We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
March 1st - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which Household Item Breaks The Most?

The Item that seems to break the most is the bathroom sink. I've sat back and counted the number of times a day my sim uses it alone. It came to 6 times a day total. Twice after relieving the bladder twice a day. Twice after brushing his teeth in the morning and after dinner. And twice when he rinses his mouth after brushing his teeth twice a day. That's 6 times a day. And then it goes "Pop" and it needs repair. I'm sure that if there are relatives living in the home that it breaks more often even when upgraded. Do you know of a item that breaks more? Hmmm!!!

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited February 2022
    I think it all depends on which item gets the most use in your specific household. For me the item that breaks the most in most of my households is the Tea maker, but I also have multiple bathrooms so no one bathroom sink gets all of the use.
    The 2nd most common item to break in one of my households is the 2nd story bath/shower. The first floor bathroom has no bath/shower...so that shower gets heavier useage. But in my other played household it's the stereo in the dining room. That home has 4 bathrooms which get pretty even useage while everyone (4 household members) turns on the dining room stereo every time they eat.

I should mention that I use a mod so that Sims do not auto-wash their hands, so my bathroom sinks get less useage than the game would have by default. I still have them wash their hands whenever they pee UNLESS they are about to jump in the shower/bath. Still, that cuts sink useage by about 1 per day per sim.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    For me, it's the coffee pot followed by the sinks.

But if you live with a goofball... it's definitely the toilet.
  • Darstep0301Darstep0301 Posts: 745 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    I think it all depends on which item gets the most use in your specific household. For me the item that breaks the most in most of my households is the Tea maker, but I also have multiple bathrooms so no one bathroom sink gets all of the use.
    The 2nd most common item to break in one of my households is the 2nd story bath/shower. The first floor bathroom has no bath/shower...so that shower gets heavier useage. But in my other played household it's the stereo in the dining room. That home has 4 bathrooms which get pretty even useage while everyone (4 household members) turns on the dining room stereo every time they eat.

I should mention that I use a mod so that Sims do not auto-wash their hands, so my bathroom sinks get less useage than the game would have by default. I still have them wash their hands whenever they pee UNLESS they are about to jump in the shower/bath. Still, that cuts sink useage by about 1 per day per sim.

Hey Stormkeep. If we can afford 30,000 a week in property taxes, surely we can afford 100 or so simoleons to some poor repair person. lol

What is it? The goofball breaks things faster? And oh yeah, I forgot about the coffee pot. I rarely buy or use them.
    Hey Stormkeep. If we can afford 30,000 a week in property taxes, surely we can afford 100 or so simoleons to some poor repair person. lol

:lol: it's not about cost, it's about convenience. If you "can" fix it, it's just easier and faster to do so. That's the same approach I'd take to most things in real life. If I can do something in less time than it would take to make arrangements and pay someone else to do it...I will.
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member

What is it? The goofball breaks things faster? And oh yeah, I forgot about the coffee pot. I rarely buy or use them.

Goofball sims love to prank the toilet. Constantly. So you are always repairing it. It is a very annoying trait imo.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2022

Goofballs autonomously pull pranks. Unless it's Winterfest/a party and there are gifts/tree lights/decoration boxes to prank, then the only prank they pull is sabotaging the toilet. Never sinks or baths. No handshake shocks. Just toilets.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I feel like sinks and toilets are the worst offenders when it comes to breaking. I often will try have my sims upgrade them to not break as much but even with the upgrades they still seem to break a lot.
    EmmaVane wrote: »

Goofballs autonomously pull pranks. Unless it's Winterfest/a party and there are gifts/tree lights/decoration boxes to prank, then the only prank they pull is sabotaging the toilet. Never sinks or baths. No handshake shocks. Just toilets.

So Johnny Zest Want to break my toilet. Hmmm!!! lol
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I feel like sinks and toilets are the worst offenders when it comes to breaking. I often will try have my sims upgrade them to not break as much but even with the upgrades they still seem to break a lot.

Thank you Sharonia. That is why I stared this thread. No matter how much you upgrade a sink or toilet they're gonna break anyway. So I said "Hmmm!!! Lets buy the best reliable sink or toilet and let the plumber fix them."
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,301 Member
    I actually ended up getting a tiny mod that disables autonomous toilet pranking since it ended up that every single toilet on every single lot was pranked. Got really stupid.

