Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If you actively play sims 4, when did you start playing the sims?

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited January 2022
    The biginning of Sims 4 (2014-2018)
    Maybe I should have selected "I don't mainly play the sims 4." I used to play mainly the sims4 during 2014-2018. Before that I used to play many different games. I liked character customization and experiencing new and different stories in games so The Sims4 was offering me something where I could create a lot of different characters and live their stories.

But these stories have started getting old now so I have gone back to play other games. I still play the game occasionally, but they are often very short play sessions.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    When I was around a teenager and had my first solid job I bought a PC. Prior to that I had an old original Apple Macintosh so this was a huge technological upgrade for me haha. The Sims game was just released at that time, so I bought the game for my computer and loved it. It was so amazing to me that Bob and Betty Newbie could drink coffee and listen to their stereo in the game at the same time as I was drinking coffee and listening to my stereo. Anytime I see Sims 1 or 2 items in Sims 4 I get so happy. :heart:

The game series has kept me entertained literally for twenty years, but I did not actively start playing the Sims 4 until maybe a few years ago. I can't remember when exactly, but I had no interest to play it without toddlers, seasons etc. and also I had no interest in the cartoony graphics of Sims 3 and rabbit hole filled open laggy world. So technically, I played Sims 2 right up until a few years ago. :joy:

I discovered Sims Freeplay and briefly fell in love with it, but my game suddenly got so dark because I got attached to my families and they introduced these Life Orbs and I had to mass slave and kill all my Sims in order to build expansion areas and it was just so, so horrible. Can you imagine if in Sims 4 you couldn't unlock a new expansion pack unless you slaved your Sims in repetitive tasks until elder age and then harvested orbs from their dead bodies to pay for the new areas? What the cowplant was that about. Then they added a store with costs up to almost a hundred dollars and time limited quests where I could never actually complete anything in time and missed out on all the new items, which were then offered for sale. So now I just like to stop in once in a while, especially on holidays when they have fun stuff happening, because I really like their toddlers, babies and cute interactive items and quests.

I also play other games too, mainly casual games like hidden object puzzles on my PC or puzzle, farming and cooking games on my iPad.
  • VyneVyne Posts: 43 Member
    Sims 2 and 3 era (2004-2014) + Simsfreeplay
    I played sims 3 and 2 with a playstation 2 and a xbox 360 console. I was a child and then I was messing with the Sims 2. I usually got sims 3 when I was around 13 to 15. My discs are at a different place and my Sims 3 pet's disc is so old that it had like cracks lol
    0zd1knkd2pmo.jpg
    The fate is always on your hands.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,548 Member
    Elliandre wrote: »

I discovered Sims Freeplay and briefly fell in love with it, but my game suddenly got so dark because I got attached to my families and they introduced these Life Orbs and I had to mass slave and kill all my Sims in order to build expansion areas and it was just so, so horrible. Can you imagine if in Sims 4 you couldn't unlock a new expansion pack unless you slaved your Sims in repetitive tasks until elder age and then harvested orbs from their dead bodies to pay for the new areas? What the cowplant was that about. Then they added a store with costs up to almost a hundred dollars and time limited quests where I could never actually complete anything in time and missed out on all the new items, which were then offered for sale. So now I just like to stop in once in a while, especially on holidays when they have fun stuff happening, because I really like their toddlers, babies and cute interactive items and quests.

This is also why I quit playing FreePlay. I was even the moderator of a FreePlay Facebook community at the time and had bought items with real money. When they introduced Life Orbs and grinding for points, I parked my favorite Sims safely in their homes, and never really went back.

• eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    I'm surprised we're so overwhelmingly from the olden days, and so far no-one hails from the full decade of Sims 2-3.

I'll also posit: the Sims 4 has been out now for a hundred years, and has frustrated its users in a range of ways, so people who still play it in 2022 may do so for partly nostalgic reasons.

I started around 2002/2003 with The Sims 1 on GameCube. The console versions of the games were always different from PC versions. The Sims 4 is the first game I've ever played that had things like stairs, roofs, foundations, huge catalogs of build/buy items, swatches, actual neighborhoods, different worlds, DLC's, etcetera. While I loved the console games they were incredibly limited.

I was shocked when I first tried The Sims 3 on console, but unfortunately that game was so laggy and broke I never played it long enough to really create anything so I abandoned the franchise entirely. Then comes The Sims 4, the same exact game ported from PC. When I got the base game I was overwhelmed with it, couldn't believe what I was missing all along on the PC versions. Started buying DLC's and that's all she wrote.

