Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Black History Month

Comments

• ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    logion wrote: »

Swede here, I don't think we have gotten represented in the game at all, apart from influences from Windenburg and maybe the Bjergsens...who I think are supposed to be Norwegian?

But I don't mind that at all... I never expected Maxis to represent Swedish culture. Sure it would be fun if they would add meatballs with mashed potatoes or something but wanting it because other cultures are getting represented...I have never understood that mentality?

They are a business after all, they can't just give us free stuff all the time?

@logion You got an Ikea stuff pack in Sims 2 :wink: I never got a Canadian stuff pack and we are their neighbor. They don't care about their northern neighbour. They only gave us one Canadian Bacon Pizza. Where's my maple syrup, poutine, ketchup chips, nanaimo bars, saskatoon berry pie, butter tarts, bannock, peameal bacon, beavertails, split pea soup, tourtiere, caesar cocktail, ice wine and TimBits??? Maybe one day the American developers will realize Canada has some food too :blush:
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    EliteGirl wrote: »
    No offense but I don't know why this thread isn't being noticed by a lot of "The Sims 4" fans. This is a big issue going on, diversity for Africans and African Americans needs to be represented in the game.

sure is frustrating. This is why I say they do not do representation well. No offense to complex sims but black history month being summed up to a durag and a bonnet is a problem for me. Where is the food, culture, representation??

My best guess is that they did not have enough resources to do that, so they had to decide what to focus on.

They have added new hairstyles that suit african and african american sims but that has kinda been added over the year, not during this month specifically.

I know that's not the same as recognizing black history month, but I think that they often do not get enough resources or time to do what they want.

they had the resources to add in Brazilian food during black history month. That could have waited until Hispanic heritage month. So not buying it. The hairs added were from other packs...nothing new.
    Elliandre wrote: »
    I would love all those foods added to my game, they sound delicious. Canadian African food is a lot of carribean and west african dishes like jerk chicken, oxtail stews, Jamaican patties, jollof rice, egusi, couscous, those are my favourites, oh no, now I am hungry!! There is so much African food from America and around the world they could add this month.

Exactly
    StuffyMarx wrote: »
    I am not sure what you are trying to say here. No sarcasm, I am really unclear.

There is no shortage of dishes that the developers could use for inspiration. A ten-second search uncovered a treasure trove of examples. My reply was in reference to SERVERFRA's question (second in the thread).

Gotcha and yes you are right.
    I think that there should be shirts (long sleeved and short sleeved) for all genders that say “Black Lives Matter” that Sims can wear, and flags in the game that have African flag colors that you could put on the walls inside or outside your Sims house. I do agree there needs to be a Black History month game pack for “The Sims 4”.

Please, please no. These kind of political statements should stay OUT of this game.
    It’s the least Maxis could do for African and African American people.

Seriously though, for the past year or 2 (or 3?) Maxis has been collaborating with black content creators, and the team is constantly patching in textured hair styles. Sure, some were transferred from paid packs to base game, but others are new. Isn’t getting these kind of items saying “black lives matter” without literally saying it? Isn’t getting a steady enough stream of black community inspired content more important than being offered a bowl of grits just for this month?
    Having said that, I would love an entire EP inspired by the African Savannah Biome. In sims 3 one of my favorite custom worlds is Ziwa Bonde, and I’m still hoping for something similar to that world in Sims 4. Meanwhile there’s also other stuff the Sim’s team is working on.
    Such as occults, I friggin’ hope. 😇
    I am not seeing a steady stream of content. Not on the level of other representations anyway. What is this steady stream of content anyway? Complex sims was the only one who did something that could be considered "cultural" Transfers from paid packs is not additional content. What is new that was free?

I don't need a black lives matter but I would have like to see something more in comparison to what others got for their month. Oh and we have more food than just a bowl of grits and the way you said it sounds sort of dismissive and rude.
    edited February 2022
    PreCiious wrote: »
    I find it very unbalanced.

The indians got their kit and got their diwali update and got their city living.

Latin Americans got their hispanic heritage month update and their kit and their food and their coquito adn they will get a brasilian artwork.

