Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Through the Ages Challenge: Take your sims from the Stone Age into the Future!

SharlaSedaiSharlaSedai Posts: 56 Member
Ok, so it seems to me that there was a challenge along this line, but so help me, I can't find it, so I made my own and want to see what you all think. I call it the Through the Ages challenge. Each Age is five generations long, though if this is too long for you, feel free to shorten it because it does make for a very long challenge.

I started my Sims out in a completely empty world in the Stone Age. In this age, you cannot grow any crops, but can only eat what you gather from the wild or fish for in the lake/ocean. Most of your sim's time will be spent gathering food and storing for the winter. You can eat veggies/fruits raw or roast them over a fire pit; you can also roast fish over the fire pit. Because this is the Sims 3, I do allow bathing because your sims will get very grouchy if you don't. If you have it available, the all in one bathroom works very well for this. I made a cave with rocks piled around using the moo cheat and I like the asethetic very much. Obviously, any modern convenience cannot be bought or used in any way, including phones. If you want to visit your neighbors, you'll have to do it the old fashioned way by going to their house. Woohoo must be done at least once in a sim week and all woohoo must be try for baby. Life span is on Short. All seasons must be active and all weather appropriate to your world must be active. No jobs can be taken in this age.

The second age is the beginning of civilization and a village. You can build a one-room hut for your sim/family. If you wish, you can put in one community lot for your sims to gather at. You may place things on this lot, but only things that would be of this time frame, like a fire pit/bonfire. You can begin to plant crops, but only ones that would work naturally in your world's environment, so no bananas in a North European world. Same rules about woohoo, life span, jobs, and weather as in the first age.

The third age is the beginning of the Middle ages. You can build a proper house for your sim, but no more than two rooms big. You can continue to plant crops, but if you have pets, you can tame an animal to bring into your household, but they must be tamed from strays/wild. Dogs/cats could actually be added in any age, but like I said, the pets must be tamed, not adopted or created. Horses can't be added until this age. You can, of course, breed your pets once you have added them to your household. You may place a Town hall and a grocery in this age. Some really good ones come with the Dragon Valley and Monte Viste worlds from the Sims 3 store. Same rules about woohoo, life span, and weather apply. You may go into politics in this age, and you may sell your produce to the grocery. (if anyone has more ideas about what other jobs would be appropriate to any age, please feel free to comment.)

The fourth age is Medieval age. (my personal favorite :D) In this age, you can expand the house from the previous age by two more rooms on a second floor and can have a stove and refrigerator if you wish. (cold storage was discovered, though most was in cold water or in boxes made of stone). Things obviously didn't keep for long, so no leftovers can be put in the Fridge. Of course, gardening is fine, and you should have some domesticated animals by now. If you have the store content, you can add a chicken coop and cows to your lot. Some more things can be added to your community lot such as the archery range from Dragon Valley, chess tables, telescopes, and easels. You can add a hospital and military to this age and have the corresponding jobs. If you want to make it truly authentic, then women cannot yet work outside the home, but that is a choice I leave up to you, lol. Same rules about woohoo and weather apply, but life span can be bumped up to the next level.

The fifth age is the Renissance age. You can have a house of five/six rooms including an indoor bathroom, though no showers, only tubs or you can continue to use the all in one bathroom if you have it available. You can add a school and police station to this age and take those jobs. Same rules about woohoo, life span, and weather apply. University can also be attended, but again, if you want it authentic, no females can go. :'(

Sixth age is the Industrial Revolution/Victorian age. All other jobs/professions can be placed in this age and if you kept it authentic in the last ages, females can begin to go to college and hold jobs in this one, though it was still frowned upon. Same rules about woohoo and weather apply, but life span can be bumped to the next level.

Seventh age is Late Nineteenth century/turn of the century. Woohoo does not have to be only try for baby and it can be whenever you want, but life span is still the same.

Eighth age is the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's decades. Life span can be on long, but not epic.

Ninth age is the modern era. Same life span as previous age.

If you have the Into the Future XP, then the Tenth age can be the future with all that goes with that. Life span can be on epic.

So, let me know what you think and if you decide to try it, please post some screenies for the rest of us! I'd love to see them! Happy Simming :D
Post edited by SharlaSedai on

Comments

• SharlaSedaiSharlaSedai Posts: 56 Member
    Bump! o:)
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited May 2016
    This challenge sounds really fun... not sure I could handle 5 gens of them earlier years (what on earth do you do for fun... for you and your sim???). Also, do you know of any empty world's that has harvestables, that would be good to start this challenge in?

I might give it a try though soon. I just might tweak some of it to make it more enjoyable for me. I'll see.

