Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are many sims youtubers overlook the fact the sims 4 is lacking?

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited February 2022
    Cinebar wrote: »

I think people mean it's lacking compared to what was actually in the base games of others. Those are facts when every thing is compared.

No, it's really not a fact. It all depends on how one measures and quantifies things to make the determination that it is "lacking". That's a value judgement, making it an opinion.

You are making the same mistake as others here in concluding that your way of measuring is the "one true way". Which I assume means you have some kind of check list in your head and each thing that gets checked off counts as a point with equal weighting to each thing on that check list.
    Someone else's view on it may be quite different, with completely different things on that checklist and with values for each that covers a spectrum dependent on not just whether something is "in the game" but also precisely how it has been done and/or which feature it is.

Opinion, not fact, plain and simple.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Different people place different value in different aspects of the games. I've been simming since the original game came out, what...21 years ago now? And I prefer TS4 to all of it's predecessors. That's not to say I think it's perfect, and there are plenty of things which I think both 2 and 3 did better. But for my own personal preferences of what I want out of the games, 4 is my favorite.

I still do play TS2 and TS3 as well, though, because like I said, there are plenty of things that both of them do better.

It's extremely narrow-minded to take the view that your opinion is "a fact" when ... well, it's not.

I think people mean it's lacking compared to what was actually in the base games of others. Those are facts when every thing is compared. We've had to wait for years for things like a smarter AI in TS4 compared to TS2 or even TS3. They are just now (going on 8 years) getting around to things they added in game updates to spruce up the Sim personality....which still can't compare to TS2 and TS3 Sims. So much that isn't in TS4 that were every day work for TS2 that it's hard to say it's not facts. When we compare EPs to EPs...even if not even in the same realm we still come up short in so many ways.

I would argue that sims 4 sims are not smarter even with all the improvements. Like my sim who supposedly dislikes video games gets the whim to play video games every single time she vacuums. I mean that’s weird enough in itself I think, I can’t be the only one who after vacuuming doesn’t feel focused and want to do tech activities? But the fact she doesn’t like it but wants to do it? Make it make sense! Why do kids in the sims 4 want to do laundry? All the time? The so called smarter sims of sims 4 still can’t just wash a dish in the kitchen, it’s a traipse to the bathroom. If a sim grabs a quick meal from the fridge they don’t route automatically to the nearest chair or table, oh no if there’s someone else in the house they will route all the way to where that person is even if that person is say a sleeping toddler.

I totally agree that when you break down EPs vs EPs the sims 2 and 3 always have more than the sims 4. And a large part of that is because so many of the components that make up a sims 2 expansion pack was broken off and sold for separate dlc in the sims 4.

I also completely agree that the game changers purpose is advertising for the game. I know a few who briefly talk about the issues the game has but you can bet your bottom dollar when there’s a new dlc to be had and a chance for a freebie amend to make content early thus giving them bank? They will love it.*

* Several months down the line they will trash the same dlc and or say the previous version of it was better.
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Lilsimsie criticizes the game too, just not all the time. She basically makes a living out of TS4, so she's not gonna spit in the soup (it's an expression in France).

She absolutely does in her videos and in her livestreams but that would require people to actually watch it. Not sure what people have said about her on here, but they always attack her on Reddit and it's really pathetic. She's always the scapegoat. They praise Plumbella but at the end of the day she is giving exposure to the franchise the same way LilSimsie does, whether it's good or bad. All those YTubers make money off TS4 and get packs free, full stop. If people want to call one out then they need to call them all out.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    Jinkx wrote: »
    For example: lilsimsie plays the sims since the sims 3. But would she be more critical if she played the sims 1 & 2 a lot more?

I play the sims since 2000 and thats why i can see the sims 4 is lacking. The expansions they put out are not on the same level as the sims 1 and sims 2?

