Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your thoughts on some Packs (please)…

Considering getting some new content.
Specifically looking at maybe some combination of Snowy Escape, Cottage Living, Dream Home Decorator, Strangerville, Paranormal stuff and Cool Kitchen stuff.

If I can get it down to one bundle instead of two, awesome. Also considering both game packs and a stuff pack which works out to about the same price with the current sale…. (maybe that way I don’t get quite so much extra content though?..)

I <3 simple building like furnishing apartments. Possibly want a new world or two. Play around in CAS all the time making all sorts of new characters which I then make a starter home for, play for a bit; then rinse and repeat.
I like playing with cats and dogs but uncertain whether farming is my thing…
Frequently but not always my Sims will be occult. Ghosts, magic users etc welcome.
I really do like the cool kitchen stuff and can get disappointed when a gallery build utilises it but I can’t. Ditto dream home. That one would be about the objects, not the career probably.
Strangerville looks cool but does it have a lot of longevity??

Thoughts please.

Comments

• ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    How many and what types of packs does a bundle include?
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited March 2022
    Out of the list you gave, I love Cottage Living and StrangerVille the most They both have good furniture selection and the worlds are very cool. I use the stuff all the time in all my builds. I tend to create houses or renovate them.

StrangerVille for me is a one play thing. I do the mystery in every new save as sometimes it’s a good way to start a new game with it. I have only played the mystery twice in one save but with a different family but found it was repetitive.

If you build apartments the furniture with Paranormal Stuff is good, very lived in look.

Snowy Escapes is ok.

Cool Kitchen to me is underwhelming as it only came with one kitchen set. The ice cream machine is the best feature.

I prefer to do my own renovations so Dream Home Decorator has never appealed to me.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    For building, I really like DHD and Cool Kitchen. I've used the cabinets from both packs a lot. Plus, the fridge and sink from CK, and the stoves and ovens from DHD are in nearly every single one of my builds. I also really like the counters/cabinets in Cottage Living and Jungle Adventure.

For gameplay, I couldn't play without Parenthood and Seasons. Since I don't see them on your list, I assume you have those already.

I did play around a bit with the Paranormal stuff, and the sounds are creepy and it was kind of interesting. The Haunted House lot type is useful for me in Forgotten Hollow (Vampires).

The animals in Cottage Living are a bit overwhelming but I love Henford-on-Bagley. Also some really good B/B stuff in that pack too.

I don't really play a lot with Snowy Escape. I mainly use it as a vacation world. Same with Sulani. No sims live in either in my personal game.

If I were building a bundle, of the ones you've listed, I would go with CoL, DHD, and Paranormal. That's just me though. It depends solely on your playstyle. Paranormal is probably the best stuff pack in the series because it feels like there's more to it than just stuff.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,877 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »
    How many and what types of packs does a bundle include?

An Origin Sims bundle is an Expansion, a Game pack and a Stuff pack
    @ncisGibbs02 ( <3 that show BTW). Helpful comments. I adore a good starter, lived in look so that does appeal.

@SweetieWright_84 Indeed I have Seasons, Parenthood and many of the other packs. I never thought of combining Paranormal with vamps but can see how that would work well. Thanks,
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited March 2022
    My favorite packs out of those was Dream Home Decorator, Paranormal and Cool Kitchen, but if a bundle is an EP, GP and SP, then I would probably recommend the following:

Cottage Living, Dream Home Decorator, Cool Kitchen. Because they offer a lot of variety and customization. You can have farms in all worlds, you will get gigs all over the world and I remember using Cool Kitchen a lot back in the day and also while playing Dream Home Decorator.

or:

Snowy Escape, Strangerville, Paranormal. In my opinion these offer more of a "one-time" experience, depends how much you like playing them ofc. But for me, I only played through strangerville and paranormal once. And in Snowy Escape all the activities are limited to it's world. I played Paranormal in Strangerville as well and I thought they worked pretty well together.
    So far Cottage Living over Snowy Escape -good to know and I likely agree.
    Tempting to maybe get Strangerville, Paranormal and just get Cool Kitchen on sale on the side…. Mmm
    Will wait for some more comments.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    It sounds to me that you just started playing Sims 4. Congrads to waiting over 7 years with plenty of themes, CAS, build modes, build tools, worlds, etc, etc.
    So, my recommendation for best packs would be:

Get Together for CAS, builds, Windenburg, outdoor parties & historical fun <3<3
    Cottage Living for CAS, builds, Henford, festivals, farm animals & historical fun <3<3

Strangerville for the world that should've been in Get to Work, Careers, CAS, builds, alien Motherplant & alien conspiracy fun
    Vampires/Realm of Magic/Paranormal for Spellcasters, Vampires, CAS, builds, Forgotten Hollow, Glimmerbrook & all the occult fun :DB):p

Island Living for Mermaids, Dolphins, Sulani, Careers, CAS, builds, festival & ocean fun
    Snowy Escape for CAS, builds, Mt. K, festivals & wintery fun
    Seasons for CAS, builds & seasonal holiday fun :pB);)

Oh & have fun.

