Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old characters vs New characters

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Both
    I'm saying both and I do truly like some of the new characters, but no one can dispute those old set ups. Bios, memories, relationships in the world, etc. The older characters had a lot more depth to them and a lot of that is what made them memorable to me. I would be lying if I said I never played them, but I mostly got to know them as neighbors and nuisances first and foremost. To this day, I remember my favorites.
  • Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 171 Member
    Both
    Both for me. I usually play on my own new families. But recently I've been playing with some pre-mades mainly re-designing them atm and re-decorating their houses. The Goths will always be my favourite. They were the first family that I played when I first got TS1 and their story has been my favourite throughout the game.

As for my new single female Sims, for some reason they always seem to gravitate towards Johnny Zest and I really have no idea why lol.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    None
    I played pre-made households in TS1 and TS2. They were OK but none of them were very interesting. I looked at the pre-made households when I first started playing TS4. I ended up deleting all of them in the Base Game because they were boring. The pre-made households that have shipped with EPs and GPs have continued to be just as boring and so they get deleted as well. Based on what I've read about the pre-mades coming with Country Living it looks like I'll be deleting or replacing most of them too.
  • crimsonnclover324crimsonnclover324 Posts: 73 Member
    Both
    Both - variety is the spice of life!!
    OriginID: crimsonclover324
    YachD4h.png
  • EarcatEarcat Posts: 461 Member
    Old families
    There's nothing like the characters from Sims1. EA doesn't even try to make characters interesting any more.
  • FlamingoKicker1FlamingoKicker1 Posts: 4,473 Member
    edited July 2021
    Old families
    Well something is odd cause in my game one of my families got a call from Agatha Crumplebottom and she was black? I don't think that's canon in the old characters. She must be a variant from another universe. Most of the premades tend to die off pretty fast anyway before I get around to looking at them. I do wonder though if Bob Newbie and Bob Pancakes aren't related somehow, if only spiritually.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Old families
    I primarily do my own, but Sims wouldn't be the Sims without the likes of the Goths, Pleasants, Caliente's, and others we expect from past games at least in the background as part of the world our sims inhabit.
  • TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    Both
    the more the merrier :)
    // take me back to 2018.
  • bookwormsimmer25bookwormsimmer25 Posts: 24 Member
    Old families
    I loved pre-made families in TS2 and their unique stories!
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited September 2021
    Both
    I like the pre made townies in general, old and new. The games that do them best imo are Sims 4 and Sims 2. Sims like Vlad, the Pancakes, the Landgraabs, etc are pretty iconic and I like having instantly recognisable characters like them in my game
  • KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    None
    None. This is a dollhouse simulator, not an rpg or a walking sim. Maybe if I needed help from the game in coming up with playthrough ideas or some such, then I'd care about them, but they just seem so ill-fittingly static in a world shaped by my imagination, like someone drew in my notebook or painted clouds for me on my canvas. One of the very things that keep me away from Sims 2.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,552 Member
    Both
    Both. In my current save, I’m playing Morgyn Ember, but that’s rare. I usually play my own characters and their supporting cast, with the premades rounding out the community. It’s fun when you get to meet an established character all over again or strike up a relationship with one of the new ones. I do wish we had more town characters that had impact, though. I’ll never forget the time my Sims 3 singer had to leave town because the Alto family put a hit on him. LOL! I miss that crime boss!
  • VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    None
    I mainly create my own sims and give them my own back stories. Much more of a unique game experience for me that way.
  • WarGreymon77WarGreymon77 Posts: 127 Member
    Old families
    I really enjoy The Sims lore, but at the same time, they really took a dark turn with the Pleasantview families from TS1 to TS2. The Pleasants got it bad. The Newbies are dead. And the Goths... who knows. But I like to try to turn their lives around.
  • SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 814 Member
    Both
    Usually the Premade Families tend to be in the background in my Saves, and my Sims, even those I placed as Cameos, interact with them; my Child and Teen Sims tends to talk with Townies at school or at home while the adult Sims chat with their Co-Workers. It's fun to meet an established family at work or in town
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • theemaskedsimmertheemaskedsimmer Posts: 63 Member
    Both
    I enjoy playing both. I like the old and the stories they tell. To me it is nostalgic. However, I do enjoy the new ones. I do not think the stories they tell are as deep as the old. Which in a way is a good thing because I feel like I can mold and make them my own better. I also make my own Sims from time to time. So I guess I am with it all!
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited February 2022
    None
    I have never cared about NPCs/premades in any of the Sims games. I focus on my own creations.

