Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 feels exhausting to play.

So after a few hours last night playing the with the new Sims 4 Wedding Stories pack it finally dawned on me why i don't enjoy playing The Sims 4. Gameplay is exhausting! But not in a good way. There are so many areas that you need to micro manage to have the game go as you want it to. And if you don't, literally nothing happens anyway. Your sims just like constantly switching seats and having endless group conversations. And then there are the bugs....or I assume they are bugs, for example the action queue cancelling out ALL THE TIME but when you do actually want to cancel an action it takes forever for your sim to stop what they are doing. And sims just getting up and doing what they like in the middle of an action, such as grabbing a glass of water! I'm forever cancelling actions and sending them back to continue the task i'm trying to get them to do! I have played for around 5 hours so far and i'm yet to execute an actual wedding that goes the way i wanted it to. Also you complete an event such as an engagement dinner and the timer expires and you get literally no reward or message to say you completed the event. Not even a moodlet!! After a while you just get bored of it. I'm sorry to the developers but Sims 4 is just a big old mess of a game and no amount of content will compensate for the frustrating gameplay.

Comments

• Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited March 2022
    I think with the sims 4 sims just moving around all the time is its flaw, all games has a flaw, I also think that the sims 4 you do have to choose everything in your sims lives for example whether or not there's going to be drama in your game, on the past games drama did just happen by itself, however alot of simmers did also complain about this because their sims were doing things they didn't want them to do, its one of those things the developers can't win with, I'd say if you have an imagination and have fun at being very creative at creating stories and not like sims doing their own thing I'd say the sims 4 is for that simmer, however if your someone that just like drama that happens by itself and not having to decide everything I'd say the sims 3 or if your able to get the sims 2 is more for that simmer
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    Why not make Vampire Vegetarian Kleptomaniacs, make them basically as human as possible with the ability to unlock doors, congrats you now have burglars, Your Welcome.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited March 2022
    Why not make Vampire Vegetarian Kleptomaniacs, make them basically as human as possible with the ability to unlock doors, congrats you now have burglars, Your Welcome.

Your idea is creative, but not a substitute for a properly configured burglary system. To my knowledge, kleptomaniacs don't sneak. When I last used a kleptomaniac, they stole deco items, nothing of consequence for activities of daily living. There are no burglar alarms to alert a sleeping Sim (or the player) that their home is being invaded. Sims can't call the police because there aren't any police capable of a response. Sims are more likely to start up a conversation with a kleptomaniac than to be angry or afraid. At most, a Sim can start a fight with a kleptomaniac. Though, I don't know if winning will return the stolen items. Also, there would be no rewards.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I can only play with autonomy off. If I turn autonomy on, it’s only because I’m drinking coffee and have stopped playing, since they won’t do anything I assign them anyway, so I just watch them while drinking coffee and learn about them. It is exhausting to click, then cancel, then click again. I spent a whole Sim day trying to get a Sim to type a report on the computer for a job task. I get why people want to play with autonomy on, but I think maybe it’s broken. The group conversations from autonomy on don’t add social points, they don’t even remember the people after. When I turn autonomy on, it’s like my Sims talk to nothing all day and can’t finish any tasks.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited March 2022
    Indeed. Nothing happens and when something does happen - probably because you painstakingly made it happen - no other sim really gives a plum about it anyway. I think after buying Cottage Living, something in the sims part of my soul just broke lol. The foxes for example are just such a letdown. Like, do they ever really steal an egg? Cause from what I remember, they just take it, then chill by the fence until you tell them to drop it, which ofc they instantly do, because as we all know, that is how foxes roll - they're just a super well-trained bunch of forest dogs.

I looked forward to some form of farming so much, but the game feels about as boring & bland as ever. I absolutely despise large open empty spaces like you have in the CL pack because walking anywhere is a pain, needs management is just getting worse (and not in the good TS2 way), multitasking, moodlet spam and canceled actions make nearly any sim day an absolute slug to get through. And I haven't really played the pack much or been back since or bought anything after. I've put many hours into this game but it's clear that it's slowly but surely reaching a state of being broken beyond repair, primarily because EA is not invested in repairing anything anyway.
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Nikkih wrote: »
    I think with the sims 4 sims just moving around all the time is its flaw, all games has a flaw, I also think that the sims 4 you do have to choose everything in your sims lives for example whether or not there's going to be drama in your game, on the past games drama did just happen by itself, however alot of simmers did also complain about this because their sims were doing things they didn't want them to do, its one of those things the developers can't win with, I'd say if you have an imagination and have fun at being very creative at creating stories and not like sims doing their own thing I'd say the sims 4 is for that simmer, however if your someone that just like drama that happens by itself and not having to decide everything I'd say the sims 3 or if your able to get the sims 2 is more for that simmer

