Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Letter From The Sims Team

Comments

• netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    After reading this message this morning I can understand the reasons why EA have made this decision. My only issue and is one I’m seeing little questioning about is why is this only happening in Russia and not other countries with the same backward laws for the lgbt community? There are many other countries out there with similar and worse laws so why is this decision not effecting them? Why only Russia?
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    pandie00 wrote: »
    I cannot understand this move. They already "fighting" the anti-LGBT views through their games. The fact the game can have the couples you want is the prove of that. They're a video game company and this is the best they can do. If russian is allowing the game (it has to be +18 which already is) I dont know why they are messing with politics. Making this stand its not good for anyone.. specially the russian players. I see no benefit

There is no benefit. It's a lose-lose situation. The reason they made this decision is probably because the developers themselves didn't feel comfortable changing the marketing. Some are a part of the lgbt community themselves so being forced to change the cover art would hurt them too.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,717 Member
    I cannot understand this move. They already "fighting" the anti-LGBT views through their games. The fact the game can have the couples you want is the prove of that. They're a video game company and this is the best they can do. If russian is allowing the game (it has to be +18 which already is) I dont know why they are messing with politics. Making this stand its not good for anyone.. specially the russian players. I see no benefit

Yeah, after reading up on this a bit more I am not so sure about this anymore. Decisions like these (even if they are with good intentions) end up being hurtful towards making this video game available for everyone.

I'm not sure a video game company should do that. I have always believed that a video game company should strive towards making a good game.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

There is no benefit. It's a lose-lose situation. The reason they made this decision is probably because the developers themselves didn't feel comfortable changing the marketing. Some are a part of the lgbt community themselves so being forced to change the cover art would hurt them too.

Its not a lose -lose situation . They could suck it up and release the game .It would suck they would have to make an alternate trailer or art. But is better to have everyone be able to play it . Than no one at Russia at all.The characters do not have be deleted or any alternate cation. Besides we are playing not for their "stories were playing for "our owns".
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    Wow, they just straight up excluded the russian audience. All because they just couldn't make an alternative cover. I think it's cool to see a lesbian couple on a Sims cover, but let's be real. This would never fly with many homophobic countries. They could at least made a different cover. I feel sorry for the russian audience.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    The decision feels a little shortsighted from EA. Just because I don’t know that eventually they won’t have to change some thing to appeal to a certain market. If that market becomes bigger/for a monetary reason.

Personally I’m a little conflicted and confused by the decision. As a member of the LGBTQ+ community, I feel for those in Russia who are also part of the community. From the tweets I have read they feel hurt and left out by this decision.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,829 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Daravi wrote: »
    I do only know one simmer here in the forum from the what's happened in game-thread, where she wrote a lovely story, which I've loved to read and I miss her story. But I haven't seen her in a while. She wrote she wanted to support the lgbt+ in her country that's why she take a break. I hope she is fine, but I'm sure now, she will be very disappointed when she will read the news. :'(

That doesn't resolve the issue that the pack doesn't even have Russian language translation from what I've read though. :(

The pack isn't released yet so idk how anyone would get that sort of info

GameChangers get an asset pack with all available translations.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I do only know one simmer here in the forum from the what's happened in game-thread, where she wrote a lovely story, which I've loved to read and I miss her story. But I haven't seen her in a while. She wrote she wanted to support the lgbt+ in her country that's why she take a break. I hope she is fine, but I'm sure now, she will be very disappointed when she will read the news. :'(

That doesn't resolve the issue that the pack doesn't even have Russian language translation from what I've read though. :(

Oh ok I didn't know that game changers got the pack already
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,829 Member

Oh ok I didn't know that game changers got the pack already

Not the pack. Just promotional material.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    I already said this on another thread that I THINK this is entirely a corporate publicity stunt on EA's part.

They knew that their freedom to tell stories in sims 4 would be severely limited by the controversial anti-LGBT law in Russia back then. When it was announced that sims 4 would be an 18+ rated game, but they didn't say anything at the time (nor did they voice their concerns over storytelling freedom) and went on ahead to release the game because they wanted them bucks.

And then 8 years later here they are complaining how the law is detrimental to their core values of being able to tell stories however they want. But the fact that they gave in to the homophobic law already by releasing the game there (a quiet nod to the anti-LGBT law) already gave away their rights to complain at all. They handed in their own "core values" both hands to the Russian authority already.