(Only ones that sort of interest me are the vampires from Vampires gamepack, mermaids from Island Living, and Spellcasters from RoM. I don’t play them, but I sometimes have my sims be friendly with them.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    edited February 2022
    Both
    I love both because you can have fun with new families as well as old ones. But i also like the lore of the old ones like the Goths, pleasants, Curious family, etc. One mistake i feel about TS4 is not following the lore of the old games. Like i ultimately enjoy playing with the pleasant family on TS4 because u live out their college years, and can ultimately marry them in that neighborhood should you want. In TS2, i always played out their story. However, as someone else said, i like how in TS2, you open the game, and some scripted events occur- like pascal's alien baby (really liked strangetown btw!), don leaves cassandra at the alter- although there are ways around that! In Ts3, i didn't really see a connection with other premades other than the ones that i am aware of because of TS2.
    But both because i play TS4 now, and ultimately am creating my own sims plus haaving them interact with each other.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • TawkTawk Posts: 23 Member
    Both
    Both.
    Familiarity is nice. But it's also good seeing new characters coming out.
  • AdamBurtSimsAdamBurtSims Posts: 37 Member
    Both
    Even I new to The Sims Universes, I been learn and research the Sims, I like old Characters like Bella Goth and Pleasant Sisters, I know stories about them in past Sims. As with new Characters like Liberty Bell, Summer Holidays and Behr Sisters. So both.
    I'm a British Geek who love Bella Goth, Behr sisters, Liberty Lee, Summer Holidays, Pleasant sisters and other Sims wafius/girlfriends. And like his Sims cats.g8pvk4adgueh.jpg
  • beckyx1991beckyx1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Old families
    The Sims 2 lore and back stories of the pre maxes had me hooked, The Sims 4 ‘alternate universe’ just doesn’t do it for me with the blank canvas premades
  • blaq797blaq797 Posts: 145 Member
    edited July 2022
    Both
    Premades are intended to help people learn and get used to the game. Yet, if one takes a look at Sims 2 pre-mades; they went overboard in depth with many of those. The Pleasants, Goths, Brokes, and others. These families that were pre-made became staples of the franchise.

Trouble is, while having the originally known families are well and good; whats missing is having subsequent generations [or at least on descendant generation] added in where one could see a possible lineage from Angela Pleasant down to mixing in with Landgrab to maybe look at a present generation of the Broke family.

Or, looking at Strangetown and the older generations of the Curious line along with the Beakers and the Spectors. Maxis created a huge mystery in Strangetown that they really havent bothered to look at some of those older generations like Notso Curious or Glam Curious... I picked both because while the known pre-mades are nice. We could use some "new" families that either look at the early years of the premade lines, or descendant generations down the line.

Say the first or second generation of the Beaker or Curious Families, along with the Tricous and an early generation from there...

The point is that we want more story to fill in the blanks.
    Sorry, Avatar is merely my favorite Sims 4 sim.
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    None
    I don't remember pre-made Sims, but ones I made have come out of the game and gained a life of their own. I know them, could remake them in new Sims games, and add new ones.

For the record, there are some pre-made Sims I can't stand. I could smoke them all and start over without missing any of them.
  • sunnycakessunnycakes Posts: 75 Member
    Both
    I like both, I have only played 3 and 4 but some of the families from 3 are nice. I don't like a lot of the basegame families from 4 but I like the pack ones, I think the most iconic pack sim is Judith Ward, I can't think of a more iconic pack sim. Bella Goth is more iconic but she is from the basegame. Although Judith Ward and Bella Goth are sims, not families despite Bella Goth coming in a family, and Judith Ward is simply a standalone sim. I got a little off-topic, but the point is that I like both old sims families and newer ones. Newer since the oldest families in The Sims 4 are from when the game first came out in 2014.
    Be yourself; life is not about pleasing others, it's about pleasing yourself. Don't try to please others if it makes you uncomfortable. If others judge you for who you are, ignore them. If what you do makes you happy, continue.