I get what you’re saying about certain players actually enjoying micromanagement, but thats why there is the option for sim autonomy. That option might as well not exist in TS4… it’s not about drama that just happens by itself, (ignoring another huge problem being zero personality) the sims don’t feel alive or like they have any actual autonomy, other than persistently grabbing a glass of water.. And like the other faults op mentioned, actions cancelling constantly etc, micromanaging the sims is exhausting and buggy anyway. So either way it’s a mess 🤷‍♂️

You need a lot of patience for TS4, and not in a good way.
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    This is why I play sims3 and would still play sims2 if I could get it to work now. I still use sims4, but only to either zone out making buildings that ai then plates but then don't play with beyond that, or for when I want to go wild with mods (which even that gets old fast with sims4 because they have no personality and no memories, no consequences for anything).

Sims4 is has nothing to truly discover. They are just smiling puppets in a perpetually peaceful world in which nothing surprising ever happens.perfect for players who just want barbies in their dreamhouse and for everything to be perfect all the time except that from what I hear, they are not even getting that because weddings won't go well, and not because of some wedding wrecking dragon, but just that the pack doesn't work as advertised.

Sims 4 is still good for producing adult videos I guess, though that wears thin fast, too.

I would say it's not even really in the same category as previous Sims games.

It's like buying a cool new robot toy that was advertised as having a personality and being able to adapt to its environment, only to find out that instead, it was really just one of those electronic toys that will do the same actions in response to the same stimulus, over and over, and that's all it would do. Like expecting a robotic toy that interacts with progressive learning, only to get a Tickle Me Elmo.

You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    hely0thely0t Posts: 345 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »
    The group conversations from autonomy on don’t add social points, they don’t even remember the people after.

Really?? Oh, that's disappointing. :( Lol, I've spent ages getting some of my Sims chatting in groups hoping they'd make friends without me intervening (because real life social interactions are difficult for me too).

I must have a lot more patience than others because while those things are annoying, yeah, I can live with them. And I play other games with annoying aspects that I've learnt to deal with, like the the "logging players out of RuneScape randomly for no apparent reason" Jagex issue.

Real life is frustrating enough though that these issues aren't in any way comparable. That's how I see it. :)
    "You've got a face, I've got a face, it's all gonna be alright." - Noel Fielding
  • Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    Sims 4 BARELY functions as a life sim game. Sims simply don't obbey your commands, actions are dropped, they spend hours doing nothing. And on top of that, the AI doesn't really work. It's just a BROKEN game at this point.

Even The Sims 1, as hard as it is to keep their motives in the green, is way more fun to play. The Sims 4 is just a frustrating game through and through because it simply doesn't work.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited March 2022
    My sims behave like I want to...but that's because I am using tuning mods to get rid of the annoyances. Some of the best mods for that are the MC Tuner mod, and also the control any sim mod, which allows me to control any sim as if they were playable.

That said, that only makes the game even more of a sandbox, so it literally feels like I am moving Barbie and Ken around... Maxis are not adding enough changes to make it not feel like a sandbox or the same game I played since 2014 either.

When I saw the Bach Parties from my wedding stories I was immediately thinking about the house parties that I had back in 2014 in the base game.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    Sims 4 BARELY functions as a life sim game. Sims simply don't obbey your commands, actions are dropped, they spend hours doing nothing. And on top of that, the AI doesn't really work. It's just a BROKEN game at this point.

Even The Sims 1, as hard as it is to keep their motives in the green, is way more fun to play. The Sims 4 is just a frustrating game through and through because it simply doesn't work.
    I don't have the issues you describe. The Sims aren't supposed to drop commands or lag out. Sorry the games act like that for you. Have you tried repairing it?
  • Options
    spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    I agree Sims3 and Sims2 was much more fun and I have thought about reloading three and playing it again. That said, Sims3 is so buggy with the Terrain and routing issue's I am hesitant to do it. I basically have all the routing issues memorized to go in and fix them all but it is a big job to fix and You must have mods to make it work. The reason the Sims4 is so boring to play is because they took all the surprise and more adult content out of it so they could get away with attracting 12 year old's to play it. There is no Zombies, no scary ghost, no burglar, grim is not scary and nothing really bad ever really happens unless you freeze to death in seasons. Even Vampires are not really a problem. Now how do I get around this, I invent my own scary stuff and sometimes if I am really bored with it I will make a mean Vampire that go's around attacking Sims or something, still don't really get the reactions you want but until something better comes along or I get the gumption up to deal with fixing Sims3 its all that's out there...for now.
  • Options
    haneul wrote: »

I don't have the issues you describe. The Sims aren't supposed to drop commands or lag out. Sorry the games act like that for you. Have you tried repairing it?

