Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Letter From The Sims Team

Comments

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    My heart goes out to the poor Russian simmers who are deprived of getting the Wedding Pack.
    I remember when Canada put the Red Tape against any Sims 4 Game Packs & Stuff Packs for four years from 2014 to 2018.
    It so ticked me off & I still don't understand why they were banned then.
    I extremely dislike prejudice & red tapes.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,179 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    My heart goes out to the poor Russian simmers who are deprived of getting the Wedding Pack.
    I remember when Canada put the Red Tape against any Sims 4 Game Packs & Stuff Packs for four years from 2014 to 2018.
    It so ticked me off & I still don't understand why they were banned then.
    I extremely dislike prejudice & red tapes.

Where were they banned in Canada? I am West Coast and purchased. The only axe I had to grind was the cost.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    Here in Alberta, my daughter & I were only able to get the Sims 4 Expansion Packs only until September 2018.
    Now, we make sure we get all packs. We also, like most of the Kits except the Bust the Dust.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited February 2022
    GemSixx wrote: »
    Why does it alwaysseem like there is a huge controversy whenever EA releases or promotes something? Not just regular game talk but always a huge arguement or divide?

I think it's by design. Controversy = publicity = more sales

Yeah but its turning the community really bad and divisive. I think its by design too. Its really sad, all the controversies.Like with the SE expansion, EA feels like it was being inclusive to some Korean simmers meanwhile some Japanese simmers were feeling excluded and disrespected. The incident with the Chinese New Year / Lunar New Year debate. I really wish theyd just focus on the gameplay.

This franchise needs a change in it's direction.

If I were Maxis, I would hold meetings and discuss, probably with some people who knows about marketing and communities how they can turn this around. Preferably people who have worked with different communities and markets. Because this is not working.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,179 Member
    Here in Alberta, my daughter & I were only able to get the Sims 4 Expansion Packs only until September 2018.
    Now, we make sure we get all packs. We also, like most of the Kits except the Bust the Dust.

Wow thats crazy I never heard about that. I know we had an issue over the costs but that seems to be rectified. Still a bit budget busting but it gives me a Happy Place. LOL
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 322 Member
    This sucks for the simmers caught in the crossfire, but it's easy to forget that EA is made up of people, many of whom are part of the LGBT community. If they see being forced to change the marketing in order to sell to a segment of their consumer base as compromising their own values, why should they have to make that choice? If my employer told me I had to do something that I believed compromised my integrity in order to sell a product, they would no longer be my employer. Particularly if it meant erasing something that was part of my own identity.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I see a lot of game changers crying out and doing a complete 360 after getting a bit of backlash. Coming out in support of censoring the lesbian sims.

I know 2 things for certain.

1: if they HAD censored them, people would be just as upset.

2: The game changers will still take their free copy and in one week they'll go ooh and ahh and cry over a new chair.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited February 2022
    The only valid opinions here are those of the LGBT community. The ones who have to face this kind of discrimination every day.

If you are not in the LGBT community, it is your job to listen, not speak over us.

no one is speaking over you except for the person who posted before you because there above your post
    some people disagree with you but thats not the same thing. I would want the pack not the cover.
    if it meant I could not play otherwise. thats how I feel there are likely some people in Russia that feel the some as you but I doubt many simmers
    lgbtq or otherwise feel good about this and I bet you wouldn't feel good ether if you couldn't play with the new pack. @Zeldaboy180
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    The wording of their letter is really vague. What did they put in the game pack that would need to be censored? Same sex couples can get married and woohoo. People say it's because of the cover but unless I missed something they never state that as the reason. They talk about needing to censor the couple's story. Again, what did you put in that it has to be censored? It would be one thing if they put out the game and Russian said no. But they state that they made the decision not to do it. So they are either putting the blame on themselves to take the backlash from Russia. Because they can't risk bad mouthing your customers in a specific region. And so they buy future content and stay in good graces with the government. Or the actually believed this was a good idea and they just handled it poorly. I mean if the intent was to be vague they did a darn good job because I have no idea what's going on. And I am left feeling suspicious with how this thing played out. This was the straw that broke the camel's back? Really?
  • Phantasi33Phantasi33 Posts: 181 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    Another thing is I have genuine fear for the livestream tomorrow cause it's gonna be a mess in the chat. I think they should have announced this after the livestream but idk

I mean the chat is always a mess but I feel it's gonna be worse than usual.

