Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tartosa is boring, and commentary about same-y worlds in general

Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
Tartosa is getting quite a bit of praise as the only redeeming factor of Wedding Stories, but I think it's a boring-looking world. Nothing about Tartosa stands out to me, besides the potential that the buildings in the main neighbourhood had (but got wasted due to being flat rectangles, and feeling pasted on instead of properly incorporated into the surroundings).

The colouring of many, many worlds (including Tartosa) in TS4 are exactly the same. The shade of green for the grass, the foliage, the lighting, the water etc. all should have different tints (at the very least) to make it feel like they belong in their region and to their region, even if the actual meshes look almost exactly the same as other regions. I haven't travelled in real life much, but something that always sticks out to me is how the plants, rocks, ground etc. are different, and thus lend an entirely different feel to every region. Most TS4 worlds have a very particular shade of yellow-green grass and trees that isn't bad on itself, but gets sickening when you see it in too many worlds. Some places have crystal-clear water, some muddy, some yellow-ish due to the minerals in the water, some are greenish etc., and the ground/mud/pebbles/mulch on the bottom and surrounding water masses also have a massive effect in establishing character. TS4 water does have more variation between worlds, but this often falls flat due to the surroundings and colouring being same-y. Lighting can be influenced by numerous thing in real life, but due to the freedom that TS4 offers in terms of its art style, simply giving an entire world a certain tint of light for atmosphere would be completely justified. That usually doesn't happen, though, except in places like Forgotten Hollow where the atmosphere is near comically dialed up (which I like).
Windenburg, San Myshuno, Brindleton Bay, Selvadorada, Strangerville and Sulani are examples of worlds that feel completely different largely due to these factors, and the way that the architecture is well-incorporated into their environment. But most other worlds feel lacking to me, and at one stage I almost couldn't play TS4 anymore because the worlds that feel the same were grating on me so much (that's when I impulse-bought City Living).

It's interesting that TS3 worlds don't have this effect on me, but I think that's due to how large the worlds are and how customizable everything is. If TS4 is going to make its worlds tiny and static, it needs to ensure that every world feels completely unique, otherwise worlds can start feeling both claustrophobic and dull. If I move to a different, highly atmospheric world each time I go somewhere else, it actually makes me feel like I got a real change of scenery. Instead, I sometimes feel like I'm in some nightmare where there are 10 different doors with all slightly different but the same rooms that result in uncanny valley and frustration (dramatic but I think it makes the point clear).

I strongly feel that the world in a romance pack should have been Venice/Paris inspired, but that's a discussion I might make in a different thread. If they wanted to make a Mediterranean world, though, this is probably the most bland approach they could take, because if the lots (by the game changers, not them, might I add) were not there, I wouldn't even know this world is Mediterranean.
I always love new worlds with beaches, but the beaches in Tartosa are so bland and un-atmospheric. I like the house on the little island, but that's it.
Let's take a look at this official TS4 concept art (posted in first comment since I am not allowed to attach a picture to the OP for some reason):

The lively harbour leading up into a town square surrounded by buildings where you can buy flowers, dresses and cakes, as well as get married rabbit-hole style? That would work perfectly with this image. Around the corner of the building on the right hints a beach with beautiful cliffs and boulder arches - a romantic wedding on the beach? They could have literally kept the gameplay the same but situated in this world and the whole pack would have felt 10 times better. The stained glass windows would also make more sense in this world, since I can perfectly picture a beautiful cathedral in this town square.
The second neighbourhood could be the POV we are seeing from this picture, overlooking the harbour. There could be a romantic, lush wooded area where the cliff houses stop - a wooded area is advertised in the description, but I find that just as boring as the beaches. The waterfall bridge area often praised in videos is underwhelming to me, and looks recycled from Mount Komorebi. A bridge over a cliff waterfall/stream in this world could have fitted perfectly and looked unique.

Overall, I just think Tartosa is a lazy and bland world. Especially when considering how 1) simple and 2) broken the gameplay of the pack is, it just feels like this pack has next to no effort put into it, and perpetuates the problems with many TS4 worlds in general.

Comments

• HahcbeachwavesHahcbeachwaves Posts: 121 Member
    edited February 2022
    If they wanted to make a Mediterranean world, though, this is probably the most bland approach they could take, because if the lots (by the game changers, not them, might I add) were not there, I wouldn't even know this world is Mediterranean.

Exactly.. outside of the trees and little house on the island I feel like this world doesn’t really look Mediterranean . It looks more like they tried to put 2 or 3 different world ideas into one pack and now they all are fighting for the spotlight .

