Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A southern pack ?

Comments

• Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    When I heard 'southern' I imagined a pack with cockneys and parliament, where people use 'ah' sounds over 'a' sounds.

Edited to add: it'd be a really nice city, cos that's the where the government allots all the funding to.

Did you know that the Southern accent came was a slowed-down version of the British accent?

Because it's so hot here that everything slows right down. :D
    Kironide wrote: »
    ExxCee wrote: »
    When I heard 'southern' I imagined a pack with cockneys and parliament, where people use 'ah' sounds over 'a' sounds.

Edited to add: it'd be a really nice city, cos that's the where the government allots all the funding to.

And houses cost too much. :'(

Although, in terms of horses, you could have the New Forest ponies.

Or police horses...

You know, I don't think I've ever seen police horses outside of the TV.

You see often mounted officers in central London, particularly around parliament.

Back on topic, please will you tell me what grits are?

Grits are basically polenta, but every so slightly looser/creamier in texture.
    Monet11 wrote: »
    telemwill wrote: »

When I think of the South I think of y'all, cornbread and fried chicken, bluegrass, clogging, and football. We do like potlucks though! (Caveat: I am more Appalachian area than deep South, so experiences may vary.)

All the above plus ice cold sweet tea. I hear you on the potlucks. :D

We already have iced tea on the drink tray.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member

Or police horses...

I almost got run over once by real-life police horses at a street concert that turned into a riot...

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    edited February 2022
    Rouensims wrote: »

Or police horses...

I almost got run over once by real-life police horses at a street concert that turned into a riot...
    Rouensims wrote: »

Or police horses...

Now that's a claim to fame if I've ever heard one. :D
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member

Would lurv me a Wild West Sims 4 Adventure and ride me horsey into the sunset, YEE-HAW, BANG BANG!

Let’s not forget about the poor Shetland ponies though.
    Aww…

3-D6-BC20-F-F73-D-428-C-B215-2320-A7-B6-BCE2.jpg

Sweet Little fluffy hooves. Great for toddlers too.
    When I was a kid teen person I was repeatedly chased by this miniature Shetland Pony called “Basie”. Basie was absolutely lethal. He looked like the cuddly guy in the picture but he had the attitude of a giant black bull. Shetland ponies are deceptively cute, just like Grizzlies. Grizzlies ain’t teddy bears either!
    Whenever I came near Basie he got all tense and immediately changed into attack mode, which meant I had to run like the wind in order to survive his agonizing headbutts. Long time afterwards someone told me he was simply protecting the two larger mares that he shared the paddocks with, from my presence. What a brave little guy.
    He was such a Mean Mane Machine tho, but I loved him. 😆
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I really want horses and ponies. And Unicorns. And all the Southern food in America people keep asking for, sounds delicious.
  • HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    Would lurv me a Wild West Sims 4 Adventure and ride me horsey into the sunset, YEE-HAW, BANG BANG!

Let’s not forget about the poor Shetland ponies though.
    Aww…

3-D6-BC20-F-F73-D-428-C-B215-2320-A7-B6-BCE2.jpg

Sweet Little fluffy hooves. Great for toddlers too.
    When I was a kid teen person I was repeatedly chased by this miniature Shetland Pony called “Basie”. Basie was absolutely lethal. He looked like the cuddly guy in the picture but he had the attitude of a giant black bull. Shetland ponies are deceptively cute, just like Grizzlies. Grizzlies ain’t teddy bears either!
    Whenever I came near Basie he got all tense and immediately changed into attack mode, which meant I had to run like the wind in order to survive his agonizing headbutts. Long time afterwards someone told me he was simply protecting the two larger mares that he shared the paddocks with, from my presence. What a brave little guy.
    He was such a Mean Mane Machine tho, but I loved him. 😆

There’s a reason why PONY is a 4 letter word. 😝

But srsly, I want all things horse. Cuz reasons.
    edited February 2022
    Thinking some more about potlucks, and food, my top wish-list for southern food would be: fried chicken, hashbrown casserole, fried okra, chess pie (or better yet, chess squares), shrimp & grits, barbecue (with variations for pulled pork and brisket), cornbread, creamed corn or corn pudding, and fried green tomatoes. Banana pudding is not my favorite IRL, but it's pretty classic. Also, if you don't have a burger topped with pimiento cheese, what are you even doing? I'd like to see a "quick meal" plate for just pimiento cheese and crackers as well.