I agree. There's no telling what's going to happen in the livestream tomorrow. I don't expect the devs to address the backlash of not releasing the pack in Russia, as that's not the appropriate platform for it, but they can't deny or ignore the huge elephant in the room either. 😬
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,402 Member
    Ok, let me get this right.

The Sims 4 is rated 18+ in Russia, which means that technically the pack could be released. Nothing going against federal law here.
    Except - BINGO - the cover art, because it’s visible for all to see.
    Yet the trailer wasn’t blocked??

I’m going to say it: So much for Pride.
    I can understand where EA is coming from, but sometimes pride doesn’t get ye anywhere. Well… in this case it resulted in an entire country being excluded. Very sad. Very sad indeed.

EA trying so hard to be judged by its COVER:

“Heya look at us! We’re goody good shoes! We make a change in the world for our players! It says so on the cover!”

Sure that’s great, but haven’t we learned? It’s the CONTENT that matters. The cover is cute n all, but it doesn’t mean 💩.

I agree that EA's decision is bitter for Russian Simmers.

BUT

How will the political situation in the country ever get better if everyone always bows to these "laws" and makes arrangements with the regime and its censorship? EA's decision is also a wake-up call for straight videogamers that they may end up excluded from democratic culture and civilization if they don't finally stand up for their fellow lgbt citizens' rights. And this is not only a signal to Russia but also to EU countries like Poland and Hungary.

Imagine a country would forbid black people on a game cover, should EA still give in?
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    I can't believe this still happens in 2022. I feel really bad for Russian simmers, I hope there will be some way for them to get the pack.
    Shame on you, Russia, for this! :/
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Phantasi33 wrote: »
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    Another thing is I have genuine fear for the livestream tomorrow cause it's gonna be a mess in the chat. I think they should have announced this after the livestream but idk

I mean the chat is always a mess but I feel it's gonna be worse than usual.

I agree. There's no telling what's going to happen in the livestream tomorrow. I don't expect the devs to address the backlash of not releasing the pack in Russia, as that's not the appropriate platform for it, but they can't deny or ignore the huge elephant in the room either. 😬

I hope they don’t get harassed on chat constantly and they give a brief statement (and maybe mention if they will figure out solution?) and to stand firm against any harassment and trolling (or worse, any death threats, etc).

I think they will have to address it somehow, but I hope they can find solutions or some way to help LGBT folks in Russia somehow without really giving into the anti-LGBT folks.

It’s all awful for everyone, though, and I feel bad for the simmers who won’t be able to access this pack. 🙁
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    edited February 2022
    The legal part of all this is really unclear.
    I'm not saying LGBTQ+ people are not discriminated against in Russia, like hell they are and it's awful.
    I'm not saying Russia shouldn't be more open-minded, it absolutely must.
    But as far as laws go there's only one thing that's clearly forbidden - marketing LGBTQ+ content to minors.
    Now as long as you have that 18+ label it's another thing.
    For example, Marvel's Eternals movie has an openly gay Black couple kissing on screen, the movie aired uncit with 18+ rating (PG13 otherwise).
    The Sims 4 game is labeled 18+ here since its release in 2014, so they've never been allowed to market it to minors here from day one and yet we were getting all the LGBTQ+ support the game had to offer without any limitations up till now.
    Nothing changed in tht law or the game rating since 2014.
    It's confusing.
    + Hungary has the exact same law since 2021 and they are getting the pack.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    The only valid opinions here are those of the LGBT community. The ones who have to face this kind of discrimination every day.

If you are not in the LGBT community, it is your job to listen, not speak over us.

no one is speaking over you except for the person who posted before you because there above your post
    some people disagree with you but thats not the same thing. I would want the pack not the cover.
    if it meant I could not play otherwise. thats how I feel there are likely some people in Russia that feel the some as you but I doubt many simmers
    lgbtq or otherwise feel good about this and I bet you wouldn't feel good ether if you couldn't play with the new pack. @Zeldaboy180

My post was in reference to someone who was, the comment is now deleted, so I edited it a bit to avoid further confusion.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,456 Member

The Sims 4 is rated 18+ in Russia, which means that technically the pack could be released. Nothing going against federal law here.