I fully believe she would be more critical if she was familiar with the Sims 1 and 2. Unfortunately, lilsimsie does not seem that interested in exploring the franchise's roots, at least not publicly. She's done a handful of videos on the Sims 2 but focused on CAS and build mode. Obviously, the game is never going to compete in that regard, so it appears she lost interest.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
    edited February 2022
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Lilsimsie criticizes the game too, just not all the time. She basically makes a living out of TS4, so she's not gonna spit in the soup (it's an expression in France).

She absolutely does in her videos and in her livestreams but that would require people to actually watch it. Not sure what people have said about her on here, but they always attack her on Reddit and it's really pathetic. She's always the scapegoat. They praise Plumbella but at the end of the day she is giving exposure to the franchise the same way LilSimsie does, whether it's good or bad. All those YTubers make money off TS4 and get packs free, full stop. If people want to call one out then they need to call them all out.

Yes she occasionally criticizes but her whole vibe and brand is being very excitable and positive, especially regarding building in the Sims. I think audiences have different tastes and tolerances for how they want creators to act. Some find brutal honesty and critique to be cathartic, others find positivity to be refreshing.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2022

I think people mean it's lacking compared to what was actually in the base games of others. Those are facts when every thing is compared.

No, it's really not a fact. It all depends on how one measures and quantifies things to make the determination that it is "lacking". That's a value judgement, making it an opinion.

You are making the same mistake as others here in concluding that your way of measuring is the "one true way". Which I assume means you have some kind of check list in your head and each thing that gets checked off counts as a point with equal weighting to each thing on that check list.
    Someone else's view on it may be quite different, with completely different things on that checklist and with values for each that covers a spectrum dependent on not just whether something is "in the game" but also precisely how it has been done and/or which feature it is.

Opinion, not fact, plain and simple.

No to be fair just look at the 'facts'. Baby jumps from baby to child out of a baby crib...2 and 3 didn't do that. TS1 did...it's a fact they went backwards and therefore made TS4 'lacking' in the area of how a baby would grow. (before the toddlers backlash)

Facts: All the games had pools, even TS1, they had to patch those in for TS4. That made TS4 'lacking'.

Look at DLC...bowling..TS2, TS3 had bowling but more than two Sims can play, and they talked, sat down, and multitasks while doing it and most importantly built relationships while playing together...fact TS4 didn't..had to be patched years later..therefore making TS4 'lacking' in areas of what other games offered.

Dance together (all others had this) not TS4...lacking the animations and relationship building attributes to dance facing each other and 'together' without all the Sims in a room....that made TS4 'lacking'.

I have nine hundred and ninety nine more examples. :p

Don't get me started on buildmode and or roof structures lacking in TS4. (cough, we were promised we would also be able to paint the underside of the eaves...a big promise never fulfilled day one).

Cars...TS1 has public transportation, taxi, buses to community lots etc. TS2, TS3 has drivable ownable cars..TS4 walks from the mountains to the desert..immersion breaking..therefore lacking. Some might say that's just preference but if it's a life simulator how many people do you know that can do that? Not many.

Lacking a smart AI..if my Sims need to eat and there is a perfect table there in the kitchen or a formal one in a dining room or even a patio table (loves outdoors) where does it go? Upstairs to the bedroom because someone is sleeping in there and they need to go eat and crunch food and watch them sleep...lol..immersion breaking when a Sim can't route to a perfectly good table. Or stands up at the dining table with guests and or family, and needs to hug somebody..anybody, any old Sim will do...poorly implemented AI. Lacking! If the guest was upset, ok, hug them, but Sims want to eat leave them alone silly, needy Sim. lol That's shows how many times people have to 'cancel out' a Sim's AI in this game..all day long if it breaks immersion for some of us who care about immersion. Cancel, cancel, cancel has become this game and too much clicking to make the Sim do what we told it to do.

How many years did I beg for two story columns and or three story columns..years..when all others had them by now. lacking in buildmode simple objects finally ability to 'stretch' them I guess in a patch years later.