This is one example of what I personally think of when I think Mediterranean…
    3gptbassxcgz.jpeg
    or9sbawlj317.jpeg
    hr0ike3jwyka.jpeg
    i667j96saa6w.jpeg
    61h6k4rh6rbi.jpeg
    yo6ag4d8yryw.jpeg
    p817s78mpei0.jpeg
    Post edited by Hahcbeachwaves on
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited February 2022
    to me its like half and half I like the new trees that point up a lot (idk what theyre called)

and the water tint with the sand does look different enough to sulani

theres also few good parts to the world like the lot high up and island next to it

but I think the issue is with shell buildings in the village looking very base gamey sort of vague

and the lighthouse simply reminds you of how brindleton has better one that you can actually use

and waterfalls remind you of how in sulani you actually have useable one

similarly the tree out of village also reminds me of the base game tree that takes you to hidden world but this does not so its officially meh

and the boats also being unuseable clutter item you can't use right in your sight at all times is also frustrating

not only that they also added in hot air balloons you can't use just because idk why not add more sad to the mix

and i also feel like the town part could deal with more height variation in general like its very flat aside from those gorgeous hills which also makes my experience flat

then also the world really tries to look big when there isn't really that many lots or much to do in it so your sims just end up running like miles of nothing to get from point A to point B which in my opinion is also bit of a flaw

oh and everything in village closes for the night so if you wanted to have nightlife fun.. not option.

also even just going through live edit you can see they used tons of other packs for it so its no wonder it just feels like very similar to things we already have and not in good way

aaand they keep talking about lore of the world but is there really any building that feels like lore besides the thebe one... ofc that can be fixed by redoing all the lots but eh.

overall its pretty world but when you already have selvadorada oasis springs and sulani with brindleton bay and windenburg.... is it really a need?
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited February 2022
    I like Tartosa I think it's beautiful. My problem with it is actually the buildings. Since I like to play a lot of apocalyptic scenarios and build caves and tunnels and villages and whatnot. The buildings kill it for me in every world we have. My builds come out amazing and then I turn around and I see these colorful square blocks with roofs. Even in ecolifestyle, it was the closes we came to a "not pretty" broken down world but the shell buildings kill my set ups everytime.
    I'm okay with shells because I think it looks better than being totally bare.
    But I would love to see more shell variety like huts, straw houses, broken down houses, I don't know, anything creatively different in order to expand on the types of builds that can look nice with it. Plus I wish we could get a water retexture! Like the one a modder alfsi did for windenberg
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I like the world, looks pretty, but I think there is not much to do there if you want to visit on vacation. Also, there are no lots in the village if you want to add some retail businesses. It would have been really nice if they made the lighthouse so you could visit it and woohoo there like in Brindleton Bay and added a functional boat to the pier that would take you on a tour around the island. The available swimmable water is also rather small for aqua zips. I love the message in a bottle collection, hope they expand it so we can find more bottles on beaches in other worlds too.
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    edited February 2022
    I really wanted a broader theme for romance, and an attraction/chemistry system. My concern is that we'll not see another romance inspired pack because 'been there, done that' type of a deal with My Wedding Stories.

I've always been quite vocal about worlds in the Sims 4. They're just so... unsatisfying. They're often small and picturesque, and it's becoming boring. We got additional worlds with the Sims 3, and I wish that they would do this for the Sims 4. If single worlds came out at the rate kits did last year, I'd be throwing my money at EA.

The fan made concept art you linked in this thread was made by @keylimepiesims and they've done a whole bunch of different maps. They're all incredible and so creative. These are the kinds of worlds I've been yearning for.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,571 Member
    Yep! Hit "Go for a Jog" on a sim in Tartosa and they'll run the whole map! There are huge swathes of scenic area with nothing to do. I'll probably take some sims around and have them leave Easels and Yoga Mats at some of those spots. I've added a fishing spot on the beach because I would love for my sims to go fishing next to the algae bloom.

bKDNfpD.png
  • lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    edited February 2022
    I don't have the pack so I only have the pictures as reference. But I get what you are saying. When I saw the connecting stairs between terrains I was like "again?" It feels like a world placed over the usual layout, pretty much like the town from Cottage Living. Concrete steps all over the place. The wedding arch area reminded me of one of wedding spots I have in one of Windenburg islands.
    edited February 2022
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    Yep! Hit "Go for a Jog" on a sim in Tartosa and they'll run the whole map! There are huge swathes of scenic area with nothing to do. I'll probably take some sims around and have them leave Easels and Yoga Mats at some of those spots. I've added a fishing spot on the beach because I would love for my sims to go fishing next to the algae bloom.

bKDNfpD.png

oh actually good idea I could make some yoga spots or something

well if my game ever runs smoothly again p_p

debating myself if i should just test uninstalling the new pack tbh cause everything was running nice in ultra before i added it and patched up

and i haven't actually started doing much with building etc and this pack so id still have chance

but its so sad that looses the couple dancing that is like all i even wanted in the game :disappointed:
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Tartosa is getting quite a bit of praise as the only redeeming factor of Wedding Stories, but I think it's a boring-looking world. Nothing about Tartosa stands out to me, besides the potential that the buildings in the main neighbourhood had (but got wasted due to being flat rectangles, and feeling pasted on instead of properly incorporated into the surroundings).