I can understand where EA is coming from, but sometimes pride doesn’t get ye anywhere. Well… in this case it resulted in an entire country being excluded. Very sad. Very sad indeed.

“Heya look at us! We’re goody good shoes! We make a change in the world for our players! It says so on the cover!”

Sure that’s great, but haven’t we learned? It’s the CONTENT that matters. The cover is cute n all, but it doesn’t mean 💩.

BUT

How will the political situation in the country ever get better if everyone always bows to these "laws" and makes arrangements with the regime and its censorship? EA's decision is also a wake-up call for straight videogamers that they may end up excluded from democratic culture and civilization if they don't finally stand up for their fellow lgbt citizens' rights. And this is not only a signal to Russia but also to EU countries like Poland and Hungary.

Imagine a country would forbid black people on a game cover, should EA still give in?

You make a valid point.
    I’m much against the idea of censorship, but in this case I don’t feel it’s like bowing down to anyone because the content is already there. It already exists. People have been able to play with gay partnerships/ marriages since the 2nd or 3rd Sims installment. Taking this content out of the game mechanics altogether just because someone has bad feelings towards it would be a step backwards, absolutely. Not a fan of the NerfSquad.

In this particular instance EA wants to make a statement with a cover to show their support for the LGTB+ community, however, I feel that it is only to give themselves a lovely pat on the back and has little to do with the players. They would’ve known which country has a problem with this very specific advertisement. Truth is, they’re constantly showing support for the LGTB+ community, in every way they communicate, but obviously now it matters the most to them because this pack focuses around weddings.
    Meanwhile the reveal trailer is still out there for the entire world to see. What’s that about then? Or how does it work?

Sure look, no answer is really right or wrong here, again, I think both points are valid. It remains an extremely tricky situation and it’s yet another conundrum EA found themselves in. But they made the decision they made.
    It is also not EAs job to change a country’s political regime. It is EA’s job to give access to their games to as many players as possible, so that everyone can play out their stories whichever way they want.

My last words of cringe: Everybody’s playing a game here, question is, which game are they playing?
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    The need to change the game pack cover remains only the most popular speculation among simmers, it was never confirmed by EA, nor by any Russian source.
    Nor, as I stated above, it is dictated by any law that could apply to TS4 game content in Russia.
    In fact right this moment, major Russian gaming and news sites publish articles about this decision with the cover art and trailer in them, full, uncensored.
    So it's not like just showing the picture is a bannable offence.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member

Will this pack be available in North Korea?
    Of course not.
    In China?
    No.
    In Iran?
    Heck no!
    :|:#:/
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,141 Member
    edited February 2022
    Meanwhile the reveal trailer is still out there for the entire world to see. What’s that about then? Or how does it work?

Not really, many countries have introduced their own Internet and the trailer on youtube isn't available there without VPN, and the technology is far advanced now that VPN can be detected by them. I don't dare to write more.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,182 Member

If you are not in the LGBT community, it is your

There is no winning.

Um no, everyone has right to have their opinion and view.Its nobodies job just to listen and have no input.As a record I am bisexual.The game is already 18 plus in Russia .
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member

Dust the Bust, I mean... Bust the Dust kit should be banned, heh heh! :p
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited February 2022

BUT

I'm reminded of something that someone once told me at work.

Never, burn bridges.

Sometimes you will work with people in your line at work that you might not like, or with companies that you might not like because of what they do, but it's never, ever a good idea to burn bridges, because you end up ruining relationships you have and will most likely make the situation worse for everyone.

That's why I feel that this franchise needs a change in it's direction. We can't be so emotional over this game.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,182 Member
    logion wrote: »

BUT

I'm reminded of something that someone once told me at work.

Never, burn bridges.

Sometimes you will work with people in your line at work that you might not like, or with companies that you might not like because of what they do, but it's never, ever a good idea to burn bridges, because you end up ruining relationships you have and will most likely make the situation worse for everyone.

That's why I feel that this franchise needs a change in it's direction. We can't be so emotional over this game.

Also this is not like the Russia government is going to care.If this pack release or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top