For just one Bundle, based on what you said, I recommend Cottage Living, Strangerville and Paranormal Stuff. I've thought really hard about this, with my bundle package :wink: you will get two new worlds, some farm animals like new pets, nice new decoration items including cute kitchen stuff for when you are furnishing a home, fun CAS clothes that have a lot of character, and some interactive occult gameplay.

Cottage Living: Because you mentioned you like pets and dogs, but not sure about farming. I personally treat the little chickens like my Sim’s pets and you can just feed and care for and play with the farm animals and enter them in competition. I also think this pack has really cute kitchen furniture, deco objects and CAS items, and you mentioned you are looking for those things. You didn’t mention if you like to build houses, just refurnish. I also don’t build from scratch and I think this game has the best and super cute houses built really nicely that I enjoy redecorating and I use it's BB stuff a lot. Snowy Escape has a beautiful world too, but you didn’t mention if you like to keep your Sim outdoors a lot or have them do sports.

Strangerville: Because to be honest I never play the Decorator career much, even though I love decorating, and there is no new world with that pack. I tend to decorate with items from Cottage Living more. I find the Strangerville game play really fun and I personally have played it many times. I also really like this world, so once you complete the game, you technically don’t have to restart the infection if you don’t want to, and can just play on the lots. And I really like the CAS items in this pack too, with some interesting and cute clothes.

Paranormal Stuff: Because you mentioned you play with occults often and I found this new career where you visit other lots and rid them of haunted things to be really fun. I also love the CAS clothing from this pack too. I love the kitchen stuff ice cream maker, but you didn't mention it and I only use it once in a while. There are also really cute kitchen decoration stuff in Cottage Living so hopefully you won't miss it.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    If you like simple building and furnishing apartments, you might prefer the build & buy from Snowy Escape over Cottage Living. The furniture is sleeker and there’s a nice wood selection in stairs, columns and things. If you’re not really into the idea of farming, you might vibe with SE’s Mt. Komorebi better.

I’m waiting for DHD to go half price before I buy it, but you’ll basically get that in your bundle. I mainly bought Strangerville for the doors, windows and spandrels (I love Victorians) so unless you’re really into the story I think it’s an easy one to pass up.

I like the ice cream machine in Cool Kitchen Stuff but I rarely keep it around because sims are always using it autonomously. I guess the counters are nice and simple but there are things that bother me about them, like the upper cabinets don’t have all the same swatches as the lower ones, and that big tall one has a weird shadow in the white swatch, IIRC. Paranormal Stuff doesn’t appeal to me but if you like occults it’s probably fun for a bit, I do like some of the furniture in it, I’ll give it that.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited March 2022
    my brain divides this into 2 as

Snowy Escape + Dream Home + Paranormal

= New world, japanese furnishings mix well together with dream home and the japanese world is great setting for some paranormal fun I mean... so horror movies keep telling me

+ the million tales of hauntings during renovations.... yes. that is also another golden opportunity

Cottage Living + Strangerville + Cool Kitchen

= Farming, gardening, baking and cooking with some occulty vibes

once you start gardening... why not a garden of ΜØŦĦ€Ř :blush:

and if its cooking and baking you desire why not do it in cool kitchen I suppose

also with this bundle you have 2 beautiful old style towns to build and play in

both having fabulous country vibes of their own

but if i do the ultimate mix how about:

Cottage Living, Strangerville, Paranormal

that way you could still have your cooking and farming and two country worlds
    little crafts some new items to build with
    you could go to strangerville to worship ΜØŦĦ€Ř
    and possessed sims would surely be great addition to the paranormal existence

and also you'd have military career and paranormal career if your sims lack jobs

and i mean doesn't it just sound like lots of fun with chickens cows llamas and possessed sims hanging about as you grow your little garden for ΜØŦĦ€Ř

++++ also consider: Agnes Crumplebottom

+ personal headcanon
    Thomas Watson definitely worships ΜØŦĦ€Ř I mean if theres ever oversized crop...
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Of those I only have a few. Paranormal has quite a lot of content and gameplay, and even if you won't play the paranormal career actively, there is some good BB and also interesting traits/moods that I think was part of the pack and not a free patch (being scared is one of those). I don't regret getting it.