Kissing animation..lips, still after almost eight years don't touch lips..even TS1 got that animation right way back when we rode dinosaurs. Maxis must think it doesn't matter no one is watching they will just jump to the next EP, GP, kit and never notice....wrong Maxis, we know what you do well and don't do well.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited February 2022
    Trotting out your personal checklist to tally up your personal score board for the game just makes the point I already made, @Cinebar.

It doesn't matter if you could put 999 more things down, it would still be those specific things which you consider as having value for the games being measured. Someone else might not care about a single one of those things, and therefore they would not be part of that person's valuation in deciding if the game was 'lacking' or not.

It's okay to have opinions, you don't need to try to "prove" they are facts.
    edited February 2022
    Trotting out your personal checklist to tally up your personal score board for the game just makes the point I already made, @Cinebar.

It doesn't matter if you could put 999 more things down, it would still be those specific things which you consider as having value for the games being measured. Someone else might not care about a single one of those things, and therefore they would not be part of that person's valuation in deciding if the game was 'lacking' or not.

They're pretty...essential...to Sims functioning as a game. If you don't care about what was referenced, like lack of smart AI (huge!) then you just care about Sims 4 as a glorified movie-making tool, as someone said on Twitter.
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member

I agree with you that anything one sees as lacking is a personal opinion, but I'm curious, do you see any areas that the game is lacking in?
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,548 Member
    edited February 2022

They're pretty...essential...to Sims functioning as a game. If you don't care about what was referenced, like lack of smart AI (huge!) then you just care about Sims 4 as a glorified movie-making tool, as someone said on Twitter.

I think that all depends on your play style. To me, TS2 was too restrictive. I didn’t want all of the “stuff” it made me do. I wanted to create and stage my own stories with characters that I envisioned. TS3 got closer to that. TS4 is somewhat better, even with some limitations. I value flexibility over organized, game controlled gameplay. So, is my play style less valid than yours? I don’t think so. And, there are a lot of us still enjoying the game. But, yeah. Let’s dump it because your preferences aren’t being met.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited February 2022
    I cannot believe this is still being hashed out, oy! It’s been 7+ years now. TS4 is what TS4 is and yes the base game may have been lackluster and devoid of pools and toddlers but man alive things have changed the game is much bigger now and @Stormkeep is right. Your idea of “lacking” is likely very different from someone else’s. What was important to you in past iterations may not hold value to someone else. For instance I don’t give a hoot about:
    • Dragons
    • Werewolves
    • Cars
    • Vibrating heart shaped beds
    • Heart shaped hot tubs
    • Body hair
    And many other things people are forever wringing their hands over on here. I don’t find the game lacking for those things at all, and as far as “deep meaningful gameplay” goes. What in the world is anyone even talking about? I have TS3 and I play it on occasion and it’s click, click, click, click, sim performs action, sim speaks gibberish, sim nods and smiles, or grimaces and yells, and if I am not click, click, clicking sim stands about or wanders off to some random thing that may or may not get them killed. Between the 2 iterations I see no discernible difference in “emotional depth” between the pixelated little beasts at all. I like that my UI isn’t cluttered up with astrological star signs that mean nothing to me. Mary Sue wasn’t born under a sign she was built in CAS. She has a personality, the one I imagine for her, no more no less. It’s a digitized doll house, and 90% of the story takes place in your imagination and the reason past iterations carried you so far away is because you were younger then and more capable of suspending reality and living in your imagination for hours and hours on end. Some of us outgrow that, some don’t. If past iterations still capture your imagination likely because of deep sentimental attachment then play them, love them and enjoy them and stop forever throwing cold water on the enjoyment other people have for this iteration. It’s become an unhealthy obsession at this point. I don’t see those who genuinely love TS4 over on the forums for 2 and 3 constantly bashing them, and it’s not necessarily because they love those games too some TS4 fans actually prefer it over 2 and 3, and yet don’t feel the need to spend hours, days, weeks, months, or even YEARS trashing them and convincing the players that they’re out of their tree for enjoying them. Seriously there must be something else you can do. Like oh, I don’t know…playing TS2, or TS3 since you profess to love them so very much.
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    As someone who has played all all four iterations of the Sims, TS4 has held my attention the longest as it has allowed me the most flexibility to tell my own stories. I remember liking 1 and 2 well enough (haven't played them in years now), but I remember preferring other games at the time and only playing sims once in awhile (partially because of the loading time). I played 3 pretty heavily for about three years and had a good time, but I had to mod it up pretty good to make it run properly, and those mods ended up slowing the game down so much as to make it unplayable for me. Once I tried 4 (after the release of toddlers and vampires) I never went back, as it ticked most of my own boxes for what I wanted in a simulation game.