But to answer to original question, probably the sink or toilet that seems to break the most.

The fridge breaks quite a bit too though. In a restaurant, I ended up replacing the fridge with the unbreakable one since it was always breaking every time I had sims go there on a date or something, then the NPC waiter would get stuck in an infinite loop of trying to repair it, so the food was never delivered to the table.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 946 Member
    No idea. I agree with sinks, but e.g. wind turbines and dryers are well up the list, too. That's one reason I tend to ask sims to call a repair person. When asking sims to do the repairs, I feel likely to forget at least a sink or a wind turbine.
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    Laundry dryer. Seems to break every couple of uses. And after a few breaks it will show as working but not actually function, so I will have to buy a new one.

I've been slowly removing them from houses I had put them in because I cannot keep them from eventually bugging out.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
    Jyotai wrote: »
    Laundry dryer. Seems to break every couple of uses. And after a few breaks it will show as working but not actually function, so I will have to buy a new one.

I've been slowly removing them from houses I had put them in because I cannot keep them from eventually bugging out.

You don't need to buy a new one when they bug out. Just go into build/buy and move them into household inventory. Close BB, then go back into it and move them back out of household inventory. They will function properly again. They will even still have clothes in them if they bugged out in the middle of a cycle.
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    I try to upgrade sinks ASAP, but I'd have to agree that they seem to break the most often. Then showers. I suppose it's related to how often they get used, so I imagine a really grotty Sim might not have much trouble with broken sinks.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    The toilet is sure to break if my Sim is late getting to bed and has to get up early for work. The computer will break if they're in the middle of writing a paper or doing a work task.

The water-gatherer thing (I can't remember the name) breaks quite often, too.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    The kitchen sink, cos I keep bunging dirty plates in it. The toilet is troublesome, so I like to train Sims to fix and eventually upgrade it to make it less vulnerable. These loos see a lot of action.
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »

My Sims have a goofball friend who comes to their home and pranks the toilet and clogs the shower, but I think the shower clog is because he also has high mischief. It's a dangerous combination. :D
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,367 Member
    edited February 2022
    I never call repair people as the last time I did, they charged my sim and never fixed anything! Every sim I play is lvl 10 in handiness, it's the only way to lower bills, imo. All my casters use the spell repaireo all the time, that and scrubaroo takes all the drudge out of household maintainence. :D

With that being said, the stupid washer and dryer break more often than anything, once in awhile the dishwasher will break, but that's about it. All my sims' appliances are upgraded to the hilt.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    I never call repair people as the last time I did, they charged my sim and never fixed anything! Every sim I play is lvl 10 in handiness, it's the only way to lower bills, imo. All my casters use the spell repaireo all the time, that and scrubaroo takes all the drudge out of household maintainence. :D

With that being said, the stupid washer and dryer break more often than anything, once in awhile the dishwasher will break, but that's about it. All my sims' appliances are upgraded to the hilt.

I bought the Free Services trait. Now my everyday services are free as is all maintenance.
  • BowtrucklerBowtruckler Posts: 16 Member
    My Sim's boyfriend is a Goofball, so my Sim has definitely fixed his toilet more than anything else. But love is love, and you have to accept your other half for all their faults, its all good roleplay.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I reckon you notice the bathroom appliance breaking down more quickly since you are in such need of them. When the coffee maker breaks down or the stereo I can often chose to ignore it, since my Sims dance to much and replaces sleep with coffee.
    Peral wrote: »
    I reckon you notice the bathroom appliance breaking down more quickly since you are in such need of them. When the coffee maker breaks down or the stereo I can often chose to ignore it, since my Sims dance to much and replaces sleep with coffee.

"Replaces sleep with coffee". That's the best explanation I've heard of to own a coffee maker. I like using my bed I guess, so I never buy a coffee maker, not to say I haven't in the past. I noticed that when I used the "hot button" to go to bed, my sim would sometimes choose the coffee maker. Turns out that I wasn't actually going to bed, but I was replenishing energy, and the coffee maker was a means to do that.
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 710 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »

Thank you Sharonia. That is why I stared this thread. No matter how much you upgrade a sink or toilet they're gonna break anyway. So I said "Hmmm!!! Lets buy the best reliable sink or toilet and let the plumber fix them."

Be careful with upgrade. I fully upgraded a toilet and it caught on fire. This has happened more than once in different saves. I don't know what upgrade causes it.