I also like StrangerVille, despite never playing the mystery. The new Military career is a plus, and the world is quite beautiful and has many lots that works fine even if you don't play the mystery. Some good BB and a new vibe in CAS. And, in case you wonder - I never ever saw a poisoned sim outside the world (this will probably be different if you play the mystery though).

Cottage Living is a MUST - it adds tons to the game, especially farm animals but also how I see cooking (which can affect any household, even in San Myshuno). I'd actually love the pack even without the lovely world.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited March 2022
    Alright, pros and cons for all:

Snowy Escape
    Pros: Three neighborhood world, three skills/two aspirations/two traits, hiking with multiple sims, beautiful simple B&B that works in almost any world, CAS has some lovely clothing.
    Cons: Two lower neighborhoods don't have a lot going on if there's no festival, CAS is heavily themed for winter sports and the Japanese culture and may not be as useful for sims living elsewhere, new skills can only really be used in Mt Komorebi, festivals are kind of boring, lifestyles can get old.

Cottage Living
    Pros: Three neighborhood world, one skill/one aspiration/two traits, new lot challenges, lots of new animals to befriend and care for, beautiful cottage themed furniture, CAS is themed but lovely, there is always something to do between caring for animals and running errands for townies, kids can help out with almost everything and even toddlers can help a little, Agnes Crumplebottom
    Cons: Neighborhoods are large but don't have a lot to do in them, CAS and B&B are heavily cottage themed and don't work well outside that, only one new skill and aspiration.

Strangerville
    Pros: Two neighborhood world, one new aspiration and trait, military career, possessed sims are hilarious to watch run around, Build had a lot of nice windows and doors, CAS has some nice stuff.
    Cons: No new skills, story gets pretty repetitive if you play more than once, Buy doesn't have a lot.

Dream Home Decorator
    Pros: New active career, beautiful and abundant B&B, CAS has some nice stuff.
    Cons: No new world, no skills/aspirations/traits, career can be buggy.

Paranormal
    Pros: New semi-active career, new skill, beautiful B&B, awesome CAS, haunted houses are done well and can add some challenge to your game.
    Cons: Career gets repetitive and can be buggy, no traits or aspirations, haunted houses are pretty niche and you'll probably only play with them in specific saves.

Cool Kitchen
    Pros: Nice B&B especially kitchen clutter, ice cream maker with quite a few options that can result in fun outcomes (becoming a plantsim, losing/gaining weight, etc).
    Cons: Ice cream options depend on cooking skill, sims always want to make/eat ice cream, no new skills/traits/aspirations.

My personal picks would be Cottage Living, Dream Home Decorator, and Paranormal, but all of these packs are enjoyable, and I think you'll find something useful in any you end up choosing.
  • blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,365 Member
    Out of those mentioned my personal favorites are Cottage Living, Dream Home Decorator and Strangerville.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited March 2022
    NRowe wrote: »
    Considering getting some new content.
    Specifically looking at maybe some combination of Snowy Escape, Cottage Living, Dream Home Decorator, Strangerville, Paranormal stuff and Cool Kitchen stuff.

If I can get it down to one bundle instead of two, awesome. Also considering both game packs and a stuff pack which works out to about the same price with the current sale…. (maybe that way I don’t get quite so much extra content though?..)

I <3 simple building like furnishing apartments. Possibly want a new world or two. Play around in CAS all the time making all sorts of new characters which I then make a starter home for, play for a bit; then rinse and repeat.
    I like playing with cats and dogs but uncertain whether farming is my thing…
    Frequently but not always my Sims will be occult. Ghosts, magic users etc welcome.
    I really do like the cool kitchen stuff and can get disappointed when a gallery build utilises it but I can’t. Ditto dream home. That one would be about the objects, not the career probably.
    Strangerville looks cool but does it have a lot of longevity??

Thoughts please.

I have a special kind of hatred for Snowy Escape because I think it's extremely buggy.

Out of those, my suggestion would be to bundle Cottage Living, DHD and Strangerville. Drop Cool Kitchen, there is better kitchen stuff in other packs. The ice cream is nice and all but gets old fast. Plus, it's one of those items sims are annoyingly drawn to so you'll eventually have to lock it or your sanity away. Paranormal stuff is nice but it's also extreeeemely niche. So unless you're actually going to play in a haunted house, you won't notice owning it much. Something to consider.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    edited March 2022
    Snowy Escape: Great but perhaps costly for the sims who would like skies and snow boards. It comes with a new world, new dishes and new activites.