Chinese got their lunar new year update and east asian food. Japanese got a whole pack. Korean fashion is here.

Of course they cant focus on everything and every country or continent, but black african is barely anywhere to be seen.

Cant count the skin tone controversy.

Sims 3 did a better job with represantation with the store is all i am saying.

I have yet to see an update or kit that adds black african culture, that goes beyond hairstyles. Even the wedding pack has Chinese and Indian traditions or clothes. Yes the complexSims update was nice but downgraded to just a durag and a bonnet.

But why does it have to be “they got all this and we only got teeny weeny, IT’S NOT FAIR!”
    Can’t we be happy with content inspired by a variety of cultures, not just our own? Isn’t it wonderful that we get to learn a little about other cultures through these small updates or kits or packs as well?
    I mean I didn’t even get one single Irish thing on St. Patrick’s day. Ha! I don’t even get an entire month of celebrations. Not fair. Where’s me Leprechauns, me Crock ‘o Gold and me guns? 🤣

“Sorry children, there’s a shortage of smarties right now, we’ll try and please all but we’re still waiting for the smarties truck to arrive. Don’t worry. Go play with your toys now. No running in the corridors. Thank you.”

On a serious note, There are so many cultures not yet “represented”.
    Where’s the Polish content, the Russian Content, the Greek content, the Finnish content, the Australian content, the Scottish content, the Dutch content, the Native American content, the Haitian content, the Jamaican content, the Aotearoan content, etc. etc. etc. etc.
    I sincerely apologize for forgetting someone’s culture. You’re in my thoughts. ❤️

Oh and hey let’s not forget about the werebeasts and fairies, two very important but completely overlooked occults cultures.
    And male sims. Let’s not even go there at all at all.

Ahhhh Anyway it is EA who claims to be all inclusive and representatives of everyone. All people are asking is to do what they said they would do. They are the ones who opened Pandora's box so it is up to them to do it RIGHT or not at all.

Your tone deaf response is why there are so many black people who feel the need to keep reminding people we do matter. As soon as we try to stick up for ourselves this is the response we get as if we are whining. Like we are to accept whatever is given. NO we are not going to just accept it. If we accepted what we were given all the time we would still be working in a cotton field or riding in the back of the bus.

Annnnnnnd about the black lives matter teeshirts and the political statements. I just LOVE how we cant have something like that because it is making a political statement but EA can MAKE A political statement about not release Wedding Stories in Russia. Please the hypocrisy is strong in here...LOL
    PreCiious wrote: »
    I find it very unbalanced.

The indians got their kit and got their diwali update and got their city living.

Latin Americans got their hispanic heritage month update and their kit and their food and their coquito adn they will get a brasilian artwork.

Chinese got their lunar new year update and east asian food. Japanese got a whole pack. Korean fashion is here.

Of course they cant focus on everything and every country or continent, but black african is barely anywhere to be seen.

Cant count the skin tone controversy.

Sims 3 did a better job with represantation with the store is all i am saying.

I have yet to see an update or kit that adds black african culture, that goes beyond hairstyles. Even the wedding pack has Chinese and Indian traditions or clothes. Yes the complexSims update was nice but downgraded to just a durag and a bonnet.

But why does it have to be “they got all this and we only got teeny weeny, IT’S NOT FAIR!”
    Can’t we be happy with content inspired by a variety of cultures, not just our own? Isn’t it wonderful that we get to learn a little about other cultures through these small updates or kits or packs as well?
    I mean I didn’t even get one single Irish thing on St. Patrick’s day. Ha! I don’t even get an entire month of celebrations. Not fair. Where’s me Leprechauns, me Crock ‘o Gold and me guns? 🤣

“Sorry children, there’s a shortage of smarties right now, we’ll try and please all but we’re still waiting for the smarties truck to arrive. Don’t worry. Go play with your toys now. No running in the corridors. Thank you.”

