Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should Having Multiple Spouses Be an Option?

Comments

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited February 2022
    Legal issues :
    the United Nations Human Rights Committee reported that polygamy violates the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, citing concerns that the lack of "equality of treatment with regard to the right to marry" meant that polygamy violates the dignity of women

If it's allowed, Abortion, Teen Pregrancy, Teen Wedding and Teen/Adult Romance should be allowed too ?

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Legal issues :
    the United Nations Human Rights Committee reported that polygamy violates the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, citing concerns that the lack of "equality of treatment with regard to the right to marry" meant that polygamy violates the dignity of women

If it's allowed, Abortion, Teen Pregrancy, Teen Wedding and Teen/Adult Romance should be allowed too ?

Teen pregnancy is a biological fact of life. Just because it's not ideal doesn't mean it's not possible. Also, most people become legally adult when they turn 18, so technically teen sims should be able to get married and have babies. And then there are people who get married at 16 with parental consent or judge approval.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,752 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Legal issues :

Teen pregnancy is a biological fact of life. Just because it's not ideal doesn't mean it's not possible. Also, most people become legally adult when they turn 18, so technically teen sims should be able to get married and have babies. And then there are people who get married at 16 with parental consent or judge approval.

we aren't allowed to talk about the TP words. its aganist the ratings.
    6adMCGP.gif
    logion wrote: »
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Here we go again with the inclusive argument.

Frankly, I don't care anymore. Go ahead and add it and add arranged marriages as well.

The marriages in the game already are arranged in most people's games. "The Watcher" is making the decision, not the Sims.

No, arranged marriages in the game would be something like where another sim could arrange if two sims marry without the player controlling them. Those two sims never say "I do".

But it doesn't matter, my point was that it's a controversial subject, and we keep adding things like this to the sims for the sake of being inclusive.

And I honestly don't care anymore.

Can I just add my two cents here? When I pretend to have arranged marriage in the game, its SOO annoying that I have to cheat the couple's friendship and romantic relationship up to 100% just for one of them to propose, and then having to cheat them back down a bit. I mean couldn't we have an option to propose at a very low level, or 0%? Depending on what I'm pretending?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited February 2022
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I mean couldn't we have an option to propose at a very low level, or 0%? Depending on what I'm pretending?

Honestly, I wish there was a way for a Sim's parents to "promise" one of their offspring to another Sim, effectively making them engaged, even if they have never met. Yes, that is an arranged marriage, and yes, I really do wish the game supported it.

I understand that this sort of thing offends people's sensibilities irl....but it's not real life. It's a game. A game where some people delete doors and watch their Sims die of starvation. I kinda think that doing that irl would be a lot more offensive than arranging a marriage...and no one's asking the Sims team to implement "forcing doors" on all rooms...or disallowing any lot to be built that doesn't include a refrigerator.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    Here we go again with the inclusive argument.

Frankly, I don't care anymore. Go ahead and add it and add arranged marriages as well.

The marriages in the game already are arranged in most people's games. "The Watcher" is making the decision, not the Sims.

No, arranged marriages in the game would be something like where another sim could arrange if two sims marry without the player controlling them. Those two sims never say "I do".

But it doesn't matter, my point was that it's a controversial subject, and we keep adding things like this to the sims for the sake of being inclusive.

And I honestly don't care anymore.

Can I just add my two cents here? When I pretend to have arranged marriage in the game, its SOO annoying that I have to cheat the couple's friendship and romantic relationship up to 100% just for one of them to propose, and then having to cheat them back down a bit. I mean couldn't we have an option to propose at a very low level, or 0%? Depending on what I'm pretending?

If you marry sims in CAS they behave like in an arranged marriage. They won't even share a bed to sleep together at the same time, let alone woohoo. I wish sims could marry whithout having to fall in love. Some people make practical decisions like that because they get along nicely and have a good friendship and like the companionship.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    Whatever. I don't care. It would be an option. And that means it would be optional. Which means only simmers who want that would use that. Such relationship would involve only mature sims which means there would be valid consent. So I genuinelly don't care. It's just a GAME.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
    edited February 2022
    Technically Teens can be married if you turn married adult into teen.

It also works with child and toddler... The Sims 4 accept arranged marriages
    Technically Teens can be married if you turn married adult into teen.

It also works with child and toddler... The Sims 4 accept arranged marriages

not without cheating in-game, for YAs to marry each other they need to be at 100% for romantic and about 90% to propose.
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited February 2022
    @MadameLee

Just CAS :p

Well I don't want to marry my arranged couple in CAS. I want to do it between two born in-game couples and doing it in CAS is "cheating" just like I don't like just like having to do the cheating of having to turn the relationship up to 100% and then back down low just for them to proposal. Like in my SimLit, Elizabeth's first husband (whom she separate from) was arranged marriage to her first husband, Both her brothers also had arranged marriage. Only Elizabeth's arranged marriage failed but that's due to in-story plot of that the ex-husband was not straight. (her second marriage also failed, but that's due to other reasons).