LOL. YOU don't have those issues, but most players do. That's why the mods that supposedly fix simulation lag are so popular. The game barely functions for most players, and it has nothing to do with our PCs either. I have a custom built gaming PC that can run most modern AAA games. It's also not something I figured how to fix. Sims 3 doesn't run well out of the box, but can easily be fixed and it runs like a charm. There's simple no way to make The Sims 4 work as it should.

Maybe you didn't play previous Sims games, so you don't notice how bad the simulation runs, the facts actions are dropped, etc. But that's something that happens to most players nowadays, and mods are no longer good at fixing it. It just keeps getting worse and worse.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

LOL. YOU don't have those issues, but most players do. That's why the mods that supposedly fix simulation lag are so popular. The game barely functions for most players, and it has nothing to do with our PCs either. I have a custom built gaming PC that can run most modern AAA games. It's also not something I figured how to fix. Sims 3 doesn't run well out of the box, but can easily be fixed and it runs like a charm. There's simple no way to make The Sims 4 work as it should.

Maybe you didn't play previous Sims games, so you don't notice how bad the simulation runs, the facts actions are dropped, etc. But that's something that happens to most players nowadays, and mods are no longer good at fixing it. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

I'm not discounting your experience. I'm just saying that it's absolutely not mine, that a lot of people don't play with any mods, and that maybe there's a way to improve the game for you too. I'm also on an extremely powerful gaming desktop that can run all modern games (i9, top of the line SSD, my gpu has 11GB of ddr6 ram, etc.), so that probably helps me a bit. But I know that the Sims franchise is fickle. I had major issues with Island Paradise for Sims 3 despite being on a fairly powerful gaming computer back then too and despite trying every mod/workaround there was to fix it, it was impossible to fix on that computer. In the end, I had to uninstall that pack and then I was back to my lag-free high settings experience.

With Sims 4, I've been very fortunate and not had any big issues. My experiences with Sims 2 (corrupt saves and other bugs) and Sims 3 were so much worse. I've had minor issues with the Sims 4 behaving oddly in the past and repairing the game fixed those for me. My Sims don't stand around doing nothing and they don't drop actions. Your situation sounded extreme to me, so I tried to make suggestions. I don't know what you've tried to fix your game.
  • Options
    With Sims 4, I've been very fortunate and not had any big issues. My experiences with Sims 2 (corrupt saves and other bugs) and Sims 3 were so much worse. I've had minor issues with the Sims 4 behaving oddly in the past and repairing the game fixed those for me. My Sims don't stand around doing nothing and they don't drop actions. Your situation sounded extreme to me, so I tried to make suggestions. I don't know what you've tried to fix your game.

Sims 2 and 3 were far from perfect, but their issues were manageable. Isla Paradiso was super laggy like you said, but it was fixable following a guide to delete the problematic families. Sims 2's corruption was also manageable if you knew what to do and what not to do.

I've been dealing with simulation lag and Sims not doing what I command them to do since City Living came out, but in the past I was able to mitigate the problem with the Simulation Lag Fix mod. But since last year, the various Simulation Lag fixes don't seem to be working. I also tried the game without mods, and uninstall and reinstalled, etc. and nothing makes much of a difference. The game is broken beyond repair at this point. Maybe a patch will fix it, but patches have been making things worse and worse lately. I wish I could play one of the earlier versions of the game, before City Living came out.
  • Options

Sims 2 and 3 were far from perfect, but their issues were manageable. Isla Paradiso was super laggy like you said, but it was fixable following a guide to delete the problematic families. Sims 2's corruption was also manageable if you knew what to do and what not to do.

I've been dealing with simulation lag and Sims not doing what I command them to do since City Living came out, but in the past I was able to mitigate the problem with the Simulation Lag Fix mod. But since last year, the various Simulation Lag fixes don't seem to be working. I also tried the game without mods, and uninstall and reinstalled, etc. and nothing makes much of a difference. The game is broken beyond repair at this point. Maybe a patch will fix it, but patches have been making things worse and worse lately. I wish I could play one of the earlier versions of the game, before City Living came out.