On a serious note, There are so many cultures not yet “represented”.
    Where’s the Polish content, the Russian Content, the Greek content, the Finnish content, the Australian content, the Scottish content, the Dutch content, the Native American content, the Haitian content, the Jamaican content, the Aotearoan content, etc. etc. etc. etc.
    I sincerely apologize for forgetting someone’s culture. You’re in my thoughts. ❤️

Oh and hey let’s not forget about the werebeasts and fairies, two very important but completely overlooked occults cultures.
    And male sims. Let’s not even go there at all at all.

Swede here, I don't think we have gotten represented in the game at all, apart from influences from Windenburg and maybe the Bjergsens...who I think are supposed to be Norwegian?

But I don't mind that at all... I never expected Maxis to represent Swedish culture. Sure it would be fun if they would add meatballs with mashed potatoes or something but wanting it because other cultures are getting represented...I have never understood that mentality?

They are a business after all, they can't just give us free stuff all the time?

I am not asking for free all the time. But when you give us 6 hispanic dishes during hispanic heritage month, then at christmas another dish with coquito and then a few more during this patch, one has to question.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,459 Member
    edited February 2022
    I think that there should be shirts (long sleeved and short sleeved) for all genders that say “Black Lives Matter” that Sims can wear, and flags in the game that have African flag colors that you could put on the walls inside or outside your Sims house. I do agree there needs to be a Black History month game pack for “The Sims 4”.

Please, please no. These kind of political statements should stay OUT of this game.

Seriously though, for the past year or 2 (or 3?) Maxis has been collaborating with black content creators, and the team is constantly patching in textured hair styles. Sure, some were transferred from paid packs to base game, but others are new. Isn’t getting these kind of items saying “black lives matter” without literally saying it? Isn’t getting a steady enough stream of black community inspired content more important than being offered a bowl of grits just for this month?
    Having said that, I would love an entire EP inspired by the African Savannah Biome. In sims 3 one of my favorite custom worlds is Ziwa Bonde, and I’m still hoping for something similar to that world in Sims 4. Meanwhile there’s also other stuff the Sim’s team is working on.
    I am not seeing a steady stream of content. Not on the level of other representations anyway. What is this steady stream of content anyway? Complex sims was the only one who did something that could be considered "cultural" Transfers from paid packs is not additional content. What is new that was free?

I don't need a black lives matter but I would have like to see something more in comparison to what others got for their month. Oh and we have more food than just a bowl of grits and the way you said it sounds sort of dismissive and rude.

I don’t feel black simmers have been ignored is all I’m trying to say. With a steady flow of content I do mean hair styles, including old and new additions, but also collaborations and consultation with the black community. Don’t get me wrong, I believe there is still a huge lack of textured hairstyles and personally I’d prefer it if they focused on creating more of those instead of dishes, if it HAS to be either/ or. I’m not into pixel dishes that much, so it’s a personal choice, although I get why folks want them.

Back in 2018 we did get Caribbean inspired CAS. The Caribbean is a region with many cultural connections to Africa.
    F47-F87-B2-C0-FE-4-B4-D-82-AD-B252-B3-FFBDFD.png

4048-AC8-C-7288-4-FED-B989-030-BEAA2-D1-A9.jpg

Someone else mentioned the Moroccan inspired kit. A Northern African country is an African country. Moroccans range from light skinned to dark skinned. There are so many African countries with many different cultures. Which country or countries would you like to see represented specifically?
    Or are you mostly talking about African American content? The food you mentioned, such as Shrimp and Grits and Fried Chicken with mac and cheese etc., are they African American specific or are they from a particular region in the United States? Were they invented by the black community? I’m not trying to be smart, I’m asking because I’m familiar with some of the dishes but not with the culture. I live in Northern Europe.

I also love the addition of the durag, bonnet and the robe and I’ve already been using them on several of my sims. Again, any of this kind of content no matter how big or small is welcome in my game. I don’t really care what color the person is who made it, as long as they’re skilled and the quality of their content is on par with the rest of the game aesthetics.