The colouring of many, many worlds (including Tartosa) in TS4 are exactly the same. The shade of green for the grass, the foliage, the lighting, the water etc. all should have different tints (at the very least) to make it feel like they belong in their region and to their region, even if the actual meshes look almost exactly the same as other regions. I haven't travelled in real life much, but something that always sticks out to me is how the plants, rocks, ground etc. are different, and thus lend an entirely different feel to every region. Most TS4 worlds have a very particular shade of yellow-green grass and trees that isn't bad on itself, but gets sickening when you see it in too many worlds. Some places have crystal-clear water, some muddy, some yellow-ish due to the minerals in the water, some are greenish etc., and the ground/mud/pebbles/mulch on the bottom and surrounding water masses also have a massive effect in establishing character. TS4 water does have more variation between worlds, but this often falls flat due to the surroundings and colouring being same-y. Lighting can be influenced by numerous thing in real life, but due to the freedom that TS4 offers in terms of its art style, simply giving an entire world a certain tint of light for atmosphere would be completely justified. That usually doesn't happen, though, except in places like Forgotten Hollow where the atmosphere is near comically dialed up (which I like).
    Windenburg, San Myshuno, Brindleton Bay, Selvadorada, Strangerville and Sulani are examples of worlds that feel completely different largely due to these factors, and the way that the architecture is well-incorporated into their environment. But most other worlds feel lacking to me, and at one stage I almost couldn't play TS4 anymore because the worlds that feel the same were grating on me so much (that's when I impulse-bought City Living).

It's interesting that TS3 worlds don't have this effect on me, but I think that's due to how large the worlds are and how customizable everything is. If TS4 is going to make its worlds tiny and static, it needs to ensure that every world feels completely unique, otherwise worlds can start feeling both claustrophobic and dull. If I move to a different, highly atmospheric world each time I go somewhere else, it actually makes me feel like I got a real change of scenery. Instead, I sometimes feel like I'm in some nightmare where there are 10 different doors with all slightly different but the same rooms that result in uncanny valley and frustration (dramatic but I think it makes the point clear).

I strongly feel that the world in a romance pack should have been Venice/Paris inspired, but that's a discussion I might make in a different thread. If they wanted to make a Mediterranean world, though, this is probably the most bland approach they could take, because if the lots (by the game changers, not them, might I add) were not there, I wouldn't even know this world is Mediterranean.
    I always love new worlds with beaches, but the beaches in Tartosa are so bland and un-atmospheric. I like the house on the little island, but that's it.
    Let's take a look at this official TS4 concept art (posted in first comment since I am not allowed to attach a picture to the OP for some reason):

The lively harbour leading up into a town square surrounded by buildings where you can buy flowers, dresses and cakes, as well as get married rabbit-hole style? That would work perfectly with this image. Around the corner of the building on the right hints a beach with beautiful cliffs and boulder arches - a romantic wedding on the beach? They could have literally kept the gameplay the same but situated in this world and the whole pack would have felt 10 times better. The stained glass windows would also make more sense in this world, since I can perfectly picture a beautiful cathedral in this town square.
    The second neighbourhood could be the POV we are seeing from this picture, overlooking the harbour. There could be a romantic, lush wooded area where the cliff houses stop - a wooded area is advertised in the description, but I find that just as boring as the beaches. The waterfall bridge area often praised in videos is underwhelming to me, and looks recycled from Mount Komorebi. A bridge over a cliff waterfall/stream in this world could have fitted perfectly and looked unique.

Overall, I just think Tartosa is a lazy and bland world. Especially when considering how 1) simple and 2) broken the gameplay of the pack is, it just feels like this pack has next to no effort put into it, and perpetuates the problems with many TS4 worlds in general.

I love the looks of Tartosa.
    Simmingal wrote: »

bKDNfpD.png

debating myself if i should just test uninstalling the new pack tbh cause everything was running nice in ultra before i added it and patched up

and i haven't actually started doing much with building etc and this pack so id still have chance

but its so sad that looses the couple dancing that is like all i even wanted in the game :disappointed:

I read that some people fixed the lag by repairing the game. Have you tried doing that?
    crocobaura wrote: »

bKDNfpD.png

I read that some people fixed the lag by repairing the game. Have you tried doing that?