Like others have said better than I can, each version of the game has its own style, and what works well for one may not be to another's liking. Doesn't make one objectively better than another. For example, there are things in 4 that none of the other games ever had, but that doesn't retroactively make the older games incomplete of lacking in value.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    as a player i think those that make those youtube videos are unreliable its best to trust or own judgement and see for ourselves ingame but thats me as a player of the sims4
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    edited February 2022
    Astro wrote: »
    I agree with you that anything one sees as lacking is a personal opinion, but I'm curious, do you see any areas that the game is lacking in?

Heck yes, I do. But that too, is just my opinion. Which is basically the only point I was making here. We all have opinions, and I love threads where people share those opinions freely. "Areas" where a game is lacking, however, does not make the game as a whole necessarily lacking.

I mean, all games in the entire franchise are lacking in some areas, as far as I'm concerned.

But I take issue when anyone tries to argue with someone else's opinion and claim that their own opinion is fact and therefore unassailable. The entire premise of this thread is based on that; it's right in the subject line.
    edited February 2022

And your entire first sentence is still just an opinion, no matter how you frame it and how tightly you hold the belief. That your statement is an opinion is the only fact in what I quoted from you.

Besides, no sims game has had good AI. They haven't had any AI at all, actually. I mod, I know how sims decide what to do in all of the games, and there's no AI in any of them....just objects and interactions that attract them, or not. That's not AI.

And your entire first sentence is still just an opinion, no matter how you frame it and how tightly you hold the belief. That your statement is an opinion is the only fact in what I quoted from you.

Besides, no sims game has had good AI. They haven't had any AI at all, actually. I mod, I know how sims decide what to do in all of the games, and there's no AI in any of them....just objects and interactions that attract them, or not. That's not AI.

The Sims 4 took a few steps forward and many steps back. This can even be analyzed quantitatively, as many have done before. Perhaps you *value* what Sims 4 improved, which is why you like the game more. That's opinion. I don't argue with your opinion. However, Sims 4 is a net regression in terms of substance.
    The Sims 4 took a few steps forward and many steps back. You can even be analyzed quantitatively, as many have done before. Perhaps you *value* what Sims 4 improved, which is why you like the game more. That opinion. I don't argue with opinion. However, Sims 4 is a net regression in terms of substance.

That’s your opinion some of us would say that other iterations were cluttered up with unnecessary features that restricted the way we like to play, and that too can be quantitatively measured.
    edited February 2022
    What? I'm not saying Sims 4 is worse for you, I'm saying it's just...less. It maybe be better for your playstyle. That's not the point I'm making, Pam.
    What? I'm not saying Sims 4 is worse for you, I'm saying it's just...less. It maybe be better for your playstyle. That's not the point I'm making, Pam.