For drinks, I would add mint juleps, and also milk punch (an eggnog alternative that's basically milk + bourbon + sugar). We already have iced tea and lemonade on the drink tray, but I would not be averse to those being moved from that pack to base game. Alternatively, they could add fruit tea punch.

We have red velvet cupcakes on the cupcake machine, but those could either be added to BG or a whole red velvet cake could be added.

Finally, we have to have peach trees. Absolutely have to. We need to be able to make peach pies, peach cobbler, etc. There are some other harvestables I'd still like to see added to the game, but peach trees are the most glaring omission for me at this point. And of course, it would definitely need to be added as a canning option.

ETA: I would also totally buy a kit that was nothing but this menu. I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen any kits that are either all food, all harvestables, or a combination thereof.
    Post edited by Amapola76 on
    Also, for non-culinary harvestables, I'd love to see iris added as a new flower that can be grown.
    edited February 2022
    Oops, meant to edit a previous post, but somehow added a new one that I can't delete.

Anyway, if we had a hobbies pack set in a southern world, we could call it something like "Get Relaxed." :D
  • aliceciprianoalicecipriano Posts: 7 New Member
    > @Horrorgirl6 said:
    > This is just an idea, but since we do not have horses.Maybe we can have a southern pack ?Features
    >
    > Horses are back put them in competitions learn to ride them and train them
    >
    > Put the horses in a town rodeo.Where you can also ride bulls
    >
    > Go down to the town center to socialize with other townies.Each week is different event.One week the anual potluck, next week square dancing competition.
    > That's all I have free to add more ideas.

I still hope for horses to come to the game, i will never feel completed until I can ride my horses like in TS3 😂
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    Oops, meant to edit a previous post, but somehow added a new one that I can't delete.

Anyway, if we had a hobbies pack set in a southern world, we could call it something like "Get Relaxed." :D

That probably bee more of a game pack buts that would be cute.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I mean, I associate Horses with the American Southwest/West more than the American South too, but there is always Kentucky. Big horse culture there. Also Maryland and Virginia. It's all Money, mostly Old Money, and probably more focused on Horse Racing (which is a ... touchy subject) than Maxis would be comfortable with or than most people think of when they think horses in the Sims, but Horses aren't actually that removed from the American South.
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I mean, I associate Horses with the American Southwest/West more than the American South too, but there is always Kentucky. Big horse culture there. Also Maryland and Virginia. It's all Money, mostly Old Money, and probably more focused on Horse Racing (which is a ... touchy subject) than Maxis would be comfortable with or than most people think of when they think horses in the Sims, but Horses aren't actually that removed from the American South.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I was looking at it. Rodeos/cowboys are more of a southwest thing. Horses are definitely a thing in the south, but as you say, it's more of an old money (or new money) and racing thing.

Either way, as much as I would love horses to be added back to the game, I suspect that if we get them at all, it will be in a separate GP devoted exclusively to them. Basically, I think they'd be treated as the equivalent of an occult GP.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I say forget horses let's get race cars nothing says the south like Daytona and racing. Now a southern pack should also have football pecan pie grits fried chicken and watermelon football and an endless supply of dinosaur sized insects maybe not that big but close. They also can toss in a southern hospitality trait.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I say forget horses let's get race cars nothing says the south like Daytona and racing. Now a southern pack should also have football pecan pie grits fried chicken and watermelon football and an endless supply of dinosaur sized insects maybe not that big but close. They also can toss in a southern hospitality trait.

@ChadSims2 All of those things sound amazing and I always wanted dinosaurs. Giant invading insects would be great fun. A southern hospitality trait would be awesome! They could open doors for Sims or tip their hats so great.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Daravi wrote: »
    About the southern, I only know these things from it's a southern thing. The powers of a southern mum is incredible and the summer is very evil. This could be a fun addon, with a lot of chaos.