I’m always down for getting more cultural inspired items and dishes and worlds in the game, it’s wonderful, but I have zero interest in “it’s unfair that their culture got more representation than our culture” kind of statements, whether or not it’s a celebrated month.
    We can only hope that most of us get what we wish for in this life simulator.

edited February 2022

I don’t feel black simmers have been ignored is all I’m trying to say. With a steady flow of content I do mean hair styles, including old and new additions, but also collaborations and consultation with the black community. Don’t get me wrong, I believe there is still a huge lack of textured hairstyles and personally I’d prefer it if they focused on creating more of those instead of dishes, if it HAS to be either/ or. I’m not into pixel dishes that much, so it’s a personal choice, although I get why folks want them.

Back in 2018 we did get Caribbean inspired CAS. The Caribbean is a region with many cultural connections to Africa.
    F47-F87-B2-C0-FE-4-B4-D-82-AD-B252-B3-FFBDFD.png

4048-AC8-C-7288-4-FED-B989-030-BEAA2-D1-A9.jpg

Someone else mentioned the Moroccan inspired kit. A Northern African country is an African country. Moroccans range from light skinned to dark skinned. There are so many African countries with many different cultures. Which country or countries would you like to see represented specifically?
    Or are you mostly talking about African American content? The food you mentioned, such as Shrimp and Grits and Fried Chicken with mac and cheese etc., are they African American specific or are they from a particular region in the United States? Were they invented by the black community? I’m not trying to be smart, I’m asking because I’m familiar with some of the dishes but not with the culture. I live in Northern Europe.

I also love the addition of the durag, bonnet and the robe and I’ve already been using them on several of my sims. Again, any of this kind of content no matter how big or small is welcome in my game. I don’t really care what color the person is who made it, as long as they’re skilled and the quality of their content is on par with the rest of the game aesthetics.

I’m always down for getting more cultural inspired items and dishes and worlds in the game, it’s wonderful, but I have zero interest in “it’s unfair that their culture got more representation than our culture” kind of statements, whether or not it’s a celebrated month.
    We can only hope that most of us get what we wish for in this life simulator.

I am going to speak for myself here. If you asked an African are they African American they would say NO. They are from whatever country they are from in Africa. While my ancestors are African, I am an American and we have our own culture. So to lump what I am asking for into some Moroccan kit and then continue to reinforce your point by bringing skin color in it just let's me know you clearly don't get it.

There is a HISTORY in America with Black People. Unfairness is what we have had to deal with since being snatched from wherever we were and enslaved. The disparity still continues today with police brutality, red lining, finances etc. So if I want to let EA know, I feel they need to do more for the African American people, get your knee off my back and let me breathe so I can do so.

• logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited February 2022
    I think it's for the best to let it go @CAPTAIN_NXR7 , let people who want to fight for representation fight with each other. I am not interested in taking a part of it anymore.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,459 Member
    I think it's for the best to let it go @CAPTAIN_NXR7 , let people who want to fight for representation fight with each other. I am not interested in taking a part of it anymore.

A wise decision.
    I was trying to have a conversation, I did not come here to start a war…but I can see where this is going.
    It is time for me to back off.

*slowly backs off…*

Have a good day folks. 😁

A wise decision.
    I was trying to have a conversation, I did not come here to start a war…but I can see where this is going.
    It is time for me to back off.

*slowly backs off…*

Have a good day folks. 😁

Riiiiiiight a conversation implying that people are whining or that my gripes were not important enough.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,185 Member
    I think that there should be shirts (long sleeved and short sleeved) for all genders that say “Black Lives Matter” that Sims can wear, and flags in the game that have African flag colors that you could put on the walls inside or outside your Sims house. I do agree there needs to be a Black History month game pack for “The Sims 4”. It’s the least Maxis could do for African and African American people.

Thoes shirts would be consider political and not all black people support the organization . I would like some soul food being added to game,but I also feel like we are represented in the game.
    Also a lot of soul foods can also be consider southern food.
  • JALJAL Posts: 1,034 Member
    edited February 2022
    Riiiiiiight a conversation implying that people are whining or that my gripes were not important enough.

Ok I will risk responding to this. Let me start with saying that I do agree with you about the need for more African American content, as well as proper African content from a variety of African countries/cultures. Whether it is this month or another month is for me less relevant as long as the content arrives.

