSeashoreLivianerdfashionDaepheneRhain420VyollaMeowchaFrappe 29 votes
Kit
0%
VenusABatson 1 vote
Free content
4%
DanmanNefariusChadSims2HahcbeachwavesTawkpvrescue1Jotaerre3D 6 votes

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited March 2022
    Expansion Pack
    EP all the way. I'd rather pay more to get more every single time.

I also like to supersize when I get fast food...

If there was an option for just "Worlds" like how TS3 used to sell standalone worlds, I'd probably have voted for that, or at the very least given it an honorable mention. I love new worlds more than even new gameplay sometimes.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    Game Pack
    I prefer Game Packs.

The most of time EPs are too much a pack of samples, the gameplay seems to be incomplete.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Expansion Pack
    EPs. The most is the most. Not that I haven't like GPs, SPs, or kits in the past, but regular fully fleshed out expansions are the golden age it seems.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    edited March 2022
    Game Pack
    While I love expansion packs, I've really loved the game packs and there have been a couple of EPs that seemed be somewhat overpriced.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    Game Pack
    I love them all, honestly. Other than the Store - hated that for Sims 2, and since I didn't have 3, I didn't have to worry about more overpriced nonsense in that iteration.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    edited March 2022
    Honestly this is hard to answer because gps and eps are both good when done well and non game breaking way

and they focus on gameplay instead of aesthetics

but theres many times the eps just add too much of some visual clutter i really don't care for to add only small thing i actually care for

and for that gp would kinda be better cause its less items

but even so they often get distracted creating everything but gameplay

what i feel shouldn't be thing tho is stuff packs, kits and store

with sims 2 and 3 i never really bought stuff packs

with ts4 I'm kind of forced to if i want the freaking gameplay they keep sneakily putting in them

kits wouldn't even be so bad if the game wasn't already bloated with random similar item x 10 taking the space of unique items they could offer

in short:all I want is gameplay without whole game breaking
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Game Pack
    I prefer game packs. I'm a very slow player and sometimes expansion packs just feel too overwhelming.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,301 Member
    Game Pack
    I really like the game packs. Expansion packs often try to include way too many different things, and they often end up shallow. Also, because there are so many different things in Expansion packs, there is a higher chance that there is something in there that I really don't want (as in, it would interfere with the way I play and annoy me), which makes it harder to decide if I will get the pack or not. Game packs generally have not had this issue for me. I either want them, or I don't. I just wish that more of the game packs came with new worlds.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    Game Pack
    Voted "game packs", but I would happily chosen "expansion packs" too if more than an option had been available.

The reason why my first choice is GPs instead of EPs is that sometimes I don't like the way an EP will radically change the gameplay, e.g. in the introduction of the celebrity status. While with GPs the changes are usually more like an add-on or extra feature that if I don't want to use in a certain game I'm free to ignore (vampire being an exception).
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Expansion Pack
    Went with EP, but GP is a close second. What I look for is how much content of whatever nature exists that fits my play style. Added in is the complaint and disappointment factor expressed in the forums. Saved myself a lot of grief that way. I also wait for sales.

Will confess to being influenced by past experience in TS1 & TS2, where EPs were done well and really enriched my gaming experience. Will stick neck out here and say that TS1 packs seem to have given the greatest boost per pack. When something was changed/added it was significant. Those of TS2 are not far behind.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Expansion Pack
    The Worlds & Gameplays are better.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    I used to say that I prefer GPs over EPs, but recent additions to the game have turned this upside down. The last three EPs for TS4 (Cottage Living, Snowy Escape, Eco Lifestyle) quickly became some of my favourites, whereas the last three GPs (My Wedding Stories, Dream Home Decorator, Journey to Batuu) completely fell flat for me and are the only bigger packs I don’t own.

Right now I'm actually leaning towards free content, because some of the coolest game-changing additions came for free, and if we don’t like it, at least we don’t have to pay for it. I do wish they would stop giving us new food recipes, though... I'm undecided.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Expansion Pack
    I marked I prefer EPs. However, I think Maxis did GPs very well the first few years better than EPs. But EPs were better in older games.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Expansion Pack
    Free stuff is always nice, but expansion packs always provide the most content.

Second place goes to SDX and the stuff we get with patches. This allows small additions to gameplay, CAS, or Build/Buy that doesn't fit into packs well to be added and improve gameplay.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    Expansion Pack
    I chose Expansion Packs, but I also prefer Game and Stuff Packs. You get the most content and game play with all 3. I purchased all EPs and SPs for the first 2 games. I purchased most of the EP's and SPs from Sims 3 (need to complete the collection). I have some of the EPs, GPs, SPs and Kits from Sims 4. I have been pickier in Sims 4 because some of the content doesn't interest me and I lost interest in the game itself.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Free content
    I guess free updates like toddlers and Spa Day update the packs really have not added much excitement to the game the themes are so empty and basic I expect more I played older Sim games that were done right.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 371 Member
    Expansion Pack
    While I do like some free content, I prefer full fledged expansion packs. As their name implies, they expand on existing content while adding more on top. I get more customization options for my Sims, my houses, lots, and town that I might not have been able to find with CC. It also gives me more skills, potential careers, gameplay options, new towns, and even small little details to enhance the world.

Of course this only really applies to good expansions packs that give you your bang for your buck and aren't half-finished products like certain expansion packs.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Expansion Pack
    Older games = expansion packs
    Sims 4 = I enjoyed mostly Game Packs, but there are some good expansion packs here and there.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Expansion Pack
    This is an obvious win. New things to do, new world, new type of play to add to your games, and usually EP adds to nearly every part of the game.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    not on the poll but i say all of the above
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    Expansion Pack
    Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I prefer EPs to have "sets" aka related themed Build/Buy and CAS content that we would usually see in a stuff pack or kit
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Expansion Pack
    Obviously expansions as they add the most, but game packs have been pretty good in 4. Most of my favorite packs so far in this game are game packs rather than EPs
  • GjumaTheGodGjumaTheGod Posts: 11 New Member
    I want to see more realistic gameplay to be vague.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Expansion Pack
    I prefer EPs, but with a lot more content like they were done during the TS2 era.
  • iThreeMusketsiThreeMuskets Posts: 11 New Member
    Expansion Pack
    The thing that makes EP's the best is literally in it's name, "expansion," I mean seriously, EP's always add so much to your game whether that be in CAS, Build Mode, or in the Gameplay, EP's make the game more fun.