I don’t see is as less though, you do. Those are our opinions.
    In terms of features and quantity of content, it's less. You even said yourself the older iterations are "cluttered" i.e. more in a bad way (in your opinion), but still more nonetheless. You might like less, and it sounds like you do. That's valid.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    [I have TS3 and I play it on occasion and it’s click, click, click, click, sim performs action, sim speaks gibberish, sim nods and smiles, or grimaces and yells, and if I am not click, click, clicking sim stands about or wanders off to some random thing that may or may not get them killed. Between the 2 iterations I see no discernible difference in “emotional depth” between the pixelated little beasts at all. I like that my UI isn’t cluttered up with astrological star signs that mean nothing to me. Mary Sue wasn’t born under a sign she was built in CAS. She has a personality, the one I imagine for her, no more no less. It’s a digitized doll house, and 90% of the story takes place in your imagination and the reason past iterations carried you so far away is because you were younger then and more capable of suspending reality and living in your imagination for hours and hours on end. Some of us outgrow that, some don’t. If past iterations still capture your imagination likely because of deep sentimental attachment then play them, love them and enjoy them and stop forever throwing cold water on the enjoyment other people have for this iteration. It’s become an unhealthy obsession at this point. I don’t see those who genuinely love TS4 over on the forums for 2 and 3 constantly bashing them, and it’s not necessarily because they love those games too some TS4 fans actually prefer it over 2 and 3, and yet don’t feel the need to spend hours, days, weeks, months, or even YEARS trashing them and convincing the players that they’re out of their tree for enjoying them. Seriously there must be something else you can do. Like oh, I don’t know…playing TS2, or TS3 since you profess to love them so very much.[/quote]

But that’s the thing, in the older games 90% of the story isn’t in the players imagination. It’s actually happening in game.
    Take for example in my Sims 1 game: Bella and Mortimer had a baby. Mortimer was cooking and as he’s a terrible cook, set the kitchen on fire. Both Bella and Mortimer panic because of the fire and are too busy panicking to attend to the baby who is crying. The social worker turns up and removes the baby. Mortimer dies in the fire but it turned into a zombie.

Bella becomes severely depressed over these events and refuses to go to work or skill build. Her mood understandably is at rock bottom and she’s finding it very hard to socialise.

Had this been the sims 4, no baby would have been removed and Bella would have got over the loss of her husband by dinner time.

In my sims 2 game my current sim is at university and she wants to woohoo with her professor, she fears getting a bad grade and she wants to learn how to make toy robots on the side whilst also having lots of parties and meeting lots of people and making friends. As I tend to let my sims go with their wants, what she wants and fears is important to me. She had a great date with another student and they gifted her a television.
    I don’t have to pretend any of this is true it happens. Yes sometimes she does things on her own that change things dramatically: She goosed a romantic interest after walking in on him and the bathroom and he was not amused. He now no longer likes her.
    In the sims 3 my sims have unique wishes to them and their personalities. My sims kids don’t get constant wishes to do laundry, my sims don’t hit on any other sim just because they happen to be flirty. Traits mean something and are a lot more stronger in sims 3 than 4.

I do have to use my imagination in sims 4. If I have a couple break up or cheat I have to imagine they care, I never have to do that in the previous games. It’s one of the reasons I really struggle to gel with the sims 4. If my sims don’t care about good or bad things I find it very hard too.
    edited February 2022
    But that’s the thing, in the older games 90% of the story isn’t in the players imagination. It’s actually happening in game.
    Take for example in my Sims 1 game: Bella and Mortimer had a baby. Mortimer was cooking and as he’s a terrible cook, set the kitchen on fire. Both Bella and Mortimer panic because of the fire and are too busy panicking to attend to the baby who is crying. The social worker turns up and removes the baby. Mortimer dies in the fire but it turned into a zombie.

Bella becomes severely depressed over these events and refuses to go to work or skill build. Her mood understandably is at rock bottom and she’s finding it very hard to socialise.

Had this been the sims 4, no baby would have been removed and Bella would have got over the loss of her husband by dinner time.