I think I had the situation with Island Paradise that you're having now. It was not fixable for me. I tried everything that was suggested multiple times. I installed the map fixes. I deleted the families. I used mods. I looked into the routing. I did all fixes multiple times on multiple installs and in different combinations. It never worked. So I'm sorry your Sims 4 is so broken. If you've tried the mods and uninstalled/reinstalled, cleared your cache, repaired your game, tried different combinations of packs -- there's not much more that you can do (as you know). It's just unfortunate that the game isn't designed to be more stable. Too bad this is a live service game and there's no way for you to roll back to a stable version for your PC. I know the feeling from Sims 3 and I just lucked out this time and am stable without a need for the simulation lag fix mods. But at any time, a patch could come and ruin my experience, so I'm very careful about how I install patches.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited March 2022

No offence but the game is like this for everyone, even if to varying degrees, and especially if you own a lot of packs that all compete for your sims' extremely limited attention spans. People with 3-4x more than the recommend specs are having these issues because they're down to bad programming, not user error. Repairing the game won't fix it.
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    spend4zen wrote: »
    I agree Sims3 and Sims2 was much more fun and I have thought about reloading three and playing it again. That said, Sims3 is so buggy with the Terrain and routing issue's I am hesitant to do it. I basically have all the routing issues memorized to go in and fix them all but it is a big job to fix and You must have mods to make it work. The reason the Sims4 is so boring to play is because they took all the surprise and more adult content out of it so they could get away with attracting 12 year old's to play it. There is no Zombies, no scary ghost, no burglar, grim is not scary and nothing really bad ever really happens unless you freeze to death in seasons. Even Vampires are not really a problem. Now how do I get around this, I invent my own scary stuff and sometimes if I am really bored with it I will make a mean Vampire that go's around attacking Sims or something, still don't really get the reactions you want but until something better comes along or I get the gumption up to deal with fixing Sims3 its all that's out there...for now.

If you tried Sims3 these days you might be pleasantly surprised. I do use the suite of NRAAS mods designed to keep the game running smoothly, as well as clean out the 5 cache files that should be deleted after play each time to again, keep it running smoothly. And last but not least, I never overwrite a save, but do a new "save as" with a new unique name each time, often related to what is happening in the game at that point.

But following those simple rules, Sims3 runs better for me than Sims4.

Well, especially now: after this last Origin update, now, none of the keys for zooming in and out work, on the keyboard (arrow keys, + or -, and z or x all fail to zoom in or out) and shift+tab no longer opens first person view, just scoots my POV backward far and fast til I'm out of the lot. On that, I've now tried everything including game repair, uninstall and reinstall, switching camera modes, testing my keyboard on other games (it's not my keyboard) so my last hope is that if I uninstall and reinstall Origin, and then have to redownload all my Origin games, this will be fixed. But that's nothing to do with Sims3, which is still working fine, keyboard controls are fine, etc.

Just saying Sims3 runs better than it ever did in the past, now, for a lot of us, using those steps and mods, but it also depends what you're running. My laptop can run Sims3, all packs installed, max resolution and details, and it's pretty breathtaking for graphics, and the gameplay is smooth.

I do wish I could get Sims2 to work still, because that gameplay was the best of all. But Sims3 is still better than Sims4 for gameplay.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Sims constantly dropping actions I queue for them happens alot for me too. I don't use mods so know not related to that. Think it's because they are too focused on items/actions in the game such as computers, playing in rain/puddles, etc. and since likes/dislikes have come out I find sims who like fitness stop what they are supposed to be doing (eating, sleeping, etc with very low hunger/energy bars) and go back to exercise. So I haven't been using the likes/dislikes as much as I thought I would because if I am not constantly watching, they die from the very low needs bars. I also still have the frequent need for them to go get water to drink and they drop whatever action queued for them to do. This is one of my frustrations when playing. But I haven't played in a while as I have been too busy in real life, so if any of this is fixed yet I wouldn't know. The water drinking was fixed for a while but came back.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Another problem is the social bloom for selecting social interactions.
    You have to hunt for the one you are looking for. It could be buried very deep and it is exhausting to constantly dig for the social you want.