Where I think you lose people is when you start complaining about other cultural content that has been added. You have specifically mentioned that it rubs you the wrong way that they have added South American and Asian food. That is what makes people feel that you are "whining" to use your word. It makes you seem envious and worse, that you do not want other cultures - other than your own - to have representation in game. I assume this is not what you actually want to say, but that you are talking out of frustration of what you feel is lacking, as well as the timing.

The reason we get South American food right now, is undoubtedly due to the Carnival Kit, and that because Mardi Gras is coming up. More Asian food is connected to the Lunar New Year - and to the additions of the Korean clothes we have gotten lately. Personally I think both additions are welcome to my game - but that does not mean I don't also want more African and African American content. For me it's never a question of either or - but both.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
    I think that there should be shirts (long sleeved and short sleeved) for all genders that say “Black Lives Matter” that Sims can wear, and flags in the game that have African flag colors that you could put on the walls inside or outside your Sims house. I do agree there needs to be a Black History month game pack for “The Sims 4”. It’s the least Maxis could do for African and African American people.

Thoes shirts would be consider political and not all black people support the organization . I would like some soul food being added to game,but I also feel like we are represented in the game.

smh
    Of course we are being represented but there are some groups who seem to getting more. I am asking for fairness across the board. There is literally every kind of food in the game but no soul food, right even according to your statement. So the question is why during Black history month are we getting more Hispanic food and we just got a ton during Hispanic heritage month, Christmas and now. This could have been a perfect time for it.

Maybe not all black people support the organization but not all black people where a bonnet or durag either yet it is still part of OUR culture. Don't you think it is hypocritical to say black people cannot make a political statement when EA just MADE a political statement by NOT releasing Wedding Stories in Russia because of the LGBTQ+ community. But I guess that is ok.
    JAL wrote: »

Ok I will risk responding to this. Let me start with saying that I do agree with you about the need for more African American content, as well as proper African content from a variety of African countries/cultures. Whether it is this month or another month is for me less relevant as long as the content arrives.

Where I think you lose people is when you start complaining about other cultural content that has been added. You have specifically mentioned that it rubs you the wrong way that they have added South American and Asian food. That is what makes people feel that you are "whining" to use your word. It makes you seem envious and worse, that you do not want other cultures - other than your own - to have representation in game. I assume this is not what you actually want to say, but that you are talking out of frustration of what you feel is lacking, as well as the timing.

The reason we get South American food right now, is undoubtedly due to the Carnival Kit, and that because Mardi Gras is coming up. More Asian food is connected to the Lunar New Year - and to the additions of the Korean clothes we have gotten lately. Personally I think both additions are welcome to my game - but that does not mean I don't also want more African and African American content. For me it's never a question of either or - but both.

As a matter of fact, I am a foodie and I love all food from all cultures. I was patiently waiting for possibly some soul food being added during black history month or whenever. I used the example of the food being added to prove my point to show the disparity. While I may be rubbing people the wrong way, it rubs me the wrong way when black people ask for something and it is viewed in such a way. Even the skin tones had controversy around it.

I mean it is Black history month and we got 3 items from Complexsims, some shout outs to black creators and a Brazillian Carnival Party...ok EA can do more. Maybe next February they will try to do better that is what the thread is about.

smh
    Of course we are being represented but there are some groups who seem to getting more. I am asking for fairness across the board. There is literally every kind of food in the game but no soul food, right even according to your statement. So the question is why during Black history month are we getting more Hispanic food and we just got a ton during Hispanic heritage month, Christmas and now. This could have been a perfect time for it.

Maybe not all black people support the organization but not all black people where a bonnet or durag either yet it is still part of OUR culture. Don't you think it is hypocritical to say black people cannot make a political statement when EA just MADE a political statement by NOT releasing Wedding Stories in Russia because of the LGBTQ+ community. But I guess that is ok.

Because that was on schedule.Who knows maybe we will get southern food in the game? The organization is not part of our culture.I did not agree with Ea did with the wedding pack either.

smh

Because that was on schedule.Who knows maybe we will get southern food in the game? The organization is not part of our culture.I did not agree with Ea did with the wedding pack either.