In my sims 2 game my current sim is at university and she wants to woohoo with her professor, she fears getting a bad grade and she wants to learn how to make toy robots on the side whilst also having lots of parties and meeting lots of people and making friends. As I tend to let my sims go with their wants, what she wants and fears is important to me. She had a great date with another student and they gifted her a television.
    I don’t have to pretend any of this is true it happens. Yes sometimes she does things on her own that change things dramatically: She goosed a romantic interest after walking in on him and the bathroom and he was not amused. He now no longer likes her.
    In the sims 3 my sims have unique wishes to them and their personalities. My sims kids don’t get constant wishes to do laundry, my sims don’t hit on any other sim just because they happen to be flirty. Traits mean something and are a lot more stronger in sims 3 than 4.

I do have to use my imagination in sims 4. If I have a couple break up or cheat I have to imagine they care, I never have to do that in the previous games. It’s one of the reasons I really struggle to gel with the sims 4. If my sims don’t care about good or bad things I find it very hard too.

Eloquent response, thank you. I relate to all of this.

Ok then…
    If past iterations still capture your imagination likely because of deep sentimental attachment then play them, love them and enjoy them and stop forever throwing cold water on the enjoyment other people have for this iteration. It’s become an unhealthy obsession at this point. I don’t see those who genuinely love TS4 over on the forums for 2 and 3 constantly bashing them, and it’s not necessarily because they love those games too some TS4 fans actually prefer it over 2 and 3, and yet don’t feel the need to spend hours, days, weeks, months, or even YEARS trashing them and convincing the players that they’re out of their tree for enjoying them. Seriously there must be something else you can do. Like oh, I don’t know…playing TS2, or TS3 since you profess to love them so very much.

edited February 2022
    Here's my take on the franchise and why I will still disagree with anyone who tries to make the claim that any one of them is "lacking" in comparison to the others without also qualifying which aspects of the game they are weighting as being the most important:

TS2 - In my opinion, this has the best 'gameplay' of any Sims game made to date. But it is also more confining than any Sims game made since, locking you to a single lot with nowhere else to go other than the street right in front. If I measured purely by gameplay, however, I would call all other games in the franchise "lacking."

TS3 - In my opinion, has the best worlds for those who want to really flex their creativity in creating and modifying the world. But the Sims look like >:)>:)>:) and that open world makes backdrops a lot less attractive. The worlds are also not all that interesting, if you remove all the lots there's basically nothing there that you couldn't accomplish with better performance and higher visual appeal with static backdrops. It also destroys the idea of rotational play the way many of us liked to play TS2.
    If I measured purely based on the elements of world creation, exploration and building, however, I would call all games in the franchise "lacking" compared to TS3.

TS4 - In my opinion, does CAS And BB better than any other game in the franchise. It's the only one in the franchise where I don't, personally, feel the need for CC for both BB and CAS. I do still use CC, but I actually like the Maxis stuff better than most of the CC, and I can't say that for any other Sims game. If I measured purely by CAS and BB, I would call all of the other games in the franchise "lacking" in comparison.

Some of you seem to think you can trot out lists of things and count them up, and that makes your opinion objectively "fact" but if all of the things you trot out are "gameplay" elements...as far as I'm concerned, it's still ONE thing you are focused on...gameplay. You're focused on it, because that's what matters to you the most. Which is fine. But it doesn't make your opinion an objective, quantifiable, fact.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    edited February 2022
    Here's my take on the franchise and why I will still disagree with anyone who tries to make the claim that any one of them is "lacking" in comparison to the others without also qualifying which aspects of the game they are weighting as being the most important:

TS2 - In my opinion, this has the best 'gameplay' of any Sims game made to date. But it is also more confining than any Sims game made since, locking you to a single lot with nowhere else to go other than the street right in front. If I measured purely by gameplay, however, I would call all other games in the franchise "lacking."