We need better groupings so it's faster and easier to find the social you want.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »

No offence but the game is like this for everyone, even if to varying degrees, and especially if you own a lot of packs that all compete for your sims' extremely limited attention spans. People with 3-4x more than the recommend specs are having these issues because they're down to bad programming, not user error. Repairing the game won't fix it.
    I have all the packs except JtB and Wedding Stories. I also have 16.5 GB of mods/cc, but I do not have these issues where Sims stand around forever doing nothing or drop tasks. Part of why I really enjoy the Sims 4 is because it doesn't lag (for me), loading lots is super snappy (seconds instead of minutes) even though I play on 64x64 lot, and my Sims are always getting up to something autonomously. I have a ton of mods (Wonderful Whims, MCCC, many LittleMsSam's mods, etc.) and maybe those help with the gameplay by adding some depth and pushing some non-annoying autonomous actions on my Sims. Regardless, my Sims do what I want with the occasional exception of changing chairs in the middle of a meal. Repairing the game has always fixed any real issues I've had (ex. bald Sims or inventory glitches). I have only experienced a couple seconds of lag when loading build/buy or when starting/stopping an intense Reshade preset. I admit that my computer has ridiculous specs, which helps me have good luck with this game. People generally always suggest repairing the game, clearing cache, etc. because sometimes those steps work and they're generally worth trying. I think that there are also mods that try to help with simulation lag.

I can't speak to the newest wedding pack, though. That does look broken to me and I will not contaminate my saves with it until I can sort out a way to make it work smoothly. My intention with posting in this thread wasn't to belittle people's bad experiences but to help if possible so that others could hopefully get their game working as well as mine does (no dropped tasks and no Sims standing around for an hour doing nothing). Obviously, my suggestions won't work for everyone, but maybe they'll work for some.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited March 2022
    I haven't updated my game, I'm still running on the August 2021 version (I don't even have SDX). For me the game runs fine, better than it used to. I noticed that the old worlds, Oasis Springs, Willow Creek etc. are running fine while some of the later worlds like Henford on Bagley runs really badly.

I have not experienced simulation lag for a long time, I also recently cleaned out a lot of old CC that I had (and also fixed the load order by naming it correctly, don't have special characters, that messes up the load order), and I noticed that the game was running better, I got rid of a lot of mirrors and fountains as well and I'm experiencing very little lag, I do have the build/buy lag, but that disappears quickly if I press the pause menu.

I don't have any issues with sims interrupting or forgetting actions either, I'm not sure if it's because of my tuning mods, I have gotten rid of things like grabbing water from the sink or practice singing and things like that.

That said, I also have a gaming computer and I'm guessing that helps a bit.

I do wonder if people that are saying that they are experiencing a lot of lag have to either start removing stuff from their saves or start new saves because the game can't keep up with all lots, relationships and worlds.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited March 2022
    I learned by experience bad performance comes down to either a bad PC or mods/cc. Usually a combination of both. I also learned that even if you have what's considered a "good PC" it can still be bad. I don't know if companies lie about PC specs or they are just built differently but they definitely perform differently. A lot of stuff I see people complain about in terms of performance is stuff I had with my old computer. Then I tried a high end lap top and it was much much better. Then I got a top gaming PC and it has been so smooooth and fast without lag or anything. Even with tons of mods. If I took out the mods it would be even better because every glitch I have is mod/cc related so I don't even mention it because that's on me.
    Just how some people say sims 3 runs smooth for them and others don't. (It's a horror show for me full of glitches and crashes even with the fixes) I still truly believe ts4 is the best performing sims game yet. I can actually "play" it smoothly for long hours.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    hely0t wrote: »
    Elliandre wrote: »
    The group conversations from autonomy on don’t add social points, they don’t even remember the people after.

Really?? Oh, that's disappointing. :( Lol, I've spent ages getting some of my Sims chatting in groups hoping they'd make friends without me intervening (because real life social interactions are difficult for me too).

I must have a lot more patience than others because while those things are annoying, yeah, I can live with them. And I play other games with annoying aspects that I've learnt to deal with, like the the "logging players out of RuneScape randomly for no apparent reason" Jagex issue.

Real life is frustrating enough though that these issues aren't in any way comparable. That's how I see it. :)

@hely0t If you set up the group chat yourself it should be fine. I mean when the Sims just start chatting autonomously. It boosts the social bar, but they won't officially greet each other and get to know each other. When I want to make sure it's working, I click on all the Sims in the group and just make one friendly social each to be sure and then it should start working after to build or decrease the relationship bar :smile:

p.s. I love Runescape!!! :heart::lol: I haven't played it in years haha