Funny how EA said they cared about their LGBT players all around the world but then decided to cut Russian LGBT players out altogether.
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,403 Member
    Speaking of Russia, we can be glad if Europe is not at war within the next weeks. In this case all trade relationships with the country may become difficult anyways.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited February 2022
    I cant say Im surprised. If you ask me, its a pretty stark reminder that there are many countries with laws that actively discriminate against the LGBTQIA+ community. And sad to say, a video game with two married women on the cover isnt going to immediately force a revolutionary change in Russia and make the government acknowledge that a same sex couple is not some abomination. Its all complicated religion and politics.

And truth be told, I do get the sentiment of changing the box art to reflect a straight couple for Russian audiences, but why though? Its more than just seeing 2 women getting married, its a sign of changing times and attitudes and growing acceptance. I mean marriage equality in the entire US wasnt a thing until 2015. And even leading up to it it was very hard to ignore the ever growing community demanding full protections under the law and acceptance in society. And while yes there is still work to be done, Im seeing more and more people openly talk about their choice of pronouns and their gender identity. Times are changing and seeing a married same-sex couple on the cover of a popular video game reflects that. I'd prefer they keep it. But at the same time, no one should have to not have access to a silly video game just because their government wont allow it.

The situation as a whole is just a giant geo-political complicated mess where the only true losers are the Russian players who just want a nice marriage in their games. I just hope that they can acquire the game through..."other" means. What those means may be I wont say.
  • EnchantingdustEnchantingdust Posts: 157 Member
    edited February 2022
    I'm so sorry for all the Russian simmers :'(
    I understand that EA wants to take a stand but I wish they found another way that would avoid punishing Russian simmers.

Does anyone know why it is only happening in Russia though? I guess more countries should be concerned if it was about LGBTQ+ content, isn't it?
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    What bothers me even more is that it's not like this pack brings in any "revolutionary" gameplay upgrades to the game.

Same-sex marriage already exists in the sims 4 and the direct result being the game receiving an 18+ rating back then in 2014. EA didn't complain (if at all!) at the time so what makes them so vocal in 2022?
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited February 2022
    On the surface the letter seems praiseworthy indeed. The sentiments in it certainly are. But all I can think right now is that the cover art and trailer story must have been extremely difficult and/or expensive to produce. Why else would EA choose to preserve their story over making the game (and all of its DLC) available to as many people as possible so that all simmers could create their own stories? :confused:

Edited for clarity.
    Post edited by VeeDub on
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,181 Member
    I don't like this. Vladimir Putin has done his best to make sure there's no other competition for "The Worst Ever Person" award, but the majority of Russians don't feel the same way he does, he might spread propaganda claiming that every Russian hates the gays as much as he does, but they do not. It's not fair to screw over the Russian LGBT Simmers out of the pack that's legitimately marketed towards them (Yes, this new pack is designed for gays and straights, but the marketing is most certainly aimed at the LGBT community.) no matter how many times people on this thread say "Well EA is standing in solidarity with the LGBT community so it's cool."

Honestly, I'm just willing to bet that once this blows over the Wedding Pack will end up being released in Russia. Something tells me this is just something being pulled due to the tensions building with Russia right now, not much we can personally do about watching a madman getting ready to literally get tens of thousands of people killed for nothing, but hey we can tell them they don't get this gamepack for a while. Because after all, just about every pack since like.....what, Cats and Dogs has had at least one LGBT representative, some even getting two, why is this one so different? I don't buy the "We can't release this in Russia because we just love the story of these random Sims that we made specifically for this trailer that no other Simmer will actually use in their game." excuse because that's a load of baloney right there.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    Scrapdash wrote: »
    Out of curiosity I just googled a list of countries where homosexuality is banned, it's a long list which surprised me, but Russia is not one of them. It is only illegal to promote it to minors. The Sims game is rated 18 there so this is a non issue. Completely removing EAs reason to do this.
    It's honestly left such a bad taste in my mouth I'm not buying it next week. As others have asked why pick out only Russia to not sell this pack?

I'm not buying either this is just ridiculous.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited February 2022
    Why does it alwaysseem like there is a huge controversy whenever EA releases or promotes something? Not just regular game talk but always a huge arguement or divide?
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • GemSixxGemSixx Posts: 144 Member
    Why does it alwaysseem like there is a huge controversy whenever EA releases or promotes something? Not just regular game talk but always a huge arguement or divide?

I think it's by design. Controversy = publicity = more sales

Completely done with EA

• LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I support EA’s choice and buying this pack.

(No harassing me or I will report.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top