Cottage Living: Comes with a new world, but is not good for apartments.

Dream Home Decorator: No idea.

Strangerville: Comes with a new world and a new kind of game. Not worth it unless you are into that kind of game. Once the assignment is settled (perhaps with cheats and mods), the world is pretty normal. I almost forgot it comes with a new career, too.

Paranormal stuff: Too paranormal for me.

Cool Kitchen stuff: Most if not all of my households has an ice cream maker.

Edit two days later: My sims still make ice cream autonomously from time to time.
    10_03_15.png

10_03_16.png
    Post edited by BoergeAarg61 on
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Cottage Living has a world that I think is perfect for your spellcasters and witches to live in! They can grow their own ingredients for potions and live self-sufficiently growing plants for food, canning, milk from cows and eggs from chickens. I can make play in Strangerville last a long time. Currently have a save with Scully and Mulder who completed defeating the mother plant. Now plan to add some aliens who will revive the mother plant and cause problems. Then Scully and Mulder will join forces with their friends who live next door and are in the Paranormal career. I think both Strangerville and Paranormal have provided me with lots of gameplay. I built the original farmhouse where the events from The Conjuring movie took place in real life. It is of course haunted, and I have a witch and warlock living there so they can farm and deal with the paranormal events. I have all the packs and I enjoy these 3 alot. Whatever you decide, hope you have fun!
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member

Since I have all of these now, I would go with what @Elliandre suggested.
    That sounds like the best combo for what you like to do.

Snowy Escape is basically a "vacation world" made into a full word. Which is excellent. But... Cottage Living world is way more fun in my opinion for 'just playing normal'.

Strangerville is worth getting. Even if not playing the 'adventure plot', it comes with alot on excellent build items and clothing. Plus has good lots.

Paranormal vs Dream Home? Hmm. I like the build stuff from Paranormal better, it's more antiquish. Though for pseudo-modern, dream home has good stuff for that.

(Disclaimer, lol! I'm not bashing any packs, just saying which one's I like better. I like them all ;) )

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    Personally I would do Cottage living, Dream home decorator, and paranormal stuff.

Cottage Living vs Snowy Escape- I like both. But Snowy escape feels more like a vacation world. It's one of the best worlds in my opinion. There is a lot of stuff to do Hiking, Rock climbing, sledding, snow boarding, skiing, festivals. I also like the new career. The CAS is some of my favorite in the game. But most things require you to play in the world. The world that comes with cottage living is okay. But I love the chickens and cows. I really enjoy the quest and lore of the pack.

Strangerville vs Dream Home- I picked DH because I use it all the time. Best B/B for my taste. Every house I play in since the pack came out uses everything from this pack. Strangerville is a lot of fun. It comes with a new world, career, and best of all an adventure. I have played with it more than once but it's never as fun as the first playthrough. I think the pack has enough substances, especially compared to DH to make it worth it.

Paranormal vs Cool Kitchen- I honestly just don't like the kitchen that came with CK. The ice cream machine is fine but I rarely use it. Paranormal has very cool furniture. I like the 70s vibe of the pack. I only played with the career once but found it fun. Plus you can make haunted houses with the pack.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member

Whatever you do for kits, don't get "Bust the Dust!!!"
    My opinion. ;)

I know, not part of an EP/GP/SP deal. Just saying.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• cecesims41cecesims41 Posts: 22 Member
    I have all of these but Cool Kitchen stuff, so I can't offer much about that one!

I really enjoy Snowy Escape. I use the furniture a lot in building because it has a kind of modern and simple look. The world is beautiful to play in, and I enjoy the outdoor activities like climbing. I don't use the CAS items much unless I'm playing in Mt. Komorebi.

Cottage Living is a decent pack imo. I sometimes use the outfits, and it's really nice to have the option to have farm animals. It's a bit time consuming though! The world isn't anything super exciting, but it's essential for me because I like building on more isolated lots, surrounded by nature.

I really like the Paranormal stuff pack! It has quite a few good CAS items and build items. It's great for making builds feel more witchy or eclectic. The gameplay really kept me interested and the career is fun to play through. I wish the gigs were a little more interesting, with different/scarier spirits. It's kind of cool that you can offer spirits a part of your sim's soul to get them to leave! This one was definitely worth it for me.

Dream Home Decorator and Strangerville are the packs I use the least. I'm just not crazy about the style, they don't fit in with my usual gameplay.

So much good advice to choose from haha. I would find it so hard to pick. Good luck. I hope you enjoy your new games.