Moral of the story, and I might be in the minority here, not everyone is from the PC era and absolutely despises The Sims 4. I started this journey on console almost 20 years ago. The Sims 4 is miles better than any of the previous console versions (minus the story modes that I miss on console), which is all I have to go off because I've never played the OG games on PC. I've tried to play The Sims 3 on PC and I can't get past the graphics anymore after being spoiled with The Sims 4 graphics. So The Sims 4 is all I've got to play until something new comes along.
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    cyncie wrote: »

This is also why I quit playing FreePlay. I was even the moderator of a FreePlay Facebook community at the time and had bought items with real money. When they introduced Life Orbs and grinding for points, I parked my favorite Sims safely in their homes, and never really went back.

Glad I am not the only one then. Did you have that life points glitch during the holiday where if you switched to a different location you got a point and it kept happening? I really collected some life points then until they caught it lol.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,548 Member

Glad I am not the only one then. Did you have that life points glitch during the holiday where if you switched to a different location you got a point and it kept happening? I really collected some life points then until they caught it lol.

I remember that. I didn’t play too long after they introduced the orbs. I was working a lot and just didn’t have time to babysit the game and grind for the points.
    The Sims era (2000-2004)

I remember that. I didn’t play too long after they introduced the orbs. I was working a lot and just didn’t have time to babysit the game and grind for the points.

Yeah, I was working too and not playing much games and it was frustrating with time limited quests. At least your Sims stayed safe. :wink:
  • HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    edited January 2022
    Recently (2020-Now)
    Likely heavily bias in poll because what fans are more likely to use an offical forum for EA for ages? Either people familiar with old web or very old fans.

Anywho, always been interested but was sorta delayed in actually playing until I actually got a computer good enough to try it. And my spouse poked me into it sorta. Either or, still my favorite "life sim" out there. SO MUCH CONTROL OVER LIVES.

...no wonder my ultra-conservative mother decided not to let me have the game because she didn't want me to "play god." :P

But you know what game system I did have?! The Gameboy Advance. And I played the heck out of Sims 2 for the GBA. Couldn't ever finish it though...
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • ImagebearImagebear Posts: 46 Member
    I don't mainly play the sims 4.
    Handel wrote: »
    Likely heavily bias in poll because what fans are more likely to use an offical forum for EA for ages? Either people familiar with old web or very old fans.

Anywho, always been interested but was sorta delayed in actually playing until I actually got a computer good enough to try it. And my spouse poked me into it sorta. Either or, still my favorite "life sim" out there. SO MUCH CONTROL OVER LIVES.

...no wonder my ultra-conservative mother decided not to let me have the game because she didn't want me to "play god." :P

But you know what game system I did have?! The Gameboy Advance. And I played the heck out of Sims 2 for the GBA. Couldn't ever finish it though...

The poll here is just one of the samples. I also made a poll on reddit. Interestingly the results is similar. But as @simgirl1010 said, there are players that's too young to use social internet yet. I heard a lot of people sharing their experience playing the sims as a kid. Although I never knew the sims untill freeplay, I did enjoy simulation games like theme hospital and insaniqarium that is similar to the sims.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    Imagebear wrote: »
    The poll here is just one of the samples. I also made a poll on reddit. Interestingly the results is similar. But as @simgirl1010 said, there are players that's too young to use social internet yet. I heard a lot of people sharing their experience playing the sims as a kid. Although I never knew the sims untill freeplay, I did enjoy simulation games like theme hospital and insaniqarium that is similar to the sims.

I only said the younger players don't seem to frequent the official forum. They may be on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, etc.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited January 2022
    I started at 2015 and I've only played Sims 4, but I've been interested & followed the Sims games since the beginning. I've watched a lot of let's play videos from the Sims 2 and 3 and a few from the first one. I'm very happy with Sims 4, but the other Sims game I've always wanted to play is Sims 2. Of course I'd like to try Sims 3 too, but I don't care about the open world and being restricted to one world only. The other things that I don't like about in Sims 3 are the graphic style or how the Sims look.
  • EneroDesyembreEneroDesyembre Posts: 64 Member
    I started playing at around maybe 2011 with sims 2 handheld spinoffs. I can't remember which one I started with exactly, but it's either Ts2 castaway (psp), ts2 (gba) or urbz (gba).
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Imagebear wrote: »
    VeeDub wrote: »
    The text in the choices is a bit misleading, because "Sims 2 and 3 era (2004-2014) + Simsfreeplay" doesn't really describe my situation at all. :lol: I had no interest in Sims 1 or 2 (still don't), and the first game in the franchise that I played was Sims 3 sometime in 2011ish, maybe 2012, but it was only for a few weeks because I didn't enjoy it, and I never played it again after that. I couldn't even work up enough interest in it to mod it. I also played no other games at all from the franchise until Sims 4 sometime in early 2019. If I had gone with the time part of the poll choices, I might have picked "The Sims Mobile (2018-2020)+ sims 4 free download" despite never having played those at all (and never will, as I don't like mobile games in general), because I don't consider myself a Sims fan from before that time period.