I'm going to ingore this thread from now on, I have excerise to do and a SimLit to film
    6adMCGP.gif
  • SimmerNSSimmerNS Posts: 24 Member
    I'm not sure, it has definitely crossed my mind (secret marriages for drama/story telling) but considering the age rating I don't know. It could potentially create massive backlash in countries where polygamy is forbidden or illegal but I think it should be a manual optional setting to some extent. Risky move :#
    edited February 2022
    Polygamy means sims would be greedy in love.

What happened if the 3rd wife of your sim is the 10th wife of his brother ?
    Everybody would be the spouse of everybody, the marriage would mean nothing.

The marriage is a decorative status in TS4, there is no bonus like the real life (less taxes, new rights, common stuff, social status, ...).
    Just it will unlock the Divorce option.

There is no gain in term of gameplay.
    Polygamy means sims would be greedy in love.

What happened if the 3rd wife of your sim is the 10th wife of his brother ?
    Everybody would be the spouse of everybody, the marriage would means nothing.

The marriage is a decorative status, there is no bonus, the relationship is the same.
    Just it will unlock the Divorce option.

Married couples usually get tax deductions. Its also easier to get a bank loan as a couple than it is as a single person.
    @crocobaura

Not in The Sims 4 I mean.

Well, they can. If both Sims take the frugal trait, the reduction on bills is cumulative.
    Of course, you can get the same benefit by just living together. So your point still stands.
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Personally, I think that more than one spouse makes the point of having a spouse at all pointless. After all, the whole point of marriage is to forsake all others and commit ONLY to one other person.
  • LeccaLecca Posts: 126 Member
    Being polyamorous irl I would love if they implemented this feature in game :blush:
    Lecca wrote: »
    Being polyamorous irl I would love if they implemented this feature in game :blush:

What would be the point of marriage even in the game then?
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Personally wouldn't use it but sure, why not. I'm not sure how it would work though as I would still want non-polyamorous sims to get mad about their partners cheating
    Personally, I think that more than one spouse makes the point of having a spouse at all pointless. After all, the whole point of marriage is to forsake all others and commit ONLY to one other person.

That's not actually the "whole point" of marriage. There's far more to the concept of marriage, historically, then the notion of "commitment"...which ultimately is just about the uh..physical...aspects of the relationship.
    Marriage also carries with it social and economic reasons, the division/sharing of labors, including child rearing, and much, much more. Most of these other aspects are actually enhanced with polygamous relationships.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    It's sad how much poly relationships are not accepted even in the sims community
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • LeccaLecca Posts: 126 Member
    @PenguinFoop Love, commitment, happiness, pleasure? People get married irl and in game for these reasons and more, they also get married for less :blush: I would like to point out that I am not married, as I said I am polyamorous.

That's not actually the "whole point" of marriage. There's far more to the concept of marriage, historically, then the notion of "commitment"...which ultimately is just about the uh..physical...aspects of the relationship.
    Marriage also carries with it social and economic reasons, the division/sharing of labors, including child rearing, and much, much more. Most of these other aspects are actually enhanced with polygamous relationships.

I respectfully disagree with this sentiment. I think personally that a marriage is supposed to be between two people because having more than two can easily turn into a jealous heap of raw dysfunctional chaos.

If you feel that two people aren't enough in a relationship to handle the workload and finances or whatever, move in a friend or get a roommate. But being in a romantic entanglement typically doesn't end well for any of the people involved. That's my opinion on it.
  • Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »

Some folks (the same folks I believe that believed that we would never get hijabs in the game do to a certain symbolism) thought that the option of having more then one spouse could turn the game into M-rated thing. So either they realize how common it still is in some countries, or they notice how popular it is with a certain Mod's extra function? I mean how many spouses are we talking about only 2 or more? Since if it's more then 2, I can see why in real life it would be a problem *cough* thinking of a certain story in the texts *cough* well the main spouse favours one of their extra spouse over one of the other ones?

You mentioned the "hijab" which opened the door to Islamic traditions and Islam as a faith. Without delving into the faith itself, I as a Muslim male have the right to marry up to 4 women at once. But it is best to marry only one to favor 1 over the other 3. That being said, I would welcome the ability to marry more than 1 woman, or have more than one wife just to see if I would favor 1 over the other 3 in the game but never would I have more than 1 wife IRL.