4 times so far :sweat_smile:
    crocobaura wrote: »

bKDNfpD.png

4 times so far :sweat_smile:

Oh, that doesn't sound good. Hope they fix it soon.
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member

It's interesting that TS3 worlds don't have this effect on me, but I think that's due to how large the worlds are and how customizable everything is.

Every world in Sims 3 has a different shading and water shader, that‘s why they look so wastly different.

For example Bridgeport is very dark with muddy water shader and Isla Paradiso has a bright shader that makes everything appear pastel.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member

It's interesting that TS3 worlds don't have this effect on me, but I think that's due to how large the worlds are and how customizable everything is.

Every world in Sims 3 has a different shading and water shader, that‘s why they look so wastly different.

For example Bridgeport is very dark with muddy water shader and Isla Paradiso has a bright shader that makes everything appear pastel.
    Most of them yeah. I think Sunset Valley, Riverview, Barnacle Bay and Hidden Springs share the same one but the rest were given different sky and water shades to appear different.
  • mauvejinjomauvejinjo Posts: 126 Member
    @Omri147 I loved having my sims travel to Champs Les Sims, simply because the sky would turn this pinkish tint that complemented the yellow-green shade the developers used for the grass. It gave the world an extra emotional feel.

My biggest issue with Tartosa is though we have nine lots, there are other areas of the map that would have been ideal for building lots. Henford-on-Bagley gave us the ability (albeit limited) to build and live in the town square of Finchwick. There also don't seem to be any venues selling base-game food, which is a missed opportunity. There are so many Mediterranean and seafood dishes in the base game; it is odd you cannot get them while visiting a Mediterranean world.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    Most of them yeah. I think Sunset Valley, Riverview, Barnacle Bay and Hidden Springs share the same one but the rest were given different sky and water shades to appear different.
    Hidden Springs? Wasn't that the dazzlingly bright green world that you needed sunglasses for? 😄 maybe I'm getting mixed up.

I'd never really noticed it before, but now someone has mentioned the sameness of them, I'm gonna be looking at TS4 worlds in a different way.
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    Hidden Springs? Wasn't that the dazzlingly bright green world that you needed sunglasses for? 😄 maybe I'm getting mixed up.

I'd never really noticed it before, but now someone has mentioned the sameness of them, I'm gonna be looking at TS4 worlds in a different way.
    I think that would be Aurora Skies, if you meant the sky being green that is. I guess the ground in Hidden Springs is very green, but not anymore than Sunset Valley or Riverview.
  • IblisTriggerIblisTrigger Posts: 31 Member
    Beach lot is in the basegame, it's surprising this lot type is not available for Baia dell'Amore
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2022

bKDNfpD.png

Why leave those objects at various spots? They are portable items that anyone can take with them. No need to clutter up the world for other sims that may want it left natural.

I understand adding non-portable items with TOOL (like bunny/bird spawns, playground items etc) but adding portable things is a waste.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    The 'new' waterfalls look as if they're a rehash of the quarry from EL. I agree the worlds look alike in many ways. And we're so tired of those fake buildings being passed off as 'new' towns. At least those fake backdrops of cities off in the distance aren't as prevalent as they once were. I'll take some mountains or just trees over that any day.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »

bKDNfpD.png

Why leave those objects at various spots? They are portable items that anyone can take with them. No need to clutter up the world for other sims that may want it left natural.

I understand adding non-portable items with TOOL (like bunny/bird spawns, playground items etc) but adding portable things is a waste.

Perhaps those items are there to make the place a bit more lively. NPCs might take a rest on a sunbed, I really would not prefer NPCs to bring their own sunbeds to place at random locations (and forget as they leave).

@OP: All worlds are boring if you take away the lots. Good thing is that we can develop the lots in any way we like, you are not in any way restricted to the content shipped with the pack.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »

bKDNfpD.png

Perhaps those items are there to make the place a bit more lively. NPCs might take a rest on a sunbed, I really would not prefer NPCs to bring their own sunbeds to place at random locations (and forget as they leave).

@OP: All worlds are boring if you take away the lots. Good thing is that we can develop the lots in any way we like, you are not in any way restricted to the content shipped with the pack.

That's the problem with so few lots though: if you actually want to add community lots, you'll have to allow like maximum 2 households to live in the world, and make your community lots very multifunctional.
  • dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    make your community lots very multifunctional.

Im a big fan of multifunctional! Im not really interested in weddings but I love building so I turned the beach lot in Tartosa into a wedding venue/bar/lounge/beach. That way I can just use it for whatever and free up lot space.

I love the world though, its really pretty. I kinda like the fact that its alot of walking everywhere as well because it makes it feel like an old mediterranean village (so maybe not designed for cars!).
    I put a villa on the gallery and its already my most popular download with over double the downloads of any other build so I guess quite a few people are liking that vibe too!