Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a downside to living in a dorm forever?

I have a sim who is at University right now getting her first degree. She runs a small retail business as her source of income and there's living quarters on the top floor of the business.

As she is getting near the end of her last term, it occurred to me that I could take 1 class per term and just keep working on multiple degrees to keep her living at the the dorms indefinitely. Her scholarships would make her cost of living significantly lower than even the cheapest apartment rents while giving her access to everything dorms offer, which is a lot in my game because all the dorms are custom builds with a lot of 'stuff' on them.

I use Carl's difficulty mod, so earning money is actually more challenging and bills cost more, this seems like it would be a good way to save some dough. She's always sleeping at her retail lot anyway and it seems a waste to tie up a residential lot on her.

So I'm curious, if anyone knows of a down side to this plan? I have only had this pack installed since Christmas, so I'm not super-experienced with the dorm life. The only downside I can think of is if she ever wants to get married and have kids, obviously she'd need a real home at that point.
This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
The Winters family Tree --- My Mods

Comments

• Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I’m not sure but I think she will get kicked out after graduation, so you may have to place her somewhere else temporarily until she can re-enroll for another degree. That will happen after each degree as far as I know, and the next degree(s) require less credits to complete than the first. That would be the only downside I could see.. although I’ve personally never tried signing up for a second degree right away, so maybe see if the game lets you while waiting for the “moving out” timer to complete and see?
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited February 2022
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    I’m not sure but I think she will get kicked out after graduation, so you may have to place her somewhere else temporarily until she can re-enroll for another degree. That will happen after each degree as far as I know, and the next degree(s) require less credits to complete than the first. That would be the only downside I could see.. although I’ve personally never tried signing up for a second degree right away, so maybe see if the game lets you while waiting for the “moving out” timer to complete and see?

I totally forgot to consider what will happen after she gets her degree. Thanks for the reminder. I will need to make sure there is a low-rent apartment which is actually empty, just in case I do need to move her out temporarily.
    Hopefully she will be able to re-enroll for a 2nd degree right away, but if not, best to be prepared.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    The weight gain from all the rich foods brought in by dorm mates might be a downside, also the fact that you can only have a cooker if you use a mod.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    The weight gain from all the rich foods brought in by dorm mates might be a downside, also the fact that you can only have a cooker if you use a mod.

She mostly lives above her retail store though, which means she has a full kitchen there and also mostly eats there. I only have her actually spend time in the dorm when she needs to regain some of her social need and even then only if I don't feel like going out to a community lot or just opening the store for a bit.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »

She mostly lives above her retail store though, which means she has a full kitchen there and also mostly eats there. I only have her actually spend time in the dorm when she needs to regain some of her social need and even then only if I don't feel like going out to a community lot or just opening the store for a bit.

That sounds like the food is less of a problem then.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Hmm... I can think of this.
    • Eventually, your sim will have all the degrees, in which case they can't attend university anymore, thus no dorm life anymore.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Hmm... I can think of this.
    • Eventually, your sim will have all the degrees, in which case they can't attend university anymore, thus no dorm life anymore.

:lol: yes, this is true, but I don't play with aging off nor with long lifespan, so it wouldn't happen in my particular game. Taking only one course per semester, it would take a very, very long time to get all of the degrees. The Sim would die of old age first.
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    Couldn't she make "student" her career, aka keep pursuing new degrees after finishing her last one? So she can live on campus forever? (or until she gets all the degrees offered). Thats what I'd try doing, although she might have to move home between degrees for a few weeks?
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    You can't have kids while living in a dorm. Pregnant sims have to move out.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    You can't have kids while living in a dorm. Pregnant sims have to move out.

Yes, I found that out the hard way. Even if you use a mod to 'pause' the pregnancy you can't fool the University Administration. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    You could buy the cheapest lot for her "home" and not put anything there. She can continue to live above her retail store.
  • Options
    You could buy the cheapest lot for her "home" and not put anything there. She can continue to live above her retail store.

Despite my original plan to stay in the dorms, which prompted me to make this thread, that ended up being what I did with her after she got her degree. She had so many scholarships she could have stayed in the fanciest dorm and had no bills at all, but with the wedding game pack that was just released....a marriageable sim keeping herself out of the eligible bachelorette pool was not something I had the willpower to do.

I ended up buying her a tiny lot, made it a tiny residential lot, and set her up with a tiny 2 bedroom for less than 6,000 simoleans.
  • Options
    DiassaDiassa Posts: 156 Member
    She needs a residental lot anyway even if she keeps staying in dorms or retail store.
      The Sages appreciation club
    RcdS04K.jpg
  • Options
    Diassa wrote: »
    She needs a residental lot anyway even if she keeps staying in dorms or retail store.

Sims in dorms don't require a residential lot.
  • Options
    PalabraPalabra Posts: 70 Member
    This is a great idea!

Gen 3 of my legacy was just born. So far, my founder, my heir, and my spare all went through university. I really enjoy the university pack. The cost of Uni in the Sims is definitely cheaper than anything else - and you're right; modded dorms can be really swanky. Taking 1 class could be a great workaround.

The only other issue I can see is that I don't think college students have the option to leave mid-semester. They can't take "vacations" the way regular sims can, which means that packs like Outdoor Adventures and Jungle Adventures won't be open to you. There's also the rotational play issue. If you don't play your student for a few days, won't they fall behind in their classes?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Palabra wrote: »
    The only other issue I can see is that I don't think college students have the option to leave mid-semester. They can't take "vacations" the way regular sims can, which means that packs like Outdoor Adventures and Jungle Adventures won't be open to you. There's also the rotational play issue. If you don't play your student for a few days, won't they fall behind in their classes?

I rotate households every week and just make sure to leave any university sim in the late afternoon on the last day of term. When you do that, you will still get whatever grades you earned, because you missed no classes, but you don't get the option to re-enroll until you return to that sim, so they don't start a new term without you either. Works like a charm.

But yah, long term staying in the dorms would present a problem if you wanted to do any of those other things that could take more than just a weekend. Though, it's not a huge deal if you get one F across the entire degree program. You can still graduate with an A- GPA. So I'd just suck up a bad grade and miss a term where a sim only took one class if I wanted to do those things.
    Or just move them out of the dorms and into another household (that I'm not playing) for a term. That works too. Just more tedious with the whole application process.