Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gender neutral terms at MWS, also will be translated gender neutral?

leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
Yes, right now refer to Bachelor / Bachelorette party, than now is Bach Party

At spanish was Despedida de soltero (Bachelor party) and Despedida de soltera (Bachelorette party)

I guess then Bach party, for spanish be translated to Despedida de soltere

Yes, soltere is not recogized by RAE (as all "lenguaje inclusivo) but is the gender neutral for soltero and soltera
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    In terms of Traditional Chinese, there won’t be an issue on this. In TC it’s called “單身派對/聚會,” which literally means “single’s* party/gathering.” And it has never been a term that has a gender connotation.

*The Chinese language oftentimes operates on an “implied” basis. In this instance, “single’s party” is generally implied as “last night being single.”
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    edited February 2022
    In German they could have use the word Polterabend, which implies a very loud party the couple does before the wedding day and where they invite friends and everybody who can't attend the ceremony. Only problem, the devs decided not to include breaking the porcelain tradition, which is the main reason why it called Polterabend, based on the proverb shards bring luck, so I don't have any idea how it would called, maybe something with the genderstar. A Polterabend without making a mess for the couple, isn't a Polterabend. It could have been so easy.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I think that's normal, especially compared to creating two different parties in the game (why should they do that?). I don't know what they chose for finnish translation, usually it's called "polttarit".
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    edited February 2022
    > @Daravi said:
    > In German they could have use the word Polterabend, which implies a very loud party the couple does before the wedding day and where they invite friends and everybody who can't attend the ceremony. Only problem, the devs decided not to include breaking the porcelain tradition, which is the main reason why it called Polterabend, based on the proverb shards bring luck, so I don't have any idea how it would called, maybe something with the genderstar. A Polterabend without making a mess for the couple, isn't a Polterabend. It could have been so easy.

It‘s called JGA in German. I saw it in Simtimes‘ livestream.

@grandmasbiscuits Ahh, thank you, I rarely watch the german youtubers or streamers in general. JGA is okay, kind of boring, but a good compromise. If they would write it down, it would be a monstrous long word. Thanks again. :smile:
    Post edited by Daravi on
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »

Is that an actual term? My mind just thinks we're having a party to celebrate a German composer.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Threads like this make my head hurt....
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    I totally agree - Bach party and flower pal. How lame.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Monaveil wrote: »
    I totally agree - Bach party and flower pal. How lame.

Question, flower pal is mandatory?
    At Argentina is not used that
    And is not always aboy who bring the rings, also can be a girl
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Question, flower pal is mandatory?
    At Argentina is not used that
    And is not always aboy who bring the rings, also can be a girl

No aspect of the weddings are mandatory with the new pack, you choose which will be used in the weddings you set up, and which you will not.

For the roles, gender does not matter, so you can have a girl, a boy, or a non-binary individual be the ring bearer. Unfortunately, hobbits are not available in the game for it though.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Weird thing is Ive never heard anyone say Bach party.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    Jyotai wrote: »

Is that an actual term? My mind just thinks we're having a party to celebrate a German composer.

I actually googled this and apparently a "Bach Party" is real term.

A google search for "gender neutral term for person getting married" returned for me as the first entry...

"Nearly Wed". Which is all known English wording. No risk of confusion. Nobody's gonna show up to your "Nearly Wed Party" in a Renaissance outfit with a giant wig on and wax poetic about classical music composers (unless that is your party theme). ;)

That said, 'Bach Party' I get, as an attempt to make the neutral by shaving off the gendered part. But it then hits on a famous surname.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    edited February 2022
    Honestly I like "Bach Party." It's easy & simple. "Flower pal" is fine but "flower child" couldve allowed a fun pun.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    I don’t care about the wording of things.They can call it whatever they want. I have a problem with the entire game play focusing on gender neutrality. If I want to throw a “Bach” party I would need the club system from another pack in order to create a traditional stag night (all male) with stag night activities and that’s even without being able to hire the juicy dancers (all female). It’s ridiculous. Completely and utterly ridiculous.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I don’t care about the wording of things.They can call it whatever they want. I have a problem with the entire game play focusing on gender neutrality. If I want to throw a “Bach” party I would need the club system from another pack in order to create a traditional stag night (all male) with stag night activities and that’s even without being able to hire the juicy dancers (all female). It’s ridiculous. Completely and utterly ridiculous.

No you wouldn't.

It's a party. You plan parties. Including who is invited. You don't want to invite females to a Bachelor Party, you don't have to.

Why do you need another pack for that?
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    It's a good thing the game is not localized in Hebrew cause it is a very VERY gendered language (a simple sentence in past/future tense could have three gendered words in a row), there would be literally no way to make a gender neutral term for 'bachlor/ette party'.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »

No you wouldn't.

It's a party. You plan parties. Including who is invited. You don't want to invite females to a Bachelor Party, you don't have to.

Why do you need another pack for that?

Okay that makes sense, but would I be able to add any party activity ( including activities available via the GT club system) or is it limited to what the planner gives us? It seems impossible to plan a traditional bachelor/ bachelorette party, say, sims 3 style. Is there an option to invite an entertainer at all?

And I apologise, I should really head over to the threads that answer those questions. I’m going off topic now.
  • Options
    caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    edited February 2022
    I don't see a problem with gender neutral terms in this case. It doesn't make any sense creating two separate events for Bachelor and Bachelorette parties. Same with the Flower Pal. If it was Flower Girl some of you would be offended that they called your boy a girl and vice versa. I think it's fine and it includes everyone, which is always a good thing. :smile:

Usually, in portuguese, the masculine term is used as a gender neutral option so I guess they'll use that. I just saw a early review and for the Flower Pal they used "Responsável pelas pétalas de flores" which roughly translates to "responsible for the flower petals".
    he/him