Yeah I figured but I would like them to be aware for next year. Maybe we will get something later. Who knows? The Organization may not be but there is one thing Black people can agree on and that is at some point in our lives we have all experienced racism or some type of disparity and that is part of our culture. If you haven't, where do you live so I can move there.
  • PhobostimePhobostime Posts: 38 Member
    I for one would love to see more African content in the game. Africa is currently the only continent that doesn't have a game world based on it (with the exception of Antarctica).
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited February 2022
    @keekee53
    Of course we are being represented but there are some groups who seem to getting more. I am asking for fairness across the board. There is literally every kind of food in the game

Thats a reach. You can't possibly say EVERY kind of food is in the game.
    I also think EA shouldnt be making political statements across the board. No one is saying theyre particularly against BLM, ive only read they dont (And I dont) want to see political statements. I do think its hypocrisy within the Sims Teams actions, however.

I also dont think anyone is saying they shouldnt add soul food or other aspects of black culture. We're only saying you dont need compare other peoples' updates because it leads to infighting. Ithink its fine to keep asking for more parts of black culture shown.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited February 2022
    Hispanic Heritage month we got a grill and like 5 more dishes and I am not even going to talk about the food that has been added Christmas and this recent patch sheesh. We get a durag, a robe and a bonnet?? That is all??? Doesn't feel fair EA, just saying.

There was a full Caribbean update a few years ago inspired by black-Caribbean culture which actually added more stuff than the Hispanic update.. They don't do big updates for every ethnic group every year

https://simscommunity.info/2018/08/16/the-sims-4-caribbean-content-overview-august-2018-update/
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited February 2022
    Onverser wrote: »
    Hispanic Heritage month we got a grill and like 5 more dishes and I am not even going to talk about the food that has been added Christmas and this recent patch sheesh. We get a durag, a robe and a bonnet?? That is all??? Doesn't feel fair EA, just saying.

There was a full Caribbean update a few years ago inspired by black-Caribbean culture which actually added more stuff than the Hispanic update

https://simscommunity.info/2018/08/16/the-sims-4-caribbean-content-overview-august-2018-update/

I think OP is saying more African-American (US) culture, not necessarily just culture/food from any part of african dispora. Although there are many Caribbeans in America I wouldnt consider this a part of my culture.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    edited February 2022
    JAL wrote: »

I mean about the political statements... They already went down the rabbithole. Don't we already have a rainbow shirt that says ''it gets better''.

I do like representations of many cultures, but when we get the same old stuff it gets boring. For example...

Japanese stuff that got covered with city living through the food, through the fashion district, festival and karaoke bar. And now with Snowy Escape you are giving me the same again? That doesnt mean i am envious of Japanese. City Living had variety and it was great.

Pop Culture got in the way, whats trendy got in the way. We do have the olympics in China after all and Russia is currently all bad, so there is that.

And since this is ''the black history month'' Thread i did gave my two cents that this is also a culture like many that is also lacking.
    But it doesnt mean i hate the stuff, its just wierd how a 8year old game, where representation is the first thing has no variety...
    It should have more then the sims 3 store by now.

I know Aurora Skies for an example is more of an icelandic coastel town but you know... Step your game up EA. A meditterian world for example with chinese food aint doing it for me.

With peace and love
    Happy Simming-
    Post edited by PreCiious on
  • MarmaladeJadeMarmaladeJade Posts: 108 Member
    Or are you mostly talking about African American content? The food you mentioned, such as Shrimp and Grits and Fried Chicken with mac and cheese etc., are they African American specific or are they from a particular region in the United States? Were they invented by the black community? I’m not trying to be smart, I’m asking because I’m familiar with some of the dishes but not with the culture. I live in Northern Europe...

I'm going to keep this as general as I can. Fried chicken is not exclusive to us but Shrimp and Grits is one of many slave foods (more specifically Southern) that have become popular over the years. Mac & Cheese is not slave food but it is more tied to regional style in the US. I grew up with Southern style Mac & Cheese (I hate Mac & Cheese), which is usually baked and made with elbow macaroni, cheese, evaporated milk, eggs, and seasoning. While it is in the game, that Mac & Cheese is stove top.