For wackiness, sims get set on fire .^^

I'd rather have them add cars, then add the option to fry eggs on the car hoods.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
    Daravi wrote: »
    About the southern, I only know these things from it's a southern thing. The powers of a southern mum is incredible and the summer is very evil. This could be a fun addon, with a lot of chaos.

For wackiness, sims get set on fire .^^

I'd rather have them add cars, then add the option to fry eggs on the car hoods.

@SimsILikeSims :joy: Thanks for making me laugh. Sometimes you don't know what you want in the game so bad until someone mentions it. Now I want my Sims to fry eggs on metal things on those searing hot summer days.
  • Sati101Sati101 Posts: 43 Member
    A big beautiful southern town with big lots would be fantastic
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    Thinking some more about potlucks, and food, my top wish-list for southern food would be: fried chicken, hashbrown casserole, fried okra, chess pie (or better yet, chess squares), shrimp & grits, barbecue (with variations for pulled pork and brisket), cornbread, creamed corn or corn pudding, and fried green tomatoes. Banana pudding is not my favorite IRL, but it's pretty classic. Also, if you don't have a burger topped with pimiento cheese, what are you even doing? I'd like to see a "quick meal" plate for just pimiento cheese and crackers as well.

For drinks, I would add mint juleps, and also milk punch (an eggnog alternative that's basically milk + bourbon + sugar). We already have iced tea and lemonade on the drink tray, but I would not be averse to those being moved from that pack to base game. Alternatively, they could add fruit tea punch.

We have red velvet cupcakes on the cupcake machine, but those could either be added to BG or a whole red velvet cake could be added.

Finally, we have to have peach trees. Absolutely have to. We need to be able to make peach pies, peach cobbler, etc. There are some other harvestables I'd still like to see added to the game, but peach trees are the most glaring omission for me at this point. And of course, it would definitely need to be added as a canning option.

ETA: I would also totally buy a kit that was nothing but this menu. I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen any kits that are either all food, all harvestables, or a combination thereof.

My Grandma who lived in the south (United States ) would make the best beans and cornbread, and her peach cobbler and blackberry cobbler were delicious!
  • Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,421 Member

ChadSims2 wrote: »
    ...an endless supply of dinosaur sized insects maybe not that big but close.

:D:D Ain't that the truth...

• MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    I can address Southern culture, too; I was born in Maryland and attended university in Virginia. My sister and her family now live in Atlanta, so I've spent quite a bit of time there.

For me, BBQ is the quintessential Southern meal. I won't touch on the differences between Memphis, Carolina, Texas, and Kansas City BBQ, unless someone truly wants to read about it. I know Kansas City isn't in the South, but they have a dog in the BBQ race, too. Some people eat cole slaw on their BBQ sandwiches, but I prefer mine without...and light on the sauce so the flavor of the meat comes through. @Amapola76 's variations--pulled pork and brisket--are great ideas, along with ribs.

Fried chicken, with potato salad or macaroni salad, is another classic meal. So is chicken and waffles--either fried chicken with waffles and syrup (deep Southern-style) or pulled chicken with waffles and gravy (Pennsylvania Dutch-style).

Shrimp and grits, gumbo, and black-eyed peas would fit perfectly on a plate in Willow Creek.

Cobblers and pies are absolute must-haves for dessert.

I could go on and on and on...and while we're at it, we can discuss other regional food traditions, too!
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2022
    @MoonlightGraham We already have Gumbo. It came with Outdoor Retreat. Fruit Cobbler came with that pack too, I believe.
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    @EmmaVane You're right! I have Outdoor Retreat, and I was wondering how I could have missed Gumbo and Fruit Cobbler. Then I discovered a Sim has to reach Cooking Level 7 to make Fruit Cobbler, and Level 8 to unlock Gumbo. I've never stuck with a Sim long enough to acquire that much culinary skill.

Now I have new incentives to help my Sims learn to cook. Thanks for pointing that out! :)
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!