TS3 - In my opinion, has the best worlds for those who want to really flex their creativity in creating and modifying the world. But the Sims look like >:)>:)>:) and that open world makes backdrops a lot less attractive. The worlds are also not all that interesting, if you remove all the lots there's basically nothing there that you couldn't accomplish with better performance and higher visual appeal with static backdrops. It also destroys the idea of rotational play the way many of us liked to play TS2.
    If I measured purely based on the elements of world creation, exploration and building, however, I would call all games in the franchise "lacking" compared to TS3.

TS4 - In my opinion, does CAS And BB better than any other game in the franchise. It's the only one in the franchise where I don't, personally, feel the need for CC for both BB and CAS. I do still use CC, but I actually like the Maxis stuff better than most of the CC, and I can't say that for any other Sims game. If I measured purely by CAS and BB, I would call all of the other games in the franchise "lacking" in comparison.

Some of you seem to think you can trot out lists of things and count them up, and that makes your opinion objectively "fact" but if all of the things you trot out are "gameplay" elements...as far as I'm concerned, it's still ONE thing you are focused on...gameplay. You're focused on it, because that's what matters to you the most. Which is fine. But it doesn't make your opinion an objective, quantifiable, fact.

I agree with most of your points.

I also feel like TS2 had the best "gameplay" including animations. At the time, I never thought about being locked to my home lot because, of course we didn't know anything else, so that never bothered me when it was the current game. Now it's a little irritating, but I'm used to TS4 now, so it's not horrible. Loved the ability to go shopping in person, used to love to go clothes shopping and try on outfits in the clothing booths, carry my bag out, etc.

TS3 I loved that we could create and/or DL custom worlds, that was amazing. I did feel like some of the worlds were just wayyyyyy too big and overwhelming to me, I didn't go to 1/3 of the lots. And, I did NOT like all of the rabbit holes, I remember the first time I was going to take my sim grocery shopping, and I'm like wait, why can't I see inside? Not a fan of those. But, the open world personally felt more alive because I could see my neighbors coming and going, unlike in TS4 you don't see neighbors, you see walk-bys, that's it. You don't see neighbors outside doing anything.

TS4 has a lot better CAS and BB mode than the other games (although I'm still hoping some kind of CASt comes to a future sims game, that and editable worlds is what makes me not love TS4. I also do not think that building in TS4 is as easy as the other games were. But, I'm not a builder. I have pet peeves with certain things (such as not being able to delete single floor tiles without building a "room" around it first. I hate that an upper floor is automatically placed when I go up a level, I want to see the floor below so I can make my stairway cohesive when designing upstairs. Roofing is easier, but I do miss auto roofs. But I do like that we can add a foundation after we've built a house.

TS4 is definitely different than the other games, but it for sure is not my favorite even though there are things I like better than the other games (enlarging/shrinking BB items, raising/lowering objects, the search by name function), but there's also things I liked better about the other games (such as the ability to create collections).

My biggest complaint of all with TS4 is how skimpy the packs are with functioning gameplay objects. Not just decor items, but actual objects/activities for sims to do that are actually uniquely animated. There's lots of different gameplay that is attached to the UI and moodlets and emotions, and the computer, but there's not a lot of different "things to do".

In TS3 we had:

Paddle Boat
    Speed Boat
    Food Processor
    Frisbee
    Mechanical Bull
    Trampoline
    Pool Table
    Sculpting Station
    Drums
    Gem Cutting Machine
    Skeeball Game
    Photo Booth
    Pool Slide
    Pool Bar
    Actual Diving Board
    Putting Green

For Kids:
    Toy Oven
    Seesaw
    Strollers
    Spring Rider
    Rocking Horse
    Hopscotch

Sims 3
    11 EPs
    9 SPs

Sims 4

11 EPs
    11 GPs (after MWS releases tomorrow)
    18 SPs
    10 Kits

The point I’m trying to make is that with as many different types of packs that TS4 has released to date, there’s no reason for it to be so lacking in interactive objects and activities compared to a game that was only active for 5 years.

I don't think TS4 is lacking in certain areas, but in my personal opinion TS4 fails a lot in that area.