The timing is more important here since the question is when. The text of choice is just the monuments of the franchise in that period of time. Also sims 4 free download is actually an event in eary 2019 instead of a game.

Therefore I'll consider you as the 2018-2020 option.

Also thanks for sharing your experience.

Oh, hahaha. For some reason my brain read that as "sims 4 free" download (as in "sims for free" download). D'oh! :lol: But yeah, that would've actually been the correct choice for me.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • ImDragoneImDragone Posts: 76 Member
    edited January 2022
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    I've played Sims since base game of Sims 1. :)
    I have a long history of being uncommitted to a family from 1-4, but I'm planning on a legacy family in 5 that I'll keep adding sims to game for marriages, because I don't like the NPCs. The NPCs rarely have Genius, or Good. :/

But, someone stole both of our Sims 1 copies over time (they stole both our original Sims 1 copies from when it was new, and our complete Sims 1 collection copy we got after it was old), our Sims 2 copies, and our hard copies of Sims 3.

My Sims 3, and Sims 4 are on Origin, bound to my legal name, to guard against theft, because these people are always stealing the discs. The discs take up too much space in this little house anyways.

Once 5 comes out, I will be moving on to it over 4. At this point, I know the most recent Sims is always the best one.
  • WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    I started with Sim City then pounced on The Sims when it was announced. It’s just been
    mesmerizing seeing how the graphics have evolved over the years. And of course the highs and lows the franchise has been through.
  • BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,765 Member
    I play Sims 3 only, but do own Sims 4.
  • JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    To throw it back further, SimCity (1989) is actually what turned me into a Will Wright fangirl. By the time The Sims (2000) arrived, I happily enjoyed frying a couple computers w/ the Newbies!!!
  • AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    Middle of the sims 2 era. I got my first sim game on Christmas of 06. I was 11.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I started in 2006 with The Sims. And then I skipped to TS3. And then to TS4. I have never played TS2. I mean once I played for a bit at my friend's. But that's it.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    JunkyPoem wrote: »
    To throw it back further, SimCity (1989) is actually what turned me into a Will Wright fangirl. By the time The Sims (2000) arrived, I happily enjoyed frying a couple computers w/ the Newbies!!!

I loved that original SimCity and it's the only one of those I've played.

I don't actually mainly play Sims 4, I go back and forth between 2&4 and have only been playing 4 since 2019. But in answer to when I started playing Sims at all, it was 2000.

It's interesting to note that in every poll I've seen over the years on this forum, roughly 50% of respondents started with Sims 1. Not only that, but it frequently turns out that the same group has been part of the Sims forums for almost as long as they've existed. Not sure what that means exactly, other than we are... a persistent bunch.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    began with TSFP in 2015
    Oh hamburgers!
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    Sims 2 was already out when I started playing, but I started with Sims 1. I moved on to Sims 2 when Sims 3 was released and then moved on to Sims 3 a couple of years later. I played 3 for about a year before quitting playing the Sims altogether. Then when Sims 4 was released in 2014 I started playing again. Then circumstances prevented me from playing from 2017 to mid 2019. I came back to Sims 4 in 2019 and have been playing that one since. I think Sims 4 is the best one in the franchise.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    I started back when the original The Sims game first hit the store shelves...because shopping for games in an actual store was a thing back then.

I bought it with almost no idea what it was, but I saw the little Maxis logo in the corner of the box and was a long time fan of SimCity, SimCity 2000 and several other of their Sim games, like Sim Ant, Sim Tower, Sim Life, Sim Earth, Sim Golf...I really liked Sim Golf a lot, for some reason...and I don't even golf.

The rest, as they say, is history....I've put more hours of play into the Sims franchise since then than any other game franchise I've played. And I play a lot of games.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2022
    The Sims era (2000-2004)
    I think the issue is the media the polls are asked on.

I'd consider both here and Reddit "forum format", organised by subject - Though Reddit has it's funky reordering according to upvotes/replies thing going on, you participate in a similar way. You browse, reply and come back later to see responses and replies.

A lot more players use "social media format", organised by user or "chat media", organised by subject like forums, but both have instantaneous responses because people tend to stay logged in.

Older players grew up with bulletin boards/forums before social/chat media were really a thing. Some here even grew up with physical bulletin boards and mail on the regs.