Thanks for sharing it! :)
    p8L4V6v.png
    edited June 2016
    By all means, feel free to tweak away! ;) This was just something that I came up with that I thought could be fun, and it is, but it is a challenge as well. Yes, keeping people's fun up in the early ages is difficult, that's for sure. Talking and telling jokes seems to help, but I wouldn't have a problem with things like the hacky sack from University being used. The main thing is just to keep what you're doing true to the time period. It was very hard to find random plants in the wild, so if you want to, you could put a small community lot with a few plants on it to help with the gathering issue. I used Dragon Valley for my world, but I think about any of them would work. You could even have this in a tropical setting and go jungle with it. If you wished, you could turn this into a Patriarchy/Matriarchy as well. So glad you commented and I hope you enjoy! As I said, feel free to post screenies if you play!
    Any one else interested in this? :*:p
    Another thing that can be done in the early ages to raise fun is telling ghost stories (if you can ignore the flashlight, lol). I have my adult sims do it to my child, teen and young adult sims, and I pretend that they are passing down their oral traditions to the younger generation.
  • NGCManNGCMan Posts: 442 Member
    11th age: Going to space! (A.k.a. using Edit Town to make it look like a planet.) Life span can be on epic.
  • brappl218brappl218 Posts: 150 Member
    SharlaSedai,
    Is this the challenge you were looking for? nraas.wikispaces.com/Sims+Through+The+Ages
    See the first link at the top of the page.
    brappl
    NraasSignature.png
    edited May 2016
    brappl218 Yes, I think this is the one, thanks so much for finding it for me! The main difference between them is that I had my Sims stay in one location, and so I didn't focus on the different cultures, just time periods.

NGCMan That sounds like a good idea! You could also have your sims move to another world, like Lunar Lakes.

I just had an idea about money; I started out my first sims at five hundred simoles, because bills. :/ At the beginning of each new age, you should reduce your money back to five hundred more than the start of the previous age. For example, first age starts with 500 simoles, second age start with 1,000 simoles, third age starts with 1,500 simoles, ect. I didn't like how much money my Sims ended up with, but I didn't think about doing this. :p
    kdl3d5.jpg
    This is a picture of the outside of my Sim's cave.
    e99cax.jpg34gmx01.jpg
    A couple of pictures of the inside and of my Sims. ( they are dressed for bed, this is not what they usually wear)
  • NGCManNGCMan Posts: 442 Member
    That sounds like a good idea! You could also have your sims move to another world, like Lunar Lakes.

I just had an idea about money; I started out my first sims at five hundred simoleons, because bills. :/ At the beginning of each new age, you should reduce your money back to five hundred more than the start of the previous age. For example, first age starts with 500 simoleons, second age start with 1,000 simoleonss, third age starts with 1,500 simoleons, etc. I didn't like how much money my Sims ended up with, but I didn't think about doing this. :p

I thought about making another world to make the planet.

Everybody, we need more ages!

(Yes, you can make as much planets as you wish.)
  • trishyjacktrishyjack Posts: 49 Member
    I like this challenge, I'm going to try it. But what do you do about school?
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I'm doing a mash up of your challenge and the other one linked here (I'm sticking to one generation per era... much more my pace)... But I found some good Stone Age CC items. Thought you might like them.

Screenshot_53.jpg

The toddler in one of the cribs

Screenshot_55.jpg

The baby in the other crib

Screenshot_49.jpg

Sorry the pictures are dark. Can't have any lights. But here's one (not with all the stuff, but you can see some of it) that is brighter...

Screenshot_51.jpg

here's the Stone Age Set. It's a little down from the top.
    p8L4V6v.png
    edited May 2016
    trishyjack wrote: »
    I like this challenge, I'm going to try it. But what do you do about school?
    Unfortunately, they can't go to school until the Renissance age. Since the school is not placed, the school bus doesn't come around to pick any one up, but the game won't let you pick the traits from child to teen or from teen to young adult because of them not going to school. But for me that's fine, because I enjoy the random traits anyway. I do pick the two when they are born and when they age from toddler to child, so that gives them 3 picked traits and 2 random traits.

• Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    edited May 2016
    Gonna try this ^.^ Might go farther than one generation per era though
    What is the best world to shell out for this?
    edited May 2016
    Gonna try this ^.^ Might go farther than one generation per era though
    What is the best world to shell out for this?
    I used Dragon Valley because I like the world and the style of building, but it's really personal preference. Dragon Valley has more of a fantasy or Northern European style, whereas Monte Vista has a more Italian/Spanish vibe to it. But like I said in another post, you could do this-with a few tweaks-in a jungle setting, or on an island, or whatever suits your play style.

edited May 2016
    20hskdg.jpg2udujh0.jpg Some pics from my Medieval Period. For some reason, I love taking pictures in the winter, don't I, lol
    just a "little" bump ;)
  • SamiNY623SamiNY623 Posts: 128 Member
    This looks really cool! I'm currently playing TS4, but I may try it with that :smile:
    Anyone still doing this challenge? :p
    Hey, everyone; it's been a long time since I've checked this thread, and I have had to start all over with my challenge due to it being deleted by accident. :'( I was wondering if anyone who commented has done more with this or if anyone else is interested in it. Let me know, cheers! :D
  • CayteaCrisisCayteaCrisis Posts: 1 New Member
    I legit just found out about this Challenge and I'm going to try to do it with Sims 4. The only problem is that you have no option but to send your kids to school as they'll be taken away if you don't, and thunderstorms make it impossible to not need a separate food source for your sims if you're relying on the campfire to roast fish all the time (I'm trying to adhere to the challenge as much as possible.)

I've also made a shelter for the babies to grow in so there's no risk of them being zapped by lightning or dying of hypothermia while in the Stone Age.

This is also no "You can advance stages when yada, yada, yada" so I've made it to where five generations must live in the Stone Age (due to short lifespan) before I can move onto the next one that way I'm getting a real feel for it.

I also know that Sims 4 has the Decades Challenge, but I want to try this one out and see how it goes as well.

I'll keep everyone posted with any work arounds I've had to do with this Challenge if you're interested.